• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl will have backwards progression (which is a bad thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The mods are pretty hilarious. They filtered out so many words.
T.ime=Time
S.tock=stock
B.rawl=brawl
M.elee=melee

Nice job with S.onic. I love that song. Really screws things up when people try to quote me though.

Sonic

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Welcome to noobified smash Gimpy. :p The devs probably got 4 stocked repeatedly by good players in melee so they finally had p*ssy fit and destroyed the competitive scene.

Did you think they were honestly just giving you guys a test play at E for all? Nope, They wanted you to find Advanced techniques so they could remove them. But thats just my opinion.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That word filter was pissing me off for a second there
Nice joke
Let's talk about how great Ness and Lucas are in Brawl. O wait, they AREN'T IN IT! Ninten is the star of Mother 1, not Mother 2. Ninten's predecessor, however, is NOT in all 3 smash games. O, and Lucas is the brother of someone who was suppose to be in Brawl, but is in Melee! HAHAHA! TAKE THAT WORD FILTER! I win teh internetz! :laugh:

Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom. Sonic Boom. Melee. Brawl. O, and Pikachu.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
God I love this word filter, it makes threads like this bearable.

EDIT: Can we permawordfliter gay to manly dripping with extra man sauce and sucks with is delicious? And can we keep Marth as Yaoi?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Welcome to noobified smash Gimpy. :p The devs probably got 4 stocked repeatedly by good players in melee so they finally had p*ssy fit and destroyed the competitive scene.

Did you think they were honestly just giving you guys a test play at E for all? Nope, They wanted you to find Advanced techniques so they could remove them. But thats just my opinion.
Probably. I don't think there were combos at E4ALL, maybe Gimpy could clear that up for us...

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... that was a home run. My post was on such a higher level than you, that I don't even think you knew you were playing baseball.

The point in that post was to show that characters in melee looked like they were DOING something compared to current Brawl videos. It seems though, that you were so hell bent on going on a melee tantrum, which, by the way, was not pretty, that you missed the entire intention of everything. You know what was wrong with melee? You say it was unbalanced. Well ****, who was the best player in the world. You are a noob, so I bet you know only a handful of pros anyway, especially ken. Who did he play as? ****ING MARTH!!! OMG Fox is sooo broken! And what is this bull about him being the easiest to play with? He most certainly is not. The right is reserved to Shiek. Any new player can grab shiek, move in the direction of the enemy and hit the C-stick towards them to win. Wow, that fox with his timing, spacing, and such is just to easy to grasp.

But yeah, they totally got rid of THAT cheapness. Now we have chaingrabs off the stage with many characters, instant gimps with certain characters, and tons of wall infinites or near infinites. Yeah, this game is way better. Someone who plays Yoshi, DK, Sonic, amd other low characters completely stand a chance against all that bull.

So, Boo-hoo, attention *****.
im sorry but if i may...

you seem to think that anything you believe just completely overrules anything else other people believe. There are people who will disagree with you on the "Who is the Most BRoken?" subject until the end of time. But thats not the point here.

mostly you are coming off as a pretentious jerk.... im not saying that you are wrong about some points made here. But i think you should tone down the insults a bit. It makes you look very unintelligent and people might not take you seriously anymore when they see you getting that worked up where you have to write a 10 page essay JUST to disagree with someone as apposed to just saying it in a more sensible way.

Just speaking my mind...

:)

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't understand what was going on when I tried to catch up with this thread.

Oh well I'm sure I'll get it by tomorrow

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Goddammit Gimpy, is your newfound lust for attention really worth more of this insipid Melee vs. Brawl prattle? What happened to setting an example?

Gluttony

Smash Cadet
Brawl is still competitive. It's just a different game that most of the pro 64/melee players dislike. It's still competitive. Just in a different light. Not much they can do about it except try to make a petition and get companies like MLG to continue hosting Melee games.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is still competitive. It's just a different game that most of the pro 64/melee players dislike. It's still competitive. Just in a different light. Not much they can do about it except try to make a petition and get companies like MLG to continue hosting Melee games.
Now it is who can camp the best. I wonder who is going to be the Ken of camping?

