• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
Can someone please help me? I've been trying to replace a single CSP to get it to work but when ever I click "Brawl" to go into the CSS it freezes.

Update: I've gotten it to work with a black X and a white O written on peach, but if I use bits from the image I want to use on top of her it freezes, so I've come to the conclusion it MUST have something to do with the color... bleh...

I'm trying to use:

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
Kryal could u maybe add 2 buttons for zoom in and zoom out or maybe a slidebar for zoom? I think zooming would be much easier ^^".

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
hey
i have a question about supersonic
how can i remove the glowing star effects that are always around sonic?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
What about an option to know and editthe position and rotation of the camera in the 3D previews? It would be much easier to see what you want to see (very big stages, exact 90º view rotations...)

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Kryal, it seems scaling does not work or at the moment. I tried scaling a stage and it shows in BrawlBox, but it becomes its small original size in-game. Then it BrawlBox it shows up big, like I wanted.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can someone please help me? I've been trying to replace a single CSP to get it to work but when ever I click "Brawl" to go into the CSS it freezes.

Update: I've gotten it to work with a black X and a white O written on peach, but if I use bits from the image I want to use on top of her it freezes, so I've come to the conclusion it MUST have something to do with the color... bleh...

I'm trying to use:
You never did index that image when you tried to replace a custom portrait. Because all the custom portraits are in CI8 format, it's highly recommended that you index the portraits so that they aren't messed up. You do lose the semi-transparency during the process though.

Try using the image below. I indexed it for you, so that it doesn't exceed the maximum number of colors that the portrait's palette will accept (which is 240 colors if I recall).

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal could u maybe add 2 buttons for zoom in and zoom out or maybe a slidebar for zoom? I think zooming would be much easier ^^".
+ and - keys

Kryal, it seems scaling does not work or at the moment. I tried scaling a stage and it shows in BrawlBox, but it becomes its small original size in-game. Then it BrawlBox it shows up big, like I wanted.
Submit the file.

You never did index that image when you tried to replace a custom portrait. Because all the custom portraits are in CI8 format, it's highly recommended that you index the portraits so that they aren't messed up. You do lose the semi-transparency during the process though.

Try using the image below. I indexed it for you, so that it doesn't exceed the maximum number of colors that the portrait's palette will accept (which is 240 colors if I recall).
Use the quantizer in BBox, you won't lose semi-transparency. There's no need to index images before importing, the quality is the same.

I'm trying to use:
If you want to keep you images transparency, you can try replacing the brres that charaters CSPs are in, and then re-inserting them. I find that sometimes images will corrupt the pac, and I need to reinsert the portrait on a fresh one. Brawlbox helps us keep from having to do the WHOLE pac over.

But really, indexing is a safer and hassle-free option

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Actually, that's not Kryals fault. That's just how Brawl works.
Try making an animation in the same Brres as the stage model and have that animation rescale the stage model. I've done that before and gotten it to work.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Actually, that's not Kryals fault. That's just how Brawl works.
Try making an animation in the same Brres as the stage model and have that animation rescale the stage model. I've done that before and gotten it to work.
Or the most simple fix that seems to work for me every time:
Click the Clean button. It almost always fixes it.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Quick question: How do you fix that Textures2 decal problem?
Use the new version. Any files edited with the old version will need a fresh copy of the file. That, or you can manually type in the decal names.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jl5jmmzwnm2

It is a FD stage I am trying to work on and I edited the Collision file to match the model, but the model is very small in compare to the collision so they do not match. I try to scale the model so that it fits the collision. Like I said, it works in Brawl Box but not in-game.
There seems to be something going on with scaling. I'm actually revisiting the animations right now, and am making a few discoveries on how the game decodes them. ;)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm having some issues. I can add a new object, but it will not let me assign it to a model or bone. The boxes for both the model and the bone are grayed out. I can click on them, but it will not let me type anything.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice

Thanks, I appreciate that. How do I go about indexing my images exactly...? I'm using photoshop.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Image, mode, Index.

Though as Kryal has stated you shouldn't need to index anymore. I simply insert my images after making them 128 x 160. I didn't know you had to do anything specific in brawlbox in order to maintain quality.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
bleh... I tried using the one you indexed for me and the same result
That sucks. How about checking the PAC file that you're using. If you're using sc_selcharacter.pac, that file has to be compressed.

Inside that file is a PAC archive called, char_bust_tex_lz77. That archive isn't compressed, but ALL the BRRES archives inside it do need to be compressed.

If the compression status reads LZ77, then the archive is compressed.

If that doesn't help, then I'm at a total loss, regarding your issue.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Alright, I'm having some issues. I can add a new object, but it will not let me assign it to a model or bone. The boxes for both the model and the bone are grayed out. I can click on them, but it will not let me type anything.
Click the + button after highlighting a bone. You can also right-click a bone and Assign.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
That sucks. How about checking the PAC file that you're using. If you're using sc_selcharacter.pac, that file has to be compressed.

Inside that file is a PAC archive called, char_bust_tex_lz77. That archive isn't compressed, but ALL the BRRES archives inside it do need to be compressed.

If the compression status reads LZ77, then the archive is compressed.

If that doesn't help, then I'm at a total loss, regarding your issue.
yeah... its a little odd. I replaced a couple of portraits with:

and it worked perfectly... it seems like when ever put something with color in it it freezes

Update: I got a few other CSPs working, its just odd that that one specifically doesnt work...

masamunecyrus

Smash Apprentice
Anyone want to have a discussion on the feasibility of replacing one character with a different character? What I mean is, for example, taking all of Captain Falcon's files, replacing Mario's files with them, and then when you choose to play as Mario, you show up as Captain Falcon. The purpose for this would be to completely replace an alloy with a different character -- say, Link -- so that you could simultaneously put Zero on the new Link, and keep the old Link.

I've tried a variety of measures. I've tried copying all of one character's .pcs and .pac files over to a different character (e.g., rename FitCaptain.pac to FitMario.pac and replace Mario's files). The game freezes. I've thought maybe if I replaced Mario's module (e.g., rename ft_captain.rel to ft_mario.rel), perhaps it'd just load Captain Falcon's files instead of Mario's, but that resulted in a freeze. I've both of these two things combined, and it still freezes.

Any ideas?

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
Anyone want to have a discussion on the feasibility of replacing one character with a different character? What I mean is, for example, taking all of Captain Falcon's files, replacing Mario's files with them, and then when you choose to play as Mario, you show up as Captain Falcon. The purpose for this would be to completely replace an alloy with a different character -- say, Link -- so that you could simultaneously put Zero on the new Link, and keep the old Link.

I've tried a variety of measures. I've tried copying all of one character's .pcs and .pac files over to a different character (e.g., rename FitCaptain.pac to FitMario.pac and replace Mario's files). The game freezes. I've thought maybe if I replaced Mario's module (e.g., rename ft_captain.rel to ft_mario.rel), perhaps it'd just load Captain Falcon's files instead of Mario's, but that resulted in a freeze. I've both of these two things combined, and it still freezes.

Any ideas?
i done that with sonic
at first i replaced the model and texture from olimar with sonics
then i exported all animation of sonic and replaced them in olimars aniamtions
and when i choose olimar it is sonic and i can make a fight between sonic and shadow
the only problem i have is that he has the running teleport glitch

Kryal

Smash Ace

Any ideas?
When BBox is done, all you should have to do is copy the files and edit the action script. The trick is getting the code module to play nice...

In the meantime, extract the models and animations from one and insert them into another. You may have to edit the action script or modify animations to get movement working properly.

The current file loader code doesn't load modules, primarily because they use an ID that can't be replicated at this time.

Kryal

Smash Ace
yeah... its a little odd. I replaced a couple of portraits with:

and it worked perfectly... it seems like when ever put something with color in it it freezes

Update: I got a few other CSPs working, its just odd that that one specifically doesnt work...
It's the LZ77 compression. The CSPs all use the same image, which compress very well. When you throw in a unique image the file becomes large enough to freeze. Reduce the number of colors to 128-192 and see if that works.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kryal, just wanted to correct you. The current file loader DOES load modified modules.
In fact, I have made modified modules for stages with different effects.

Thats why switching modules crashes the game. They ARE loaded, they just don't work that way.

wilttilt

Smash Apprentice
Hold on. I noticed in the preview picture for the collision editor, you created some extra faces. Did I miss something or am I just an idiot?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, just wanted to correct you. The current file loader DOES load modified modules.
In fact, I have made modified modules for stages with different effects.

Thats why switching modules crashes the game. They ARE loaded, they just don't work that way.
Which code version are you using? Last I read, PW said that he disabled it because of a module identifier. I did try swapping module files a few times but nothing happened.

I may need someone's help. I've found the decoder functions for animation frames and I need some hard-coded numbers. Problem is, I don't have a USB Gecko so I can't remote debug. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT:

Nevermind! Dolphin Emu works like a charm!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
I've gotten a 2D stage to work with 2 layers made of tank and soldier- but how could I make one using three layers? I've imported a new brres, new everything, but I can't seem to set the darned new object to use the new texture I imported, it just uses the same texture as the first background...

I have also already set the position for the second background layer and everything. Everything is fine but the texture it uses.

tl;dr: How can I set a newly imported infantry to use a different texture to the old one is the main question.

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
I've gotten a 2D stage to work with 2 layers made of tank and soldier- but how could I make one using three layers? I've imported a new brres, new everything, but I can't seem to set the darned new object to use the new texture I imported, it just uses the same texture as the first background...

I have also already set the position for the second background layer and everything. Everything is fine but the texture it uses.

tl;dr: How can I set a newly imported infantry to use a different texture to the old one is the main question.
you can't add new brres and have the game load them you can either make a model using mewtwo's method or find a different stage with more brres files in it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's the LZ77 compression. The CSPs all use the same image, which compress very well. When you throw in a unique image the file becomes large enough to freeze. Reduce the number of colors to 128-192 and see if that works.
If that doesn't work, try 72 colors. Before CUPASH became outdated, it was recommended that every custom portrait does not use over 72 colors.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
File Patch 3.5.1 can load module files. It is used for Phantom Wings' Stage Roster expansion system.

Top Bottom