• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl: A True Spectator Sport

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
I really liked this update.
When my siblings' hands got too sweaty from losing to me, every once in a while we got a bag of popcorn and pit 4 Lv. 9's against eachother and we each bet on one of them to win.

Now when this happens we can watch 4 actual Smash players battle it out and either:

a. Catch interesting stage and player strategies,
OR (and much more likely):
b. See how hilariously bad people are at battling.

It won't be the most used feature, but I'm not going to ignore it, for sure.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just had a thought: Would be great to see people play on custom stages with this thing.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I dont see why people are complaining.
you get to bet on a match that will be way more entertaining than a cpu match, no matter how good or bad the players are. the fact that you dont know anyting about the players is what makes the betting so fun, you dont know if you will be right or wrong.(which is kinda the point).also its not like youre going to play this game 150% of the time you have it, soI think this would be good for those of us who like to take a break every once in a while.

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
I dont see why people are complaining.
you get to bet on a match that will be way more entertaining than a cpu match, no matter how good or bad the players are. the fact that you dont know anyting about the players is what makes the betting so fun, you dont know if you will be right or wrong.(which is kinda the point).also its not like youre going to play this game 150% of the time you have it, soI think this would be good for those of us who like to take a break every once in a while.
yeah i agree.......
but will you find players every time you use this mode

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I think this is an interesting new feature...

And wtf@people complaining...It's not like you don't get to play the game at all and you're ONLY watching other people...

lukintosh

Smash Ace
I guess the reason why people are complaining is because they were assuming that Sakurai would throw something BIG at them because of the previously lacklustre updates and the whole Miyamoto birthday thing, so when they actually got a decent update they were like WTF-ing.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
First of all I think the reason names are taking down is because if you heard a particular name on the internet ALWAYS wins, and you bet on him, everyone wins.

Now theres a spectator mode, I wonder what this means for random matches with anyone? only 3 minute time limits?

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
don't you think this is kind of nice from sakurai
people who doesn't have brawl can play it online for free YAY
is it really that hard to understand?

you still have to own brawl. this is a feature in the game super smash bros brawl.

you go online and can choose to either fight other people, or watch some random person's match. and if you feel like it, you can place bets using your smash coins on who the winner will be.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I remember when I made a thread about this last year, I'm surprised it's actually in Brawl.

Great way to end of a seemingly crappy week.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
don't you think this is kind of nice from sakurai
people who doesn't have brawl can play it online for free YAY
...? Um... You have to own Smash Bros. Brawl.

Step 1: Own Brawl
Step 2: Go Online
STep 3: Download pre-recorded match
Step 4: Make your bet
Step 5: Watch match
Step 6: If your bet is correct you win coins (whatever they are for).
-------If your bet is wrong you get stickers.

Dr.Z

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I have an idea. Lets watch competitive videos on YOUTUBE! Even though this seems interesting, and I will probably use it from time to time, I am not too sure about how they are going to work several things to fix this up right. Random matches? Betting without tags? Noobs taunting every second while getting their ***** handled. Yes a little hilarity would be nice but we should have a system where we can at least choose the matches we want to watch. Maybe they could fix this problem, who knows. Still it isn't entirely bad....you get stickers :p

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
yeah i agree.......
but will you find players every time you use this mode
*I really need to start using multiquote*

You are downloading a pre-recorded match

Wheter or not there will be one ready per day or not we don't know.

I'm guessing everyone at certain will make a bet, then waits a bit and then when they find a another beter(s) they will find how much the winnings wil be.

Question is, what if EVERYONE gussed wrong.

Revven

FrankerZ
No it isn't. You're betting on people you don't know and nor do you know how they play. That is the point of betting, is it not? To determine who will win based off what's given to you. If you already know who is going to win just by their name, what's the fun in it? That's just being boring and totally unfun. It's like this: "LULZ! IMMA GONNA BETS ONZ ISAI BCUZ HE IZ GEWD!!!!!!111!!111!!" And, he is going to win if it's against a bunch of n00bs. So, yay, free coins right? Yeah, totally fun, you don't get much laughing out of it because you know Isai would win and as a result aren't shouting or having as much fun as you would if you didn't know their names.

Unless by names you meant notoreity... but really, when has that ever mattered in an online game?... People steal names to become "famous" because the people they think they're up against is the real deal.

Anyway, I liked this update and might use this mode late at night if I'm too tired to play anyone.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Interesting mode but I'm not gonna use it until I unlock everything.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite pleased with this update, it's definitely the most interesting one we've had this week.

It's a shame that Nintendo seem to be obsessed with not getting sued though, it's like they refuse to let people take responsibility for their own online play (or their children's online play). I don't see how seeing the nickname of a player displayed in an online match is going to enable someone watching to go and attack them. Unless of course the nickname contains the player's address. But anyone putting their address in their nickname is asking for it, and stupid.

Also, I agree that people whining constantly about the quality of the recent updates is annoying, but that doesn't change the fact that they have been quite boring. I am appreciative that we're actually getting them, so I don't think we have much of a right to go out of our way to complain about them or expect Sakurai to 'do better' - it is a free service, and it's not even offered with the vast majority of games. That doesn't mean we have to like every single update though.

No it isn't. You're betting on people you don't know and nor do you know how they play. That is the point of betting, is it not? To determine who will win based off what's given to you. If you already know who is going to win just by their name, what's the fun in it? That's just being boring and totally unfun. It's like this: "LULZ! IMMA GONNA BETS ONZ ISAI BCUZ HE IZ GEWD!!!!!!111!!111!!" And, he is going to win if it's against a bunch of n00bs. So, yay, free coins right? Yeah, totally fun, you don't get much laughing out of it because you know Isai would win and as a result aren't shouting or having as much fun as you would if you didn't know their names.

Unless by names you meant notoreity... but really, when has that ever mattered in an online game?... People steal names to become "famous" because the people they think they're up against is the real deal.

Anyway, I liked this update and might use this mode late at night if I'm too tired to play anyone.
That's true to a point, but if no information is given other than stage and character, then betting for the most part is just guessing. But then if it only uses randomly generated matches it would mostly be guessing anyway. The only way I can see there being any actual strategy to deciding who to bet on is if you can watch matches between people on your friends list.

lukintosh

Smash Ace
Does anyone else think the mystery behind the coins really needs to be solved? I mean the coins obtained in Classic mode look completely different from the ones we saw in today's update? Or... is that just me?

Sesshomaru1

Smash Rookie
the coins look the same other than they're a little brighter (still the same symbol on them) and they're stacked up instead of just being sloppily placed

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Hey guys, I have an idea. Lets watch competitive videos on YOUTUBE! Even though this seems interesting, and I will probably use it from time to time, I am not too sure about how they are going to work several things to fix this up right. Random matches? Betting without tags? Noobs taunting every second while getting their ***** handled. Yes a little hilarity would be nice but we should have a system where we can at least choose the matches we want to watch. Maybe they could fix this problem, who knows. Still it isn't entirely bad....you get stickers :p
Youtube matches are basically redundant. It's usually just Falco, Fox, Marth, and Sheik and that's it. And I'h getting tired of watching duels on Youtube anyway. Throw in some free-for-all- casual madness plz.

As for betting without tags. It wouldn't be betting if you knew the best players and you alwways betted on them. It'll be too predictable unless there's ratio winning formula. (I.E. if the worst player wins, the ones who better on him will get a high coin count than if they betted on the best player and he won)

PopFusion

Smash Apprentice
This is a really cool update, but I'm not amazed big time, I wanted something bigger :).

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Well...custom taunting could easily reveal who each competitor is. Why say something mildly derogatory when you could simply say, "I'm [name]!" ;)

Top Bottom