• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Other than some of the dimensions not being right and the pose is a bit off (I know, it's the little things...sorry if I'm bashing you), this is really flipping good. How'd you make it?
It's just clay.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Simply put, the 3DS didn't have enough processing power to handle them without lag. The Wii U version was supposedly able to handle them just fine up until 8 players matches while the 3DS version struggled with 4 on screen.
The 3DS does have the power, but it is only barely enough to do so and, as such, needs lots of time and work to sort out.

Also there were no problems with 8 player smash. They worked perfectly on it.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Simply put, the 3DS didn't have enough processing power to handle them without lag. The Wii U version was supposedly able to handle them just fine up until 8 players matches while the 3DS version struggled with 4 on screen.
Why do people keep saying this? Where was it said Ice Climbers struggled on 8 player smash?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
They can even work on the 3DS. They just need the time/motivation to put the effort in 'cause its hard, and if that poll is anything to go by they have the motivation down.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, it sounded like time was more than an issue than technical problems. Yes, they ran into problems but Ice Climbers, understandably, were not a top priority because of their obscurity. From the sounds of things, they ran into technical problems with ZSS, Sheik, and PT too but those three had much easier solutions to their predicaments. They have the time now because development is now exclusively focusing on DLC. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if something was said at E3 because, from the sounds of things, they were pretty much done anyways with their Wii U incarnates being fully functional.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
An announcement at E3 would be great...2 more months, right? Or is it July? I can't wait this long, dang it! I NEED SUMMER TO COME FASTER!!!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
That does give us a hint as to when we can expect a reveal of some kind tho.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why does the Smash ballot finish in October 2nd? doesn't that seem a bit too long of a wait?
Characters take a long time to make and program. Probably remembering it wrong but I believe Sakurai once made a statement that said most characters take at least 4 months to fully realize if they're made from scratch. This being said, there's definitely going to be more than one more character to come out of this ballot. Honestly, I think it could be up to five (not including Lucas and Mewtwo) released between now and this time next year as development is now entirely focused on DLC and it's already been basically confirmed that they're working on multiple characters at once.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
That does give us a hint as to when we can expect a reveal of some kind tho.

I probably have said this already, but I wouldn't be surprised by Wolf and / or the IC returns before October.
I agree with both of these claims. Maybe they'll show some veteran DLC at E3 and a few newcomers as we approach the final day of the Ballot.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Characters take a long time to make and program. Probably remembering it wrong but I believe Sakurai once made a statement that said most characters take at least 4 months to fully realize if they're made from scratch. This being said, there's definitely going to be more than one more character to come out of this ballot. Honestly, I think it could be up to five (not including Lucas and Mewtwo) released between now and this time next year as development is now entirely focused on DLC and it's already been basically confirmed that they're working on multiple characters at once.
I understand that characters take time, but are they going to make the character/s and both reveal the character/s in smash and the winner/s or are they just going to announce the winner on october, because we could be seeing 2016 character DLC

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I understand that characters take time, but are they going to make the character/s and both reveal the character/s in smash and the winner/s or are they just going to announce the winner on october, because we could be seeing 2016 character DLC
I expect DLC to be done around mid-2016, so ya, it makes sense to announce SOMEONE at the end of the character ballot...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if the Ice Climbers would be possible with enough work. They got Rosaluma to work. I think they were dropped because in the time it took to get them working they'd have to drop the Dog or something.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I wonder if the Ice Climbers would be possible with enough work. They got Rosaluma to work. I think they were dropped because in the time it took to get them working they'd have to drop the Dog or something.
I would say Bowser Jr, considering he was almost dropped, but I agree. I also believe that in the same fashion, Mewtwo is DLC because they had to make him again completely, compared to Brawl veterans. Although it's also a lot of marketing.

So being dropped allowed more content + a DLC people would automaticaly want. If it's the case, it's convenient.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I would say Bowser Jr, considering he was almost dropped, but I agree. I also believe that in the same fashion, Mewtwo is DLC because they had to make him again completely, compared to Brawl veterans. Although it's also a lot of marketing.

So being dropped allowed more content + a DLC people would automaticaly want. If it's the case, it's convenient.
If we're on to something then that'd be good news for IC mains. Besides Wolf they're the only veteran I could see getting in. Roy is a sticking point because he got his fire sword thing nicked by Ike, his hilt Sweet spot taken by Shulk, his Marth clone thing pinched by Lucina and his name (other synonym for robbery) by one of the Koopalings.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If we're on to something then that'd be good news for IC mains. Besides Wolf they're the only veteran I could see getting in. Roy is a sticking point because he got his fire sword thing nicked by Ike, his hilt Sweet spot taken by Shulk, his Marth clone thing pinched by Lucina and his name (other synonym for robbery) by one of the Koopalings.
Basically because they are from Brawl, yes.

Even with a new moveset, I hardly see Roy bringing something new (but I don't have much Fire Emblem knowledge). And of course, with Lucina, having two pure clones is clearly a no. At least, Falco and Wolf's moves comes from Fox, but they had different normal moves.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I haven't visited this thread much, but what is the general consensus about modifying them into SoPo with Nana as an alt? It is liked/disliked?

:231:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I haven't visited this thread much, but what is the general consensus about modifying them into SoPo with Nana as an alt? It is liked/disliked?

I personally wouldn't mind, but it would automatically strip them from their originality.

Plus, Sakurai loves to keep movesets (just look at Ganondorf or Mewtwo).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Most of us have agreed that we would accept this only if it was a last resort option.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Btw I think ice climbers need to be made really strong this time, especially with a character like rosalina who has respawnable Nanas walking around.
Their specials definitely need a damage boost. But their smashes, when fully charged, already have a great amount of power.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Btw I think ice climbers need to be made really strong this time, especially with a character like rosalina who has respawnable Nanas walking around.
To be fair, their power came mostly in grab chaining and their smashes. If their F-air and B-air had a bit more damage+knockback, B worked better as a projectile, and down B had ANY purpose, I feel like they'd exceed RosaLuma.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
To be fair, their power came mostly in grab chaining and their smashes. If their F-air and B-air had a bit more damage+knockback, B worked better as a projectile, and down B had ANY purpose, I feel like they'd exceed RosaLuma.
Yep now that chain grabbing is gone and Rosalina exists I think the pair could use some op shiz, since Sopo will be the crutch as always.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300

My opinion on Sopo: No. Just... no.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord

I'm not THAT against it, they were on their own in their original game, and as long as their moves were buffed to compensate for the lack of a partner I'd be down for it, but only if it's the only solution.

I'd be using the red Nana alt all day everyday.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Similarly, what is the general opinion on them being both being back, but not as individuals and instead are just one character that look like two?

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I remember talking about what if they brought back nana and popo as clones of eachother? Not at Dark Pit & Pit levels of clone, more like Falco and Fox

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Similarly, what is the general opinion on them being both being back, but not as individuals and instead are just one character that look like two?
Uh...please clarify? I don't exactly understand what you're saying...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
As "one character", like the Duck Hunt duo.

It would need a lot of tweaks. Probably even more than SoloPopo.
Ah, I get it now. I think that could work, but I'd still prefer the ICies how they've been in the past. Though that would be a great second option. Change up a few things, probably need a new recovery, but I think it could work. Of course, your question was asking for the general opinion, and I don't speak for everyone.

Sorry to double post but I found an article on Games Radar that talked about a few characters the author thought should make it in as DLC with the new Fighter Ballot, and I couldn't agree more with what he/she said about the Ice Climbers:

"Fan favorites like Mewtwo and Lucas can return as DLC, so that should open the door for Popo and Nana, right? Director Masahiro Sakurai cut the characters because the duo's movements were too taxing for the 3DS's hardware, but what about the more powerful New 3DS? True, putting the violent Inuits only on New 3DS and Wii U limits who could play as Ice Climbers on portables, but the return of this fan-favorite fighting team would be worth it, no matter the playerbase-splitting cost."

I'm still willing to bet most people would get the New 3DS if it had ICies on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom