• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I think a way to insert frames at the beginning of the animations would be good ^^

And the looping flag for them... anyone knows a thing about it? ^^U

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
I think a way to insert frames at the beginning of the animations would be good ^^

I really hope someone can figure out that looping flag. There must be something somewhere that tells how many frames a level has...

Also, I've been playing around with the collision editor, and I'm surprised how flexible Brawl's engine is. You can have platforms that move, rotate, scale, and teleport around the arena, and your character will mostly always stay on the platform.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, I'm not gonna bug you too badly about this, cause I know how much more important other stuff is with BrawlBox, but when will you implement the ability to edit premade BRSTM's? Somebody gave it the "High" priority on your issues list, and I was merely curious as to when that feature will be released. I'm not gonna pester you about this...just wanna know
Might be next release, but haven't started on anything yet. For now, export the audio and re-import. If loop points change, the audio will have to be re-encoded anyways, especially the intro padding.

I have a true bug for 63b. It seems that I can't view a model if its vertices have been tampered with. Before, the vertex editing guide was able to use BrawlBox to preview the model before testing it in-game, but now the model doesnt show up if you use that guide.
I'm not familiar with the guide, but I'll look at it. If you could send a 'modified' file it would help a lot.

Good work with the improvements. However, the preview button has a bit of a dilemma when you disable it. Not a big problem, but one to keep in mind when comparing what the new texture will look like when replaced.
Please explain. And, I hope it's not what I think it is...

Hey Kryal, are you Azarem on the issues sight, or is that someone else?
Yes, it's me.

You can, just use the insert button in the model previewer. You may want to copy the first frame before doing so, and re-paste when you're done.

I really hope someone can figure out that looping flag. There must be something somewhere that tells how many frames a level has...
It's not a flag, it's interpolation. The game may be using bezier curves. Inside a compact frame, there are two values: one is the actual keyframe value, the other is a very small decimal number. Changing these to an arbitrary number does no good, so I'm assuming the pattern must be replicated. I'm going to start working on this again.

TheEnigmaLiesBroken

Smash Cadet
on vista - only bug i found was that one where when you rotate the stage with the bar in the upper right of the screen the collossion boxes don't rotate wtih it
but if i do it with the drag feature it works just fine so all is well.

on a good note :D I DID manage to fix that stupid final Destination lip problem by changing that one part of "ceiling" under the stage to left and right walls

also making the tiniest edge on the side of the stage a wall jumpable was pretty nice :) brings back memories of melee using fox's jump wall jump phantom move :p

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
can the collision platforms(?) be animated or somethink like that now with the editor? To get moving platforms like on smashville. If its possible, how?

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
how exactly do you get to the collision editor?
Find the collision data in the stage pac and use the previewer. Collision data is the .coll part.

I'm also curious about moving platforms. Could this be used to customize the shifting of stages like Lylat Cruise and the Pirate Ship?

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
It's not a flag, it's interpolation. The game may be using bezier curves. Inside a compact frame, there are two values: one is the actual keyframe value, the other is a very small decimal number. Changing these to an arbitrary number does no good, so I'm assuming the pattern must be replicated. I'm going to start working on this again.
Oh, I think I called it the wrong thing. I meant the thing that tells the level how many frames it has. If you change Final Destination to have 64 frames, it will animate for the first 64 frames and freeze until 9600 frames have passed (the original amount of frames).

Also, for moving platforms, attach a collision object to the bone of the platform, and then animate the bone.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Please explain. And, I hope it's not what I think it is...
Well, when you go to replace a texture, when you check off the "Preview" box, you can't see the entire texture that you're trying to replace. It instead zooms in on the upper-left part of the texture as shown on the image below. Enable the preview again, and you see the whole texture again.

Again, not a huge problem, but one to keep in mind.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Oh, I think I called it the wrong thing. I meant the thing that tells the level how many frames it has. If you change Final Destination to have 64 frames, it will animate for the first 64 frames and freeze until 9600 frames have passed (the original amount of frames).
I see. There are a few more files stuffed inside the stages, so I wonder if they have anything to do with it...

Well, when you go to replace a texture, when you check off the "Preview" box, you can't see the entire texture that you're trying to replace. It instead zooms in on the upper-left part of the texture as shown on the image below. Enable the preview again, and you see the whole texture again.
Again, not a huge problem, but one to keep in mind.
Haa, got it. It has something to do with image 'resolution'. Photoshop defaults to 72, while Windows uses 96. Changing the image resolution to 96 will fix it, but it's been resolved. Good eye my friend!

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Hey Kryal i've notcied this whenever i export a .brres files and it's already there and i choose to replace it i get something called (filename).brres.bak any idea why?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Brawlbox doesn't create them into 3dmodels(nw4r), it creates them in models(nw4r), and it does bad (when you reopen it, thing aren't as you saved), so there was no way to add them because a fail in the program (a double fail, the name of the created folder and the fact that it doesn't save correctly)
I had not reported it as I tricked the program to do it another way, but the "new model" option just doesn't work properly, kryal, take a look at it ;)

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I can open our modified New Pork City (from the stage hacking hub) in the collision editor with no problems. But when I open an unmodified NPC I get a crash.

"Collision Editor

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Object reference is not set to an instance of an object."

Details:
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.CollisionPlane.DrawPlanes(GLContext context)
   at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.CollisionObject.Render(GLContext context)
   at BrawlLib.SSBB.ResourceNodes.CollisionNode.Render(GLContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.CollisionEditor._modelPanel_PostRender(Object sender, GLContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ModelPanel.OnRender()
   at BrawlLib.OpenGL.GLPanel.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BrawlBox
    Assembly Version: 0.63.3670.40607
    Win32 Version: 0.63.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/BrawlBox%20v0/BrawlBox.exe
BrawlLib
    Assembly Version: 0.10.3670.40607
    Win32 Version: 0.10.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/BrawlBox%20v0/BrawlLib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
The preview window shows up as the red X.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
Any chance to get animations going in the collision editor?
Would make it a good deal easier to line stuff up with the model if the model moved.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Wow, just got the chance to look at the collisions viewer/editor, and you've really outdone yourself yet again. Very nice!

I have a very minor bug to report. When viewing an unedited Green Hill with 0.63b, I can uncheck any polygon I want without changing anything. I.e., even if I uncheck absolutely everything under StgGreenhillMain, nothing changes. BUT when I uncheck StgGreenhillMain itself, everything disappears.

Gaddswell

Smash Cadet
How would you move the model of a platform? I get how to move the collision data, but in game it results in an invisible platform, with the model being where it was before I moved it.

Gaddswell

Smash Cadet
To animate it, I'd have to find the bone, right?

Not sure where the bone for this platform is though. It's the top right most platform in New Pork. I'm trying to move it down towards the middle (to make it easier to climb from the bottom part to the top left without using the ship).

I've found the two polygons that correspond to ALL the platforms, but I don't know how to isolate just one of them or how to find their bones.

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Uh... this is probably a stupid question, but is there any way to run Brawlbox on a Mac?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
^Get a Windows emulator, that's the only way I've heard that actually works on a Mac

Kryal

Smash Ace
I can open our modified New Pork City (from the stage hacking hub) in the collision editor with no problems. But when I open an unmodified NPC I get a crash.

Details:
Code:
BrawlBox
    [COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="4"]Assembly Version: 0.63.3670.40607[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Win32 Version: 0.63.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/BrawlBox%20v0/BrawlBox.exe
BrawlLib
    [COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="4"]Assembly Version: 0.10.3670.40607[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Win32 Version: 0.10.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/BrawlBox%20v0/BrawlLib.DLL
The preview window shows up as the red X.
Download the latest release. Version 0.63b is build 3671.

Wow, just got the chance to look at the collisions viewer/editor, and you've really outdone yourself yet again. Very nice!

I have a very minor bug to report. When viewing an unedited Green Hill with 0.63b, I can uncheck any polygon I want without changing anything. I.e., even if I uncheck absolutely everything under StgGreenhillMain, nothing changes. BUT when I uncheck StgGreenhillMain itself, everything disappears.
The topmost items are the models themselves, while the sub-nodes are the model's bones. You would only see them if bones have been enabled. You can highlight/enable/disable them just like in the model editor.

What do the Snap and Unsnap do?
Snap will take the transform matrix for that bone/object and apply it to the camera. This is so you can view attached objects with their in-game/world location.

To animate it, I'd have to find the bone, right?

Not sure where the bone for this platform is though. It's the top right most platform in New Pork. I'm trying to move it down towards the middle (to make it easier to climb from the bottom part to the top left without using the ship).

I've found the two polygons that correspond to ALL the platforms, but I don't know how to isolate just one of them or how to find their bones.
Disable models until you find which one holds your platform. Then, enable bone rendering and highlight the bones until you find the platform (highlighted bones in this case will be red). To attach it to an object: select the object from the list, select the bone, click the plus '+' button on the bone properties. You can also right-click -> attach the bone.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Thanks for telling what the Snap and Unsnap do. And the Bone attachment i did;nt know how to use, so that will be very helpful. Any way to remove Whispy complete in Green Greens?
So he does'nt do anything. Does'nt blow, suck, or anything?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did spot something that doesn't seem right. When replacing CI4 and CI8 textures, the palettes don't seem to keep all the colors that the indexed texture contains.

You decide to replace a CI8 format texture with a texture that has 256 colors, and yet when you view the new palette, you only see 240 of the 256 colors. The image below shows what I'm talking about.

This problem also applies to the CI4 format textures as well, since when I replaced a texture with 12 colors, only 7 of the 12 colors were used.

Currently, it seems that SmashBox v0.57 is more reliable for replacing the CI4 and CI8 textures, since that version keeps ALL the colors that an indexed texture contains.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
That actually looks cool. What character is that for? If its Meta Knight. Post a pic with that awesome Glitch.

Kryal

Smash Ace
I did spot something that doesn't seem right. When replacing CI4 and CI8 textures, the palettes don't seem to keep all the colors that the indexed texture contains.
Well, there might be a reason for that. When converting to RGB565 you lose precision, and in some cases two colors that are very close together may clump into one color. The encoder takes each pixel and first converts it to RGB565 to use as an identifier. So, here's a test: convert the image to RGB565 (not indexed), export to png/tga, import, look at the 'colors' field in the importer. If it's 241 then the CI8 encoder is doing what it's supposed to.

EDIT:

Also, the old encoder didn't clump colors together so it may have duplicates.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That actually looks cool. What character is that for? If its Meta Knight. Post a pic with that awesome Glitch.
That texture part is for Roader, a Subspace Enemy. I did a Shadow Roader texture a few months ago, and I was using parts of that texture as an example.

Well, there might be a reason for that. When converting to RGB565 you lose precision, and in some cases two colors that are very close together may clump into one color. The encoder takes each pixel and first converts it to RGB565 to use as an identifier. So, here's a test: convert the image to RGB565 (not indexed), export to png/tga, import, look at the 'colors' field in the importer. If it's 241 then the CI8 encoder is doing what it's supposed to.
Well thanks for explaining the problem. I only stated this since there are many CI8 textures that use 256 color palettes, and almost every one of those palettes have 256 different colors. There are some exceptions though. And of course, a lot of my indexed texture replacing involved SmashBox v0.57.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Well thanks for explaining the problem. I only stated this since there are many CI8 textures that use 256 color palettes, and almost every one of those palettes have 256 different colors. There are some exceptions though. And of course, a lot of my indexed texture replacing involved SmashBox v0.57.
If the texture has already been indexed, then there's a chance you'll lose a few colors. This is only because of the loss in precision. If using a full-color image you'd most likely get 256.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Is there any way that we can scroll faster in the model viewer? For Models its fine, but moving around stages can take a while, especially SSE ones.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Is there any way that we can scroll faster in the model viewer? For Models its fine, but moving around stages can take a while, especially SSE ones.
Hold down shift while right clicking, unless that feature got removed and I don't know it (I don't really Shift+Right click much).

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Kryal, I have a rather unimportant request that would make showcasing animations and using animations as spriting references easier: a 'save animation as GIF' function. Low priority obviously you do decide to include it, but it would be incredibly helpful whenever done.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Kryal, I have a rather unimportant request that would make showcasing animations and using animations as spriting references easier: a 'save animation as GIF' function. Low priority obviously you do decide to include it, but it would be incredibly helpful whenever done.
That sounds like a good idea. Post it in the issue site.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm looking at the pic in the OP showcasing the collision editor and i'm wondering how one would go about adding extra collisions to a stage? clearly something was added to that platform on BF, i want to know how.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You can add new planes just by holding Alt (IIRC, I don't have the program open right now) and dragging the mouse.

Top Bottom