• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
oh Cassius I understand you too well on this ... :( Im going to Smash Intensifies 2 this weekend, its a major in my city, Im aiming for a top 8.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Problem with using a top tier dweeb as a secondary is they aren't Bowser so I have little interest in having a secondary.

Charizard is generally my go to secondary but he also shares the same issues Bowser has.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Problem with using a top tier dweeb as a secondary is they aren't Bowser so I have little interest in having a secondary.

Charizard is generally my go to secondary but he also shares the same issues Bowser has.
I'm just not good with the top tiers. I use Duck Hunt instead when going bara doesn't cut it.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Boozer Boozer and I got ducked in bracket

Seeding was 10/10, boozer played someone he lost to in pools round 2 and got knocked out of the tournament

I almost had to play boozer but then it got changed to someone else I know really well and he beat me.

I came 25th and boozer came 17th.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Huh, I had never seen this hint before. It said something along the lines of:

"During Bowser's flying slam, the victim has a small amount of control while in the air. They'll have more control if they're lower in percentage (but still not much)."

They must have added this when they made the change to control on klaw and it sure sounds like they intend to keep it this way.

Now if only it was consistent on taking people off the edge with it... :\

K~G|Spacejam

Best data miner in Geelong. (Screw you KH)
Boozer Boozer and I got ducked in bracket

Seeding was 10/10, boozer played someone he lost to in pools round 2 and got knocked out of the tournament

I almost had to play boozer but then it got changed to someone else I know really well and he beat me.

I came 25th and boozer came 17th.

Side note, Bowser was one of the more popular characters in top 32 due to you two. I posted the top 32 characters on qldsmash.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's about to be that time of year, and you know what that means!

Anyone naughty gets a dropkick to the face. :4bowser:

-------

Ok, on a more serious note, are there any good setups for shield breaks? I feel I can do more than just the occasional Bowser Bomb.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Situational you probably knew this use for Fire Roar the Breath custom no one will use ever.

It can serve as a interrupt for those lamers charging those projectiles since you know it's huge and not small. That cooldown though. Mewtwo's, Samus's and Robin's everywhere will be mad. For weeks. Pls lower that cooldown.

May or may not find use as a super heal for Ness in doubles.

That's all I got for useless facts.

Gonna try experimenting with Dash Slash > Dtilt > Slipbomb and see if Shield Breaks happen.

Wish me Power Stars. I'm gonna need em.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Ok, on a more serious note, are there any good setups for shield breaks? I feel I can do more than just the occasional Bowser Bomb.
I think we've been looking but thus far, I don't think anyone has found anything reliable that can pop shields other than Bowser bomb, and that's only if the opponent is dumb enough to sit there and keep holding shield instead of rolling, spot dodging, or just DROPPING their damn shield and taking the hit from bomb which is way less likely to kill them than a fully charged dropkick of doom.

It's kinda sad that we'd probably have a VERY reliable shieldbreak situation (since the shield stun increase patch) if Bowser had kept his Dair from Brawl...

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Jab 1 to dtilt does a lot of shield damage. I got a shieldbreak with that since my opponent shield was around 60%. Also each time an opponent falls on a platform, they tend to roll/get up shield when Im going close to them. So I downB in the middle of the platform at the right timing to hit their shield as soon they pop it

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Jab 1 to dtilt does a lot of shield damage. I got a shieldbreak with that since my opponent shield was around 60%. Also each time an opponent falls on a platform, they tend to roll/get up shield when Im going close to them. So I downB in the middle of the platform at the right timing to hit their shield as soon they pop it
That's good to know. If we can find "shield stun combos", maybe we can make this work.

I guess the ugly truth of it is that the characters Bowser really wants to be able to pressure into their shields are characters that he can't maintain pressure on to do that, really.

Argh, if ONLY firebreath had less ending lag, we might be able to use the last bits of flame to keep people in shield stun long enough to run up and Dtilt for the shield break.

Can you drop shield between FB hits or no?

I guess the good news here is that, if they tweak Bowser enough that he can get a reliable shield break setup, he could become seriously viable...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Fire Breath cooldown after use is too long so we lose any momentum we would have had unless we were breathing on them offstage.

DS > Dt > SB is too slow for guaranteed shieldbreaks unfortunately. I tried guys. Sorry.

Now if they lowered recharge time on Roar I would actually consider it viable as a Zoner interrupt when they charge their projectiles.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Fire Breath cooldown after use is too long so we lose any momentum we would have had unless we were breathing on them offstage.
I figure if they shield it at about mid-range of the FB, and if FB had less ending lag, it MIGHT work at that point.

Like I said, though, can you drop shield while getting hit with FB? I'm guessing you can...

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
It's Le Troof :o

Teach me your ways! ;~;
1. Pivot grab everything

2. Punch 'em in da mouf

3. Get paid

I watch a lot of tourney vids and I'm fairly certain that you're one of the top 3 Bowsers in the world (if not THE top) and I base that not only off of your skill but the comparative skill of the players in your area.

