• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breath of the Wild Link in Smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
All of the yes. Especially with the two minute cut scene every time it happens.
The real Final Smash isn't the laser beam, it's the long-*** wait
Not bad but it'd expect the "scene" part to be omitted. I also thought of him temporarily equipping the strongest weapons of the game and then...
pinning his opponents with them and then we'd get the Champions and the Divine Beasts blast the pinned opponents.

Also, to add to the Zelda designs...here's the concept art of HW Zelda that's also consistent with the traditional Zeldas.
IMG_1626.PNG

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm surprised everyone is going with the a "breakable weapons" mechanic for BOTW Link when not only does Robin also have this, but it'd be much more fitting for him to use the Sheikah Slate's Rune as his focus. It would quickly set BOTW Link apart from the other Links since neither use crazy techno-magic :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm surprised everyone is going with the a "breakable weapons" mechanic for BOTW Link when not only does Robin also have this, but it'd be much more fitting for him to use the Sheikah Slate's Rune as his focus. It would quickly set BOTW Link apart from the other Links since neither use crazy techno-magic :p
So you want Link to be a top tier character? :troll:

Just kidding, even he wouldn't be a top tier character with those Runes.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
His use of breakable weapons would be different from Robin's. I thought of Sheikah Slate runes being used for throws or as part of a combo with the weapon.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
As far as breakable weapons go, I'd not have them break when used for attacks. He could, however, have a move that throws your current weapon, like in BotW. It deals extra damage and has more range (obviously) when thrown, but it breaks, so you'd need to pull out a new one. For example, if you're holding the sword, you can throw it at an opponent, after which he'll pull out the spear instead.

I'd definitely give the runes a heavy focus too, given that they do replace traditional Zelda items in Breath of the Wild. I'd probably have the four of them make up his specials.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm confused, is this a genuine support thread or just a place to talk about Breath of the Wild stuff?

Then again, the one who made this mysteriously disappeared.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So you want Link to be a top tier character? :troll:

Just kidding, even he wouldn't be a top tier character with those Runes.
T I E R S D O N T E X I S T

His use of breakable weapons would be different from Robin's. I thought of Sheikah Slate runes being used for throws or as part of a combo with the weapon.
The problem is that Robin's way is the only one that wouldn't be messy. Robin is simple: He uses Levin Sword for his Smash attacks and aerials, but if he overuses it, it breaks, and he has to fall back on the weaker (but unbreakable)

Any other way and it would be too complicated, IMO. Having all of Link's standard moves using different weapon types that break at different rates, along with several special moves that also all break at different rates or not at all, is just...too much.

Last edited:
I'm confused, is this a genuine support thread or just a place to talk about Breath of the Wild stuff?

Then again, the one who made this mysteriously disappeared.
Supposed to be a legit support thread but has devolved into who knows what at a few points

Im being a little mroe lenient than usual because BotW hype is still at its height

I sort of want to lock this thread and make a new one since OP is poor for a support thread (sorry dude) but too much discussion happened too fast. (I assumed this thread would be dead since no one would care for a 3rd link)

If anyone really wants thread ownership to rewrite the thing contacting a mod will probably be enough since the OP vanished without a trace. Guess they didn't like SB that much

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
T I E R S D O N T E X I S T

The problem is that Robin's way is the only one that wouldn't be messy. Robin is simple: He uses Levin Sword for his Smash attacks and aerials, but if he overuses it, it breaks, and he has to fall back on the weaker (but unbreakable)

Any other way and it would be too complicated, IMO. Having all of Link's standard moves using different weapon types that break at different rates, along with several special moves that also all break at different rates or not at all, is just...too much.
Having them in a set rotation would keep things from getting TOO messy. Want a specific weapon type? Throw the one you have. Thrown weapon types would then enter a cooldown period until they're useable again.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think a better approach would be for Link's Master Sword to simple run out of juice like it does in BOTW - only to replaced by a rusty broadsword or something.