Yes camping requires skill, but who really wants to be known as the best camper?

Gluttony

Smash Cadet
Now it is who can camp the best. I wonder who is going to be the Ken of camping?

Yes camping requires skill, but who really wants to be known as the best camper?
There's more to it than simply camping. I consider it more turtling than anything else which to some might mean the same thing. You can't win if both parties simply sit there doing nothing. The problem is that the game is a defensive one. I've went through this more in previous posts so I'm not going to do that but there is a time when both parties must approach. There's also ways to close the gap but it is a risky venture. Call it camping or not but there's still a lot of skill involved. There's also a lot of thinking that needs to be done as well.

You might find it boring but there's some people that actually enjoy Brawl's gameplay. Like myself but I also enjoy Melee's gameplay as well. You can be considered the best camper but if someone manages to force someone that's camping to move and can consistantly out think them then that would make them the best at approaching. Regardless I believe that there will be a competitive scene for Brawl unlike what most people on here think. You might find it boring but I don't. There's plenty to keep me interested and others as well.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
this is my first post, and i've never gone pro, but i played melee for hours a day the last few years and have just started playing this one, it seems like once you got a combo started in melee the other person was effed and was gonna die in the next 5 seconds, brawl seems to break that apart, its much easier to avoid being juggled into oblivion or spiked off the edge after the first trip out at 10% dmg, i've started to notice that grab combos are harder to avoid, maybe smash will be a control game?

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
There's more to it than simply camping. I consider it more turtling than anything else which to some might mean the same thing. You can't win if both parties simply sit there doing nothing. The problem is that the game is a defensive one. I've went through this more in previous posts so I'm not going to do that but there is a time when both parties must approach. There's also ways to close the gap but it is a risky venture. Call it camping or not but there's still a lot of skill involved. There's also a lot of thinking that needs to be done as well.

You might find it boring but there's some people that actually enjoy Brawl's gameplay. Like myself but I also enjoy Melee's gameplay as well. You can be considered the best camper but if someone manages to force someone that's camping to move and can consistantly out think them then that would make them the best at approaching. Regardless I believe that there will be a competitive scene for Brawl unlike what most people on here think. You might find it boring but I don't. There's plenty to keep me interested and others as well.
If you enjoy a game with a low tech ceiling, a lot of prediction and turtling as the main strategy then I'm not going to stop ya. I don't find a game where you have to force the other player to approach in order to be in an advantageous position entertaining.

I'm not going to say there no skill in it, but those types of games never seem to create a prosperous competitive scene.

Gluttony

Smash Cadet
If you enjoy a game with a low tech ceiling, a lot of prediction and turtling as the main strategy then I'm not going to stop ya. I don't find a game where you have to force the other player to approach in order to be in an advantageous position entertaining.

I'm not going to say there no skill in it, but those types of games never seem to create a prosperous competitive scene.
I think it will prosper for the simple fact that it's Smash. Plus the game has been out for a very short time. I'm not claiming that techs might be discovered that'll automaticly make it similar to a traditional fighter but people might find new safe ways to approach. There's a chance that they won't but it's still a possibility. Plus I do enjoy how it is now but if I even get slightly bored I can pop melee in at anytime as well. It's not like Melee has ceased to exist. The competitive scene might even though I don't think that it should but I can still enjoy the game. I enjoy Brawl greatly for what it is. I respect everyone's opinion and I hope that Melee tournaments still go on for you guys. :)

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Dum dum de dum.

(Since it seems no matter what people say, people are sure they have Brawl all figured out--maybe you might listen to Azen?)

I like how everyone in the Top 10 except me and Chillin hate Brawl. They all got so depressed when they went to brawl tournies hoping to win money easily then getting ***** instead. The only reason they want to go back to Melee is so they can win cash again. I wonder why they got ***** in Brawl, maybe its cause Brawl is way more competitive than Melee was. They were too cocky to realize that their Top positions might be in danger, and now they make excuses saying Brawl is too easy and anyone can win. No Jones losers. Maybe they should actually start practicing instead of wishing their Melee skill carried over to Brawl. Brawl is already super competitive, it won't be easy for anyone to get to the Top, so many people are trying to get good now; you can't be cocky just cause you were pro in Melee. Its a new game, not Melee 2.0. Eventually most of the anti-brawlers will die off like with the 64 crowd. lol, just look at how depressed Isai was when he couldn't win everything anymore in Melee like in 64, and he just eventually gave up and stopped trying. Yall losers can stay in the past with Melee and 64, but right now is the time of Brawl and a new generation of smashers will take your place.

-Azen

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Azen has to be right, he is soo 1337!

Just because he says melee 2.0 doesn't make it any more of a valid argument.
There are some arguments for his claims and his observations of other pro gamers are likely true.

However, the Brawl critics are far from being pissed off because they can't win any more and can't adapt.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I mean, Azen has to be right, he is soo 1337!

Just because he says melee 2.0 doesn't make it any more of a valid argument.
There are some arguments for his claims and his observations of other pro gamers are likely true.

However, the Brawl critics are far from being pissed off because they can't win any more and can't adapt.
We don't know that for sure. For all we know, the Melee players could be johnning the entire time, just like there is also the chance that they could be right. The fact of the matter is, no one would ever have the balls to just admit that they hate Brawl 'cause they lose at it (if indeed that is the case), and because of this (and the very nature of human decency itself), we have to take that possibility into consideration.

Hell, I used to john a lot in Melee. Then, I got used to it and sucked it up; now, I play Melee better than I ever have before.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
We don't know that for sure. For all we know, the Melee players could be johnning the entire time, just like there is also the chance that they could be right. The fact of the matter is, no one would ever have the balls to just admit that they hate Brawl 'cause they lose at it (if indeed that is the case), and because of this (and the very nature of human decency itself), we have to take that possibility into consideration.

Hell, I used to john a lot in Melee. Then, I got used to it and sucked it up; now, I play Melee better than I ever have before.
good point, but outside of math there really isn't much absolute truth.

Also, I will kill anyone that tries to go into the argument of absolute truth. I don't mean I will kill you in the debate, but I will find your address and kill you! Or well not really... or maybe, just keep it in mind. I guess the point is, this is not a philosophy class.

edit:
SAME GOES FOR IMAGINARY NUMBERS

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Also, I will kill anyone that tries to go into the argument of absolute truth. I don't mean I will kill you in the debate, but I will find your address and kill you! Or well not really... or maybe, just keep it in mind. I guess the point is, this is not a philosophy class.

edit:
SAME GOES FOR IMAGINARY NUMBERS
Ooh! Louis, before you out to kill anybody, let me know! I have a broadsword I've been meaning to test out. *devilish grin*

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Heh. I love that Azen statement. I can't say whether he's right about Brawl's competitiveness (I know a lot of people will argue against him about that), but Melee players staying in an environment where they can make money sounds very believable.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Heh. I love that Azen statement. I can't say whether he's right about Brawl's competitiveness (I know a lot of people will argue against him about that), but Melee players staying in an environment where they can make money sounds very believable.
It doesn't to me, since many of the people staying with Melee aren't the ones making big money, and they probably have better chances in Brawl because that game is so new.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
It doesn't to me, since many of the people staying with Melee aren't the ones making big money, and they probably have better chances in Brawl because that game is so new.
Not if they're really always losing. I know that some of the big Brawl tournaments so far have had the same top 4 spots (can't name off the top of my head, but they've been cited here before), but if newer players are really giving Melee vets such a run for their money, I can see Azen's statement holding water. The thing is, I'm sure many Melee players are simply going to the Brawl tournaments for now because they are new. Why wouldn't they? If Azen's statement is true, once they lose enough times to numerically 'justify' their actions, they'll run back to Melee, citing 'depth' and 'skill' all the way.

(Hypothetically speaking, of course)

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I like the Azen statement.You can't really expect to be good at a new game just because you were good at the prequel.On the topic Gimpy started,I believe the progression won't be as rapid as Melee.I think that it'll be like the N64 opposed to Melee.It'll eventualy die off.I just think that the people who are Anti-Brawl just aren't used to playing without the advanced techs of Melee

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like the Azen statement.You can't really expect to be good at a new game just because you were good at the prequel.On the topic Gimpy started,I believe the progression won't be as rapid as Melee.I think that it'll be like the N64 opposed to Melee.It'll eventualy die off.I just think that the people who are Anti-Brawl just aren't used to playing without the advanced techs of Melee
I don't understand this statement at all. The people at my school play guilty Gear a lot. They got Accent Core (or w/e) a while back. The same person who was winning before was winning still, right off the bat. Then, on top of that, he is still winning now. Same goes for the people playing Halo 2 and then playing Halo 3. All sequels play similarly. People who play the prequel generally know that they are going to at least somewhat understand the next game. Brawl... not so much. the community is flipped upside down because new people with no talent can beat people with amazing skill, even if it was from another game.

So is Brawl sooo good BECAUSE it deviated so far from the path of it's predecessors?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Well after playing the game myself, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of combos after some consideration.

For starters, can you imagine what would happen if the game had even just a bit more hitstun? 50+% Ganondorf thunder drop combos! Lucario would be able to chain throw and then combo people from 0% to 100% easy as pie. Game and Watch would be even more of a monster. Pit and Metaknight would just be a total nightmare and heavy, slow characters like Ike and Bowser would be obsolete once more like they were in Melee. And don't even get me started on what Lucas could do if it wasn't possible to air dodge out of his attack strings. Oh yeah, and Sheik/Fox would still be top tier.

While it's true that we will ultimately end up with less combos in Brawl, it's also true that the lack of combos makes the characters who DO have true combos all the more special. And they do exist.

In the mean time, while everybody misses the combos that were available in Melee, I think I'd rather be able to use heavy characters competitively, which is something that wouldn't be possible if Brawl didn't have it's low hitstun.

I realise that everybody dislikes the idea of the game coming down to mindgames and camping, but I honestly don't see that as a problem. Brawl matches in general are more exciting to watch than Melee matches, in which you see a good Fox player land a SHffLed Nair against the other character and you know it's going to be all over within a few seconds.

A good Brawl battle on the other hand...you can actually see the thoughts and strategies behind the characters. When Dedede takes a chance and does his Fsmash facing the other direction and the opponent predicts wrong and rolls behind him before getting owned by it. Now that's awesome.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Brawl matches in general are more exciting to watch than Melee matches, in which you see a good Fox player land a SHffLed Nair against the other character and you know it's going to be all over within a few seconds.

A good Brawl battle on the other hand...you can actually see the thoughts and strategies behind the characters. When Dedede takes a chance and does his Fsmash facing the other direction and the opponent predicts wrong and rolls behind him before getting owned by it. Now that's awesome.
It's questionable statements that require my subjective, negative to an extent, replies.

WHAT IN THE SWEET NAME OF PRECIOUS BABY BACK RIBS JESUS SON OF THE GREAT BEARDED GUY IN THE SKY CHRIST ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?

How can you say that. I want to know how you were able to type those words without being struck by lightning, laughing yourself to death, or being held at gun point. A fox SHFFL'ing niars wasn't the major decider in a match. Anyone can spam a move, as evident by the major play style of BRAWL. Fox players had to understand the speed, spacing, and timing of their moves in order to effectively pull off chain hits. Same goes for ANY other Melee character. It wasn't about finding that one move and doing it over and over until they missed.

Then you find the oddassity to claim that Brawl matches are more exciting. What? WHAT?! Then you claim that, and I quote, "you can actually see the thoughts and strategies behind the characters." Because, as we all know, such things just weren't found in Melee videos. No, they just slammed control sticks and buttons and said, "LOL, Wavedash, I WIN!!!!1!11" No, there was a lot of strategie. You had to know what was best for each character. Each matchup was different. Each player played their character different. Knowing how to adapt and get feel to each fight was a necessity. In comparison, if you have a strong camping strategy, it's probably going to fit into the sceme of every fight you play. No changes.

If you think that someone smashing in the opposite direction and hoping the other person is going to roll into is awesome, then I guess I don't have much to say to that. Random occurences in your favor are cool, but what if that person didn't roll? That move takes 3 seconds to come out! The other person could walk up, charge a smash, and hit them. That's not awesome, that's dumb.

gb2 chess for strategy. Not Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom