• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breath of the Wild Link in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmaniac

Smash Rookie
It sounds good on paper but we've already had 3 different iterations of link, and it's a bit done to death. But a palette swap would work perfectly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Can this be used as an excuse to redesign Smash's Ganondorf from the ground up? His current moveset has next to no basis in Zelda canon and could really stand to be more unique.
well sakurai strikes me for a real stickler for what already established never making really dramatic changes to characters i think we stuck with ganondorf the way he is

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It sounds more like a "what if" statement than them ever having any plans to include Sheik into TP and more because Sakurai just needed a TP version of Sheik for Brawl and asked the Zelda dev's to whip something up for him during development (Especially when you include his statement from the Brawl dojo). I guess we can always ask PushDustIn PushDustIn for clarification on that. But alright, we're getting off topic on that as it is.

Back to BotW Link, If they where to replace the TP design's with the BotW version, They will most likely include both the traditional green tunic and the Champion's tunic as an alt, likewise for Zelda.
The Hyrule Historia says that Sheik's design was drawn specifically for Brawl. I checked the Japanese as well.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Can this be used as an excuse to redesign Smash's Ganondorf from the ground up? His current moveset has next to no basis in Zelda canon and could really stand to be more unique.

Shiek, as I understand it, has no relevance to the series anymore and, having lost her link to Zelda, doesn't really feel like she belongs anymore. I highly doubt Sakurai will cut her, though, he apparently can't even bring himself to fix Ganondorf for fear of fan backlash...
Taking the console name into account, I think it's time to "switch" things up with Ganondorf and make "Falcondorf" a thing of the past. He's getting backlash due to keeping the Falcondorf moveset. There's no way to avoid backlash.

As for Sheik, she just was very situational in OoT. They tried to implement her in TP but was scrapped due to TP Zelda's role in the game. As popular as BotW is, I'm expecting a SS situation again due to BotW having no proper counterparts for the Triforce Trio +Sheik. I'm still hoping for the HW designs to be used and for Lana to become playable even if people call me crazy. Linkle as an Assist Trophy too.

"B-but Koei-Tecmo..." If they managed to make a deal with Square-Enix for the super popular Cloud, the Midgar stage with all of its bells and whistles and 2 classic FFVII tracks, dealing with Koei-Tecmo should be much easier to do.

@BotW Link: Game mechanics would pretty much demand a separate character "slot" due to how equipment works in that game as well as BotW Link's skill with different weapons.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The idea would be interesting, but I'm sure people wouldn't want another version of Link after all the unique Zelda characters we have. Just a thought.

That's why I'm expecting a costume or redesign for Smash Switch at best.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The idea would be interesting, but I'm sure people wouldn't want another version of Link after all the unique Zelda characters we have. Just a thought.

That's why I'm expecting a costume or redesign for Smash Switch at best.
Yeah, the idea of a third Link wouldn't go well with the average Smash fan or even Zelda fans considering the large cast of characters but this particular incarnation of Link is worth it, I think.

A trophy and a new blue alt for the main Link would be the most likely possibilities right now.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I find it hard to imagine Sakurai giving a complete overhaul to the way Link plays to match his BotW incarnation. It is the next big step for the franchise, but I don't see them abandoning what was established by the previous games in the series. Sure Zelda broke the mold from conventions of past games in the series, but given that Smash is celebration of each series' entire history, I doubt they'd make the leap. Perhaps make a few tweaks here and there, but not an overhaul.

I could see them adding a palette swap or maybe even a proper costume, as well as some customs if those carry over into a new Smash. Aside from that a stage and some music from BotW also seem par for the course.

That being said, this is assuming the next Smash game uses BotW as a primary source of Zelda content in the first place. If we get an enhanced port of Smash Wii U, I can't see them making any changes to Link or the other Zelda characters. Some trophies and music are the only things I think we can realistically expect.

If we're talking about the next proper installment in the Super Smash Bros. series, then I do think we'll get some BotW content, but whose to say that by then we won't have another Zelda game as well?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Just give us the naked Link costume and all is good.

Just kidding, the Blue Breath of the Wild costume should be good enough. Having a third Link isn't really worth it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know i feel they missed a trick with amiibo in botw, they could have had them generate items and gear based on the amiibos, we could of had captain toads pick axe, rosalina's wand chibi-robo's toothbrush, an animal crossing shovel, an inkbrush from splatoon

oh well

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The cheer outfit from Triforce Heroes for Toon Link is also a must have.
You have the game but you didn't make a beeline straight for what is clearly the best outfit in the game? Baffling.
I just got the game in a few days and the new mechanics can allow me to die alot, sooooo.... :p

Definitely looking toward to unlock it later on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
BOTW Link is probably one of the most alt-rich characters possible. So many possibilities.
Personally, I think the best approach is eight of the canon BOTW costume: 4 w/o hood, 4 w.

Since I think the hooded look is really cool too.

I'd honestly like if they retooled Link to be a faster character to reflect the fact BOTW Link doesn't lug around as much gear (at least in terms of Smash Bros., since his bombs would be digital in a way).

And just because I don't like Link's slow ass in Smash Bros. :/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
BOTW Link is probably one of the most alt-rich characters possible. So many possibilities.
Personally, I think the best approach is eight of the canon BOTW costume: 4 w/o hood, 4 w.

Since I think the hooded look is really cool too.

I'd honestly like if they retooled Link to be a faster character to reflect the fact BOTW Link doesn't lug around as much gear (at least in terms of Smash Bros., since his bombs would be digital in a way).

And just because I don't like Link's slow *** in Smash Bros. :/
What are you on about in BotW I had at least fifty pairs of bananas and the better part of a butcher shop for like half the game

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Personally I'd be fine with an alt in the vain of Cloud's Advent Children costume. In this case, simply being the Champion's Tunic and Hyrule Pants, which is what all of his promotional art shows him wearing. I think that's more than reasonable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Hyrule Historia says that Sheik's design was drawn specifically for Brawl. I checked the Japanese as well.
And yet the Smash Dojo of Brawl said that Sheik's appearance was drafted upon during the development of Twilight Princess, and she was meant to appear in the game originally.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The BETTER Gerudo outfit. It's either the vai outfit or nothing at all.
i disagree but it doesnt matter

And yet the Smash Dojo of Brawl said that Sheik's appearance was drafted upon during the development of Twilight Princess, and she was meant to appear in the game originally.
they never said she was meant to appear in tp only that it was made during development, so we can guess based on the two different stameants that the design for shiek was made for brawl while tp was still in development

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Sheik doesn’t appear in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, but we based her model on a design that was drafted up during the development of that game.
All he said was that her design was drafted up during the development of Twilight Princess, nothing about her being originally planned for that game, for all we know Sakurai approached the Zelda team during the development of Twilight Princess and asked them if they could make a Twilight Princess esque design of Sheik for him to use in Brawl.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
The Sheik idea was probably brought briefly and early during development since TP was based on OoT. It was quickly scrapped after the concept of Midna becoming the "sidekick" and "guide" came to be.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The Sheik idea was probably brought briefly and early during development since TP was based on OoT. It was quickly scrapped after the concept of Midna becoming the "sidekick" and "guide" came to be.
here's the thing now one who worked on tp has ever said that they considered putting sheik in tp

Luminario

Smash Lord
Kinda feel like we're going in circles with whether or not the Sheik design was for TP.
Though while we're on the subject of Sheik I kinda want her design updated with the hair bun from the Sheikah outfit in BotW.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
As I said, very, very early development stage. The period where ideas and concepts are thrown in and then seeing what sticks. TP was originally going to be a sequel to Wind Waker until Aonuma talked with Kimishima and heard about the western fans not really liking the "CEL-DA" look WW had. Also, "no one" has said otherwise regarding a possible TP Sheik because the question hasn't been brought up. As for a Sheik update, I want the HW design with part of the HW moveset (the harp and kunai) incorporated since it feels far more faithful to the original Sheik. Anyway, we're going off-topic.

Back to topic, the trap outfit? Most likely as a trophy or referenced in a default BotW Link trophy description. Just asking for a third Link is already pushing it as it is. An overhaul to the main Link to incorporate BotW mechanics is unlikely due to spoiler reasons regarding 2 other Zelda characters. The most I can see is a new lighter blue TP tunic and even that could end up being locked behind an amiibo.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
It sure does.

In Japanese and in English (side note: I really like how Brawl's translation are pretty faithful).

