• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Voting has ended. I'll be attempting to draw the ICies in a picture based off of their trophy in this game, however, I just got hit with a load of projects, so I don't know if I'll be able to complete it by the 30th. :( I will try to though.

Last edited:

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
Here's my tribute to their 30th year. I just finished it today.
image.jpg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's my tribute to their 30th year. I just finished it today.
View attachment 37183
Wonderful. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my drawing up by the end of tomorrow (unless I get a day off, then I might be able to finish it off, but that probably won't happen). Sorry guys. I'll see when I can get it done. I did get hit with a lot of projects for school though, so I may not be able to post anything for a good time. Once again, I'm sorry, but I'll see when I can make room for it.

ZephDGT

Smash Rookie

Hey, everyone! Happy 30th anniversary to the Ice Climbers! Popo and Nana are my favorite characters of any Smash Bros game, and I wanted to honor them on their special day. Let's celebrate with plushies!!! and maybe Smash Bros DLC...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well, this is what I could get done. Happy 30th anniversary, Nana and Popo!
Ice Climbers drawing.jpg

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Everyone is showing their work for their 30th anniversary, so here is mine:

In addition to this: One of the youtubers creates remixes of video game music and about a month ago he uploaded this video:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I only would want them back if they receive new designs.
For example, if they look more like this...

Awesome, eh? Part of the IC anniversary thing THIS artist is doing. Also: http://iceclimbersadventures.tumblr.com/
...i'd LOVE for them to return.
They look much better (and 100 times cuter) than the boring designs they have in melee & brawl.

...seriously, i really adore how they look in that animated gif. : )

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I was gone for a week, but i didn't forget about the anniversary.

Also, while i was gone which happened to be at my grandma's place. Where i used to spend time drawing a lot in my childhood, i found these old drawings i made of Ice Climbers when i was a little toddler. I've decided to share them as a part of celebrating the anniversary!

Popo and Nana were some of my childhood heroes, as you can see. And they still are to me now, POPO AND NANA FOREVER! :popo:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I think they should've used just one character instead of two, Popo with Nana being an alt.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I think they should've used just one character instead of two, Popo with Nana being an alt.
They probably thought that would be like making Mr. Game & Watch a 3D character or having 2 separate Warios. Or like having 2 separate Links or 2 separate Pits.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
They probably thought that would be like making Mr. Game & Watch a 3D character or having 2 separate Warios. Or like having 2 separate Links or 2 separate Pits.
Having two Ice Climbers in one fighter is too much for either versions to handle.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Having two Ice Climbers in one fighter is too much for either versions to handle.
Yeah, but what he is saying is that taking away the second climber would be taking away what made them unique in the first place.
I would rather see them come back next time as two, than this time as one.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Yeah, but what he is saying is that taking away the second climber would be taking away what made them unique in the first place.
I would rather see them come back next time as two, than this time as one.
Having just one would be the only way to have them playable in Sm4sh.
You sound like Sak (YOU CAN CALL HIM SAK IF YOU WANNA.) and his team are not incapable of having two in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
As I said, I would rather wait for Smash 5 to have them back, than to butcher wait made me like them in the first place.
I already know they will never be in Smash 4.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Anyone got good links to some fan renders for the Ice Climbers? I'm building a Smash Bros. Wii U image and I'm trying to alter some existing renders to match the Smash 4 artstyle but it's really difficult.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Are you implying New 3DS exclusive Ice Climbers DLC?

I'd be in for that.
I'm pretty sure everyone here would be. I don't care what it takes, just give me my eskimos back. And if need be, screw the 3DS version(s) and put them as Wii U exclusive DLC.

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
I am not sure if anybody has said this or not, but I will post it anyway.

Would it have been possible to avoid the problem of the 3DS being unable to handle multiple Ice Climbers at once by putting a limit on the number of players that can be the Ice Climbers at one time? For example, would the 3DS version run correctly if the number of Ice Climbers that could play at one time was limited to two pairs of ICs? The 3DS version is able to handle Multi Man Smash, which uses six characters onscreen at the same time, which is the same number of characters this would allow (2 ICs = 4 characters + 2 other players = 6 characters).

Personally, I would not care if the Ice Climbers would be disallowed from the 3DS version Wi-Fi. I just have always enjoyed playing as the Ice Climbers, and it disappoints me that two of my favorite Nintendo characters have been taken out of one of my favorite Nintendo games (tied with Pokémon and Fire Emblem). I would even be ok with New Nintendo 3DS and Wii U exclusive DLC, as long as they were still in the game. Even though I can always go play them in Melee, this situation creates the issue that they may not be included in the next game, as they may be seen as irrelevant in the context of Smash now that they have been taken out.

TL;DR We need our mountain climbing duo back in Smash. Creative DLC solutions can save them from the horrible fate of being left out of Smash forever.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am not sure if anybody has said this or not, but I will post it anyway.

Would it have been possible to avoid the problem of the 3DS being unable to handle multiple Ice Climbers at once by putting a limit on the number of players that can be the Ice Climbers at one time? For example, would the 3DS version run correctly if the number of Ice Climbers that could play at one time was limited to two pairs of ICs? The 3DS version is able to handle Multi Man Smash, which uses six characters onscreen at the same time, which is the same number of characters this would allow (2 ICs = 4 characters + 2 other players = 6 characters).

Personally, I would not care if the Ice Climbers would be disallowed from the 3DS version Wi-Fi. I just have always enjoyed playing as the Ice Climbers, and it disappoints me that two of my favorite Nintendo characters have been taken out of one of my favorite Nintendo games (tied with Pokémon and Fire Emblem). I would even be ok with New Nintendo 3DS and Wii U exclusive DLC, as long as they were still in the game. Even though I can always go play them in Melee, this situation creates the issue that they may not be included in the next game, as they may be seen as irrelevant in the context of Smash now that they have been taken out.

TL;DR We need our mountain climbing duo back in Smash. Creative DLC solutions can save them from the horrible fate of being left out of Smash forever.
Good thought. I hope we can see these two as DLC soon, because like you said, they may be forever gone from all Nintendo if they're seen as "irrelevant" in Smash for the next title (if there is one).

