• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The inernet is a load of sh*t sometimes, and things like the leaks make me question why I even bother using the internet. I'm refraining from watching the Roy and Ryu videos until later so that it isn't completely spoiled, but it is just infuriating that some internet users can be such jackasses.

Link me plz. I'm going to defend IC as if my life depended on it.
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...-hype-inflating-and-deflating-moments.398604/
The rate their chances thread. I'm not sure exactly when they'll be re-rating the ICies again, all we know is that we have approximately a week. Thus, a week to develop any kind of argument's that we can. Maybe that's what we can do in the mean time while we wait the week. Anyone up to that?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...-hype-inflating-and-deflating-moments.398604/
The rate their chances thread. I'm not sure exactly when they'll be re-rating the ICies again, all we know is that we have approximately a week. Thus, a week to develop any kind of argument's that we can. Maybe that's what we can do in the mean time while we wait the week. Anyone up to that?
Lol, we won't need any if they are announced today or at E3.

Surprisingly, I'm still hyped for this Direct. Just to see the slim possibility that maybe, just MAYBE, they'll show us something we don't know about yet. Direct starts in about 10 minutes, hope we get something good (other than Roy and Ryu, which I don't even care about).

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So... the Direct has come and gone. Honestly I can't say I'm surprised by what it contains.

I am surprised though that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are all released today. Quite interesting, I wasn't expecting it...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So... the Direct has come and gone. Honestly I can't say I'm surprised by what it contains.

I am surprised though that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are all released today. Quite interesting, I wasn't expecting it...
Same here. 20 minutes of my life wasted. 5 of them on Ryu and how he has oh so many wonderful attacks if you enter the combination from the original game. I'll buy him (once I get the money) to test him out maybe 5 times. Then he and Doc will become my punching bags. Maybe Roy too. I honestly don't like that he's yet another FLIPPING MARTH CLONE!

Hopefully we can get more at E3.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
3 new characters released today. I don't think I'm allowed to be disappointed. Hopefully I'll be able to download them soon once the servers have less traffic. And I'm looking forward to the N64 stages.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
All I've got today is Lucas. And I can't get him cause the servers keep lagging out. Don't get me wrong, I'm buying the other 2 characters and the 2 stages, but they aren't going to be doing much more than sitting there on the menus (unless it turns out I actually like them).

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I'm glad that Roy's Shield Breaker represents the Melee shield breaker. Other than that, Ryu looks rather fun to use and I'm happy to have my brawl and melee mains back. I just hope that tournament mode is handled better than it was in brawl.

Pity there is no news on IC. Hopefully we'll get something at E3 :]

edit: Also I'm happy that I'll be getting Dreamland and Hyrule Castle back :)

edit 2: DAMMIT WHY CAN'T THIS GAME JUST UPDATE ;;;;

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm glad that Roy's Shield Breaker represents the Melee shield breaker. Other than that, Ryu looks rather fun to use and I'm happy to have my brawl and melee mains back. I just hope that tournament mode is handled better than it was in brawl.

Pity there is no news on IC. Hopefully we'll get something at E3 :]

edit: Also I'm happy that I'll be getting Dreamland and Hyrule Castle back :)

edit 2: DAMMIT WHY CAN'T THIS GAME JUST UPDATE ;;;;
I know, I was having the same issue.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I get onto the AOC shop for the first time in about 20 minutes of trying but then as I try to download...
Error Code: 005-4803

An error has occurred.
Please try again later.
If the problem persists, please make a note of the error code and visit support.nintendo.com.
Fuuuu...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I get onto the AOC shop for the first time in about 20 minutes of trying but then as I try to download...

Fuuuu...
If you can make it past the page AFTER the page that asks if you own the Smash for Wii U software, then you're good and got whatever DLC you purchased.

Also, avatar mischief again!

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
First off, I just broke the avatar mischief. Second, I've been thinking back to when people were talking about the 5 empty spaces that could fit a character portrait at the bottom of the site next to Mewtwo. As speculated, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu take up three of those squares. But people thought it was an indicator of how many pre-planned characters would be DLC? I mean think of it from a design standpoint. When they designed the sight, they wanted the proportions to be right. They eventually decided on having the characters at the bottom show up in small frames you can click on with nine characters at a time. There are five sections total and 45 squares that could have something to click on. 43 of those squares are occupied including the ? that brings you to the unlockable characters and the Mii Fighters all share the same square. So, when more than 2 new DLC characters get announced, what will happen? A sixth section will be made with nine more squares to fit announced DLC characters in that section of the site. There. Speculation debunked. It was just a random thought of mine, I think plenty of people know by now that it means nothing. Onto more important news, what else can we do to help the Ice Climbers?!

Burruni

Smash Hero
First off, I just broke the avatar mischief. Second, I've been thinking back to when people were talking about the 5 empty spaces that could fit a character portrait at the bottom of the site next to Mewtwo. As speculated, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu take up three of those squares. But people thought it was an indicator of how many pre-planned characters would be DLC? I mean think of it from a design standpoint. When they designed the sight, they wanted the proportions to be right. They eventually decided on having the characters at the bottom show up in small frames you can click on with nine characters at a time. There are five sections total and 45 squares that could have something to click on. 43 of those squares are occupied including the ? that brings you to the unlockable characters and the Mii Fighters all share the same square. So, when more than 2 new DLC characters get announced, what will happen? A sixth section will be made with nine more squares to fit announced DLC characters in that section of the site. There. Speculation debunked. It was just a random thought of mine, I think plenty of people know by now that it means nothing. Onto more important news, what else can we do to help the Ice Climbers?!
On 3DS, there's "arrow tile" found that was planned back on cartridge which say that you will toggle spaces. On WiiU? They'll squish it down like how they did from on disc roster to what it is now with 4 extra characters.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Spread the word. #ChainGrabTheVote

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
1. Why would you dare break the avatar mischief?!?!

2. Thank you for having common sense.

3. Try to make our Miis look as close as they can to the ICies, keep voting on the Ballot, invade the Miiverse stage posts with ICies posts.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I'm happy that Roy feels nothing like Marth to play. "Luigified" from the other page seems like an appropriate description. Ryu feels like Street Fighter (seriously they have even made him need more dexterity than any other character to play well) and Lucas's BAir is the easiest meteor in the game (and a potentially broken edgeguarding tool). This was all in all a fun DLC pack. Lets hope for IC news at E3 guys - it'll be worth it if this set is anything to go by.

Also @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch why do I feel like you saying Ryu and Roy will be your punching bags won't be reality XD

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm happy that Roy feels nothing like Marth to play. "Luigified" from the other page seems like an appropriate description. Ryu feels like Street Fighter (seriously they have even made him need more dexterity than any other character to play well) and Lucas's BAir is the easiest meteor in the game (and a potentially broken edgeguarding tool). This was all in all a fun DLC pack. Lets hope for IC news at E3 guys - it'll be worth it if this set is anything to go by.

Also @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch why do I feel like you saying Ryu and Roy will be your punching bags won't be reality XD
Probably because it won't. It just lets off a bit of steam. But whenever they do appear as my opponent, you can bet they'll get rekt.

But ya, Lucas' Back Air is scary good.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, I've been thinking about the counters we can make to possible arguments people will make next week when the Ice Climbers are re-rated in rate their chances. I fear that if these aren't addressed, the Ice Climbers might be getting 0's across the boards. These are a work in progress, so feel free to jump in and give some ideas if you come up with an argument to counter.

The Ice Climbers can't work on the 3DS
- This is the elephant in the room. The main reason people don't believe that the Ice Climbers can come back. This also stems down to people believing that the 3DS issues can't be fixed. A big reason as to why the duo were cut was because of "priority." It would seem that these two were low on priority to get working, and so any work around that could have been made, wasn't due to holding them off. With DLC time, there is actually a greater chance that the Ice Climbers can return, especially with the fact that models and programming for them must already exist, as they were said to work on the Wii U version. Speaking of the Wii U version.

The Ice Climbers can't come back because of 8-Player Smash
- This argument really doesn't hold much ground. People say that them working on the Wii U was before the implementation of 8-Player Smash, and thus can't be included now because of said mode. Honestly, I don't think this is a problem. I'd like to refer to a source that was originally found by @ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher that sheds some details on this. In the article, it describes that in 8-Player Smash, certain character models (example used is Wii Fit Trainer) are simplified to get them running in this mode. The same would have to apply to the duo. Of course, this source also explains that the duo can return without having to go with Solo Popo, buy optimizing Nana to something similar to Rosalina's Luma, thus simplifying her complex AI.
said source: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/can-ice-climber-be-in-smash-4/

The Ice Climbers would break the competitive game because of their chain grabs
- OK, first of all, chain grabbing has been removed in this game, so the Ice Climbers wouldn't be capable of this anymore, and would thus rely on the merit of the character and skill of the player. Secondly, there are several characters on the roster that are over powered competitively, and no one really complains. Even if it was a problem, with updates to the game, characters can be buffed and nerfed were needed to make sure the game stays balanced.

Due to the lack of priority and no sequel for their series planned, the don't really need to come back
- OK, to be fair, I haven't actually seen anyone use this as an argument. Regardless, I figured I would counter it just in case. Since when has this ever been a problem in Smash? Does it seem likely that Duck Hunt will ever get a sequel? How about the Game & Watch series? Most likely, there will never be another Game & Watch game again, as they have been replaced by modern day consoles. This is a relatively weak argument, and I'm glad that this is one I haven't yet seen, as it's a pretty pathetic one.

The two would probably have to come back as solo, and that breaks the character
- For this argument, one can refer back to the 8-Player Smash issue argument, but I decided I'd address this on it's own as well. The Ice Climbers can work as a duo. If anything, Rosalina and Luma confirm this. The only thing is, Nana's AI (or Popo, depending on the color chosen I suppose) would need some optimization, and at the most, needs simplification. Again, the source provided by @ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher addresses this. These optimizations allow the two to be a duo, and will prove not too difficult for the 3DS to handle.

If there's anything else anyone else would like to attribute, I'd appreciate it. I wanna make sure that these guys don't just get 0's all day when they are re-rated! (I myself would probably give them 50% chance, and 100% want!)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, I've been thinking about the counters we can make to possible arguments people will make next week when the Ice Climbers are re-rated in rate their chances. I fear that if these aren't addressed, the Ice Climbers might be getting 0's across the boards. These are a work in progress, so feel free to jump in and give some ideas if you come up with an argument to counter.

- This is the elephant in the room. The main reason people don't believe that the Ice Climbers can come back. This also stems down to people believing that the 3DS issues can't be fixed. A big reason as to why the duo were cut was because of "priority." It would seem that these two were low on priority to get working, and so any work around that could have been made, wasn't due to holding them off. With DLC time, there is actually a greater chance that the Ice Climbers can return, especially with the fact that models and programming for them must already exist, as they were said to work on the Wii U version. Speaking of the Wii U version.

- This argument really doesn't hold much ground. People say that them working on the Wii U was before the implementation of 8-Player Smash, and thus can't be included now because of said mode. Honestly, I don't think this is a problem. I'd like to refer to a source that was originally found by @ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher that sheds some details on this. In the article, it describes that in 8-Player Smash, certain character models (example used is Wii Fit Trainer) are simplified to get them running in this mode. The same would have to apply to the duo. Of course, this source also explains that the duo can return without having to go with Solo Popo, buy optimizing Nana to something similar to Rosalina's Luma, thus simplifying her complex AI.
said source: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/can-ice-climber-be-in-smash-4/

- OK, first of all, chain grabbing has been removed in this game, so the Ice Climbers wouldn't be capable of this anymore, and would thus rely on the merit of the character and skill of the player. Secondly, there are several characters on the roster that are over powered competitively, and no one really complains. Even if it was a problem, with updates to the game, characters can be buffed and nerfed were needed to make sure the game stays balanced.

Due to the lack of priority and no sequel for their series planned, the don't really need to come back
- OK, to be fair, I haven't actually seen anyone use this as an argument. Regardless, I figured I would counter it just in case. Since when has this ever been a problem in Smash? Does it seem likely that Duck Hunt will ever get a sequel? How about the Mother series? The franchise ended at Mother 3, does that mean that Ness and Lucas don't deserve to be in the game. This is a relatively weak argument, and I'm glad that this is one I haven't yet seen, as it's a pretty pathetic one.

- For this argument, one can refer back to the 8-Player Smash issue argument, but I decided I'd address this on it's own as well. The Ice Climbers can work as a duo. If anything, Rosalina and Luma confirm this. The only thing is, Nana's AI (or Popo, depending on the color chosen I suppose) would need some optimization, and at the most, needs simplification. Again, the source provided by @ TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher addresses this. These optimizations allow the two to be a duo, and will prove not too difficult for the 3DS to handle.

If there's anything else anyone else would like to attribute, I'd appreciate it. I wanna make sure that these guys don't just get 0's all day when they are re-rated! (I myself would probably give them 50% chance, and 100% want!)
Well, somebody could counter your counter on the 4th argument, if it were ever brought up. The Mother/EarthBound series IS getting that fan-made Mother 4. It's not an official release but still. Also, they did just release the original Mother/EarthBound Zero (now known as EarthBound Beginnings) for the virtual console...

But let's get back to ICies.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well, somebody could counter your counter on the 4th argument, if it were ever brought up. The Mother/EarthBound series IS getting that fan-made Mother 4. It's not an official release but still. Also, they did just release the original Mother/EarthBound Zero (now known as EarthBound Beginnings) for the virtual console...

But let's get back to ICies.
Thanks! Changed it to refer to the Game & Watch series, as Game & Watch games are essentially replaced by modern handhelds.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I have this feeling as if Sakurai is trying to test our patience. As we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes during the pre-ballot era, we can only speculate so much. What I mean by testing our patience is to see how we respond to characters we aren't particularly supporting. If we look at it from the perspective of those who wanted Roy and Ryu first and foremost, they certainly had people talking down on the characters they want saying that they were unlikely. Sometimes our emotions don't bring our the best in us, but it's because of that leak that our emotions erupted. I'm not too sure on how I'm trying to get my point across, but I'm just cautioning those here so that others don't get negative impressions off of us. I need to look out myself as well, and let's hope nothing major gets leaked in Smash again. When the next rate their chances comes, let's be sure to be as supportive and bring as much positive energy as possible. We can help each other out with backing up our points and inform others in hopes that it may enlighten them enough to reconsider.

I know the Ice Climbers can return. It's only a matter of time and patience, and with Sakurai's determination on pleasing fans of certain characters, Ice Climbers are a must because of that. He's really reaching out and catering to so many people. We have characters that weren't regarded so highly but still have fanbases :4drmario::4feroy:. We have characters who were obvious choices and had such huge fan demand :4mewtwo::4lucas:. I'm certain that there will be plans in place for bringing back the others not influenced by the ballot and are backed heavily by the fans :popo::wolf:.

And in case any of you haven't seen E3 yet,
They announced Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Shenmue 3. Now why in the world am I talking about these? Because they are games that fans have been wanting forever. And by fan demand, they have been confirmed to be happening and have been made possible. How am I going to relate these to Ice Climbers? Well, the fan demand is one thing for starters. It shows that the most highly requested things can be made if the fans persevere enough. With our support, we too can get our own Final Fantasy 7 Remake/Shenmue 3 (a.k.a. Ice Climbers) and we will have something to show for it. If you think about it more, the Ice Climbers really aren't truly impossible on the 3DS. If we could put a man on the moon, I'm pretty sure we can put two cute ****** children on a handheld fighting against characters like Mario and Link.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300

- OK, to be fair, I haven't actually seen anyone use this as an argument. Regardless, I figured I would counter it just in case. Since when has this ever been a problem in Smash? Does it seem likely that Duck Hunt will ever get a sequel? How about the Game & Watch series? Most likely, there will never be another Game & Watch game again, as they have been replaced by modern day consoles. This is a relatively weak argument, and I'm glad that this is one I haven't yet seen, as it's a pretty pathetic one.

Yeah. I assume that this'll just be C/P'd onto the thread, because you have basically got everything down.
But ya, Lucas' Back Air is scary good.
"Scary good" wins the award for understatement of the year XD its completely broken :p
plz don't nerf it Sakurai ;;;

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah. I assume that this'll just be C/P'd onto the thread, because you have basically got everything down.

"Scary good" wins the award for understatement of the year XD its completely broken :p
plz don't nerf it Sakurai ;;;
Well, it is a bit hard to land. Charizard's meteor smash is much easier to land in my opinion, probably the easiest in the game to land. But still Lucas' Back Air is just... (since "scary good" was an understatement, I dunno what to put here).

Guys:
image.jpg

Somebody saw what I said, I guess. This may be a good strategy for us. I mean, I played as Marth on Miiverse, and the majority of what I got was posts supporting Pichu for DLC. I don't think we should be letting PICHU get in front of us...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sometimes..... sometimes, I do doubt them. I really do.
And it saddens me that I have to say such a thing.
But I really think Sakurai may have moved on.
I really hope he still tries. Tries to make them work.....
Prove me wrong Sakurai do it.
You have done it before,:4lucas::4feroy:
This thread is about to prove you wrong, Doodle.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I shall gladly be wrong.
Please do it in every regard.
You Know me I am long time supporter of the little Snow buddies =3
Lol. I'm sure with enough support and recognition, Sakurai will start to work on them again, if he hasn't begun doing so already.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Thanks, I was thinking of just posting this into the thread and then giving my rating. I've seen others do this before to help their favorite characters, and I feel the Ice Climbers are definitely worthy of this kind of defense as well.

This argument holds no grounds because there is literally nothing to back it up.
Yeah, I know. There's no evidence that they wouldn't work in 8-Player Smash, so this is one argument I believe people grasp for straws with.

So, would it be a good idea to push for the Ice Climbers with the Miiverse stage? It could attract more votes if people find support on the posts that appear on stage.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Who the flip isn't? A clone over an original character? Stupid.
I'm not *points to avatar* He plays a lot differently than Marth in this game.

However, I'm really hoping if we get one more veteran, it's Ice Climbers. Been waiting for them and really hope they can work around the 3DS issue. :/

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I will do my best dispite my abysmal drawing ability :]

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, would it be a good idea to push for the Ice Climbers with the Miiverse stage? It could attract more votes if people find support on the posts that appear on stage.
Definitely. Does Miiverse use your NNID account to make your Miiverse account? Because I still haven't logged in to Miiverse, but soon as I do, I'm going to flood the Dr. Mario support thread with ICies support comments. I'll show them who the oringinal character is, not some horrible clone. My only fear is that I'll have the same tab open for a few days if I actually want to do something artistic instead of just writing a message.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Definitely. Does Miiverse use your NNID account to make your Miiverse account? Because I still haven't logged in to Miiverse, but soon as I do, I'm going to flood the Dr. Mario support thread with ICies support comments. I'll show them who the oringinal character is, not some horrible clone. My only fear is that I'll have the same tab open for a few days if I actually want to do something artistic instead of just writing a message.
Yeah. It does. U just hop on and get started :]

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Your support for the Ice Climbers shouldn't be fueled by your hatred for Dr.Mario, but by your love of the Ice Climbers alone. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Your support for the Ice Climbers shouldn't be fueled by your hatred for Dr.Mario, but by your love of the Ice Climbers alone. :upsidedown:
It is. I'm just saying I'm going to put it on the Dr. Mario support because if I do it to any other character, it's wasting time. This way I can get my point across (of ICies returning as DLC) without having to worry about it showing up on another character's posts, because those characters deserve the support they get.

Lol, not much of a counterarguement but still. Basically, Dr. Mario means nothing, ICies mean a lot.

ICies > Dr. Mario

Top Bottom