I imagine people would be upset that BOTW Link is just Link, but his Master Sword sucks because it can break. But it's faithful because that's how the Master Sword made me feel in BOTW.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I may be interested in making a more proper thread. I absolutely adore Breath of the Wild and I think I could do it justice. If you give me a day or so to mull it over I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Other than the most obvious blue rather than pink.
  1. She doesn't really have the decorated Apron. Only kinda
  2. Doesn't have the golden neck thing.
  3. Lacks gem in her crown.
  4. Doesn't have the upper body darker than skirt, color distribution. and the fact that chest and stomach is split up.
  5. Type of skirt. Like i said, similar to blue AlttP Design.
Zelda actually have really consistent designs, and BotW Zelda doesn't match it. She has a dress, but it's very specific to her and not a typical Princess Zelda dress. there's nothing directly negative about it, it's just that it's not that fitting for a general zelda which is why i don't think it should be used as main costume in smash.
Hmm, I guess I kind of see what you mean, although I'm not sure if Sakurai would ultimately care too much about these kind of details, I think that so long as she wears a royal/princess dress of some kind, has pointed ears and perhaps have a triforce symbol somewhere on her dress, most people can tell that she's supposed to be Zelda. At least, I personally don't think her design is any bigger of a departure than how the blonde, pink Zelda in heels in Melee went to a brunette, white/purple Zelda in boots.

If anything, her design seems to have a more simplistic approach going on, much like the original NES Zelda and with Link's Tunic of the Wild being reminiscent of the original classic Link design's. I think Sakurai would probably actually appreciate the more retro appeal the new Link and Zelda have, considering how much he seems to like to include these kind of retro throwbacks in his games, most particularly in Smash and KI U. But I guess that's just my opinion though.

Supposed to be a legit support thread but has devolved into who knows what at a few points

Im being a little mroe lenient than usual because BotW hype is still at its height

I sort of want to lock this thread and make a new one since OP is poor for a support thread (sorry dude) but too much discussion happened too fast. (I assumed this thread would be dead since no one would care for a 3rd link)

If anyone really wants thread ownership to rewrite the thing contacting a mod will probably be enough since the OP vanished without a trace. Guess they didn't like SB that much
Yeah, I guess it has become more of a general discussion for Breath of the Wild stuff in Smash Switch rather than a support thread for a the Link from BotW as the third Link in Smash (Which I don't think many people really supported anyway.)

My apologies for accidentally dragging this out longer than it really needed to though....

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All I'm thinking is that this would be the ultimate way to declone Link and Toon Link. And maybe have a reason to bring back Young Link.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea for updating Link to BOTW Link without massively reworking his moves.

Four major changes

1. No Hook/Clawshot
2. His double jump is done with Revali's Gift and he can hold jump to glide (like BOTW style gliding, not Brawl's one)
3. Link's Bombs act as normal Throwing items until attacked or Detonated with Down B again.
4. Weapon breaking. This one will take a while to explain.

Link's Sword, Shield, Bow and Boomerang have a limited use mechanic but upon the last hit the attack does increased damage and knockback or in the case of the Shield, reflects the projectile back. When Link's sword breaks he'll use a more comical weapon like a stick or soup ladle for the next few seconds, in case of the bow and Boomerang, it'll be like Robin without a Tome.

I'm thinking the recharge times will be less than Robin's but more liable to happen in normal gameplay but can be used to player advantage like using the weaker dud weapon attack to combo better.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A thing I've been secretly wanting for a while is a Luigi-esque 2 range grab move for link, wherein he has a small 0 damage hitbox that, if triggered during startup, causes him to do a quicker short range grab. In the middle distance he would still be somewhat slow to get hold of opponents but he's be quicker right up close and outrange hookless opponents.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm wondering what they CAN do with the open world. With every big Zelda game there was some new gimmick or art direction they worked with.

All I have is

* Other forms/characters: I imagine losing climbing ability in exchange for other movement options. Rito for incredible gliding, Zora for swimming Goron for Rolling around at the speed of sound, Gerudo to have a nice butt to look at... the list goes on.
* Dual World mechanic: It would be twice the work naturally but two opposing worlds where your actions in one change another would be cool.
* Remake Windwaker: None of this raft and leaf nonsense, I want a Wind Waker app on my Sheikah slate.
* Remake Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaurs make everything better.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The main thing I hope they improve on for a BotW sequel, as far as the fundamental structure goes, is adding to the contained story areas – like the Divine Beast quests. Not just in terms of quantity, but also in terms of quantity. The Zora quest isn't half bad, and the Gerudo "clan" subplot is good, but the others are very formulaic and short-lived. Adding more meat and variety to these quests, as well as maybe having a couple more in the game, is probably the best way to do a storyline in an open world like this. Each area can still have nice story and character arcs, such as saving a village from a mini-villain or something (and doing X things along the way), but the player is still free to tackle them in any order (or not at all) since they're not bound to a single, overarching narrative.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I support the idea, but if BotW Link would be THE link in Smash, that's a bit of a problem.