There could be some Bowser player who dominates, say, Alaska or something, but if the competition there is "meh" then it's not very impressive.

If you are having to turn to a secondary, it's unquestionably the fault of the character...
One of the most well-known, sure. There's gonna be other killers out there that don't have the benefit of living near a popular scene. KingKong does hella damage every time I watch this guy, and...you know how I feel about Lord-whats-his-face but he's a savage and no one can take that away from him. Pretty sure Cassius would be up there too if he played more, heh.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I figure if they shield it at about mid-range of the FB, and if FB had less ending lag, it MIGHT work at that point.

Like I said, though, can you drop shield while getting hit with FB? I'm guessing you can...
FB pushes us apart and they can drop shield once they get to the no flinch portion of our breath. If we held our ground with no push we could very easily lock them into a forced shield break.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
One of the most well-known, sure. There's gonna be other killers out there that don't have the benefit of living near a popular scene. KingKong does hella damage every time I watch this guy, and...you know how I feel about Lord-whats-his-face but he's a savage and no one can take that away from him. Pretty sure Cassius would be up there too if he played more, heh.
There's like 4 other power-ranked Bowsers (3 if you don't count those who have Bowser as a secondary) in the entire country (according to this), and you play in an EXTREMELY competitive area as well.

Not to slight anyone else, but the rankings are what they are. They still play some mean Bowsers and are definitely fun to watch, no question. :)

And I've not seen Calm Animal play SSB4 in a while, sadly. :(

FB pushes us apart and they can drop shield once they get to the no flinch portion of our breath. If we held our ground with no push we could very easily lock them into a forced shield break.
Ugh, another reason for me to hate that mechanic...

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Meh...some people wanna throw labels around, I just wanna press buttons and meet people. It is what it is.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Meh...some people wanna throw labels around, I just wanna press buttons and meet people. It is what it is.
I don't mean to label anyone, just point out that the best Bowser players in the world have hit these walls with the character, meaning anyone who tries to point out how good Bowser is on paper isn't seeing the whole picture (and yes, I've run into people like that, mostly in other sections of smashboards).

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I can't be the best Bowser since I don't do tournies due to many reasons like a job and other stuff. I feel my time is better spent finding arbitrary mechanics Bowser players may or may not implement in their game plan.

And projectiles wreck me sideways.

And playing lots of FF XIV.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I can't be the best Bowser since I don't do tournies due to many reasons like a job and other stuff.
No one's blaming you or anyone else for not being the "best" Bowser. No worries, man. ;)

I just prefer to have sufficient evidence to back up claims when I tell people in other parts of smashboards that, yes, Bowser needs some buffs.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I just prefer to have sufficient evidence to back up claims when I tell people in other parts of smashboards that, yes, Bowser needs some buffs.
We have to Powershield or die against everyone with a Projectile so 70% of the cast? I think buffs are needed. Of course people that don't play Bowser have a hard time seeing why Bowser needs buffs. Especially when their kit works in it's entirety and Bowser's might work half the time.

But it is what it is. When I play Sheik or ZSS I can do moderately well with very little effort. But with other SHW's like Bowser if I win I feel I earned that victory. And I love that feeling.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
To be fair, powershield practice is pretty therapeutic.
Hey yeah, anybody got some efficient methods for practice? I always imagined setting the cpu to control in training mode, and using a toe to press B on another controller. That way I can practice walking powershield, running powershield, etc. Once I'm used to the speed of one projectile, switch to another.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Hey yeah, anybody got some efficient methods for practice? I always imagined setting the cpu to control in training mode, and using a toe to press B on another controller. That way I can practice walking powershield, running powershield, etc. Once I'm used to the speed of one projectile, switch to another.
Pretty much impossible to train against without another person. Certain CPU characters are very spammy, but there's not much to power shielding a Mario who just stands at medium range throwing fireball after fireball.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Lol that's exactly how I learned to power shield I nail my power shields probably >80% of the time in tournament now.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'd recommend doing more then powershield practice though. Seeing what jab and tilts cancel out alongside SH Bair is well worth the effort.

Definitely practice with Powershielding first. Just to get the speed of projectiles down.

Test it against all projectiles as well. Minus Needles. Those are dumb.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Boozer and I played doubles and came 9th, it was ok for a major I guess but I felt bad cuz I let him down

We played Bowser/ZSS but we couldn't quite break top 8 in teams..

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I think we've been looking but thus far, I don't think anyone has found anything reliable that can pop shields other than Bowser bomb, and that's only if the opponent is dumb enough to sit there and keep holding shield instead of rolling, spot dodging, or just DROPPING their damn shield and taking the hit from bomb which is way less likely to kill them than a fully charged dropkick of doom.

It's kinda sad that we'd probably have a VERY reliable shieldbreak situation (since the shield stun increase patch) if Bowser had kept his Dair from Brawl...
I don't know.

I've had times where through constant shield pressure, an uncharged fsmash effortlessly breaks the shield once it's low enough, though this is a rarity.

Top Bottom