• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

Ace9797

Smash Rookie
how would u add a gun or sword to a person who doesnt have a sword...like can u make marth have a gun??? help is greatly appreciated.:)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
how would u add a gun or sword to a person who doesnt have a sword...like can u make marth have a gun??? help is greatly appreciated.:)
Possible, but not very efficient. For example, Lloyd is over Wolf and he uses swords. However, Wolf has no sword glows or trails in his main file compared to characters like Ike, Marth, and Link. As for characters already in Brawl, you'd want to have attack animations that actually make it look like they're using the sword in the first place (easiest way is to redirect the PSA moves' animations to the swingitem animations for this).

Look at Eldiran's Sword Ganondorf as the best example.

Ace9797

Smash Rookie
heeyy...um i was wondering how would i make a person run as fast as sonic...say for instance, (DONKEY KONG)...help is greatly appreciated :)

keromonkey

Smash Rookie
Getting Brawl Box to Work in Windows 7 -- Preview Crash

I can't preview models on my Windows 7 Computer. On another Windows 7 I can, but I can't on mine.
I preview the model, and I just get a white screen. If I click it away brawlbox "crashes".
I couldn't install the 3.5 services pack because the installer is too old for Windows 7, does that have anything to do with it? Does anyone know how to fix this?
I also have windows 7 & I finally figured how to get it working on mine (every time I tried to preview the model it would crash). What I did was right click on brawl box (the program, not a pac file that automatically opens in brawl box) and choose troubleshoot compatibility/run in compatibility mode, than loaded a pac and checked my preview, after this it worked so I saved my settings under trouble shooting compatibility but hey, it werkx XD

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion

I know I've posted this before, but now I have the tools to correct it; however the brick textured area in the background on the bottom and top are not supposed to be there. How can I fix it?

Toadsmash

Smash Rookie
You probably didn't zoom out the model. To zoom out click in the area where the model would be and hold down -
Good lord! Thank you!!!

Why did the model editor do this? It ruined my life for two days. But thank you so much :bee:

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have a question about brawl box, what I wish to do is extract the bombs (Just the bombs) texture away from the Bomberman texture and add bomb pikmans to the Megaman all powered up textures, how would I go about doing that? This is my first time using brawl box so I am not sure (I am using the v 0.63 version)

CoonTail

Smash Lord
I was directed to this forum and Im having an issue with applying stage textures.

I created both folders I needed to including stage and melee but when I place the files inside no textures were shown in game.

Where do I store the textures files, in the stages folder or in the melee folder?
Is there a set format for stages texture names similar to character textures (i.e. FitWario00)?
Do I need brawlbox for these stage textures to work?

CRUSH_

Smash Cadet
Has anybody figured out how to make a sword trail black yet? If I make any part of it black the program just treats it like it's transparency.

I've already tried extremely dark colors, doesn't come out black.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
OK, I have a problem with BrawlBox.

I tried making a BRSTM with it by clicking File>New>Brstm Audio Stream
Then I selected a WAV file

Then, BBox imported the file, then the window opened where you set the loop point and where you can preview it. Problem was, it said the length of the file was really short (21 samples).
When I press the Play button, it makes a brief tapping noise and stops.

I was actually able to use it properly before, and made a brstm. But now I'm getting this problem.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
BrawlBox crashes whenever I try to save after editing the Common5.pac. I've replaced 3 CSPs. Why is it crashing? Is there a limit to how many pictures I can replace? I'm trying to replace all of them.

OK, I have a problem with BrawlBox.

I tried making a BRSTM with it by clicking File>New>Brstm Audio Stream
Then I selected a WAV file

Then, BBox imported the file, then the window opened where you set the loop point and where you can preview it. Problem was, it said the length of the file was really short (21 samples).
When I press the Play button, it makes a brief tapping noise and stops.

I was actually able to use it properly before, and made a brstm. But now I'm getting this problem.
That's because Audacity (or whatever program you're using) isn't writing the WAV properly. Get Audacity's stable version (not the Beta), and export a WAV. It should work just fine.

Kati

Smash Lord
@Flowteau

I've had two causes for common5.pac's crashing on me.

1) a portrait wasn't 128x160.

2) a picture I used as a portrait was a corrupt file.

Edit: if I have 30 or so models all with the same collisions, can I copy and paste the collisions from one model onto every other one? or do I have to redo every single model?

Lokao0

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new to texture hacking.
I already made one texture hack, which is MetaMario and works flawlessy.
However, I tried making a Luigi texture hack, but it won't appear in-game. If I open it in BrawlBox, it shows the texture as changed.
Can someone help me?

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
I never tried doing texture hacks before.... so I can't personally help with that one.

I'm having an issue with the "Brawl Name tags during replays".

Sometimes, a letter will be replaced by a white block...

for example. My name GUARD. During the replays.... it might appear as "GUAR " .... and the letter "D" would be replaced by a white block.

Anyone can help me with this??? Thanks in advance.

This is more of a computer issue more than brawlbox itself.

I'm trying to set-up brawlbox as the default program to open up .pac .pcs and other smash files. However, I cannot seem to ever get my computer to recognize brawlbox as a default program. Right click on a .pac file, and "open with" -> "choose default program". Brawlbox is not on my list, so I go to "browse" and find the folder where I keep it and open. But then nothing happens when it opens. I go right back to the default program with a previously highlighted program (which is not brawlbox). I had this set-up once before and I'm not sure why it's not working anymore.

Sir_Ham_Sandwhich

Smash Rookie
Whenever I try to start the program a window keeps popping up and it says "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this appication" does that mean my computer doesn't have the system requirements to run Brawlbox? If it doesn't then how can I make it eligable to run Brawlbox?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Whenever I try to start the program a window keeps popping up and it says "Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this appication" does that mean my computer doesn't have the system requirements to run Brawlbox? If it doesn't then how can I make it eligable to run Brawlbox?
I believe you need to download Microsoft .NET framework (the latest being 4.0, IIRC).

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
I don't understand how to use brawlbox. I made my edits by replacing my file but how do I save it and such. This is for a character select screen by the way. I plan on downloading a SSS one later.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
So I have been working on SSS Icon replacing lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to a problem I can't seem to get.

I replaced a Stage Selection Screen icon which included the picture, the name of the stage, and also the game name it is from. I ran into one problem though. When trying to replace the emblem of Mushroomy Kingdom, (it would be a mushroom since it is from mario) I noticed the mushroom was set to several different stages, so replacing that one stage emblem, which would be MenSelchrMark.01, would replace all of the mushrooms on all the stages with whatever I replace it with.

So how do I tell the game that I just want the emblem on this specific stage icon to be changed without changing the others?

1544C

Smash Rookie
hi all
is there someone who could tell me how to add in a stage a fall-through water with a splash effect(water from melee) when a character fall in?

:phone:

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
hi all
is there someone who could tell me how to add in a stage a fall-through water with a splash effect(water from melee) when a character fall in?

:phone:
I don't think it's possible since the splash effect is a collision and you want the water to be go-through.

Moseythepirate

Smash Cadet
I cannot preview MDL0's in Brawlbox; it throws the unhandled exception error at me, with a rather attractive red x on the preview screen. Here's the error message:

[COLLAPSE=" "]See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at BrawlLib.OpenGL.wGL.glClear(GLClearMask mask)
at BrawlLib.OpenGL.wGlContext.glClear(GLClearMask mask)
at System.Windows.Forms.ModelPanel.OnRender()
at BrawlLib.OpenGL.GLPanel.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BrawlBox
Assembly Version: 0.64.4208.20815
Win32 Version: 0.64.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/moseythepirate/Desktop/Brawl%20Stuff/Brawlbox%20v0.64%20Modset%201%20(Old)/BrawlBox.exe
BrawlLib
Assembly Version: 0.10.4208.20812
Win32 Version: 0.10.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/moseythepirate/Desktop/Brawl%20Stuff/Brawlbox%20v0.64%20Modset%201%20(Old)/BrawlLib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4214 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4215 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.[/COLLAPSE]

Christian_CAO had the exact same problem a while back, but so far as I can tell, he never fixed it. The files I'm trying to read are fine, I have microsoft framework 4, lame but good enough video and graphics cards...I don't know what I can do to fix it. Any help? I can't work on the projects I have planned without the previewer.

wangston

Smash Lord
I can`t see the preview of anything the screen is blank. I`m using windows seven, tried to run in compatible mode but I got nothing.

Help its rather annoying.

When everyone is getting it to work on compatible mode what settings are you using????

I`ve tried both versions. .63 and .64 and it won`t let me do a preview.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
[strike]So I've had a little problem using Audacity (1.3) to convert MP3s to WAVs. Opening certain Audacity-converted WAVs in BrawlBox results in a super-small song only a dozen or so samples long. The WAV plays normally in other programs, BrawlBox just doesn't seem to like it. If I convert the MP3 to a WAV to another program, BrawlBox treats it fine.

Any idea what's up?[/strike]
Edit: I see this was answered by Flowtreau and Bloodcross above. So exactly which version of Audacity works? I like the features in the Beta....

BrawlBox crashes whenever I try to save after editing the Common5.pac. I've replaced 3 CSPs. Why is it crashing? Is there a limit to how many pictures I can replace? I'm trying to replace all of them.
There's no limit. Certainly not a limit of 3. Is your stuff the right format? I just use pngs and never had problems.
Maybe try modifying men_charselect (or whatever it's called) instead of Common5?

So I have been working on SSS Icon replacing lately, and I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to a problem I can't seem to get.

I replaced a Stage Selection Screen icon which included the picture, the name of the stage, and also the game name it is from. I ran into one problem though. When trying to replace the emblem of Mushroomy Kingdom, (it would be a mushroom since it is from mario) I noticed the mushroom was set to several different stages, so replacing that one stage emblem, which would be MenSelchrMark.01, would replace all of the mushrooms on all the stages with whatever I replace it with.

So how do I tell the game that I just want the emblem on this specific stage icon to be changed without changing the others?
Uh, I'm pretty sure you can replace emblems independently. Each stage should have its own emblem.

Tesh

Smash Hero
could anyone tell me exactly where to put effect pacs? Like the ones for altering sonics spindash aura?

Earthnegi

Smash Rookie
Preview Model

One day, a while ago, the model previewer in brawlbox just stopped working on my laptop. I'm not sure what changed and until now I never really paid it any mind but it's somewhat annoying. I've got a windows 7 machine with .net framework 4 running on it. I've tried running in compatability mode, installing .net framework 3.5, different models and versions of brawlbox, and at one point even reformatted my laptop but nothing changed. The previewer loads but the frame in the middle just stays as whatever happened to be behind it at the time. Any suggestions?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I like how no one ever answers questions in the Q&A, but mods infract you if you ask a question in a place it might get noticed.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I like how no one ever answers questions in the Q&A, but mods infract you if you ask a question in a place it might get noticed.
This.

I still REALLY want to figure out what the heck is wrong w/ my BrawlBox so I can mod my Brawl songs. >_>

Top Bottom