Link's current moveset is too iconic to just drop from Smash. There must be a other way, like adding some of the qualities he has from BotW into custom movesets or something akin to that.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm very sure we'll get more open-world Zeldas and more top-down Zeldas in the future.

It's the more linear 3d ones that I suspect might take an extended leave. But if I'm to be honest I got pretty tired of those, so I'm not complaining.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As far as breakable weapons go, I'd not have them break when used for attacks. He could, however, have a move that throws your current weapon, like in BotW. It deals extra damage and has more range (obviously) when thrown, but it breaks, so you'd need to pull out a new one. For example, if you're holding the sword, you can throw it at an opponent, after which he'll pull out the spear instead.

I'd definitely give the runes a heavy focus too, given that they do replace traditional Zelda items in Breath of the Wild. I'd probably have the four of them make up his specials.
I quite like this idea looking back, must have missed it when it was new.

My thoughts are that, when compared to the sword, spears would be have more range but weaker slash attacks, while axes would have stronger slash attacks but weaker thrusts and boomerangs, while worse than swords at both, would also be better at slashing than spears and better at thrusting than axes.
Where boomerangs would shine, though, is in their unique ability. The Forward B move that throws the other weapons would now work like regular Link's, only stronger, with a bigger hotbox and the disadvantage of leaving him unarmed while it's in the air.

Should the boomerang not make it back to Link, he'll have to use the move to pull another weapon, like normal, but, should he want rid of it, he can always pull the sword early while it's flying, causing the boomerang not to be picked up on its return.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One idea could be to do gamesBotW style, but base them in lands from other games. Like Termina or the Great Sea or the ones from the Game Boy & DS games.

Maybe the spaced out Owl Statues being the only save point would add some more tension to the game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i had the crazy idea of using stasis as a garb, so rather that grasp them he'd freeze them and then the throws would be based on building up force

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Something something, Zelda timeline. So Breath of the Wild is the most recent entry taking place years after all games in existence. It's still not fully clarified if it's in the Downfall or Child Timeline.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/281689-zelda-botw-dev-on-fan-critic-response-timeline-placement-divin
It takes place in an age long, long after any of the titles released to date.
If he's saying that it takes place after every game released. Is he implying that this game basically takes place at a point where the three timelines converged?

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Something something, Zelda timeline. So Breath of the Wild is the most recent entry taking place years after all games in existence. It's still not fully clarified if it's in the Downfall or Child Timeline.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/281689-zelda-botw-dev-on-fan-critic-response-timeline-placement-divin
Do you think they just bull**** their way through the timeline stuff? I'm pretty sure they just throw in loose references to past games and the players make timeline connections that just aren't actually there.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If he's saying that it takes place after every game released. Is he implying that this game basically takes place at a point where the three timelines converged?
Maybe.

Especially when Tingle and Ruta are referenced in the same game through the game's lore.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Maybe.

Especially when Tingle and Ruta are referenced in the same game through the game's lore.
It would explain why there are so many contradictory references throughout the game. I mean, yeah, Zelda usually isn't that strict when it comes to connections, Minish Cap referencing Wind Waker despite coming way before for example, but I think Breath of the Wild took it to the next level....

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Why stop at remixing Link?

We can have Link with his old moveset with a BoTW flavor:

Neutral B: Bow and Arrow
Charged up to the max, it turns into an Ancient Arrow.

Side B: Weapon Throw
Link throws his weapon, but it comes back to him by the law of "I don't have the time to think of a whole new way to balance a moveset where Link has no weapons for a while"

Up B: Updraft
Link jumps up and an updraft appears below him, so he takes out his paraglider to glide for a while

Down B: Remote Bomb
Same how it works in BoTW

Then Zelda with this moveset:

Neutral B: Daruk's Protection
Zelda dons a shield around her, reflecting projectiles

Side B: Urbosa's Fury
Din's Fire was changed from an AoE of pure destruction to a lil flame going boom so we do the same with Urbosa's Fury and turn it into a controllable "crackle" of electricity that releases a mini-thunderstorm when released.

Up B: Revali's Gale
Zelda jumps up

Down B: Mipha's Grace
Zelda gets Super Armor

Then have Impa use this moveset:

Neutral B: Sheikah Heirloom
Aka a puzzle orb, Impa magically holds it up in her hand and can throw it with another press of the button
Can also be picked up like an item, though it's an heavy item.

Some normals involve her axe hat, with which she can catch the heirloom and put it back into hammerspace.

Side B: Magnesis
Impa holds her hand forward and performs some kind of telekinesis.
Unlike in BoTW, this magnesis works on all carryable items.

Up B: Cryonis
Impa summons a block of Cryonis, which spins around like the ones in the Vah Ruta fight and thus carry her up

Down B: Stasis
Impa uses Stasis on an item of choice

But that's not where it stops, as Kilton can then use this moveset:

Neutral B: Monster Mask
Kilton dons one of his four monster masks (chosen by a Monado Art-like shuffle menu) and summons the chosen monster.
This monster will be an ally to Kilton as longs as he's donning the mask.
However, opponents can knock off the mask, which makes the monster attack whoever is closest to it.

The monsters have 30 HP, after which they are killed and leave Monster Parts behind.
Critters also come out of their body.
Monster parts and insects can be picked up and will appear on Kilton's UI like Dragoon and Daybreaker parts.

Only Kilton can pick up Monster Parts and critters
If Kilton has gathered three parts, be it insects, Monster Parts or a combination of both, the last part will be replaced if Kilton picks up new loot.

Kilton can summon four types of monsters:

Bokoblin are the weakest of the four, only attacking with their slow 7% claw attack, but they also drop the weakest loot:
Bokoblin Guts and Hasty Lizards

Lizalfos drop Lizalfos' Tails and Bladed Rhino Beetles and attack by spitting water, which deals 4% damage and light knockback.

Moblin drop Moblin Hearts and Rugged Rhino Beetles and attack by kicking downwards, dealing 7% damage and medium knockback

Lynel drop Hearty Lizards and Lynel Hearts and attack by firing fireballs that deal 10% damage and multi-hit medium knockback.
This might seem powerful, but the trick here is that the Lynel isn't fooled by the mask, making Kilton as much of a target as the opponents!

Side B: Monster Horse
Kilton jumps on a Stalhorse he tamed and sprints forward.
Opponents and monsters hit are damaged and knocked back (which gives Kilton a solid way to remove monsters)
However, that isn't the main use, as Kilton can pick up Monster Parts and critters while on the horse.
Kilton can approximately run from one side of FD to the other before the Stalhorse crumbles to a pile of bones.

Up B: Balloon Mop
Kilton takes his mop out of hammerspace and stands on it while the mop is horizontally and puts an Octorok Balloon on both sides of the mop, making it fly upwards.
While the mop is flying upwards, the player can adjust the balance of the mop by standing on a different part, which makes it fly in different directions.
Kilton flies until the opponent pops the balloons or until the balloons pop by themselves.

Since it acts as a platform, the Balloon Mop renews Kilton's Double Jump, but he cannot use his Up B for a while after it fell.

The platform aspects also gives Kilton a mobile place to hide his monsters, as Kilton can destroy one of the balloon's making it stop rising.

Down B: Cooking Pot
Kilton slams a Cooking Pot on the stage and throws all of his collected monster parts and critters in them to create an elixr

An elixr made with Hasty Lizard increases his movement speed
An elixr made with Bladed Rhino Beetle increases his damage output
An elixr made with Rugged Rhino Beetles increase Kilton's weight
An elixr made with Hearty Lizards heals a small amount of damage

The effect increases if Kilton uses two of the same critter instead of one
The Monster Parts have an effect as well, as Bokoblin Guts are weaker than Lizalfos' Tails which are weaker than Moblin Guts which are weaker than Lynel Hearts.
Try combining different monster drops, such as combining the Lizalfos' Bladed Rhino Beetles with the Lynel Hearts for a Monado Buster-level of damage output.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, Impa could also make use of the Sheikah Slate, and not replace a current character on the roster.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You know, Impa could also make use of the Sheikah Slate, and not replace a current character on the roster.
She doesn't even need the slate itself to perform the attacks imo, since Master Kohga is able to perform Magnesis without it.
Heck, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the runes from the Sheikah Slate are based upon traditional Sheikah magic.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
She doesn't even need the slate itself to perform the attacks imo, since Master Kohga is able to perform Magnesis without it.
Heck, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the runes from the Sheikah Slate are based upon traditional Sheikah magic.
That's honestly even better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom