• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Furret24

Smash Master
Roughly 2-5. If they make something this big, it would be really dumb on Nintendo's part to have only one character come from it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

My new avatar for the final stretch of the Ballot.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I'm just wondering what they'll do with the K. Rool mii fighter given that he's so damn popular and is totally deserving. Also I wonder if we'll be getting any female fighters for DLC :o

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm just wondering what they'll do with the K. Rool mii fighter given that he's so damn popular and is totally deserving. Also I wonder if we'll be getting any female fighters for DLC :o
K. Rool: I could care less about what they did with him.

Female Characters: Not too many popular choices to choose from, and I don't think we'll be getting 2 of them. 1 female fighter from DLC, maybe. Anymore than that is a no.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I'm thinking a maximum of 5 if they really want to go all out. Perhaps a minimum of three to fit several's definition.

Perfect! :colorful:
Maybe the K. Rool is trailer bait for King K. Rool to use as a punching bag. As for female characters, there aren't many notable ones I can think of besides Nana and Shantae.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Hahaha, this is wonderful <33 Makes me happy and hopeful.
K. Rool: I could care less about what they did with him.

Female Characters: Not too many popular choices to choose from, and I don't think we'll be getting 2 of them. 1 female fighter from DLC, maybe. Anymore than that is a no.
Yeah, it's honestly actually a little hard to think of a good female fighter that people would know about. But if popularity didn't matter much, I wouldn't mind Lip from captain rainbow or something. But of course, ICs are at the top of my list. They could also do Krystal or something. Idk, we need more females imo.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Really depends.

K. Rool really comes down to if the mii costumes were pre-planned or not. If they were, K.Rool has a chance, because it wasn't intended to be the death sentence people took it as. If it was, then it was pretty much Sakurai saying he's not going to make him a full character. I guess we'll see.

I think female characters that have a chance are Nana (Ice Climbers), Inklings, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Tetra, Impa, Lip, and Shantae; with Krystal having the highest chance of the bunch. The only one out of that bunch I wouldn't want is Tetra, and I wish I could add characters like Ayumi, Viridi, Sami, and others to that list, but I don't think anyone else really has all that much of a chance.

Edit: Also if others are to be believed, Arle Nadja has a good chance due to her massive popularity in Japan.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What about Krystal? Is Kumatora popular?
I think Krystal has a good chance. Kumatora, not so much. A lot of people are firmly against any more characters from Mother sadly, and it's not like Sakurai has shown any willingness to go outside of main protagonists, so I seriously doubt Kumatora has a chance.

Furret24

Smash Master
I think female characters that have a chance are Nana (Ice Climbers), Inklings, Dixie Kong, Krystal, Tetra, Impa, Lip, and Shantae; with Krystal having the highest chance of the bunch. The only one out of that bunch I wouldn't want is Tetra, and I wish I could add characters like Ayumi, Viridi, Sami, and others to that list, but I don't think anyone else really has all that much of a chance.

Edit: Also if others are to be believed, Arle Nadja has a good chance due to her massive popularity in Japan.
TBH, the only ones there that really have a chance are possibly Dixie (if K. rool isn't added) and possibly the Inklings.

I think Krystal has a good chance. Kumatora, not so much. A lot of people are firmly against any more characters from Mother sadly, and it's not like Sakurai has shown any willingness to go outside of main protagonists, so I seriously doubt Kumatora has a chance.
Krystal only has a good chance if Wolf is out of the question, which he isn't. Wolf is just a more sensible choice in almost every way.

I'm personally glad that people are against having more Mother characters as DLC. There's enough representation for the series already (outside of music selection) and we already have a DLC character from the series, even if he's a veteran.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
TBH, the only ones there that really have a chance are possibly Dixie (if K. rool isn't added) and possibly the Inklings.

Krystal only has a good chance if Wolf is out of the question, which he isn't. Wolf is just a more sensible choice in almost every way.

I'm personally glad that people are against having more Mother characters as DLC. There's enough representation for the series already (outside of music selection) and we already have a DLC character from the series, even if he's a veteran.
Krystal has a chance regardless. She's a popular choice in her own right that brings something new to the series. The main thing she has going against her right now, is that I haven't seen her in any of the trailers for SF Zero, but neither has Wolf (Slippy confirmed?). Plus no one said it was going to be one rep per series, so I wouldn't count anything out. I'll agree Dixie is more/just as likely though. They both have similar issues.

Mother is a good series, with tons of good characters. I'm not the biggest fan, but Kumatora,
Claus/Masked Man, and Giegue are all pretty cool choices, in my opinion. Outside of Fire Emblem, I try not to worry about overrepping anymore (and I only worry about FE, because although they have many solid characters left, Sakurai only seems interested in adding ones similar to pre-existing ones). Good characters are good characters.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Krystal has a chance regardless. She's a popular choice in her own right that brings something new to the series. The main thing she has going against her right now, is that I haven't seen her in any of the trailers for SF Zero, but neither has Wolf (Slippy confirmed?). Plus no one said it was going to be one rep per series, so I wouldn't count anything out. I'll agree Dixie is more/just as likely though. They both have similar issues.

Mother is a good series, with tons of good characters. I'm not the biggest fan, but Kumatora,
Claus/Masked Man, and Giegue are all pretty cool choices, in my opinion. Outside of Fire Emblem, I try not to worry about overrepping anymore (and I only worry about FE, because although they have many solid characters left, Sakurai only seems interested in adding ones similar to pre-existing ones). Good characters are good characters.
Wolf would be far easier to make that Krystal since he's already been in a game and shares assets with Fox. Sakurai has striped to produce the best content with as little work as possible with the Dlc so far.

Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Mother, but I don't see how they could really have new characters from it that could really unique, enough to justify it over other characters atleast.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Wolf would be far easier to make that Krystal since he's already been in a game and shares assets with Fox. Sakurai has striped to produce the best content with as little work as possible with the Dlc so far.

Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Mother, but I don't see how they could really have new characters from it that could really unique, enough to justify it over other characters atleast.
No one said it was Wolf vs Krystal. It can be both.

I don't think you could justify a bunch any Mother characters making it over others as well, but seeing that we have characters like WFT, Ryu, and many other characters I wouldn't think would be chosen over more important/better choices, I'm not going to act like it's out of the realms of possibilities. Sakurai makes some really odd choices, that we learn to adjust to later, but really, how many of us would've ever thought a character like Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, or really 2/3's of the roster were the best choices at the time. I'm just saying, let's not rule anything out.

Furret24

Smash Master
No one said it was Wolf vs Krystal. It can be both.

I don't think you could justify a bunch any Mother characters making it over others as well, but seeing that we have characters like WFT, Ryu, and many other characters I wouldn't think would be chosen over more important/better choices, I'm not going to act like it's out of the realms of possibilities. Sakurai makes some really odd choices, that we learn to adjust to later, but really, how many of us would've ever thought a character like Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, or really 2/3's of the roster were the best choices at the time. I'm just saying, let's not rule anything out.
I never said they could never happen. I just think that Sakurai is going to be really particular about the next DLC characters. This will probably rule out having multiple DLC characters from the same franchise or characters that aren't really that big, which would include more or less every Mother character.

I don't think any character, outside of 4th Party characters, have no chance of appearing. Unfortunately, almost none of them have any big chance.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I never said they could never happen. I just think that Sakurai is going to be really particular about the next DLC characters. This will probably rule out having multiple DLC characters from the same franchise or characters that aren't really that big, which would include more or less every Mother character.

I don't think any character, outside of 4th Party characters, have no chance of appearing. Unfortunately, almost none of them have any big chance.
Maybe, but if, in the scenario that Krystal was a top request, and Wolf was pre-planned (or Dixie and King K.Rool, or any other characters that hail from the same series), do you think he'll ignore it? What am I saying, of course he will.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I hate how all you hate the idea of having another Mother/EarthBound representative, but I won't dwell on that (and neither should the rest of us in this final week of the Ballot).

I don't know why, but I've got a gut feeling Nintendo's going to surprise us with the last few DLC additions. We'll get a few top picks, yes, but then they'll pull something totally out of left field (ICies perhaps, depending on your definition of what would be "left field" at this point).

Furret24

Smash Master
I hate how all you hate the idea of having another Mother/EarthBound representative, but I won't dwell on that (and neither should the rest of us in this final week of the Ballot).

I don't know why, but I've got a gut feeling Nintendo's going to surprise us with the last few DLC additions. We'll get a few top picks, yes, but then they'll pull something totally out of left field (ICies perhaps, depending on your definition of what would be "left field" at this point).
Only if "left field" stands for seemingly impossible.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I'm expecting the unexpected. Nothing has ever gone as planned, as far as character choices are concerned for Smash, and I don't expect it to start now. I still don't think another Mother/Earthbound character is going to make it, but I'm not going to rule it, or any other weird picks, out.

Only if "left field" stands for seemingly impossible.
That's pretty much what it means, yeah.

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
Oh man, I'm amazed at myself how I'm still pushing for these guys to make it back. Time keeps thinning and I just keep hoping by the end of this, I won't be disappointed :scared:.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
So the new update is out, guys. Aside from Mario Maker, there is Pirate Ship making its triumphant return from Brawl. Now, one thing to notice about Pirate Ship is that it's Wii U only. It's also funny because Pirate Ship does not work in 8-Player smash. Also, the Duck Hunt stage on Wii U has been made for 3DS as possible compensation. Other than that, the update contains several Mii costumes--most notable to me is the Fox costume because as a Wolf rooter, this does not deconfirm the beast

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
So the new update is out, guys. Aside from Mario Maker, there is Pirate Ship making its triumphant return from Brawl. Now, one thing to notice about Pirate Ship is that it's Wii U only. It's also funny because Pirate Ship does not work in 8-Player smash. Also, the Duck Hunt stage on Wii U has been made for 3DS as possible compensation. Other than that, the update contains several Mii costumes--most notable to me is the Fox costume because as a Wolf rooter, this does not deconfirm the beast
Not even in Omega? Interesting. I guess Duck Hunt is a good stage to add to the 3DS.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Duck Hunt is appropriate for the 3DS, and it finally gives the game a high-ceiling stage that you can actually take seriously

No news on fighters tho. Guess we'll have to wait a few days for them then.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Not even in Omega? Interesting. I guess Duck Hunt is a good stage to add to the 3DS.
No, silly, it works in the Omega version, sarcasm aside. I just thought that if they can make exclusive stage DLC, they can--well, you know. All DLC stages have been 8-Played compatible and on both platforms (Safe for Miiverse which can be excused as it was planned to be in the base game). Pirate Ship breaks both these rules--doesn't mean much, but makes Ice Climbers exclusive to the Wii U sound more reasonable not-as against Sakurai's style.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
No, silly, it works in the Omega version, sarcasm aside. I just thought that if they can make exclusive stage DLC, they can--well, you know. All DLC stages have been 8-Played compatible and on both platforms (Safe for Miiverse which can be excused as it was planned to be in the base game). Pirate Ship breaks both these rules--doesn't mean much, but makes Ice Climbers exclusive to the Wii U sound more reasonable not-as against Sakurai's style.
Stages aren't as big as characters.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Stages aren't as big as characters.
seem slightly more reasonable. This is something you pay for and even if it's just a stage, 3DS users are probably really salty about the Wii U exclusive Pirate Ship--If they can make a decision like this, why not take it up a notch? Yes, Characters will never be the same as stages, but here we've broken the DLC is equal rule

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
seem slightly more reasonable. This is something you pay for and even if it's just a stage, 3DS users are probably really salty about the Wii U exclusive Pirate Ship--If they can make a decision like this, why not take it up a notch? Yes, Characters will never be the same as stages, but here we've broken the DLC is equal rule
at the very least for stages.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So no Popo/Nana costumes that were rumored, sooooo that's good I guess.

All in all, this round of DLC does nothing for me. The only stages I care about are Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story(either one), and Saffron City, so this was pretty underwhelming. Still waiting for Oct 4th.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm pretty happy Pirate Ship is back. Not really a LoZ fan, but it's good to finally have a proper home stage for Toon Link.

Furret24

Smash Master
Well, you could argue that Pirate Ship isn't on the 3DS due to swimming, a key part of the stage, not on the 3DS (ironically due to technical limitations).

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Got me thinking the other day: :icsmelee: IC's had a dominant mu against Sheik for both previous Smash games (bad in Melee, and godawful in Brawl). Their removal was for reasons already explained (hardware limitations, blabla), but it makes me wonder how they would fare against her if they were in Smash4, getting past these "limitations."

Could they be the ones to finally counter her again? I sure hope so.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Got me thinking the other day: :icsmelee: IC's had a dominant mu against Sheik for both previous Smash games (bad in Melee, and godawful in Brawl). Their removal was for reasons already explained (hardware limitations, blabla), but it makes me wonder how they would fare against her if they were in Smash4, getting past these "limitations."

Furret24

Smash Master

Well, why were they so good against her in those games?

Top Bottom