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
As I said, very, very early development stage. The period where ideas and concepts are thrown in and then seeing what sticks. TP was originally going to be a sequel to Wind Waker until Aonuma talked with Kimishima and heard about the western fans not really liking the "CEL-DA" look WW had. Also, "no one" has said otherwise regarding a possible TP Sheik because the question hasn't been brought up. As for a Sheik update, I want the HW design with part of the HW moveset (the harp and kunai) incorporated since it feels far more faithful to the original Sheik. Anyway, we're going off-topic.

Back to topic, the trap outfit? Most likely as a trophy or referenced in a default BotW Link trophy description. Just asking for a third Link is already pushing it as it is. An overhaul to the main Link to incorporate BotW mechanics is unlikely due to spoiler reasons regarding 2 other Zelda characters. The most I can see is a new lighter blue TP tunic and even that could end up being locked behind an amiibo.
That'd be incredibly disappointing considering Cloud, Bayonetta, Robin, etc. all have completely different looks. It'd be a shame if that's all Link got when this is widely considered one of, if not the, greatest of Zelda games of all time. Especially when this is the TP of the Switch in terms of pushing units. It's fully within the realm of reasonable possibility to create a faithful BotW costume on the current Link.

Also when has Sakurai cared about spoilers? I invoke Porky in Subspace Emissary.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Kinda feel like we're going in circles with whether or not the Sheik design was for TP.
Though while we're on the subject of Sheik I kinda want her design updated with the hair bun from the Sheikah outfit in BotW.
well thats cause there's only two bits of info, first sakurai says that the design of shiek is of how she would have appeared in TP which many took to mean she was meant to be in TP then HH says the design was for brawl and some people still think that shiek was meant to be in TP despite that fact that no one ever claimed she was

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
TP was originally going to be a sequel to Wind Waker until Aonuma talked with Kimishima
What. Are we talking about Tatsumi Kimishima? Don't you mean Miyamoto or Iwata?

I think the moveset described in the OP is remarkably faithful - at least more than some other characters' movepool *cough*Falcondorf*cough* and warrants even more of a spot within the roster than Toon Link or Ganondorf.

No trap outfit, no support though.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
_Sheik _Sheik : Yes, Tatsumi Kimishima. He was the president of Nintendo of America at the time. The WW feedback was from him. It was thanks to that feedback that Aonuma decided to make the next Zelda game (TP) much more realistic and "darker". Using OoT as the base instead of going for the "cel-shading" chibi style used in WW.

As for the trap outfit, it depends on whether BotW Link is used at all. This wouldn't be the first time a more recent Link wouldn't be used for Smash in favor of an older one due to...reasons. I didn't like BotW itself, even considering the worst Zelda I've ever played but this particular incarnation of Link has its merits.

Just like SS, there's no true counterparts for Sheik and Ganondorf which puts BotW Link in a rather difficult position since these characters come in a set. They could try to pull a TP Sheik again but why bother doing all that when you have entire Triforce Trio plus Sheik with newer designs thanks to Hyrule Warriors. There's also the possibility of a new line of Smash amiibo.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
As for the trap outfit, it depends on whether BotW Link is used at all. This wouldn't be the first time a more recent Link wouldn't be used for Smash in favor of an older one due to...reasons. I didn't like BotW itself, even considering the worst Zelda I've ever played but this particular incarnation of Link has its merits.

Just like SS, there's no true counterparts for Sheik and Ganondorf which puts BotW Link in a rather difficult position since these characters come in a set. They could try to pull a TP Sheik again but why bother doing all that when you have entire Triforce Trio plus Sheik with newer designs thanks to Hyrule Warriors. There's also the possibility of a new line of Smash amiibo.
Let me guess, the breakable weapons and open world aspects turned you off?

Not that I can really judge it myself since I've only cleared four shrines out of this masisve world.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 : Here goes my little rant of sorts...unpopular opinions incoming:

- Breakable weapons and going through several menu windows for items and other weapons.
- "Open world" has never been my thing. I never found the previous "sidekicks" such as Navi, Midna or Fi annoying.
- No memorable "music". It's boring.
- Map is big for the sake of being big.
- "Story" is terrible.
- Ganon
was basically turned into a rage-quitter.
- This incarnation of Zelda is terrible. SS Zelda is still the best incarnation.
- No memorable boss battles.
- Placement of this game in the timeline is kinda vague.
- Final battle is lacking.
- No memorable villain like Zant, Aghanim, Vaati or Ghirahim.
- Master Sword is basically in its weakest state ever. It's for the sake of balance in the game but it still feels bad.
- Too many shrines. It feels like a chore if you try to do all of them.
- English voice acting is...pretty bad for the most part, especially Zelda. To quote your Ephraim avatar: "Disgusting"

Good grief, that was longer than I expected. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea but like I mentioned before, this incarnation of Link has its merits and stands out from other incarnations. The ones closest to it in variety would be HW Link and the Link from Tri-force Heroes.

