• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Sup Dynamo ;P

Also the funniest thing happened to me yesterday/the day before (i can't remember). Mine and ROBnWatch's posts got merged due to avy-based confusion XD

Now it says I like my own post XD

I like it ;P

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sup Dynamo ;P

Also the funniest thing happened to me yesterday/the day before (i can't remember). Mine and ROBnWatch's posts got merged due to avy-based confusion XD

Now it says I like my own post XD

I like it ;P
Well aren't you selfish?

Lol. Which post is that? Or have they corrected it? Either way, it's clearly telling us something.

Never mind. Found it! That's hilarious! XD

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I think they're at the bottom of top ten
It is so weird how characters like Ice Climbers and Ridley are now further down the support list because Sakurai "deconfirmed them" (even though he said the same for Mewtwo).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ridley is pretty much doubly deconfirmed at this point though.
Agreed. I know there's a lot of Ridley supporters, but like you said, he has pretty much been deconfirmed. I'm surprised to see him on the top 10 at this point. Heck, I'm surprised to see him in the top 15!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Well aren't you selfish?

Lol. Which post is that? Or have they corrected it? Either way, it's clearly telling us something.

Never mind. Found it! That's hilarious! XD
Sorry for not responding so soon. I was napping. But we should keep voting for them.

As for how I'm doing, I'm doing fine.
Agreed. I know there's a lot of Ridley supporters, but like you said, he has pretty much been deconfirmed. I'm surprised to see him on the top 10 at this point. Heck, I'm surprised to see him in the top 15!
Originally, I wanted Ridley playable in Smash Bros, but I ultimately came to realize that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry for not responding so soon. I was napping. But we should keep voting for them.

As for how I'm doing, I'm doing fine.

Originally, I wanted Ridley playable in Smash Bros, but I ultimately came to realize that the chances of that happening are slim to none.
Well it's good to have ya back man. We've been trying to keep the ICies hope alive. Think this Smash Ballot will do us some good. If we can get our point across to Nintendo and Sakurai now, oh boy!

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Luma is controlled directly by player inputs and has a simplistic AI for when returning to Rosalina. It's a simple object tied to Rosalina (not unlike a projectile or such).

Nana, on the other hand, is a full-fledged character with a special AI program running constantly (Nana's movements are synchronized to the player, but they still have a slight delay as she doesn't respond directly to the player's input). Technically speaking, Ice Climbers are effectively two player characters running at once, putting a bigger strain on the CPU.

The 3DS version seems to only be able to handle 5 players at once, as Multi-Man mode has 4 opponents at once as opposed to 5 and that number is cut down to 3 when playing co-op. It could handle more players, but it's likely prone to frame rate drops and similar issues.

The Wii U version can handle more players at once, but even so 8-player Smash seems to push the hardware to its limits considering stages have certain background elements and bosses removed. Some character models are also downgraded a bit. 8-player Smash with all players picking Ice Climbers would effectively amount to 16 characters running at once.

Sakurai did claim that Ice Climbers ran fine on the Wii U version, though we can't be sure if that was at a development phase where 8-player Smash had been implemented already or not.
Really? I never noticed that! All that I noticed is that the Gust Bellows item is prone to causing framerate drops and there is no mirror in Wii Fit Studio.

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Well it's good to have ya back man. We've been trying to keep the ICies hope alive. Think this Smash Ballot will do us some good. If we can get our point across to Nintendo and Sakurai now, oh boy!
That's good. We need to make our voices heard to make the IC's DLC characters. Removing the IC's from Smash Bros is an even bigger injustice than excluding Motaro from Mortal Kombat 9.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
So some of you are voting multiple times for ICs? That seems a little rigged-ish! I mean, I'm glad so many others are as passionate as I about the ICs, but essentially rigging the votes tho? Dag.

Still, I'll admit that I put two votes out. One for ICs, one for Inkling.

P.S.: So if the ballot isn't over until October 2015, that may mean that... the team will try to develop- OR ALREADY IS STILL DEVELOPING characters and wants to have some time to do so before the ballot closes and the votes are considered. Basically, ~one year, November 2014 to October 2015 to be exact, that sounds like a perfect amount of time to try to develop 3 to 4 characters using the supposedly smaller remnants of the once larger Smash development team.

That could mean that we might be able to reasonably expect at least... 6 new characters to be in Smash 4 before its development is ceased! I think ICs would definitely stand a good chance of being included in that, given that Sakurai, the team, and the Nintendo execs are nice enough to do it :3

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
So some of you are voting multiple times for ICs? That seems a little rigged-ish! I mean, I'm glad so many others are as passionate as I about the ICs, but essentially rigging the votes tho? Dag.

P.S.: So if the ballot isn't over until October 2015, that may mean that... the team will try to develop- OR ALREADY IS STILL DEVELOPING characters and wants to have some time to do so before the ballot closes and the votes are considered. Basically, ~one year, November 2014 to October 2015 to be exact, that sounds like a perfect amount of time to try to develop 3 to 4 characters using the supposedly smaller remnants of the once larger Smash development team.

That could mean that we might be able to reasonably expect at least... 6 new characters to be in Smash 4 before its development is ceased! I think ICs would definitely stand a good chance of being included in that, given that Sakurai, the team, and the Nintendo execs are nice enough to do it :3
From what I understand most other groups cast 3 votes daily for there characters. Well its not right it the world we live in.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I think Nintendo have a way of figuring out when someone is putting in multiple votes, which is why I am hesitant to put loads of them in tbh. They can't have said one per person for no reason, right?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Like Ghetto said, most people are doing the same. So if we want a good shot at getting ICies back in, we should too.

As for your other statement, that actually sounds quite possible considering what they pulled with Lucas. I'd say more but I don't have much time right now.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Wouldn't it be easier to make Ice Climbers be Ice Climber with Nana as a pallet swap, and a new B Up move?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Ok...

Ice Climbers would be insanely boring without the second climber. They would just be a toddler with a hammer, and tbh that removes what made them fun to use over other lightweight characters in the first place. You could make the same case for Zelda/Shiek losing the transformation thing, but Zelda was seldom used - let alone in conjunction with Shiek. It was a nice mechanic that was, simply put, poorly implemented. The same, however, can not be said for the ice climbers. Their niche was the one thing which made them worth using over other characters, and it allowed them to have completely unique playstyle which added depth to your movement around the stage depending on the location of the second climber, as well as influencing how they had to be dealt with by their opponent. They created a playstyle that was unique to them and them alone, and taking the second climber away simply takes the fun out of using the character.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
There's no way Sakurai would kill Ice Climbers' gimmick just to get "Ice Climber" on the roster. And I prefer it that way. As much as I want them back (they're basically at the top of my list), I'd rather remember them as a legacy fighter than destroy what made them special.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wouldn't it be easier to make Ice Climbers be Ice Climber with Nana as a pallet swap, and a new B Up move?
UGH! I'M TIRED OF HEARING THIS! THIS IS A LAST RESORT OPTION! I'm sorry if you're new to this thread but I really am tired of this. It wouldn't be nearly the same!

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
UGH! I'M TIRED OF HEARING THIS! THIS IS A LAST RESORT OPTION! I'm sorry if you're new to this thread but I really am tired of this. It wouldn't be nearly the same!
Might as well just put that on the first post of the page or something to let people know ahead of time, btw do you have the website where characters are currently being voted? I wanna see the positions Please

Edit: BTW are any of the current top 10 most requested characters a little rediculous In your opinion?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Might as well just put that on the first post of the page or something to let people know ahead of time, btw do you have the website where characters are currently being voted? I wanna see the positions Please

Edit: BTW are any of the current top 10 most requested characters a little rediculous In your opinion?
No, sorry. I dunno who has it, if anyone.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I came across this site, which is heavily dedicated to vote for Ice Climbers: http://voteforiceclimbers.com/

It has some really strong words and a lot of passion, i can tell whoever made this has a burning love for the Ice Climbers. Which i can relate to! It makes me wonder, if it was any of you guys here who made this website?

On a related note, i just found this music video which is based on Ice Climbers apperantely. Might not be your musical taste, but i think it captures Popo and Nana's frustration about being left out of the roster. Maybe?

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Err, excuse me. I was wondering what to do about the vote multiple times idea. I've submitted a vote already for my wanted newcomer, and thought about using another device to vote for my most wanted veteran (the Ice Climbers). However, I don't know how exactly votes work. Do they track the device itself, or the IP? If they track the IP, that means only one vote per home/place, which is a problem considering families have multiple people voting... Anyone have any ideas on this?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Err, excuse me. I was wondering what to do about the vote multiple times idea. I've submitted a vote already for my wanted newcomer, and thought about using another device to vote for my most wanted veteran (the Ice Climbers). However, I don't know how exactly votes work. Do they track the device itself, or the IP? If they track the IP, that means only one vote per home/place, which is a problem considering families have multiple people voting... Anyone have any ideas on this?
Don't know how they keep track. Sorry.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Apparently Roy's been found in the code. I guess one upside to this is if the Ice Climbers don't make it as DLC, they are now extremely likely to come back in the next game given that Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and soon to be Roy all took seven year hiatuses before coming back.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Apparently Roy's been found in the code. I guess one upside to this is if the Ice Climbers don't make it as DLC, they are now extremely likely to come back in the next game given that Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and soon to be Roy all took seven year hiatuses before coming back.
This, there are things about this I don't like. I don't necessarily believe we needed Dr. Mario, but he was in the original roster so I won't complain. Roy on the other hand... well, that's two clones of Marth. It would be better if they Luigi-ify him, but seeing Mewtwo and Lucas, I doubt they will, leading to three characters that will be alike. Plus, for all we know, this is the last Smash Bros. game. I don't want to upset Roy fans but, he doesn't essentially add anything new to the game. Ice Climbers are unique, they'd add something. If they could Luigi-ify him, and we'd still somehow be able to get a couple good new comers, and the Ice Climbers, then I'd be OK with him. Otherwise, it's kind of a disappointment.

That code also said something about Ryu. The only thing I have to say about him is: Confusion.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Lucas really isn't much of a clone of ness, besides specials they don't have much in common if anything.
And that seems pretty cool. There is no way Sakurai is going to ignore ICs for how highly requested they are, that shows that, the character themselves, are popular.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Lucas really isn't much of a clone of ness, besides specials they don't have much in common if anything.
And that seems pretty cool. There is no way Sakurai is going to ignore ICs for how highly requested they are, that shows that, the character themselves, are popular.
It seems the opposite actually now. Ness' customs are a clone of Lucas. :joyful:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Definitely please add me to the support list. Losing the Ice Climbers was the most devastating thing that happened to Smash 4 to me. And for what? To accommodate for the inferior 3DS version by keeping the rosters the exact same? And basing priority off of relevance to the franchise rather than the characters themselves when Smash is all they have? Nothing going against Sakurai or Smash 4, but it's absurd to think that not even multi time veterans are safe when transitioning to the next installment. But that's all in the past now and I will continue to appreciate the work that Sakurai and his team have done no matter what. Now, we know that more DLC is on the way and this is our chance to get them back in with our voices being heard! You'd better believe I already voted for them in the fighter ballot. They were one of my first mains in Smash ever going all the way back to when I started playing Melee. Sakurai made my dream come true by bringing back Mewtwo, so I hope he can do it again.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Definitely please add me to the support list. Losing the Ice Climbers was the most devastating thing that happened to Smash 4 to me. And for what? To accommodate for the inferior 3DS version by keeping the rosters the exact same? And basing priority off of relevance to the franchise rather than the characters themselves when Smash is all they have? Nothing going against Sakurai or Smash 4, but it's absurd to think that not even multi time veterans are safe when transitioning to the next installment. But that's all in the past now and I will continue to appreciate the work that Sakurai and his team have done no matter what. Now, we know that more DLC is on the way and this is our chance to get them back in with our voices being heard! You'd better believe I already voted for them in the fighter ballot. They were one of my first mains in Smash ever going all the way back to when I started playing Melee. Sakurai made my dream come true by bringing back Mewtwo, so I hope he can do it again.
Thank you for the support. Also, it seems this is your first post and you joined just today, so I'd like to welcome you to Smash Boards. Let us continue our support for the ICies (this is our nickname for the Ice Climbers, just an F.Y.I.) and have our voices be heard! Continue to vote for the Ice Climbers whenever you can so we can get the idea to Sakurai and his team.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Thank you for the support. Also, it seems this is your first post and you joined just today, so I'd like to welcome you to Smash Boards. Let us continue our support for the ICies (this is our nickname for the Ice Climbers, just an F.Y.I.) and have our voices be heard! Continue to vote for the Ice Climbers whenever you can so we can get the idea to Sakurai and his team.
Thanks a lot. I've been browsing these forums and threads for quite a while since the news came out trying to see other people's perspectives on the situation at hand and to research compelling evidence that ICies can in fact return to Smash 4. In celebration of the release of Super Smash Bros.' first DLC, I decided to finally join Smash Boards so I can feel like I'm truly part of the movement. Can't wait to see what the future holds and what new topics will be brought up. I've got my fluffy hooded coat on and my wooden hammer ready to climb this DLC mountain!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks a lot. I've been browsing these forums and threads for quite a while since the news came out trying to see other people's perspectives on the situation at hand and to research compelling evidence that ICies can in fact return to Smash 4. In celebration of the release of Super Smash Bros.' first DLC, I decided to finally join Smash Boards so I can feel like I'm truly part of the movement. Can't wait to see what the future holds and what new topics will be brought up. I've got my fluffy hooded coat on and my wooden hammer ready to climb this DLC mountain!
Exactly how I felt when I joined. I think we will get along pretty well.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
You don't think Roy/Ryu being included will affect other veterans, do you? I'm worried about the climbers chances, and the more veterans we see, the more I worry that the problems on the 3DS couldn't be fixed. I firmly believe that with work, they were saying the Ice Climbers could work on the 3DS, it would just take more time than they had before the release date, so DLC would be perfect for them.

At least I can hope for some wanted newcomers.

Garrett Robinson

Smash Cadet
I kept seeing a reoccurring problem for the past few days. People are talking about how the 3ds can't run the Ice Climbers and why they won't be in because of this, then someone said that with the New 3ds the Ice Climbers would be able to run, but then someone also said they wouldn't leave the 3ds users without Ice Climbers and thats the current problem. The reason that this issue isn't much of an issue is because why would Nintendo make a full title exclusive to the New 3ds (Xenoblade Chronicles 3D), but then back out when they have to exclude the 3ds DLC. This what I don't understand and anyone feel free to explain why i'm wrong. Regardless of any of this I'm a proud supporter of this campaign to get Ice Climbers in Sm4sh and I'm glad we have this much of a following.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
While I just want the Ice Climbers back at least in the Wii U, I'm not sure about the New 3DS getting them while the regular one doesn't. We do have games that have N3DS exclusive features, but that's really nothing more than the C stick and ZL ZR buttons. Since DLC characters are getting amiibo, and if the external 3DS amiibo adapter comes out, there would be compatibility issues if ICies were impossible on the 3DS. I don't know much about 3DS memory and data transfer, but hypothetically if you put your Smash 3DS game with ICies from New to old 3DS, there would be issues. I'm only theorizing at this point. I think ICies being only on New 3DS and not old would be confusing and not very intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I'm very doubtful about the current Roy and Ryu leak. It doesn't make much sense to me. I'd expect the next two DLC fighters to be Ice Climbers and Wolf because they seem like a given.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
While I just want the Ice Climbers back at least in the Wii U, I'm not sure about the New 3DS getting them while the regular one doesn't. We do have games that have N3DS exclusive features, but that's really nothing more than the C stick and ZL ZR buttons. Since DLC characters are getting amiibo, and if the external 3DS amiibo adapter comes out, there would be compatibility issues if ICies were impossible on the 3DS. I don't know much about 3DS memory and data transfer, but hypothetically if you put your Smash 3DS game with ICies from New to old 3DS, there would be issues. I'm only theorizing at this point. I think ICies being only on New 3DS and not old would be confusing and not very intuitive.

EDIT: Also, I'm very doubtful about the current Roy and Ryu leak. It doesn't make much sense to me. I'd expect the next two DLC fighters to be Ice Climbers and Wolf because they seem like a given.
That's the thing though. Sakurai is unpredictable. Plus multiple sources have confirmed Roy/Ryu files being in. So I guess they're just coming first. Wolf probably after. Sadly Ice Climbers might not come back at all due to technical limitations. I hope to see them again in Smash 5 at the very least.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You don't think Roy/Ryu being included will affect other veterans, do you? I'm worried about the climbers chances, and the more veterans we see, the more I worry that the problems on the 3DS couldn't be fixed. I firmly believe that with work, they were saying the Ice Climbers could work on the 3DS, it would just take more time than they had before the release date, so DLC would be perfect for them.

At least I can hope for some wanted newcomers.
Doubt it. Given how the Smash Ballot was announced only two weeks ago, Roy and Ryu were probably planned as DLC from the get-go. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo had a list of characters they always intended to be DLC for this game. Either way, this development shows that four DLC characters are pretty much in and the Smash Ballot doesn't even close until mid October, which makes me think that we're in for a lot more DLC than we originally thought.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Doubt it. Given how the Smash Ballot was announced only two weeks ago, Roy and Ryu were probably planned as DLC from the get-go. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo had a list of characters they always intended to be DLC for this game. Either way, this development shows that four DLC characters are pretty much in and the Smash Ballot doesn't even close until mid October, which makes me think that we're in for a lot more DLC than we originally thought.
I guess the more the merrier, right?

Top Bottom