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
Good thought. I hope we can see these two as DLC soon, because like you said, they may be forever gone from all Nintendo if they're seen as "irrelevant" in Smash for the next title (if there is one).
It would be a shame if there wasn't another Smash game. Smash has been around longer than I have, and I have grown up playing Smash. Smash brings so many players together (like here on Smashboards), and it would be horrible to lose such a community. Where else would people turn to large-scale speculation about upcoming Nintendo games? I've wondered about Pokémon and Fire Emblem upcoming releases, but Smash, by far, has the most speculation (and the most interesting speculation) that I've seen for any upcoming game. It would also be a shame if Smash ended right as the tournament scene was growing larger than ever (with Apex 2015 being the largest Smash tournament at the time this message was posted).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If Mewtwo does well, and so does the Nintendo 3DS XL/New 3DS, I think we'll get ICies DLC.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
If there's some list of supporters, feel free to add me on it. They are the farthest in development so why not? Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were Wii U exclusive at all.
I never really... The Ice Climbers were never really prevalent to me. In Melee, my 1st console game, I learned about them as I'd learned everyone else! Their Break the Targets stage was awesome! In Brawl, it was cool to see they were back, but I was still focused on how I was ganna unlock Mewtwo this time...
Dealing with loss of a favorite character before I truly empathize with those who really loved Ice Climbers! To me, they were just another fun option I could choose every once in a while - and they were cute too. But during the speculation process of smash 4, I counted out Lucas and even Ike but never Ice Climbers! I always figured there was time, they were just being saved for some reason - maybe a trailer with someone else, why tease fans with the polar bear? I was shocked when I saw the final roster! NO Mewtwo? Or Wolf? Where were Ice Climbers?? They were with us for two games, nearly 14 years, they were family!
I also tried to stay positive with the lock, but those technical difficulties... Pikmin and Rosalina worked just fine, was this really so bad?
Anyway...sorry for being so dramatic, but even as someone who never really gave them much mind, it does really feel...sad! A family member is gone! When I occasionally hear the Ice Climbers track on that Wrecking Crew stage I think "Oh yeah, why doesn't anyone use them" and then "Oh... right..." It's weird. Having them back would be pretty heartwarming.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
If there's some list of supporters, feel free to add me on it. They are the farthest in development so why not? Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were Wii U exclusive at all.
I never really... The Ice Climbers were never really prevalent to me. In Melee, my 1st console game, I learned about them as I'd learned everyone else! Their Break the Targets stage was awesome! In Brawl, it was cool to see they were back, but I was still focused on how I was ganna unlock Mewtwo this time...
Dealing with loss of a favorite character before I truly empathize with those who really loved Ice Climbers! To me, they were just another fun option I could choose every once in a while - and they were cute too. But during the speculation process of smash 4, I counted out Lucas and even Ike but never Ice Climbers! I always figured there was time, they were just being saved for some reason - maybe a trailer with someone else, why tease fans with the polar bear? I was shocked when I saw the final roster! NO Mewtwo? Or Wolf? Where were Ice Climbers?? They were with us for two games, nearly 14 years, they were family!
I also tried to stay positive with the lock, but those technical difficulties... Pikmin and Rosalina worked just fine, was this really so bad?
Anyway...sorry for being so dramatic, but even as someone who never really gave them much mind, it does really feel...sad! A family member is gone! When I occasionally hear the Ice Climbers track on that Wrecking Crew stage I think "Oh yeah, why doesn't anyone use them" and then "Oh... right..." It's weird. Having them back would be pretty heartwarming.
I feel the same way sometimes. While never a fan of the dynamic duo, it's still a strange feeling that they're missing. They've been a part of Smash for such a long time....it's iconic, I guess you could say. If they were to return, I couldn't help but smile for them and their fans.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks for sharing your story and giving your support. I wasn't really an ICies main either, then I started enjoying the three retro characters of Brawl, and they grew on me. It is upsetting that we've lost a Smash family member. If this was a real family, they'd be the kids of it. A life without a childhood/kids in it is just a bit boring. And I think I speak for most everyone when I say this, but with the ICies it was pretty much you didn't know what you had till they were gone. Really upsetting that they've left and hope for future DLC.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Thanks for sharing your story and giving your support. I wasn't really an ICies main either, then I started enjoying the three retro characters of Brawl, and they grew on me. It is upsetting that we've lost a Smash family member. If this was a real family, they'd be the kids of it. A life without a childhood/kids in it is just a bit boring. And I think I speak for most everyone when I say this, but with the ICies it was pretty much you didn't know what you had till they were gone. Really upsetting that they've left and hope for future DLC.
Yeah, and I can imagine how hard it is for past IC Mains to try and move on, lots of stuff reminds me of them. So many icey custom moves, no real cool snow stage, Ness looks really lonely with both Lucas AND Ice Climbers gone. I dunno.
Hopefully we just get them as a Wii U exclusive if the 3DS can't handle em, they'd be pretty balanced already too. Them being the same but with no chain grabbing cause of the change in gameplay (nobody can chain grab immediately) I'd say they were good to go.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah, and I can imagine how hard it is for past IC Mains to try and move on, lots of stuff reminds me of them. So many icey custom moves, no real cool snow stage, Ness looks really lonely with both Lucas AND Ice Climbers gone. I dunno.
Hopefully we just get them as a Wii U exclusive if the 3DS can't handle em, they'd be pretty balanced already too. Them being the same but with no chain grabbing cause of the change in gameplay (nobody can chain grab immediately) I'd say they were good to go.
Ya, Ness does look pretty lonely. I mean I guess he kinda has Toon Link but they're pretty much the only kids of this game. I'd say that if we get ICies and Mewtwo back, we should also include Lucas and Wolf in there. Those were the three characters from Brawl who I think shouldn't have been scrapped.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
The Wii U files were extracted/looked in on, right? And that's how they found the Dr. Mario viruses and unused music? Does anyone know if they found any Ice Climber stuff (other than the symbol)?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Any way to give this twosome an appearance as a playable char in SSB4 would make it about 500000000 times better.

Prepare for trouble, make it double.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Off topic but the strangest thing happened to me on Wi-fi today. I'll ask if I can upload my videos so you guys can see too.

Top Bottom