• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Both Melee And Smash For Wii U Break 1500 Entrants For Evo 2015!

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think customs at eve will make things a lot more interesting and give characters more chances/options, such as :4ganondorf: with his wizards drop kick.

BuTTNutz

Smash Apprentice
Nobody has ever said that. They critique the game, not the players.
Well i didn't mean to phrase it like that, I just mean the over aggressive players who bash the game and say the game is too slow to be competitive,such as complaining about stuff that doesn't even matter anymore , but it got accepted for evo, something Brawl never did. I also think think that Sm4sh is a lot more beginner friendly than melee, cause as of right now there aren't many advanced techs beside perfect pivoting, b reversing, or jump cancel glide tossing. Sorry if i sound like a fanboy.

Last edited:

PK Illuminati

Banned via Warnings
Well i didn't mean to phrase it like that, I just mean the over aggressive players who bash the game and say the game is too slow to be competitive,such as complaining about stuff that doesn't even matter anymore , but it got accepted for evo, something Brawl never did. I also think think that Sm4sh is a lot more beginner friendly than melee, cause as of right now there aren't many advanced techs beside perfect pivoting, b reversing, or jump cancel glide tossing. Sorry if i sound like a fanboy.
Those techs are in every single iteration of Smash Bros.
People complain that it is competitive, but its so bent on being not competitive.
I am one of those people.
I think that it is a fantastic game to play with friends, but competitive, it's like making a rock become a sheep. It's trying to become something it's not. Melee wasn't supposed to be competitive, but it was, and with ease. Sm4sh was built directly to COUNTER that, (IE, 2 hit combos, complicated combos, no techs)

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Those techs are in every single iteration of Smash Bros.
People complain that it is competitive, but its so bent on being not competitive.
I am one of those people.
I think that it is a fantastic game to play with friends, but competitive, it's like making a rock become a sheep. It's trying to become something it's not. Melee wasn't supposed to be competitive, but it was, and with ease. Sm4sh was built directly to COUNTER that, (IE, 2 hit combos, complicated combos, no techs)
Why can't we all just use "competitive" for "people who have a drive to compete with and against others" instead of "fighting games with specific gameplay"?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Why can't we all just use "competitive" for "people who have a drive to compete with and against others" instead of "fighting games with specific gameplay"?
Because some people on these forums like to use the word "competitive" as a vehicle for promoting their subjective gameplay preferences as objective truth for what should and shouldn't be played in a competitive tournament setting. For just about any standard for competitiveness someone could come up with a number of counterexamples of established competitive games/sports/events which violate one or more of their criteria for competitiveness.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Because smash 4 is anti competitive.
Actually, that is not the case. Pretty much any game can be made competitive if there is a community for it and Smash 4 is no exception. The fallacious analogies you are pulling up doesn't really help your case either which is merely moved by personal preference.

Last edited:

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Because some people on these forums like to use the word "competitive" as a vehicle for promoting their subjective gameplay preferences as objective truth for what should and shouldn't be played in a competitive tournament setting. For just about any standard for competitiveness someone could come up with a number of counterexamples of established competitive games/sports/events which violate one or more of their criteria for competitiveness.
You mean like PK Illuminati up there? Figures.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait for SSB4 Grand Finals, when all of the Melee players start heckling and calling for the real game to start. >_>
I hope Smash 4 and Melee are spaced apart to where this won't happen. Or even better, play Melee first and then Smash 4 to avoid this kind of behavior.

Or how about everyone act mature and respect the grand finals of a game without screaming and disrespecting the players? I get that many Melee players think Smash 4 is not a deep game, does not deserve to be on a big stage, etc, but I have one simple question.

How would Melee players feel if Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom 3 fans hijacked their grand finals and started screaming for another game and heckled about when "the real fighting games will start"

All I will say is this, I really hope we don't have another repeat of this behavior from Apex. Every game that is being played at Evo deserves its chance to shine without having people hijack the grand finals with heckling or chants. Don't like watching a game? Go watch something else until the game you want to watch comes on.

I really, really hope that rather then Melee and Smash 4 players fighting with each other, both sides realize that something great has happened this year. For years, Smash has been the black sheep of fighting games, shunned and ignored as players of other fighting games dismissed it as a casual party series.

But now, we have two Smash games at the biggest fighting game tournament. Its not about Smash 4 riding Melee's coattails or the spotlight needing to be on the newest game in the series, its about a series finally breaking through the ceiling and showing the fighting game community that it belongs.

Melee and Smash 4 both broke 1500 entries each, only Street Fighter got more. I know people will avidly defend their smash game of choice, but both games deserve their spot at Evo. Melee has proven to be a game with a strong community 15 years after it first came out,. while Smash 4 has overcome the odds, and gained a large player base.

I'm glad both games have some many entries, and I really hope the infighting in the Smash community will die down a bit so both games can have their chance at the spotlight.

Zurf

Smash Cadet
Still haven't beat Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter IV 2 3D in the registration? 7 Weeks is plenty of time to catch up!

