• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
So Ice Climbers and Inkling are next. Lol, cool.
I want to see a mechanic using the ink (maybe them being on the field gives all players a different ink colour spreads with their attacks and slows down the other player(s)/team(s)? That'd be a pretty cool gimmick and I could see Inkling even having a crawl that only works on a surface they inked. Make this happen Sakurai! (oh and yeah give us IC too)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I want to see a mechanic using the ink (maybe them being on the field gives all players a different ink colour spreads with their attacks and slows down the other player(s)/team(s)? That'd be a pretty cool gimmick and I could see Inkling even having a crawl that only works on a surface they inked. Make this happen Sakurai! (oh and yeah give us IC too)
ICies have priority.

ICies > Inkling.

Last edited:

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
So guys, let's say they still couldn't find a way to make ICies, (which I doubt btw) would you guys be cool with an Ice Climber costume for Mii Swordfighter. Of course, they would have hammers instead of swords, but also, I was thinking they would make it to were males get Popo's parka and females get Nana's parka. Maybe they could do this if they did get them to work. That would so sick.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So guys, let's say they still couldn't find a way to make ICies, (which I doubt btw) would you guys be cool with an Ice Climber costume for Mii Swordfighter. Of course, they would have hammers instead of swords, but also, I was thinking they would make it to were males get Popo's parka and females get Nana's parka. Maybe they could do this if they did get them to work. That would so sick.
It... wouldn't be terrible I suppose... I mean, at least it's not making them an assist trophy or something demeaning like that. I wouldn't hate the idea...

Burruni

Smash Hero
....You can't...

stab

with a hammer

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Well, If it were to hypothetically be proven impossible for the team to get them working as a duo on both versions, I'd prefer the bottom of the barrel last resort to make them solo since one Ice Climber at a time would be better than zero. Then we can talk about Mii Fighter outfits. Maybe the color of the Ice Climber outfits can be based on the color that Mii is wearing. IDK.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Good idea but...

....You can't...

stab

with a hammer
I agree with this. I mean, that idea is good, as are most of ours in the way to somehow get them back, but I think that might be a bit even more last resort than a solo Ice Climber.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Wow, it's so sad to see how much players really hate Ice Climbers because of their past iterations' grabbing gimmicks. It's not only sad because chain grabbing/wobbling is dead, but it's really hurting their chances. I mean how could you hate this face? :popo:Hope they get annouced in December, so A. we know they have enough time to flesh them out and B. I mean come one ICE Climbers, december, snow, ICE.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wow, it's so sad to see how much players really hate Ice Climbers because of their past iterations' grabbing gimmicks. It's not only sad because chain grabbing/wobbling is dead, but it's really hurting their chances. I mean how could you hate this face? :popo:Hope they get annouced in December, so A. we know they have enough time to flesh them out and B. I mean come one ICE Climbers, december, snow, ICE.
True, but I'd rather the sooner the better. If they're announced soon, and announced for winter, that'd be cool, but I need to know they're being worked on, SOON!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
True, but I'd rather the sooner the better. If they're announced soon, and announced for winter, that'd be cool, but I need to know they're being worked on, SOON!
Yeah. Cool like the ice they climb.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Oh trust me, I would LOVE to have it anytime! I just need there being worked on (I see we're on the same boat)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh trust me, I would LOVE to have it anytime! I just need there being worked on (I see we're on the same boat)
Exactly. Tell me they're being worked on, and tell me when they should be done by. Give me that, and I'm happy. That's all I ask of you Nintendo.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
To balance out all this hopefulness and optimism, keep in mind that the 'first time' (or perhaps many, many times/attempts) that Sakurai tried to make the ICies work, and the first announcments already made regarding the inclusion of the ICs may already be enough in Sakurai's eyes. He did make an effort, but it couldn't happen, then bam. He might never make any more announcements regarding the ICs because he's given them a decent amount o attention already.

