• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I think that Ice Climbers gonna be reworked to play fine on both 3DS and Wiiu, like a single Ice Climber. All models are probaly done, so is half work!

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
For all the people that have lost faith in the Ice Climbers: please leave.
I don't want to hear the same stupid arguements over and over again, because for each arguement against the Ice Climbers there are more with them and if you keep trying to tackle the arguements with them, it just sounds like you don't want them to return.
If you've lost all faith in Ice Climbers then that is your choice, but you don't have to share your negativity with the ones that still have faith.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
For all the people that have lost faith in the Ice Climbers: please leave.
I don't want to hear the same stupid arguements over and over again, because for each arguement against the Ice Climbers there are more with them and if you keep trying to tackle the arguements with them, it just sounds like you don't want them to return.
If you've lost all faith in Ice Climbers then that is your choice, but you don't have to share your negativity with the ones that still have faith.
Ice Climbers are my babies, I share a similar story with whoever wrote that in the op, minus the arcade machines.

To be honest I didn't even know arcade machines existed for ages

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My personal thoughts on custom moves:

Ice Shot:
Iceberg Shot (A slow moving, but giant iceberg that the Ice Climbers can use as a wall.)
Snowball Shot (They hit them in an arc upwards, acting as a good edgeguarding tool.)

Squall Hammer:
Charge Hammer (A lot like Ike's Quick Draw, except the longer you charge, the farther forward you go and the more power you have. Stops at ledges on ground, but not in air.)
Frozen Hammer (a frozen effect, but it doesn't have the same range as normal. A simple short hop, then it ends.)

Belay:
Condor (The condor lifts them upwards in a giant burst, and then disappears.)
Aimed Belay (A lot like a teleport recovery, you can aim which way one Climber goes, with the other grappling back to them. Both Climbers are hitboxes, making this their only recovery that can damage.)

Blizzard:
Spike Blizzard (The blizzard comes out solid as a icicle projectile on both sides, doing minimal damage but high range. Can't be held.)
Ongoing Blizzard (As you hold it, it becomes stronger, until a point where a giant frosty explosion happens and it freezes people with high knockback.)

Personally, I'd use quite a few of these over the normal one.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
TBH I think it would have been cooler if they had a split DLC where the Wii U version got one character and the 3DS version got another. That would be a good way of getting around the hardware limitations of the 3DS making ice climbers unplayable. Remember: Sakurai said that we would have the same characters in each version on launch, but he never said anything about whether the rosters would be different in the future. In fact, I think it would be fun if there were version-exclusive DLC characters, and it would open up the possibility of other old-school characters returning to let Sakurai bring back more 4-8 bit characters (e.g. we could get Ice Climbers on the WiiU and get Donkey Kong Jr. on the 3DS as that keeps to their console/handheld theme (Ice Climbers being a NES game and Donkey Kong Jr. being initially released on the Game and Watch), while the balloon fight stage on the 3DS version hints at future balloon fighter DLC, and its absence in the WiiU version in exchange for Pilot Wings further hints at version exclusive DLC, with the stage hinting at one of the characters from Pilot Wings 64, possibly even at a Bowser Jr.-esque character which has all the different skins being the differen characters from the game (Goose, Hawk, Ibis, Kiwi, Lark, Robin, Mario and Wario (the latter two of which would be given different movesets from their regular ones)). Due to hints at version-exclusive DLC like those, I wouldn't be so sure that Sakurai isn't going to throw us a curveball and say that Ice Climbers is WiiU exclusive, because there are lots of hints suggesting the presence of version exclusivity.

Anyway, onto what I would like a custom special moveset to be:

Neutral:
  1. Ice Shot - Current
  2. Snowball - Flies through the air, faster but less powerful
  3. Ice Chunk - Still Ice Shot
Side:
  1. Squall Hammer - Current
  2. Helecopter Hammer - More vertical and horizontal lift when used in midair than Squall Hammer, but deals less damage
  3. Spin Hammer - More powerful than Squall Hammer, but provides no lift when used in midair
Up:
  1. Belay - Current
  2. Condor - Same as Duck Hunt Duo's Duck Jump Duo, works with SoPo
  3. Grapple Rope - Same as Ivysaur's Vine Whip from Brawl, works with SoPo, if both are alive they will grapple onto each other
Down:
  1. Blizzard - Current
  2. Icy Wind - Less power, greater range
  3. Snowstorm - greater range, greater power, fails with SoPo
I would also like if they got a better final smash. Makes no difference in tournament matches, but I would like a better one for fun matches. This is what I think would be rather good:

Final Smash:
If both climbers are still conscious:
Bonus Stage - Ice Climbers swing their hammers upwards, one on either side of them, and anyone hit gets flung up to a platform at the top of the stage where they are held by a condor. Popo and Nana then separate and gather eggplants scattered on each platform, controlled by AI, before jumping up to the platform and swinging their hammers to meteor smash anyone held by the condor, dealing upwards of 75%. If another player eats an eggplant, the nearest climber will attack them in the same way as the Lyn assist trophy, except with their hammer for greater damage and knockback and with no delay at the start. Both climbers are invincible during the final smash's execution. Fails if they don't hit anyone.

