• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Sora3087

Smash Rookie
just two things one with a current feature and one feature that should be implemented

you cant copy a whole frame's bone transforms and paste it into a different animation's frame. you can copy a whole frame's bone transforms and paste it into a frame in the same animation. the only way to splice a frame from another animation is to copy each bone transform one at a time into the destination frame unless someone wants to clue me in on something im missing.

also kinda need to be able to move bones/nodes visually but that would probably involve a lot of work also adding IK, but at least make bones/nodes selectable by clicking on them from the 3d viewport

thanks

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Kryal, this problem's been around since we could load animations on models: When scrolling up through the animation list using the arrow keys, the selected animation is 2 spaces below where it should be, 3 spaces below when going down.

Looks like this: up, down
Should look like this: up, down

Another old problem I forgot about: if you collapse the bones tab, the polygons list becomes as tall as the entire left side. Image, there are actually 10 polygons beneath polygon621 that are obstructed. The scrollbar itself is also hidden since I moved it all the way to the bottom of the list.

Just found this: you can drag the bones tab past the textures tab and even below the window. Okay. Too far, if you move it past the textures tab you can no longer drag it. Way too far, past the bottom of the window. In the same way you can move the textures tab too far and off the top of the window. Like so.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
hey ammm can someone give me a link to download ONLY the hair of roy? without the moveset. pliz!

and its posible to put the hair of roy only in one texture? 'cause a want a Marth vs Roy (Without moveset, only texture and hair)

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
So someone explain to me the capabilities of BrawlBox and why I should have it.

Can I make textures?
Can I make BRSTMs?
Can I view them afterwards?

Revven

FrankerZ
You can't have the hair without the moveset unless you get someone to do it for plain Marth and good luck trying to get anyone to do that.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
So someone explain to me the capabilities of BrawlBox and why I should have it.

Can I make textures?
Can I make BRSTMs?
Can I view them afterwards?
Triple yes. Well, for textures you have to export the texture you wish to edit, edit it, and then import, but that's rather simple.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
If I'm using Gimp the make them currently, how is that going to work?
:urg: I tried using GIMP when I first started texture hacking, but I couldn't get it to save in the proper format... I dunno if it's possible to use GIMP for it.

Brizzle

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna go out tomorrow and purchase a video card. Anyone have a suggestion for a good/cheap model? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want a piece of crap either. I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Sora3087

Smash Rookie
-moved from its own topic-
my friend suggested that i should work on importing a character from ATs because i'm studying and have done professional animation(too bad working in brawlbox is a big step down).
so i read Thunderspam's little guide, which was a little self explanatory, and i got the model and texture imported correctly.

while working on animations for anyone, when you import the original animations they obviously have all the bones addressed in them. but any animations that the game had for the character you imported into will have more bones addressed.

should i start by importing a bunch of basic animations from the original character so that none of the animations will have problems?
what animations do you need minimum for the game to not crash on load?

another question is if the game uses animations based on what their names are or something else?

anything else that i would need to know before i start creating animations and then needing to do them all over again because i did it wrong?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Test it in the game first to make sure it loads. You'll want to have a look at this. Test it in game first to make sure it can actually load.

You don't have to worry about having too little animations if you did it correctly. You should have replaced the model and textures in the Fit[Character]00.pac of whatever character you're replacing. All the animations of that character will be in the Fit[Character]MotionEtc.pac which you load in the model preview window. You can then export, edit, and replace the animations in the right panel.

I believe the Fit[Character].pac calls the animations by name.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Sort of an odd feature request, but being able to edit the files in the AnmVis and AnmTexSrt folders in characters' AnimationData in characters' MotionEtc file. Doing so would be enable easier editing of character's facial features.

Kryal

Smash Ace
just two things one with a current feature and one feature that should be implemented

you cant copy a whole frame's bone transforms and paste it into a different animation's frame. you can copy a whole frame's bone transforms and paste it into a frame in the same animation. the only way to splice a frame from another animation is to copy each bone transform one at a time into the destination frame unless someone wants to clue me in on something im missing.

also kinda need to be able to move bones/nodes visually but that would probably involve a lot of work also adding IK, but at least make bones/nodes selectable by clicking on them from the 3d viewport

thanks
For now, export the animation end replace it in ones you want to change. Visual editing will happen eventually.