Good things about this game: Paya and...cooking.

- Only reasons I even play it anymore.

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
SPOILERS AHEAD

If they wanted to make Zelda based off of BotW, they could repurpose the Champion Abilities to stand in for her goddess powers (Daruk's Protection for Nayru's Love, Urbosa's Fury for Din's Fire, Revali's Gale for Farore's Wind). Their function wouldn't be entirely faithful to BotW but the goddess powers weren't entirely faithful to OoT either, so that's not a problem. Her outfit can be based on her blue dress from the first Memory. Final Smash should be changed to some sort of Triforce beam (but still function kind of like her original FS).

For BotW Link, moveset would mostly be the same as Smash standard; maybe make his default Boomerang Gale-less but keep that as a Custom and make the Remote functionality of Bombs another Custom (making them automatic detonation by default). He'd also have to snag a Hookshot/Clawshot from a previous Link, but if Zelda can have a Phantom than stealing a Hookshot should be fine for Link. Outfit should be the Tunic of the Wild as default with the Champion's Tunic + recolors being an alternate.

Sheik's easy; just keep her moveset the same as before. As someone already suggested, outfit can be the Stealth set but with the Sheik Hood (and her Brawl/4 braided ponytail). Done. Borrow my Zelda Triforce Beam FS.

Ganondorf's moveset should still stay rooted in its Falcondorf ways, but be spiced up more (replace his Up-B with a "warp" type jump, turn his default Warlock Punch into something like the Sword-based Custom from Smash 4, etc); Final Smash would work the same but be replaced by Calamity Ganon. However, he's in a terribly awkward position for design. TP would be boring, but he has no design in BotW. I'm thinking something kinda like HW's design (mainly with having a giant red mane/shock of hair, which the Ganon forms in BotW also have) but less colorful and clean-cut... alternatively, I'd love to see something akin to his TP concept art.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 : Here goes my little rant of sorts...unpopular opinions incoming:

- Breakable weapons and going through several menu windows for items and other weapons.
- "Open world" has never been my thing. I never found the previous "sidekicks" such as Navi, Midna or Fi annoying.
- "Story" is terrible.
- Ganon
- This incarnation of Zelda is terrible. SS Zelda is still the best incarnation.
- Master Sword is basically in its weakest state ever. It's for the sake of balance in the game but it still feels bad.
- English voice acting is...pretty bad for the most part, especially Zelda. To quote your Ephraim avatar: "Disgusting"

Good grief, that was longer than I expected. Anyway, it's not my cup of tea but like I mentioned before, this incarnation of Link has its merits and stands out from other incarnations. The ones closest to it in variety would be HW Link and the Link from Tri-force Heroes.

if you dislike it so heavily then why bother coming to this thread at all?

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
ThatsBullocks ThatsBullocks : I considered those options as well but then I remembered what happened to Smash 4 and SS (which would have been less work for Sheik and Ganondorf at the time) and I'd rather have the TP designs instead of that were the case. I still want the "Falcondorf" moveset gone permanently, though.

fogbadge fogbadge : Did you read my previous posts? I dislike BotW but this incarnation of Link has its merits which is what I'm looking at. Making it an alt of the TP Link would be a disservice to this particular incarnation.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

- "Story" is terrible.
- Ganon

To be honest, I'm mixed on Breath of the Wild as a game but a lot of these complaints are not even true or is not even worth complaining about.
Like...why does the timeline negatively affect the game? The official timeline is bad anyways. Also, BOTW Zelda is way better than most of the other ones. Actually had a character arc, goals, flaws, etc. Whereas SS Zelda was pretty much this perfect little waifu.
Etc. I don't think a lot of these really mean anything.

(also lol @ "no memorable music". Clearly haven't been to Hyrule Castle yet)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom