• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
For anyone who cares to know, I'm making slow progress with the RSAR files. After hours of studying the file layout I am somewhat impressed by how it works, and I know how I want to handle them.

RSAR stands for Raw Sound Archive. Which is just that: a collection of sound files packaged up inside one archive. What you may not know is that there ARE real files stored within that you normally wouldn't find anywhere else.

RWSD - Raw Sound - Collection of sounds used by action scripts. Mostly mono.
RBNK - Raw Bank - Similar to RWSD, but with multiple sound references.
RSEQ - Raw Sequence - No audio data

The tricky thing about these files is that they can appear more than once inside the RSAR. They are loaded into the game using loading groups that use the file's id and a chunk of data. Each group has its own chunk that contains multiple files. If a file is used in two different chunks, it is copied to each in the order of reference. I'm assuming that as the game parses the loading group(s) it checks to see if that file id has been loaded already. If so, it will skip over that part of the data chunk.

How is this useful? Well, it simplifies the concept of RSAR greatly. All you have to do is handle these individual files. Instead of handling it like one big mess, you can allow for single file management. A person could import/export these files much easier, and changes made to one file would be seen in all copies of that file within the RSAR.
..!

Well then, Kryal, you've blown us away with alot...

...now suction us back with SFX! You make it sound easy, but I bet it isn't. With a little patience, I know you can crack it!

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
so yeah, i'd like to know how to save changes in a vertex array so that they appear in game

I also have a problem with keyframes. simply putting the start and and rotation degrees for a capsule replacing mario's fireball for keyframes does not cause constant rotation, the capsule starts rotating slowly and increases in speed. if there's a trick to make the animation constant, i'd sure like to know

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Kryal is amazing. We can't thank you enough for all the work you have put into this program and for all the times we've bothered you with questions.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Kryal - Are the Bone files compressed funny, or something? I've tried played around with them in HexWorkshop, and all that it's managing to do is frustrate me.

I'll try and explain what I'm doing to the best of my ability:
I want to change the BoneIndex for TransN from 02 to 03, and then sort out the rest of the bones afterward so that there's no issue with two same bone IDs.

The lazy thing to do would be to take a TransN ID that currently has an Index of 03, and then importing it over the current one. However, any importing for them kills the fact that it is a parent tree, and more importantly, all of the bones that are children to it. (I believe I'm using the proper terms here.)

And in my incredibly limited experience, there's no way in hell that I'm going to be able to find the value related to BoneIndex in the entire .pcs file, and change it so that it works properly. I actually tried exporting the TransN file, opening that up in Hex Workshop, finding and changing the BoneIndex from there (Incredibly easy) and then searching for data around the ID value in the main .pcs file. But for some reason, despite the following being in the exported TransN:
EDAC 0001 5F38 0000 0003 (After I edited it from 0002 to 0003)

There is nothing similar in the main .pcs file. There's gotta be some compression or something.

Or I'm an idiot, that's always a possibility.

Sorry if I explained anything poorly.

Basically, if importing didn't kill the Parent/Tree structure of bones/everything else, what I'm doing would be really easy. Also, I'd love you forever.

More than I do now.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal - Are the Bone files compressed funny, or something? I've tried played around with them in HexWorkshop, and all that it's managing to do is frustrate me.

I'll try and explain what I'm doing to the best of my ability:
I want to change the BoneIndex for TransN from 02 to 03, and then sort out the rest of the bones afterward so that there's no issue with two same bone IDs.

The lazy thing to do would be to take a TransN ID that currently has an Index of 03, and then importing it over the current one. However, any importing for them kills the fact that it is a parent tree, and more importantly, all of the bones that are children to it. (I believe I'm using the proper terms here.)

And in my incredibly limited experience, there's no way in hell that I'm going to be able to find the value related to BoneIndex in the entire .pcs file, and change it so that it works properly. I actually tried exporting the TransN file, opening that up in Hex Workshop, finding and changing the BoneIndex from there (Incredibly easy) and then searching for data around the ID value in the main .pcs file. But for some reason, despite the following being in the exported TransN:
EDAC 0001 5F38 0000 0003 (After I edited it from 0002 to 0003)

There is nothing similar in the main .pcs file. There's gotta be some compression or something.

Or I'm an idiot, that's always a possibility.

Sorry if I explained anything poorly.

Basically, if importing didn't kill the Parent/Tree structure of bones/everything else, what I'm doing would be really easy. Also, I'd love you forever.

More than I do now.
No compression. Bones have two IDs: index and node id. The node IDs are what polygons attach to. For such a low-level bone you probably wouldn't need to touch this. The index is just the order the bone is listed. The first bone will be index 0, second will be 1, and so on. You may be able to get by with just changing the index.

If you change any of these, you may also need to change their entry in NodeMix. This is what links the node ids to bone indexes.

Also keep in mind that this will not change the bone hierarchy. In order to properly do this, you will want to swap the two data blocks and then fix the offsets. This also means that you'll have to re-link the strings.

Another solution is to just change the names (if you're doing this for animation purposes). String offsets are relative to each bone entry.

See this for more info:
http://code.google.com/p/brawltools/source/browse/trunk/BrawlLib/SSBB/Types/MDL0.cs

Also, MDL0 entries cannot be replaced. There is no rebuilder for model files yet. The only changes you can make are editable properties in the property window.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
..Oh boy, that's.. Quite far over my head. I found NodeMix, but your BB doesn't allow editing of that.

Basically, this is my issue:
The TransN bone is what controls movement. The index for TransN on Red Alloy is 5 iirc and it's 4 on Waluigi (might be 4 and 3, either way, they're one apart from each other). When dealing with the motion, the movement for the model is referrenced to the bone index, not the bone name (good job Nintendo).
Which is interfering with using an Assist Trophy as a character. It's very difficult to change Bone ID's that are in a hierarchy. :(

Just curious, is there a technical issue that explains why importing bones screws with/eliminates the hierarchy? Because if I export a bone, hex it to what I need, and then import it back, it's still messed up.

Hey I got a problem with BrawlBox

How come I can't view models properly anymore?
I also can't view textures anymore too. They don't appear anymore

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
one another question...
is it possible to use brawlbox on melee? Is brawl even based on melee (programming wise)
If so, are you able to take out those charactermodells, like... for example Mewtwo or Roy or what not. Because they also might be based on a bone system, which might make programming them into Brawl easier... just asking

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
one another question...
is it possible to use brawlbox on melee? Is brawl even based on melee (programming wise)
If so, are you able to take out those charactermodells, like... for example Mewtwo or Roy or what not. Because they also might be based on a bone system, which might make programming them into Brawl easier... just asking
Brawl and Melee are nothing alike.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Um yeah...that's because the red alloy is based off of captain falcon's model......lol
That may be true, but Red Alloy is also larger than Falcon, and I expected that because of the size difference, the Alloy's model would be squashed down (ala Mariolimar or Longchu).

Kryal

Smash Ace
..Oh boy, that's.. Quite far over my head. I found NodeMix, but your BB doesn't allow editing of that.

Basically, this is my issue:

Which is interfering with using an Assist Trophy as a character. It's very difficult to change Bone ID's that are in a hierarchy. :(

Just curious, is there a technical issue that explains why importing bones screws with/eliminates the hierarchy? Because if I export a bone, hex it to what I need, and then import it back, it's still messed up.
That's not correct. Animations use names, not indexes. Importing bones won't work because BrawlBox doesn't support it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
That's not correct. Animations use names, not indexes. Importing bones won't work because BrawlBox doesn't support it.
Hrm, then how come importing a standard character's run over an Alloy's causes so many glitches? :dizzy:

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
If anyone can figure out why this animation isn't working I'll give them a cookie or an internet or what have you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/883519/GanonMeleeJab v0.80.chr0

That needs to be injected into FitGanonMotionEtc.pac's Attack11 slot.

The animation plays fine in BrawlBox's Preview mode, and it's fewer frames than the old jab. The file size of the resultant .pac is 3.55mb, which has worked fine in the past.

Is there something special I need to keep in mind when making animations from scratch? Thanks.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Hey, Kryal, I know you're busy, so feel free to ignore this question as necessary. Basically, a lot of model swaps onto the Alloys are failing for unknown reasons, even when the character(s) get their bones properly animated. For example, Razanak and I have been trying to replace Zakochild's model and textures with Roader's from SSE. He animates flawlessly in BrawlBox, but the game crashes whenever the stage loads with this character.

We suspect the problem lies with the fact that Roader only possesses 17 bones, whereas Zakochild has 33. Some of the BoneIndex numbers cover essential functions, (for example, the bone with an index of 3 determines Zakochild's movement) so we are thinking perhaps one of these is missing from Roader.

So, basically, what I'm asking is... can you confirm or deny this theory? Alternately, do you know a way to get Roader to work?

Here are all the pertinent files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3408506/RoadaToZakochild.zip

That contains an untouched Zakochild00.pac, and all Roader's data.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Kryal, I know you're busy, so feel free to ignore this question as necessary. Basically, a lot of model swaps onto the Alloys are failing for unknown reasons, even when the character(s) get their bones properly animated. For example, Razanak and I have been trying to replace Zakochild's model and textures with Roader's from SSE. He animates flawlessly in BrawlBox, but the game crashes whenever the stage loads with this character.

We suspect the problem lies with the fact that Roader only possesses 17 bones, whereas Zakochild has 33. Some of the BoneIndex numbers cover essential functions, (for example, the bone with an index of 3 determines Zakochild's movement) so we are thinking perhaps one of these is missing from Roader.

So, basically, what I'm asking is... can you confirm or deny this theory? Alternately, do you know a way to get Roader to work?

Here are all the pertinent files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3408506/RoadaToZakochild.zip

I don't think that is the problem. I know that the Waluigi AT worked with ZakoBoy but Grey Fox didn't and Waluigi and Grey Fox share a lot of similar bones (only thing not shared are the HeadN bones which ZakoBoy doesn't have). However, this is just one observation so I can't really say that you're wrong.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I don't think that is the problem. I know that the Waluigi AT worked with ZakoBoy but Grey Fox didn't and Waluigi and Grey Fox share a lot of similar bones (only thing not shared are the HeadN bones which ZakoBoy doesn't have). However, this is just one observation so I can't really say that you're wrong.
Well, I know Waluigi has less bones than the alloy... but I think there is a minimum number. It's not really about what bones are what or where, it's basically just how many you have. (Because you can always swap things around once you achieve the minimum number of bones.)

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I downloaded Brawl box and the waluigi set
How can I view the model? do I need the iso of the game?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The background on FD works now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DByNl1L7lg).
I tried the same thing on Battleflied but i cant get the background to work on BF. Does anyone have someone tested it out on BF to change the bg and could tell me what i can replace and what now, thx :p
As I said on the video...We're getting closer and closer to Melee Final Destination o_o

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Nice job on replacing the background.

I wonder if it would be possible to replace it with something like the F-Zero stage or Meta-Knights stage :p.

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
it crashed on FD but it works on BF :p

i just to add the textures (didnt done that) and remove the stage in the middle XD

EDIT: ok Halberd on FD works too but then the FD stage is invisible xD

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
it crashed on FD but it works on BF :p
[PICTURE]
i just to add the textures (didnt done that) and remove the stage in the middle XD

EDIT: ok Halberd on FD works too but then the FD stage is invisible xD
...Wow, that was fast XD... Does it animate and everything? (looks like it does)

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
Yes Halberd is animated. I also know now how to get the BG from Tabuus stage to bf, but if im adding textures the pac file becomes 3,5+ mb big and frezzes :/, Same result with Halberd if the texture is added. Was there a file size limit on the pac files?...if yes... ****...

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow! I got it working almost flawlessly (except for a few textures not displaying correctly, probably my fault XD)

I've never tried swapping things like this before, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right but it seems to work fine (and It even kept the star and cloud effects):

(Click the images for full size)

Also, just a little problem:

But that can be fixed with animation editing.

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
im trying to put grey fox over red alloy but i got some problems
when he enters the stage all works normal but when it will load the wait 1 animation it freezes.
i set the frames of his enter animation to 1000 and and it dont freez but he cant move and when it loads the next animation it freez.
Does anyone know how to fix that that it dont freez when the first animation is over?

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Kind of an odd request, but wouldn't anyone happen to how to control a certain part of a character? More importantly the mouths of characters like Ike, Link & Zelda.

I'm trying to make it so their moves mouth as if they're talking, but they don't have mouth bones. Ike has a 'talk' bone, but it doesn't seem to do anything when altering it.

Kryal

Smash Ace

A more appropriate question is, why doesn't the alloy costume work with a character script and MotionEtc?

The key may also be in the action scripts and/or rel module. Not very likely, but possible. I'll take a look.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Kind of an odd request, but wouldn't anyone happen to how to control a certain part of a character? More importantly the mouths of characters like Ike, Link & Zelda.

I'm trying to make it so their moves mouth as if they're talking, but they don't have mouth bones. Ike has a 'talk' bone, but it doesn't seem to do anything when altering it.

I looked into the same thing a few weeks ago.

I got it working on all three of Fox' victory taunts but when I tried doing the same thing to Link I noticed that there are no bones at all controlling his eyes or mouth. (well he has them for his eyes but they don't seem to be used)
There's probably another type of animation for that stuff.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I am currently working on making Lyn playable via Alloy switching like Waluigi and Primid. I currently have about 17% of the animations done but I need help with asking this:

Which files do I need to put in the zakogirl file?
How can I fix the decoloring and move set? (Sometimes when I try to view Lyn in game, she is either the color yellow or blue and the animations I gave her don't show up and she is abit taller) which comes up to my next question, do I need to some how transfer what I've done in the Motion.pac file to PSA? If so, can anyone help me with PSA such as linking me or giving me the basics on how to use it? If you can be so kind to VM or PM the info since I can only use the public library computer once a day so help me, help you, help me make Project Emblem (or Lyn) a reality >.>

Sorry again if I'm not specific but I am limited with not being able to look up the stuff I need help with on this public computer.
Bumped.

I really would like to see how much progress I am making.

Top Bottom