• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Bowser's Moveset Data & Discussion

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Post the numbers if you got em.

I'll draw you a cute girl if you do.
Stand up: Intangible: 1-34, first actionable frame: 36
Roll: Intan: 1-26, FAF 50
Jump: Intan: 1-12, FAF 13
Attack: Intan: 1-19, Attack on: 20, FAF: 56

MrEh

Smash Hero
2 frames of vulnerability seems ok. Can't complain.

Promise is a promise though.

brb drawing girl

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Stand up: Intangible: 1-34, first actionable frame: 36
Roll: Intan: 1-26, FAF 50
Jump: Intan: 1-12, FAF 13
Attack: Intan: 1-19, Attack on: 20, FAF: 56
How are these numbers in comparison to other more common characters?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
How are these numbers in comparison to other more common characters?
Nothing special really. From my research, most characters (All?) only have 1 frame of vulnerability from ledge get up. Some characters just take a long time to get up from the ledge. Mii Brawler is the biggest example (I think his is 1-44, FAF 46).

I haven't really looked much into it. I will eventually though.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
I was messing around in training mode and noticed you could SH air dodge and nullify landing lag with a special (the special is used as if it were on the ground, no air dodge landing lag.) IDK how many people know about it, so I just thought it'd be nice to spotlight. Someone said something about air dodging from the ledge and cancelling lag with a special like that, so that must be where I got the idea.

I figure this might be useful for baits and approaching occasionally, since you can do grounded fortress with it or flying slam if they're abusing shield.

EDIT: Ah, here it is.
Also, Air-dodge cancel specials from the ledge might be worth trying if you haven't already, they work pretty well, and you can even do b-reverse down b to jump back onto the ledge to refresh your ledge I-frames if you want. I think a good use for them would be against players that like to punish you early for ledge hopping with a grab or dash attack, since you could probably fortress punish most of those in time, and even move to the center stage to make them launch offstage.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Dumb question. Does dsmash have a suction effect at close proximity?
No, but if they are hit by any of the side hitboxes, they are sucked into the rest of the attack, guaranteed.

@ Hitman JT Hitman JT Yes. Additionally, power shield window lasts until frame 3.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Okay, so just to make sure I'm following this correctly, you're saying we can SHADC Down-B from ledge, onto ledge? If so, I'm not sure how safe it is considering the start-up on down-B takes some time, but holy wow, that sounds hilarious.
It probably isn't super safe, but it's an option, maybe not the type of option you'll get tons of mileage off of, but maybe something to keep in the pocket. This will probably see more use with fortress and side-b, but down b might still be thrown in since it's not terribly slow, and if you manage to airdodge through something punishable on the way up, it could net you the K.O

Also, it is very hilarious.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
@ J Jerodak i'm having trouble actually doing shadc from the ledge correctly. What exactly are the inputs?

ledge jump -> air dodge -> b move ?

For some reason I don't get the cancel there

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
@ Big Sean Big Sean I was using it a bit and I managed to get it with those inputs, not consistently tho. The inputs have to either be very fast, very precise, or (most likely) both. Maybe @ J Jerodak has a little tip to get it to work consistently. Otherwise, if I don't practice this I'll be suffering 22 frames for it lol.

On a side note, every time I've thought I found something revolutionary in the game it always turns out it was already discovered lol.
Alluding to the SHAD special cancels and when I first discovered waveslashing on my own, then my friend told me everyone already knew. Won't stop me from labbing tho.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
@ J Jerodak i'm having trouble actually doing shadc from the ledge correctly. What exactly are the inputs?

ledge jump -> air dodge -> b move ?

For some reason I don't get the cancel there
Here are the inputs that I use assuming i'm hanging from the left ledge.

Tap <-, Jump + ->, Airdoge. This should work on most stages, but on stages with lips, like battlefield you might get "caught" on the lip on the way up. If that's the case, you have to neutral jump then press forward to drift onto the stage once you're past the lip, you can't move instage as far, but it still works. You can also use down instead of back if you want, just be careful since you could end up dropping like a rock if you mess up the inputs.

@ trombonophone99 trombonophone99 Actually, yes, the inputs do need to be very fast and precise you have to make sure you're not inputting any of the buttons too early or too late there will probably be a lot of times when you accidentally ledge jump or just ledge drop airdodge, it takes getting used to, you basically have to treat it like doing a special move in a traditional fighting game. I recommend practicing on wall stages first to get used to it, then you can try harder stages like regular battlefield, I found it to be way easier on Omega battlefield for some reason.

I found it easier to basically break it down into different phases, first by practicing the ledge drop input without drifting back, then turning that into a neutral jump off the ledge and regrabbing the ledge, then I add the airdodge, now you should be able to do a neutral jump airdodge and regrab the ledge without having to use up-b, once you're doing that consistently you can try the airdodge into the stage. Eventually, you should be able to consistently get the special cancel. Good luck!

Edit: And for those of you that like useless data!

Not sure if this was found yet or not, but I found out that upsmash can combo into itself, and, if the Opponent D.I's wrong, you can follow up with a Fair, or potentially a Bair. If the opponent DI's away then you probably won't get aerial combo follow-up, but you still have a significant amount of frame advantage where you can at least position yourself before the opponent can do anything.

Now as far as percentages that this works at, I can't give an exact number, but I know it only works at very low percents, and you have to hit with the back sourspot of upsmash. The front hit knocks them away from you, and the sweet spot has too much knockback, the sourspot on the back will knock them into you, causing them to land into the second hit for 21% I should probably note that I only tested this in training mode.

Here's a list of characters this worked on:
Ganondorf
Fox
Falco
Shiek
Metaknight
Diddy
Zero Suit Samus
Greninja
Megaman
Mii Brawler

I tried mashing jump and holding shield, the combo is legit, if it hits.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Dumb question. Does dsmash have a suction effect at close proximity?
Dsmash's Multihits have three separate angles. Hitting a target to the right of you sends them left. Vice versa for a target to the left of you. And the third hitbox is located on the top portion of Bowser's shell, meteoring them into the other two hitboxes. Many multihit moves in this game are carefully programmed for enemies to not fall out until it is finished. Fortress is designed the same way, but without the meteor angle.

Sourspot bair could be great.
Bair has no sourspot.

Had a shower thought today about Bowser footstooling an airborne target and Dairing immediately for a spike. Sadly, it does not work on any characters in this game. At least, it doesn't work on Jiggs, who has the slowest falling speed. The initial spike hitbox doesn't last long enough for Bowser to reach them, even when frame perfect. I guess the only merit there is in this idea is maybe the opponent can't exit their footstooled tumble status fast enough to avoid the (sour) Dair followup or aerial Bomb.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Many multihit moves in this game are carefully programmed for enemies to not fall out until it is finished.

Smash 4 is a poorly coded mess, like all other smash games prior tbh.

I have the Bowser data on my site right now but it's hidden from the public until I work out a few things regarding specials/kb values. Maybe I should just share the link with people who ask for it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Bair has no sourspot.

Had a shower thought today about Bowser footstooling an airborne target and Dairing immediately for a spike. Sadly, it does not work on any characters in this game. At least, it doesn't work on Jiggs, who has the slowest falling speed. The initial spike hitbox doesn't last long enough for Bowser to reach them, even when frame perfect. I guess the only merit there is in this idea is maybe the opponent can't exit their footstooled tumble status fast enough to avoid the (sour) Dair followup or aerial Bomb.
I meant Upsmash actually. Bair was on the brain though.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles

Smash 4 is a poorly coded mess, like all other smash games prior tbh.

I have the Bowser data on my site right now but it's hidden from the public until I work out a few things regarding specials/kb values. Maybe I should just share the link with people who ask for it.
This is me, asking for it. :-D

I want hitbox data so bad.

trombonophone99

Smash Cadet
NNID
trombonophone99
I've lately been doing a lot of cute stuff with grounded grab releases. I think if they spam a spot dodge (or overmash and do a random move) after being released it's possible to get a free fsmash, and we love getting those. Of course someone who knows what they're doing won't let that happen. After being released the most logical thing to do would be to hold shield, since you can't get regrabbed (common knowledge). In that case, I've baited out reactions with a short dash into a delayed Bowser Bomb, and while it's a huge bargain, it also pays off immensely if you get it. After all, what's Smash without risks?

I was wondering what the frame data on grab releases is, if it's universally +0 for every character or something.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I've found you usually get a a grounded grab release if you pummel them to death. Best option is usually to go for a Jab trap since jab will connect whether they like it or not.

Fsmash won't work on decent players unless you condition them first.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I tested for grab release data in the past with Little Mac. I found that Mac would have -1 frame advantage, as characters with a frame 2 jab would clank with his frame 1 jab. This is of course when both characters are absolutely frame perfect in mashing. Human players are not typically expecting grab release in this game because guaranteed grab release combos are non existant compared to Brawl. Keep playing with it as a mixup, but don't expect it to work more than once in a match. An opponent's reactive shield can beat any attack you're planning.

As for whether -1 is consistent with all characters, I dunno. But I just performed the same test between Bowser's Frame 7 Jab, and Ganon's Frame 8 Jab. They clanked. I do notice there's a deviation in how far the opponent is pushed away from you upon release. Falcon, for instance, is too far away for Jab 1 to connect. And some characters like Wario aren't pushed far enough to be hit by the farthest hitbox angle of jab. I think grab release data is a worthy testing pursuit in the future.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Tough Guy works on Shakunetsu Hadoken (the red one). At like any percent. If a Ryu uses it just run at them like the Bowser you are.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Tough Guy works on Shakunetsu Hadoken (the red one). At like any percent. If a Ryu uses it just run at them like the Bowser you are.
Ryu?
More like
Free-yu

No, but can we tough guy any of this other moves? Jabs? Any of the other hadokens?

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Ryu?
More like
Free-yu

No, but can we tough guy any of this other moves? Jabs? Any of the other hadokens?
I think we can punch out his hadoken with Jab 1. Definitely Ftilt.

We need testing on him I think. Since he has light and strong attack variations.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I've lately been doing a lot of cute stuff with grounded grab releases. I think if they spam a spot dodge (or overmash and do a random move) after being released it's possible to get a free fsmash, and we love getting those. Of course someone who knows what they're doing won't let that happen. After being released the most logical thing to do would be to hold shield, since you can't get regrabbed (common knowledge). In that case, I've baited out reactions with a short dash into a delayed Bowser Bomb, and while it's a huge bargain, it also pays off immensely if you get it. After all, what's Smash without risks?

I was wondering what the frame data on grab releases is, if it's universally +0 for every character or something.
+0 if you don't pummel release them, but they release +1 if you pummel release them. Also, mind the grass, it can significantly affect the how your moves interact with each other because it makes them break out closer, which is fine in some cases but it can be an issue with a lot of characters.

@ Big Sean Big Sean See if you can make a GIF of airdodge from the ledge into idle stance. It seems to be fairly easy to do on stages without lips or on stages you can phase through, especially halberd. Try using down to ledge drop to make it a bit more managable. It's a bit harder to do, but I think it could be useful if applied well enough.

Also, I've recently been using the Wii Pro controller again, (I've been using a Wii U pro up until now.) and I noticed that the airdodge from the ledge was a bit harder on that controller, speed snapping the ledge felt a little more difficult too, probabably due to the fact that the Wii U pro has smaller gates that are completely circular. However, the hexagonal gates on the wii pro is a lot better for using tilts thanks to tactile feedback. Anyway, I was wondering, what do you guys think about each controller set-up in relation to how Bowser plays? I was thinking about having some information put together on how one's controller choice may affect thier Bowser play. Keep in mind, i'm not asking what the best controller is, really more about tips on what one might do with any one particular controller and maybe some suggested button layouts with pros and cons to each one. Since he likes compiling information, maybe @ Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn would like to be in charge of putting everything together. I'd do it myself but I don't have regular access at the moment so that wouldn't be very effective.

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The OP needs to be updated to reflect the new stages that Bowser dies first on versus goes to Sudden Death after the latest patch. Offhand Smashville is now a Sudden Death stage (but Omega SV Bowser dies first, which is the EXACT OPPOSITE AS THE PREVIOUS PATCH WTF). I feel like I've seen this posted recently, but I can't remember exactly. Has anyone tested?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
The OP needs to be updated to reflect the new stages that Bowser dies first on versus goes to Sudden Death after the latest patch. Offhand Smashville is now a Sudden Death stage (but Omega SV Bowser dies first, which is the EXACT OPPOSITE AS THE PREVIOUS PATCH WTF). I feel like I've seen this posted recently, but I can't remember exactly. Has anyone tested?
If someone can link me to or message me the new list then I could make the changes. Although, to be entirely honest, it may be better to give control of the thread over to someone at least for the time being. I have limited access at the moment(I'm actually only able to post this by using a phone) and since my internet issues have persisted for much longer than I thought they would, it may be better if I'm not in charge of any important threads for the time being.

Edit: Please choose another stickman for the job. (:

Last edited:
Top Bottom