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Sadly, there is little to be done to stop jerks from being jerks. And I honest-to-God don't expect much good to come out of the Melee fandom outside of exceptional gaming skill. Sorry if I offend, but Apex very much killed whatever respect I had for the majority of Melee's community.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
With both Smash games having this many entrants, maybe we can finally band together and attack the fandom that truly deserves scorn: Mahvel.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Sadly, there is little to be done to stop jerks from being jerks. And I honest-to-God don't expect much good to come out of the Melee fandom outside of exceptional gaming skill. Sorry if I offend, but Apex very much killed whatever respect I had for the majority of Melee's community.
If one incident caused you to lose respect for the majority of Melee's community, the respect was never there in the first place. Stop acting like you're so hurt and heartbroken and traumatized because of it, because you're just looking for an excuse to hate the melee community.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The fact that Evo is allowing customs gives me hope for the Smash 4 life.
But I do wish Brawl was on the list.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
If one incident caused you to lose respect for the majority of Melee's community, the respect was never there in the first place. Stop acting like you're so hurt and heartbroken and traumatized because of it, because you're just looking for an excuse to hate the melee community.
That incident was the last straw. And no, I'm not acting like I'm butthurt, heartbroken, or traumatized because of it. It's more of annoyance than anything.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
The real problem with the smash 4 and melee communities is that they point fingers at each other, blaming the other for pointing fingers. It reminds me of something my brother and I would do: he would punch me, I would go tell our mom, then he would tell her that I'm tattling. Sometimes it was the other way around. Instead of telling the other side to stop bashing you, take the high road and apologize without putting ANY blame on the other side.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
How would Melee players feel if Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom 3 fans hijacked their grand finals and started screaming for another game and heckled about when "the real fighting games will start"
It happened at last year's EVO and the traditional FGC is generally worse about this than the Melee community. Even in terms of the Melee community it's really more of a problem with certain loud forum warriors than the actual playerbase you'd see at a live tourney. Apex was largely an exception to this and had as much to with a tourney that was badly running over time because they lost a whole day as it did with the Melee community itself. Most actual Melee players are in fact respectful, and there's a lot of Smash 4 people who don't understand this and bash the Melee community unfairly. I don't expect the Melee community to behave badly assuming the tourney isn't going over time and we're not seeing a ton of custom Villager timeouts or something.

Last edited:

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
See? This shows that both games are popular, and have their respective fans. They can both share EVO, both end up successful in the long term, and nobody's scene needs to die for being "boring" or "old" or whatever. And these a numbers will only get higher.

#Melee&Smash4ever
#ProjectMforalittlewhile

kys

Smash Ace
Anyone can make anything competitive, but there are levels of competitiveness within games. Random factors, "luck", uneven playing fields, etc. can take away from how solid a game can be, from a competitive standpoint. A game is also a better competitive title if there is a solid reward/punish aspect.

Take Chess, for example. It's a great competitive game. Same pieces, same rectangular board. There is no "get out of jail free card" if you get a piece stuck or trapped. Outplay your opponent, set yourself up for rewards, and win the game. The only downside is the turn-based nature that allows one player to go first.

An example of a bad competitive game would be Yahtzee. Sure, there is some strategy, but playing mostly comprises of rolling dice. You could play Yahtzee competitively with millions of people and have a ton of fun doing it, but it doesn't make it an objectively good competitive game.

I don't know enough about Smash 4 to make a judgement on this, but there is such a thing about a game being better competitively than another when you look at those criteria. But really, it doesn't matter if both games have strong community support and each community enjoys its own degree of competitiveness.

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
Never work? so in 6 years when the meta is stale, customs wont be the thing that keeps sm4sh going for another 5 years? if not, do tell me what is. "Everybody will just play sonic and dr. mario" is RIDCOULOUS. If your pointing fingers at OP customs, your lookin at the wrong charecters. Look at Villager or DK if you want OP customs.
then youve just proven my point even more. melee has been played forever, we dont need customs to thrive

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully this'll influence Mr. Wizard to start having more than one game in a series at Evo in the future.

Thor

Smash Champion
YES YES ALL OF MY YES!

The fact that you can hold a competition to determine which is the better player is proof that Smash 4 is a vehicle for a competition. You may not like the kind competition it produces [i.e. strategy, the amount of time one set takes, etc.], but there is a competition to be had.

Incidentally, this is why we ban stages - Temple can be a stage to hold a competition on, but the competition is "Who can circle camp better with Fox?" which has a low skill ceiling and is considered by many "boring" to watch. Since the competitive scene wants to entertain viewers and discourage strategies with low skill ceilings that force one playstyle, we ban the stage.

However, the fact that Zero has won 34 Smash 4 tournaments in a row [maybe more by now?] is proof enough that Smash 4 is a skill-based game suitable for competition.

P.S: For all the people johning about "broken" customs: http://smashboards.com/threads/comm...under-wave-followups-sonics-hammer-sd.396222/ Your homework has been done for you, all you have to do is study up.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
then youve just proven my point even more. melee has been played forever, we dont need customs to thrive
Smash may not need customs to thrive, but that doesn't take away that it still benefits greatly from their presence, at least in my opinion.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
And this isn't melee. Customs aren't needed to thrive. However, it does help(or is, at the moment).

And for gods sake, this is an announcement on how many players each game has accrued. Why do people still need to be bashing the other game? You have no reason to. So stop.

HappyBear801

Smash Rookie
NNID
HappyBear801
Sorry. That was too brief and vague. What I meant was, Diddy's nerf was inevidable, since he was being complained about so much, and for good reason, as people who played him carelessly were being rewarded for easy and, yes, cheap tactics. Although, if one is a true-to-heart Diddy main who did not just play him fir the tier list, then one can still make use of him and do very well. Now, on the other hand, Rosalina is very easy to use (in my experience and many of others) and has plenty if cheap tactics of her own, but she did not recieve a nerf comparable to Diddy's in the patch that came with Mewtwo, still leaving this tournament wide open for her to doninate the bracket, and eventually, the tier list and the metagame. Hopefully a future patch could fix her more, but for now, I could see her being a big threat to face.

Top Bottom