Kryal, this problem's been around since we could load animations on models: When scrolling up through the animation list using the arrow keys, the selected animation is 2 spaces below where it should be, 3 spaces below when going down.

Looks like this: up, down
Should look like this: up, down

Another old problem I forgot about: if you collapse the bones tab, the polygons list becomes as tall as the entire left side. Image, there are actually 10 polygons beneath polygon621 that are obstructed. The scrollbar itself is also hidden since I moved it all the way to the bottom of the list.

Just found this: you can drag the bones tab past the textures tab and even below the window. Okay. Too far, if you move it past the textures tab you can no longer drag it. Way too far, past the bottom of the window. In the same way you can move the textures tab too far and off the top of the window. Like so.
Yes, the bone list needs work. Enable themes or maximize the window for now.

I'm gonna go out tomorrow and purchase a video card. Anyone have a suggestion for a good/cheap model? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want a piece of crap either. I'd greatly appreciate your input.
Wrong thread. Please don't ask that here.

-moved from its own topic-
my friend suggested that i should work on importing a character from ATs because i'm studying and have done professional animation(too bad working in brawlbox is a big step down).
so i read Thunderspam's little guide, which was a little self explanatory, and i got the model and texture imported correctly.

while working on animations for anyone, when you import the original animations they obviously have all the bones addressed in them. but any animations that the game had for the character you imported into will have more bones addressed.

should i start by importing a bunch of basic animations from the original character so that none of the animations will have problems?
what animations do you need minimum for the game to not crash on load?

another question is if the game uses animations based on what their names are or something else?

anything else that i would need to know before i start creating animations and then needing to do them all over again because i did it wrong?
Use the Clean button to remove unused bone references.

Bones are moved based on name. The game first checks the CHR file, and for every entry the game looks for a bone with the same name. If a bone isn't found, it is ignored. There really isn't any harm in having unused CHR entries except for taking up space.

Sort of an odd feature request, but being able to edit the files in the AnmVis and AnmTexSrt folders in characters' AnimationData in characters' MotionEtc file. Doing so would be enable easier editing of character's facial features.
In the works.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Lend me your ears!

I've been noticing a LOT of posts that are NOT related to BrawlBox. Many legitimate posts have been overlooked because of the mass amounts of chit-chat. Not only is this rude, but it hinders the development process tremendously! This thread needs to stick to support questions and feedback for BrawlBox.
Please post your personal work/requests elsewhere!

On a lighter note, I've been working on getting the quantizer finished this week, so we can expect a release soon. No major features this time (sorry!). This is one of the things that has been bugging me for a while. I wanted to make the palette quantizer better so you won't have to use GIMP for CSPs (in fact it uses GIMP's median cut method). The reason I've been putting it off is because it takes a lot of time and effort to perfect.

That and various fixes, along with minor support for CLR0 editing.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Holy crap, CLR0 editing and better working CSPs.

This is a big thing for me especially becuase I've just now started working on making CSPs for all my characters.

Kryal

Smash Ace
CLR0 files are actually really simple Kryal, its a super easy task to convert them to BMP files and back.
CLR0 files are color sequences that are applied to affects/materials during an animation. They are very simple, which is why it only took a day to make the editor. I thought it would be easier to be able to edit them in a linear manner.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
One thing that kind of bugged me that MAY be easy to implement (idk, i dont program at this level) is deleting frames of animations from parts other than the end. like, say you have an animation with 100 frames, but only want frame 51-100. this can only be done by coping each frame data to previous frames... which would take. also it it's possible for it to do an equation to adjust all bone translations for move swapping. (say mario's arm was at 1,0,0 and fox's was at .8,0,0 it would do the math to make mario's animation fit fox(by referencing fox's t-pose))
Edit: my bad... just saw the post a few above on this second issue ^^

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
CLR0 file editing isn't "Minor" (Pirate ship, for example). It's a simple thing to do, I can just easily edit them through hex, but integrated Brawlbox support would be awesome.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I think he's talking about deleting the first frame. Any bones that aren't keyframed on the next frame are given 0s for translation and rotation and 1s for scale, even though they previously had some other value (they were motion tweened somewhere between 2 keyframes).

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm having some trouble getting scaling to work. mainly YI:M. i scale it, but when i put it in game nothing is different regarding the size of the stage. same problem when i try to re-size WWR.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Lend me your ears!

I've been noticing a LOT of posts that are NOT related to BrawlBox. Many legitimate posts have been overlooked because of the mass amounts of chit-chat. Not only is this rude, but it hinders the development process tremendously! This thread needs to stick to support questions and feedback for BrawlBox.

On a lighter note, I've been working on getting the quantizer finished this week, so we can expect a release soon. No major features this time (sorry!). This is one of the things that has been bugging me for a while. I wanted to make the palette quantizer better so you won't have to use GIMP for CSPs (in fact it uses GIMP's median cut method). The reason I've been putting it off is because it takes a lot of time and effort to perfect.

That and various fixes, along with minor support for CLR0 editing.
Quoting this whole post so it stays visible.

Anyway, I have some questions incited from the mention of CSPs... though I'm kind of afraid of being impertinent now, I'm going to be reckless and ask anyway.

First I'm wondering what exactly this change entails; does this mean that we will be able to change the palette a graphic uses directly with BrawlBox? If so, that would be quite impressive. If not, I still applaud it -- any addition of features to this awesome progrum is something I endorse.

Anyway, now for the possibly more impertinent part... I have been wondering for a long time how CSP replacement is properly done. I know that one way is by replacing pictures in sc_selcharacter.pac. This interferes with Custom CSS's, however, and I heard there was another method by replacing single files, which are called something like InfFaceBrres or something of the sort. Is it possible anyone could elaborate on this process for me?

If my second question (or my first question) is too far off topic, I'll gladly delete it, though I would really like to know.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Deleting the first frame...makes every polygon wrap around each other. D:

It doesn't even go to 0. It stays keyed. It just ohko's the whole animation.
The non keyframed data is what gets messed up. I wrote a thing about it and how he could fix it a few pages back.

Anyone know how the "BrawlBox FAQ/Q&A" and "Post Your BrawBox Creations" threads are coming along?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm having some trouble getting scaling to work. mainly YI:M. i scale it, but when i put it in game nothing is different regarding the size of the stage. same problem when i try to re-size WWR.
^^kind of an issue and i don't want it to be lost because it happened to be at the end of a page (at least on my screen).

Kryal

Smash Ace
Quoting this whole post so it stays visible.

Anyway, I have some questions incited from the mention of CSPs... though I'm kind of afraid of being impertinent now, I'm going to be reckless and ask anyway.

First I'm wondering what exactly this change entails; does this mean that we will be able to change the palette a graphic uses directly with BrawlBox? If so, that would be quite impressive. If not, I still applaud it -- any addition of features to this awesome progrum is something I endorse.

Anyway, now for the possibly more impertinent part... I have been wondering for a long time how CSP replacement is properly done. I know that one way is by replacing pictures in sc_selcharacter.pac. This interferes with Custom CSS's, however, and I heard there was another method by replacing single files, which are called something like InfFaceBrres or something of the sort. Is it possible anyone could elaborate on this process for me?

If my second question (or my first question) is too far off topic, I'll gladly delete it, though I would really like to know.
It means the palette generator won't suck. When using the texture replacer, indexed textures lose lots of quality. This is because the generator was just a quick-fix I made eight months ago. People have resorted to using external programs like GIMP and Photoshop to generate the palettes before importing textures. Unacceptable I say!

CSPs have three locations. One is in system\common5.pac, one is in menu2\sc_selcharacter.pac, another is in info\portrite.

sc_selcharacter is used by the CSS organizer code (I think), and is an alternative to using common5. If this file exists on your SD card, it takes priority. Otherwise, the ones in common5 are used.

The results screen uses the files in info\portrite.

I had designed BrawlScape to take the headache out of file paths and manage all this automatically. Unfortunately, that project is on hold.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Lend me your ears!

To add on to this, I've created a new thread to post your creations in. Please post everything you're making in BrawlBox in there, and leave the support and feedback in this thread. (I should've done this earlier...) Any off-topic posts (like the Pokémon talk) can be discussed in the Workshop social thread. ;)

edit: brawlshifter has made a Help/Q&A topic, ask general questions of how to do this/that etc there, and support/feedback here.

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Will sure post there, Bionic Sonic.

Also, anyone knows why I have a black screen after finishing a match? It happened ever since I made a lot of stuff (Custom CSPs, icons, names, franchise logo/emblem, BRSTMs and stage), so I have no idea what could have caused it.

Edit: It also froze when trying to add stocks to a match.

2nd edit: Froze just after choosing the level of Bowser. Strange. Will try loading my common5.pac then removing my SD Card. It might be the texture.

3rd edit: I think it's my Bowser texture. Each time I try to load him, it freezes. No idea for the black screen, it happens even when not playing as him, and doesn't happen when the SD Card is removed.

4th edit: Fixed! The problem was my Bowser pac file being a renamed pcs file..hehe.

Also, I've done something really epic, video soon.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
So we won't need to index CSPs anymore when making them in Gimp/photoshop? Sweet.

Topichu

Smash Cadet
This program is without a doubt, an AMAZING piece of work! I just started playing around with this recently, (and with Chadderz SZS Modifier for MKWii), and I am speechless as to the extent in which everything can be edited. How long did it take you to make this and what general steps did you have to take to accomplish something like this?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
It means the palette generator won't suck. When using the texture replacer, indexed textures lose lots of quality. This is because the generator was just a quick-fix I made eight months ago. People have resorted to using external programs like GIMP and Photoshop to generate the palettes before importing textures. Unacceptable I say!

CSPs have three locations. One is in system\common5.pac, one is in menu2\sc_selcharacter.pac, another is in info\portrite.

sc_selcharacter is used by the CSS organizer code (I think), and is an alternative to using common5. If this file exists on your SD card, it takes priority. Otherwise, the ones in common5 are used.

I had designed BrawlScape to take the headache out of file paths and manage all this automatically. Unfortunately, that project is on hold.
Ahh, I understand. I just assumed I was doing something wrong when my CSPs got all crappy as soon as I imported them, heh. Sounds like a good fix then.

That's interesting to know about the CSP locations. I suppose that, given that setup, there's no real way to edit CSS portraits while having the Custom CSS code functioning. Bummer.

Kryal

Smash Ace
This program is without a doubt, an AMAZING piece of work! I just started playing around with this recently, (and with Chadderz SZS Modifier for MKWii), and I am speechless as to the extent in which everything can be edited. How long did it take you to make this and what general steps did you have to take to accomplish something like this?
I've been working on the program since March of last year, and was first released in June. It started as a texture replacing tool but just kind of exploded...

Kryal, do you happen to know why, when changing the cursor's animations, it glitches the Character Selection Screen?

Here's a video, it's what I've been working on lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6FBVg13QY
Nice work! As for the textures, I've seen that happen when the string list gets corrupted. Send a file if you can, and what animations specifically?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Wrong directory. That's for the small portraits.

Results screen portraits are stored in...

menu\common\char_bust_tex

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
Nice work! As for the textures, I've seen that happen when the string list gets corrupted. Send a file if you can, and what animations specifically?
Thanks a lot, I will gladly send you my file, and the animation is Men*something*Cursor, it should be easy to find, it's the same name as the model, in the list of 19513 animations. Actually, I'll find it for you, just give me a few minutes.

Edit: The animations are MenSelchrCursorA_TopN_01 and MenSelchrCursorA_TopN_02. They're in MiscData[30]. I'll send you the file in a PM.

Top Bottom