If used by SoPo:
Nana is revived.

It's complex, but it seems far better than their current final smash, and it relates back to the original Ice Climbers game on the NES.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Sakurai said the Ice Climbers didn't make it because of 3DS hardware limitations.

What if...if the 3DS really cannot handle the ICs, they bring them back as New 3DS and Wii U exclusive DLC?

I doubt this'll happen though. Because Sakurai wants consistency between the roster on all versions, and that would put the current 3DS out of that.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I a
I'd like to see them come back, but I just wish that Popo's attacks weren't horrible alone. I'm not saying to make Popo strong to the point where he doesn't need Nana, but don't make him nearly useless when he's alone/seperated =P

Also I want chaingrabbing to be removed :p
I agree a lot with what you said. Popo needs to gain a buff to his strength whilst alone, and chain-grabbing was very annoying although you can learn to work around it. Also, your signature is the single most beautiful thing i've seen in a long, long time.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Don't forget, Mewtwo being DLC means that not everyone will have Mewtwo on their roster, thus throwing the "same roster on both versions" out the window

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
^
hence what i said in my post. as he never specified whether the consistent roster would apply post-launch, which is hinting at the future inclusion of version-exclusive DLC and, as such, the possibility of the ice climbers.

Rotorstorm331

Smash Rookie
If the Ice Climbers do come back, (which I hope.) It'll be right after the new 3ds comes out for NA and Europe. If the new 3ds has more power as to what I've heard, it might be possible for both climbers to run on 60 fps and multiple climbers at once.

Until then we'll just have to wait and see.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I think the ICs would be slightly different than their previous counterparts because of the nerf of chaingrabbing. I'm expecting that they still will be able to, mainly because Popo and Nana are two separate entities and should be counted as such.

I'm going to address a giant matter here: Sakurai said that both games will have the same number of characters. He said nothing about DLC. Which leads me to believe that Ice Climbers will be exclusive to the Wii U (because 3ds can't handle it), and the 3ds will have another rep. OR ICs won't be in at all.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I think the ICs would be slightly different than their previous counterparts because of the nerf of chaingrabbing. I'm expecting that they still will be able to, mainly because Popo and Nana are two separate entities and should be counted as such.

I'm going to address a giant matter here: Sakurai said that both games will have the same number of characters. He said nothing about DLC. Which leads me to believe that Ice Climbers will be exclusive to the Wii U (because 3ds can't handle it), and the 3ds will have another rep. OR ICs won't be in at all.
I think it would be cool to give the 3ds two Game & watch style chorus men to make up for the exclusivity for Ice climbers :)

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I think it would be cool to give the 3ds two Game & watch style chorus men to make up for the exclusivity for Ice climbers :)
If we're getting a double character, it got to be the Ice Climbers. I don't want those chorus guys to take away their uniqueness.
I'm not sure but I think game and watch runs at the same 60 fps as every other character so I don't think chorus kids will work either.

Last edited:

AirShad

Smash Cadet
I did but the roster is the same on both versions so no that is not thrown out. I was trying to gently point out that your post is dumb.
What he's trying to say is that not everyone will have both versions; therefore, the rosters will not be the same.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I've got some extra custom move ideas (I've shown more ideas in an earlier post):

Neutral B:
-Spark shot: Shoots an ice shot that stuns opponents but doesn't travel as far.
-Freeze shot: Shoots an ice shot that freezes opponents but doesn't travel as far.

Side B:
-Jump squal hammer: They jump into the air before they perform a squal hammer.
-Charge hammer: They charge their squal hammer the longer you charge the more power it has, but you can't move using this.

Down B:
-Fading blizzard: A blizzard similar to Bowser's and Charizard's fire breath.
-Icicle explosion: It creates a little explosion from their palms that freezes opponents

Up B:
-Super belay: The belay brings them higher but doesn't damage opponents.
-Blizard boost: They aim a blizzard downwards to boost them upwards it brings them very high together but not so high alone.

Final smash:
The same as in brawl but this time they don't slide of the mountain and the condor will fly in the top damaging anyone it touches.

Costumes:
1: Purple-blueish (Popo) Pink (Nana): Popo leads.
2: Gray-blueish (Popo) Red (Nana): Nana leads.
3: Cyan (Both): Popo leads.
4: Gray (Popo) Black (Nana): Nana leads.
5: Green (Popo) Yellow (Nana): Popo leads.
6: White (Both): Nana leads.
7: Purple (Popo) Orange (Nana): Popo leads.
8: Black with Topi picture (Popo) White with eggplant picture (Nana): Nana leads.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
You can't buy mewtwo... You have to buy and link both versions and you get him for free.
I've heard you can also buy mewtwo as DLC for just one version.
The free mewtwo thing is just for people who already planned to buy both versions (it would be a bit unfair if you had to pay more to have mewtwo on both versions).

AirShad

Smash Cadet
I've heard you can also buy mewtwo as DLC for just one version.
The free mewtwo thing is just for people who already planned to buy both versions (it would be a bit unfair if you had to pay more to have mewtwo on both versions).
I'm guessing that initially you'll have to get both versions (to sell Wii U's) then he'll be available in a veterans pack along with IC's (/^▽^)/

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I'm guessing that initially you'll have to get both versions (to sell Wii U's) then he'll be available in a veterans pack along with IC's (/^▽^)/
I'm still hoping for Ice Climbers, they were my mains in both Brawl and Melee (I'm not that good in smash anymore without them).
I wouldn't mind Wolf or Lucas either.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I wish Ice climbers came back for Christmas :( I really miss the snowy themed levels they brought with them.
Nintendo Be Like ITS A BLIZZARD IN JAPAN WITH VIDEO GAME SALES FREEZING UP! WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS MYSTERIOUS BLIZZARD CASE????......ITS THE ICE CLIMBERS! AND THEY HAVE RETURNED TO SUPER SMASH BROS! :p

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Nintendo Be Like ITS A BLIZZARD IN JAPAN WITH VIDEO GAME SALES FREEZING UP! WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THIS MYSTERIOUS BLIZZARD CASE????......ITS THE ICE CLIMBERS! AND THEY HAVE RETURNED TO SUPER SMASH BROS! :p
Ice Climber U confirmed!

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I don't think there's a big chance we'll be seeing Ice Climbers, because DHD is essentially their replacement thematically.

Also, changes to characters have part been removing any, if all, sofiscated AI for characters and their special attacks. Unless the devs have a change of heart, I don't see Ice Climbers happening, since their gimmick is the AI-controlled partner. If they don't have that, they're Ice Climbers in name only.

I've had little experience working on game AI, so that's how I see it anyway.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't think there's a big chance we'll be seeing Ice Climbers, because DHD is essentially their replacement thematically.

Also, changes to characters have part been removing any, if all, sofiscated AI for characters and their special attacks. Unless the devs have a change of heart, I don't see Ice Climbers happening, since their gimmick is the AI-controlled partner. If they don't have that, they're Ice Climbers in name only.

While I respect your opinion...

GET OUTTA HERE!

There's no way DHD is their "replacement" for two reasons.
1. There's no such thing as a replacement character and
2. DHD is not NEARLY as satisfying as ICies

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
While I respect your opinion...

GET OUTTA HERE!

There's no way DHD is their "replacement" for two reasons.
1. There's no such thing as a replacement character and
2. DHD is not NEARLY as satisfying as ICies
The clearest example of no replacement character being :4lucario: who as we all know was meant to but:mewtwopm:we know how that turned out now ;P

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Except Duck Hunt Duo is not a replacement at all, 3DS hardware limitations is the one and only reason Ice Climbers are not in this game.

This isn't up for debate, when Sakurai himself had clearly stated this was the sole reason for their exclusion.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591

This would not make sense because:
-DHD is in no way similar to Ice Climbers other than being nes characters.
-Duck Hunt was never released in Japan, the character is just added for the Western audience just like Little Mac.
-Ice Climbers are two time veterans with a lot of fans right now, if they wanted someone to replace them as nes reps, they would've already done that in Brawl.
-Sakurai himself confirmed the real reason why they are not in.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
-Duck Hunt was never released in Japan, the character is just added for the Western audience just like Little Mac.
It was, actually. Over a year and a half before the North American release.

Japan: April 21 1984
NA: October 18 1985

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
It was, actually. Over a year and a half before the North American release.

Japan: April 21 1984
NA: October 18 1985
Thanks for correcting me.
I looked it up and DHD still seems to be added for America. Around 96% of all the units sold were sold in North America and 4% in the rest of the world (1% in Japan).
While our Ice Climbers may not have sold as much units around the world, they still have sold 5x as much in Japan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom