• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Triple Winter Tournament

zmx

Smash Lord
I actually think it's not a bad idea to discuss this here.

If this was the reason for online tourneys dying down then it certainly makes sense to first acknowledge the problems and then make sure they don't impede future tourneys.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I don't think the problems would happen outside an established group, and they would only happen in a live tourney. The main problem for most OTL tournies isn't salt, it's people not doing their matches.

zmx

Smash Lord
That's another thing I mentioned earlier. Everyone that enters should make a serious promise to commit to the tourny. If said person causes the tourny to majorly delay than that person should not only be disqualified but be punished by not being allowed to enter the next few tourneys.

This would ensure that tourneys run smoothly and become popular again.

zmx

Smash Lord
1. How on earth did you lose to his Lucario?
2. Why on earth did he switch to pika after securing a game with lucario?

i r so confuse

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman

i r so confuse
It was a really close game zmx, I was off stage he went for a fair I saw him going for the recovery and I got to the ledge first so yeah... That's how I won, also I signe up with three characters so I used all three Idc if I won with lucario I didn't wanna win the third match like that...
Did better than you thought huh? ;D

:phone:

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904

i r so confuse
Did you have high expectations for me? Or are you doubting alberto? He's progressing fast and he won with lucario by strategy and well timed attacks

zmx

Smash Lord
Did you have high expectations for me? Or are you doubting alberto? He's progressing fast and he won with lucario by strategy and well timed attacks

Obv. I know Alberto's progressing fast. I'm the one who helped train his Lucario the most.

All the same if my Ike can beat his Lucario (not to mention nearly all of my secondaries/tertiary) and your Ike happens to be >>>>>>>than my Ike, then clearly something's up here if you lost. I guess you aren't used to how he plays then if you legitimately weren't sandbagging.

Either way, that still doesn't explain why he switched after winning. He practically threw away the set victory then. Because I was playing and beating his Pika with my Ike like two days ago so I have no idea what his thought process was. I specifically told him he wouldn't win with Pika and that Luca was his best option lol.

zmx

Smash Lord
It was a really close game zmx, I was off stage he went for a fair I saw him going for the recovery and I got to the ledge first so yeah... That's how I won, also I signe up with three characters so I used all three Idc if I won with lucario I didn't wanna win the third match like that...
Did better than you thought huh? ;D

Still don't get why you switched to Pika after winning, especially when I advised you not to and to stick with your main.

Assuming he wasn't sandbagging (which I'm still not entirely convinced about), you could have very likely taken the set then if you just used nothing but Lucario. It doesn't matter what you sign up as, it doesn't mean you have to use all 3.......

Especially when you knew your sonic/pika is nowhere near as good.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I don't sandbag. He won fairly. But it shouldn't be such a surprise. He won by a hair (no john) as he stated it was just a simple match ask about the details if you'd like. I personally hoped to play his lucario again to help him through his nervous tendencies.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
Still don't get why you switched to Pika after winning, especially when I advised you not to and to stick with your main.

Assuming he wasn't sandbagging (which I'm still not entirely convinced about), you could have very likely taken the set then if you just used nothing but Lucario. It doesn't matter what you sign up as, it doesn't mean you have to use all 3.......

Especially when you knew your sonic/pika is nowhere near as good.
Come on zmx I was playing not to win but to have fun and hopefully win .-. Besides it's his first time facing my lucario and playing you, you know what to expect from lucario, and either I do try but not determined to win, in this case I was, and believe me I've played him before he didn't sand bag (I hope)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
zmx, can it not just be preference? He apparently enjoyed the set thoroughly, and having fun is quite feasibly the most important aspect of playing, next to sportsmanship. He also has a chance to redeem himself if he is dissatisfied with his loss of the set; the tourney is double elimination.:applejack:

zmx

Smash Lord
Come on zmx I was playing not to win but to have fun and hopefully win .-. Besides it's his first time facing my lucario and playing you, you know what to expect from lucario, and either I do try but not determined to win, in this case I was, and believe me I've played him before he didn't sand bag (I hope)

So you weren't playing to win but you were playing to win?

You do try but are not determined to win?

make sense plz

zmx

Smash Lord
zmx, can it not just be preference? He apparently enjoyed the set thoroughly, and having fun is quite feasibly the most important aspect of the playing, next to sportsmanship. He also has a chance to redeem himself if he is dissatisfied with his loss of the set; the tourney is double elimination.:applejack:
I'm just not following the logic and you've played him as much as I have you'd understand my confusion.

His Lucario>>>>>>than anything else he has.

So game 1: He uses a far worse secondary and loses.
Game 2: Goes lucario, very close game and clutches it out.
Game 3: Decides to revert back to a far worse secondary.

I agree that having fun is the most important thing. What I don't agree with is that you can't have fun, you know, using your best character. If he beat me with Lucario and decided to use troll characters the next two games, I'd be fairly annoyed because I knew I wouldn't have earned the win. I don't know about DTKL.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Playing to improve > playing to win. I believe is what alberto is trying to say. Winning can't be your only motive, Z.

zmx

Smash Lord
Winning is never my motive. I've said this many times, I prefer to play with people that are much better than me because I feel I learn the fastest that way.

But this is a tourny, it's supposed to TEST how much you've learned, it's not a wise time to be taking huge risks with crazy experimenting.

Otherwise the whole point of Tourneys is useless as Friendlies already accomplish the above.

So you're saying DTKL, if I faced you in tourny, won convincingly game 1 with snake/falco and then game's 2 and 3 I decided to go exclusively Ganondorf, you'd feel you've earned the set win?

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
So you weren't playing to win but you were playing to win?

You do try but are not determined to win?

make sense plz
I was playing to have fun and win with having fun being my first priority, and sorry you misunderstood I always try but this time I was determined to win because it's my lucario, my main, my favorite character I can't lose that just wouldn't work for me, I wanted play sonic first to get an idea of his gameplay and I did lucario my main so I can tie it up and I did, I was thinking of going lucario again but I was like hey I don't care if I lose it's my first tournament there will be more so I took a chance and went pikachu and I wasn't doing bad I took his first stock before he took mine but killed me right away and took my second and I sd my third and yeah...

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I don't take online tourneys seriously it's pretty much just organized friendlies if the tourney has no prize so your argument is invalid. Lol

In fact i hardly take brawls wifi seriously.

zmx

Smash Lord
My good sir, I didn't ask if you took them seriously. I explained their purpose as a tool for you to get better (which you agreed with).

Plus there being no prize doesn't make it invalid at all. Are you aware in Japan no prize money is offered in tournys? Yet players still try their best for the fun of it and when analyzing the best Japan players no one says "well they don't offer prize money so let's not consider who places well in them".

And please don't John about not taking it seriously when you already stated you don't sandbag for these are contradictory statements.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Having fun with my main online is a rarity, honestly, hence why I seldom rely on Ike when I play, and my discrepant character choice and comprehension. It can be more tedious than you think going one character throughout a whole tourney, zmx, regardless of whether or not you've won with a single character more than the rest. It's inexplicably arduous for me to play constant Ike for many matches, and try to keep my head up while playing. It's tiring and the play feels too monotonous for me.:applejack:

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
I answered your question, z. I wouldn't take it seriously thus i wouldn't mind what you do or who you choose. I'm careless about how japan operates i'm not into the offline smash scene i just play brawl cause i enjoy it. I don't sandbag as a of carelessness i play in whatever way or form.

I don't want to come off as a person that disregards the skills of others i play just to either improve myself or others i can't get better and better just from wifi it only gets you so far. So i don't take it seriously. Sandbagging isn't fun at all either it's like being sarcastic.

I can enjoy playing as my main because i never get bored of playing as ike he's fun to play as imo and i don't get tired of it

We're kinda spamming this tourney thread with personal opinions and difference statements. Shouldn't we take this to somewhere else just saiyan.

zmx

Smash Lord
Fair enough.

Still kind of baffled how my Ike can beat his Luca when yours is far superior. I didn't think knowing how a particular person plays and their habits mattered that much but I guess I was wrong.

Oh and DTK it's not like you don't have secondaries. Your Diddy and Samus are pretty decent. In fact I think you have done better against his Lucario with them. He hates diddy lol.

ATT: Zatch

You don't need Ike to do well. You can use pretty much anyone at at least mid level (though it's often high level). It's to the point where you can just pick your foes worst MU and go from there. I actually think your Wario might be better than your Ike.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
My ike was at it's worst today i've been having a terrible day so my impatient attitude affected my gameplay you've seen how reckless i am when i'm like that, z. I rest there i don't want to litter irrelevant nonsense here.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This came to be due to my persistent experimentation and practice, in and out of tourney. Tourneys help to see how you fair against others under precarious circumstances, but that should not irrationalize the thought of variance.

My Wario? Maybe online, but absolutely not when it comes to offline.:applejack:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Any luck with the remaining matches, guys?:applejack:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'll give people until Wednesday, but that's the only leniency I'll give. After that, I'll issue DQs accordingly. You can substitute, PJGLZ, I'll PM you on Wednesday if we have any byes that are available to be occupied.:applejack:

PJGLZ

Smash Journeyman
I'll give people until Wednesday, but that's the only leniency I'll give. After that, I'll issue DQs accordingly. You can substitute, PJGLZ, I'll PM you on Wednesday if we have any byes that are available to be occupied.:applejack:
Alrighty. Thanks!

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hectic update completed.:applejack:

Knubs shall replace Cezz, PJGLZ shall replace timjn. By means of coin-flip, I determined who would advance in winners, between you two. This is procedure to ensure that each bracket side has minimal byes, for optimal circumstances.

Participants who advanced due to inactivity/lack of reply from their opponents: global-wolf and Yazz.

Contemporary bracket(s):
Winner's Bracket

Loser's Bracket:

Deadline for the current round is Wednesday, January 18th. Good luck, everyone!:applejack:

Now, I can eat.

Aibou

Smash Master
Oh lawd Sheik vs Pikachu Dx. I'll hopefully play global today if she signs on.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
Keep your hope ruin. If we have any no-shows and you're still around you may become part of the roster.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Aw, was just about to register. :/
MFZSonic500 appears to be inactive within the range of approaching two weeks. If you'd like to take his place in loser's, I'd be ecstatic to add you. Would love as few byes in the tourney as possible, so if you'd like, feel free to sign up.:applejack:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Sure, I'll hope for the best. :p

Ruinn/Derek/1935-9362-4057/:Donkey Kong:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13919696&postcount=114
Added you. Refer to this post for current brackets and such. Good luck!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13811890&postcount=1
Refer to this for rules and the likes.

how do you code the character? :x
http://www.smashboards.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001
Here's a list of them all. It isn't mandatory for them to be included in your sign-up, but there's the link for future reference, whenever you may feel the desire to use them.:applejack:

Top Bottom