On the other hand, however, this was
before DLC was announced to be a thing. For all we know, once the phrase 'DLC' began to circulate around the offices of the CEOs and the game developers, they might have decided to try to implement the ICies once again! And although it is also possible that they simply failed again, or maybe plan on working on a number of other, fresh faces, it is also quite possible that Sakurai's main reason for not including our favorite Eskimos in Smash 4 was a combination of priority and time constraints, and with time constraints sorta less of a big deal, ICies may be on their way, in some form or other. All I personally ask is thay it's not one Ice Climber, but at least have two climbers fused Duck-Hunt style. Might not be too bad, but it might also be a lot of work. However, I mean, they basically would have had a year to work on one character, if ICies are to come out this Winter. So... idk!

Then again, Wolf is definitely in front of the ICies in line when it comes to vets who are probaly coming back. And then there's the whole Ryu and Roy thing. Which would honestly be really cool to see. I mean come on, Ryu? Street Fighter icon? That would mean huge things for the future of Smash Bros. Then imagine this:
Smash now has an even bigger playerbase. It's been covered by many more news outlets by now. New players (who came along because they like how Ryu looks and plays in Smash 4) start hearing chatter from IC, Brawl, and Melee fans that there is this character that was cut from Smash 4 apparently, and it really sucked that this happened. They were a duo of some sort. Heh, they looked pretty cute. Look at this moveset video of them. Dang, why were they cut? Probably because the 3DS or something. Well, I guess i they made it in, it'd be cool.
Then. A Direct comes out revealing the ICies for DLC in Smash 4, or simply inclusion in the initial release of Smash 5.
Hype videos everywhere. People are crying, screaming in streams and Youtube videos across the world. Apparently some streamer from Japan is just as hype as Etika, and they go viral, get translated, and we see it around America and Europe (and other places that aren't Japan). The world rejoices, and all of the new Ryu-loving friends will hear of the victory of this day. By then, we'll all be 110+ years old, but it will have been worth it as our great, great neckbeard grandchildren who work at Blizzard and Valve and Google (and of course, Nintendo) will never hear the end of it, as we assemble automatons that spam their desktop dashboard on Windows X112 Build 51630 with "Welcome-back Ice Climbers!" e-cards for some reason. idk, there's just something that waiting indescriptly long amounts of time waiting for a pair of Eskimos to appear in one more game will do to ya.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
To balance out all this hopefulness and optimism, keep in mind that the 'first time' (or perhaps many, many times/attempts) that Sakurai tried to make the ICies work, and the first announcments already made regarding the inclusion of the ICs may already be enough in Sakurai's eyes. He did make an effort, but it couldn't happen, then bam. He might never make any more announcements regarding the ICs because he's given them a decent amount o attention already.

before DLC was announced to be a thing. For all we know, once the phrase 'DLC' began to circulate around the offices of the CEOs and the game developers, they might have decided to try to implement the ICies once again! And although it is also possible that they simply failed again, or maybe plan on working on a number of other, fresh faces, it is also quite possible that Sakurai's main reason for not including our favorite Eskimos in Smash 4 was a combination of priority and time constraints, and with time constraints sorta less of a big deal, ICies may be on their way, in some form or other. All I personally ask is thay it's not one Ice Climber, but at least have two climbers fused Duck-Hunt style. Might not be too bad, but it might also be a lot of work. However, I mean, they basically would have had a year to work on one character, if ICies are to come out this Winter. So... idk!

Then again, Wolf is definitely in front of the ICies in line when it comes to vets who are probaly coming back. And then there's the whole Ryu and Roy thing. Which would honestly be really cool to see. I mean come on, Ryu? Street Fighter icon? That would mean huge things for the future of Smash Bros. Then imagine this:
Smash now has an even bigger playerbase. It's been covered by many more news outlets by now. New players (who came along because they like how Ryu looks and plays in Smash 4) start hearing chatter from IC, Brawl, and Melee fans that there is this character that was cut from Smash 4 apparently, and it really sucked that this happened. They were a duo of some sort. Heh, they looked pretty cute. Look at this moveset video of them. Dang, why were they cut? Probably because the 3DS or something. Well, I guess i they made it in, it'd be cool.
Then. A Direct comes out revealing the ICies for DLC in Smash 4, or simply inclusion in the initial release of Smash 5.
Hype videos everywhere. People are crying, screaming in streams and Youtube videos across the world. Apparently some streamer from Japan is just as hype as Etika, and they go viral, get translated, and we see it around America and Europe (and other places that aren't Japan). The world rejoices, and all of the new Ryu-loving friends will hear of the victory of this day. By then, we'll all be 110+ years old, but it will have been worth it as our great, great neckbeard grandchildren who work at Blizzard and Valve and Google (and of course, Nintendo) will never hear the end of it, as we assemble automatons that spam their desktop dashboard on Windows X112 Build 51630 with "Welcome-back Ice Climbers!" e-cards for some reason. idk, there's just something that waiting indescriptly long amounts of time waiting for a pair of Eskimos to appear in one more game will do to ya.
This... could make sense I guess. I mean, patience is a virtue. It just seems weird to connect Ryu and Ice Climbers though, I mean, the two series are just so different. :laugh:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

"110+ years old", *dies laughing*

Well I mean, this is just one way out of the mess. Hopefully Sakurai does not think that just the attempt(s) made and announcement of them being cut is satisfactory, because it doesn't work for me.

Also, I'm not really a huge Ryu or Street Fighter fan. Heck, I barely knew what Street Fighter was. If you would have brought it up to me, I would know what you're talking about simply because I'd remember a guy with a red bandana on his head (didn't know that was Ryu at the time).

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Also some neat artwork that appeared in that google search:
Looking at that neat drawing, sadly, squall hammer is like, not worth the risk in Brawl a lot of the time. And that delay on the dash attack? And the slowww and not that great forward air? And the down-B that seems really situational? At least to a scrubby like me. I still loving playing these kiddos, though. Even if I can barely manage to string two forward throws together at low percents. And when it comes down to down throw to backthrow chains? forgetta bout it!
Also, have a neat screenshot I took today!
image.jpg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm pretty hyped for tomorrow guys. I've got a strong feeling ICies are going to be mentioned/talked about in tomorrow's direct.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Man, can you guys believe this? The Ice Climbers are being called overrated in the rate their chances thread (today is overrated, underrated, and most accurate.) People are still thinking "oh, impossible because of 3DS."

:urg: I swear, they aren't even given a chance.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Man, can you guys believe this? The Ice Climbers are being called overrated in the rate their chances thread (today is overrated, underrated, and most accurate.) People are still thinking "oh, impossible because of 3DS."

:urg: I swear, they aren't even given a chance.
Well, I mean, at least we've got a lot of supporters. If we didn't we'd probably be in "most accurate", or even "underrated".

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Well, I mean, at least we've got a lot of supporters. If we didn't we'd probably be in "most accurate", or even "underrated".
Ah I see. Being overrated means that we have a good chunk of supporters who would likely overrate.

That said, I myself said they were underrated. Here's my stance:
I've seen people say that they are actually overrated because, surprise surprise, 3DS limitations. Now honestly, this is an argument that's a bit different from what I've seen. People believe that if they couldn't be fixed then, they couldn't be fixed now. That said, I'm not sure if the team's all was put into programming them. We are actually quite in the dark about their status. They were put on "low priority" meaning that the team might have wanted to go back to them and fix them for the game. Heck, they are even said to work on the Wii U. This means that a good chunk of them is actually complete, with only the 3DS holding them back. We don't know if they can be fixed or not, but I'm willing to bet with dedication and the extra time from DLC, they might be doable. That said, they aren't terribly underrated, in fact, they're pretty close to accurate in my opinion. That said, I personally find them a bit more likely than Inkling.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Can't be fixed now??? They have much more time and resources. Point me to the people that said that so I can slap them.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Can't be fixed now??? They have much more time and resources. Point me to the people that said that so I can slap them.
Err, um, I won't give names, but I'll give you an example of what I saw. Page 152 primarily on rate their chances. There were others saying that 3DS still held them back, but this one is the one I'll go with.

"Ice climbers. The 3ds and seperate 8 players smah bones still exist and always will"

Not trying to single anyone out with that quote, it's just the first one I saw. Others pretty much go on like this (some more detailed, others aren't), essentially saying that by now they aren't fixable.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Err, um, I won't give names, but I'll give you an example of what I saw. Page 152 primarily on rate their chances. There were others saying that 3DS still held them back, but this one is the one I'll go with.

"Ice climbers. The 3ds and seperate 8 players smah bones still exist and always will"

Not trying to single anyone out with that quote, it's just the first one I saw. Others pretty much go on like this (some more detailed, others aren't), essentially saying that by now they aren't fixable.
They. Were. Working. Fine. On. The. Wii. U.

How many times do we need to say that?!?!?! And they have all the time in the WORLD to fix the 3DS problems! Get some common sense people!!!

Guys: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wsQkd6M5s

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, I now things look bad recently, but I have a plan.

People are saying that Roy, Lucas and Ryu are all coming out together. That's a melee vet, a brawl vet, and a 3rd party character.

Imagine if they did the same thing two months later. Ice climbers could be the melee vet, Wolf the brawl vet, and Snake could be the 3rd party character.

Basically, what I'm saying is, we should form a alliance with the Wolf and Snake threads. Who's with me?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hmmmmmm...I don't know how much good that would do. I'll do it if you guys will, but we should all agree on it first.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
WHAT THE ****ING **** ON A ************* WITH ******** ON TOP WITH A SIDE OF ************?????!!!!! IS THIS FOR REAL? IS IT TRUE? THAT CAN'T BE! BUT HOW? I DON'T EVEN... WHAT?!
I'm happy that they're in, but this is just... mind blowing news. This opens the floodgates on a whole new scale. Who knows what else will happen in the future?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
WHAT THE ****ING **** ON A ************* WITH ******** ON TOP WITH A SIDE OF ************?????!!!!! IS THIS FOR REAL? IS IT TRUE? THAT CAN'T BE! BUT HOW? I DON'T EVEN... WHAT?!
I'm happy that they're in, but this is just... mind blowing news. This opens the floodgates on a whole new scale. Who knows what else will happen in the future?
I hate this. I absolutely hate this. Marth clone 2, and Capcom rep. 2. And on top of that, yet another freaking leak. I hate the people that do this. Just let the news come out when it does, you killjoy. Stop putting walls in front of the hype train, dang it.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
F*CK YOU INTERNET YOU RUIN EVERYTHING!

Seriously I was f*cking looking foreward to seeing what they would announce tomorrow but NOOO! Some b@$t@rd HAD to f*cking leak this stuff.

Now that's out of my system, I am just going to save myself until tomorrow to see how they work in this game. Lets keep hoping that there will be another announcement at E3.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
F*CK YOU INTERNET YOU RUIN EVERYTHING!

Seriously I was f*cking looking foreward to seeing what they would announce tomorrow but NOOO! Some b@$t@rd HAD to f*cking leak this stuff.

Now that's out of my system, I am just going to save myself until tomorrow to see how they work in this game. Lets keep hoping that there will be another announcement at E3.
At this point, I can only see a few more characters getting in as DLC. Wolf, ICies, and at MOST 3 more. But I agree, flip you, internet. Flip. You.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
for now I am secluding here and SOLELY here, to prevent all spoilers except for ones involving the duo

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm not even sure I'm going to buy Ryu and Roy. Yay, 3 Marths! Yay, a character I know nothing about!

Flipping killjoys man. Flip them. They should be getting sued and such by Nintendo. This game is great, and it would be much better if we DIDN'T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT BEFORE IT COMES OUT!!!

I swear some people are just so stupid to go and do this to everyone. We'll get a 20 minute direct tomorrow about everything that came out today. Can the person that leaked this stuff show themselves so I can decapitate them? Or at least pull their brain out (if they have one to begin with).

Top Bottom