• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
I think the new brawl box has an undocumented new feature. Mr. Game and Watch is now perfectly visible.

But ironically, his animations seem to no longer work in the new interpolation update. (Although that may just be me, I talked to someone else and they said they work perfectly fine...)

I also had a question, is there a way to manually set what type of interpolation for a key-frame to use, or does a single bone or animation only use one type of interpolation at a time?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Windows Vista 64-Bit. I haven't tried saving anything regularly, but saving anything in the animations editor causes it to freeze.

And the weird thing is, I kinda got it to work now. I saved it, checked an hour later, it was still frozen, but I left it on overnight and when I just checked it the file was saved and I could edit again. I don't know if I can save again without it freezing, but it worked.
I need you to open the task manager and look at your CPU load. If it's taking more than five minutes just close the program. Also, try this:

Create a new BRES pack, add a texture, save. Does it freeze?
Now change the compression to LZ77 and save. Freeze?

I think the new brawl box has an undocumented new feature. Mr. Game and Watch is now perfectly visible.

But ironically, his animations seem to no longer work in the new interpolation update. (Although that may just be me, I talked to someone else and they said they work perfectly fine...)

I also had a question, is there a way to manually set what type of interpolation for a key-frame to use, or does a single bone or animation only use one type of interpolation at a time?
There is only one type of interpolation. When the editor has been redone, you will be able to manually edit the tangents which allows for more control.

EDIT:

Ahh, I see what they did. The frame 'frequency' has been tampered with, so that it snaps to the keyframes instead of interpolating. That's why G&W jumps around like he does in the game. If they hadn't flattened him and fixed his animations, he would act like any other character.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I need you to open the task manager and look at your CPU load. If it's taking more than five minutes just close the program. Also, try this:

Create a new BRES pack, add a texture, save. Does it freeze?
Now change the compression to LZ77 and save. Freeze?

There is only one type of interpolation. When the editor has been redone, you will be able to manually edit the tangents which allows for more control.
It works, no freezing for either of them. And saving in the animation editor works fine now, I have no saving problems anymore. Not sure about Mr. Chuy, though.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Seems to be working so far right now did the .brres thing and it saved just fine i'll post if something comes up
EDIT:Editing animations is the only thing that freezes now everything else works just fine
EDIT EDIT: Re-downloaded it and it works fine now

matein10

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the false alarm with the STGEDIT_1 saving issue, Kryal.

The reason Brawlbox didn't work on my Wii was because my Brawl save seemed to have gotten inadvertently buggered up. Restoring it to an earlier point seems to have done the trick. Thanks for giving me the push to pursue what was going on.

I am sorry for the inconvenience I have caused.

-matein10

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
When I save, and it says "Compressing" the blue bar never shows up. And my Zebes 2D stage keeps freezing probably because of this, since I'm sure I did exactly what I did with Congo Jungle.

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
When I save, and it says "Compressing" the blue bar never shows up. And my Zebes 2D stage keeps freezing probably because of this, since I'm sure I did exactly what I did with Congo Jungle.
I noticed the compression window doesn't show the bar properly, but it doesn't affect the actual compression or saving. Double-check this please.
This may be the issue for you as well.

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Hm I got this freeze also. I can't tell you what I did exactly though, because I changed about 8 different things in one file, so it wasn't just animations or collisions...

KickKickFlip

Smash Apprentice
Can Brawlbox be used to model hack? If so can i have a link to a tutorial and when you model hack do you only need to include the hacked .pac?

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
It's called Vertex Editing atm. And to get an accurate tutorial, Id ask in the Tutorials section of the Workshop.

Kryal

Smash Ace
I appreciate everyone's responses on this. It seems the problem may be in the animation encoder. I will have a debug version available for download soon, as well as some possible solutions. I still need someone to check their task manager when it freezes. I need to know if the program is actually processing or not.

Which brings me to another subject. I'm really sorry that the last series has been such a mess. Apparently 63 isn't my lucky number :p. But I digress, something must be done. I've already started working on the GUI library which will replace all of the built-in libraries from the .Net framework. Instead, the programs will use custom interfaces based entirely on OpenGL. There are many reasons for this, mainly for speed, compatibility, and cross-platform options. If I build a GUI that uses OpenGL, there will be no need for WinForms OR Gtk, and it will work on the major systems the exact same way.

In addition, I will be cleaning up the library in an effort to make things run much more smoothly. It's become such a monster that if I change one thing, something else breaks! I will also begin working on the model builder in anticipation for the new GUI.

So, what does this all mean? BrawlBox will be re-worked to have better resource detection. The top bar will contain resource tabs that populate based on a file's contents. The first tab will remain the resource tree view, while following tabs will be for individual resource types. The idea is to have multiple views of the same data. For example, the model tab will list all models in the open file(s), from which you can view/edit directly from that window.

BBox will be the testing platform for the BrawlScape GUI, which will house the massive amounts of data to make Brawl mods. The primary goal is to be able to link ALL data in brawl into one interface without having to open/find a single file/resource.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
As the the GUI thing it sounds awesome can't wait for it
As for the animation thing it still processing just the usage spikes to 100% and uses a ridiculous about of memory like 20k or something the times i actually looked
i'll check it again when i save to see if anything pops up

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
It does sound awesome! So..... Vertex/point editor in the works? If yes, then how is it coming along?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Kryal knows exactly how to get us hyped XD

And I checked my task manager, and it's still responding, but it uses a ridiculous amount of memory compared to when doing anything else. And it seems that it doesn't freeze, but it takes a few minutes to save, during which time the program becomes a resource hog.

But the new GUI should turn out well, and Mac users won't have problems anymore (or so it will seem XD ).

Kryal

Smash Ace
As the the GUI thing it sounds awesome can't wait for it
As for the animation thing it still processing just the usage spikes to 100% and uses a ridiculous about of memory like 20k or something the times i actually looked
i'll check it again when i save to see if anything pops up
20k isn't very high, that's only 20MB. When it gets up around 100k then you should worry.

It does sound awesome! So..... Vertex/point editor in the works? If yes, then how is it coming along?
Vertex editor will be very easy to make, it's the rebuilder that takes time.

Alright folks, download this DLL and replace your existing one. Try to re-create the problem.
http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlLib.dll

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
20k isn't very high, that's only 20MB. When it gets up around 100k then you should worry.

Vertex editor will be very easy to make, it's the rebuilder that takes time.

Alright folks, download this DLL and replace your existing one. Try to re-create the problem.
http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlLib.dll
Still freezes when you edit a animation and save :C at least for me i'll try re downloading brawlbox and the new DLL and report back

Kryal

Smash Ace
Well, I just don't get it. I'm not encountering any freezing problems, and performance monitoring doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. There are a few other machines I can test with, but I'll do that tomorrow. Thank you for you patience everyone!

Wacka Alpaca

Smash Cadet
Hey again Kyral!
People are telling me that you CAN add collision fields in the collision editor, but i cant figure it out, mind giving me a quick walkthrough? thanks!

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Hey again Kyral!
People are telling me that you CAN add collision fields in the collision editor, but i cant figure it out, mind giving me a quick walkthrough? thanks!
Just a suggestion Kryal, but it might be a good idea to put a link in the OP to the mini tutorial you made when the Collision Editor came out. In case you don't remember what page its on, I'll check.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Kyral... I AM WACKA ALPACA...
I am well aware of my own video tuts...
I want to know how to ADD new collision fields!
(To add to my vid)

thanks again!
take two...
Here it is:
Yes, but if the program is functional enough a person wouldn't need to export now would they? Either way you'd have both options. ;)

Okay, it's here! There are a few minor things that could be done, but I'm tired of waiting. No time for a tutorial tonight, so listen up!

To open up the editor, right-click the coll resource and Preview (just like models). Camera controls haven't changed. Just use the right mouse button again.

Left mouse button will select points/planes. If you click an empty space and drag, you can select multiple points. Click a single point to select/drag it, same goes for planes. Click and drag selected pieces to move them. Escape clears current selection.

Shift-click will add to the selection, Ctrl-click subtracts. Pieces cannot be moved while shift/ctrl are being pressed.

Points can be joined/created by using Alt. Highlight point(s) and alt-click another. Any highlighted points will join to the selected one. Clicking an empty space creates a new point. Holding the left mouse button will allow you to position the point before finishing. Escape cancels.

When no points are selected, alt-click and drag an empty space to create a new plane. You can chain them together for fast object creation. The new points/planes will be added to the currently selected object, selected in the object list.

Highlight a plane and alt-click an empty space to split the plane

Pieces can be moved with the keyboard using WASD. Hold shift to move faster.

Esc is your friend! It will cancel any current action (dragging/hovering). It will also clear the current selection.

Delete will delete points/planes. If planes are deleted, the points will remain in-tact. If a single point is deleted, the planes it connects will be joined.

Some objects are attached to models/bones. Right-click these objects from the list and select Snap to jump the camera to that bone (first one is done for you). You can then use the rotation slider (upper-right) to offset the camera to match up the 2d space. The star button next to the rotation slider resets this.

Left/right brackets [] move left/right to the next point/plane (select one first). This indicates the path the object takes. Adjust the plane types (floor/ceiling/wall) so that they move left-to-right.

Align buttons will align all points on the same axis. Select a single point first, then select the points you want to change (using shift). Click 'Align', and the points will all match up to the first.

The split button will split points so they only connect to one plane.

Merge needs work. Takes highlighted points and smashes them into one.

Ledges need to be set on floor planes.

Lastly, just play around with it. :psycho:
By the way, you spelled his name Kyral; he deserves more respect than that!

Kryal

Smash Ace
Still no luck. I've tried on three machines and still no freezing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (or right)? I need someone to work with me on this, as apparently I can't do it alone. They will need to performance-log the program while it freezes. I will give you the symbol file and show you how to do it. PM me if interested.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
I'd help, but I haven't had any problems with freezing; Brawlbox is just acting odd when saving for me but the file almost always saves fine, aside from the animation glitch you already know of.

Sorry.

* Duffy *

Smash Cadet
Sorry to ask but, how do you use this?
All I think to do is load the character .PAC files.

Top Bottom