• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blast Processing Cinemax: Sonic Video Thread/Critique thread

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Dang Espy your Sonic is hella good! Really great combos, I love the weak Nair hits to regrab. Sick. It seems like a lot of Sonic players really use his B moves a LOT, but I think his tilts and grabs may lead to more damaging combos. Well done!

Anyone have advice on how to record matches? I think I have the PM where replays get all desynched.

WildFrost

Smash Rookie
Got a set of my newbie Sonic vs Oracle
Wild vs Oracle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzHT_5GpKOM

It gets pretty bad after the first game. I feel like I got really nervous and had pretty clunky movement the whole game, rolling OoS way too much, using spring dair way too much and generally playing too scared/clunky. Any advice is appreciated :).

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You used fast fall uair1 for a set up.
There's hope for you PM Sonics after all. :applejack:

Also, on the lower % uthrow setups, you ever consider using a rising bair and hitting with the front of the hitbox? :applejack:

Last edited:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
You used fast fall uair1 for a set up.
There's hope for you PM Sonics after all. :applejack:

Also, on the lower % uthrow setups, you ever consider using a rising bair and hitting with the front of the hitbox? :applejack:
Oh, I'll try it. I just hope it doesn't hit the opponent to far away, ill see.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's probably only a low percentage thing for the most part. Weak hit nair is probably better all around either way. I only mentioned the bair part as a possible mixup. :applejack:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Hey guys, I know this is the opposite of what I should be doing, but the Diddy boards are pretty quiet. I was wondering if I could get some help fighting Sonic. I'll happily return the favor on Diddy (if only so people stop losing to our simpler gimmicks and screaming nerf) if needed.

Here is the only set I have ever played against a Sonic. He saved his pocket Sonic for me for tournament so I never even got friendly practice against it and had no idea what to do. I kind of started figuring it out over the course of the set, but SD'd three times in game 3 ._.

It was winners finals, but he cleverly asked if I wanted to agree to best of three since it was late (giving me less time to figure out how to fight Sonic, which I didn't realize he was going to pull out).

It's got three matches, unfortunately there was a hiccup with the recording and the audio isn't on there, so it's silent. (Sorry about that.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEeAeoyPpt0

Shoutouts to @ Espy Rose Espy Rose !

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Jab, throw bananas. You win.

And hi Praxis! Been too long man.:applejack:

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Sonic WD those bananas and those peanuts or IGT those suckahs. A good Sonic with items sounds terrifying.

When recovering be cautious for spring gimps. Now that I think about it if Diddy goes to charge Jetpack from a distance then Sonic can weak Nair over there and Side B -> Jump -> Up-B Back.

If Diddy tries to do it under the stage then spring. Of course I think Diddy's Jetpack goes through Spring but then if the Sonic's quick he can Dair -> Edgehog.

If Diddy goes high then Sonic has the speed to punish and he might be able to meet Diddy in the air with Up-B and Up-Air for the kill.

I'd say leave bananas on the ground but run over them/guard them so if he tries to approach he'll either get hit be you or hit you and trip. If he goes for the banana you can hit him.

LolidkthisMUandIdon'tevenmainSonic.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I'm fresh off 7 friendlies with our best Diddy in the area, so I got an idea on the matchup. For Diddy, he has to keep his specials flowing and getting in Sonic's way. Sonic's shield is horrible at his big feet, so having good aim on throwing the banana can hit a shielding Sonic's feet disturbingly easily. All your projectiles beat spin, and if you get Sonic below the stage without a doublejump, jetpack plain beats out spring. Half the time you can just put your back to an offstage Sonic and monkeyhump him when he passes by you. Your side-B can cut through Sonic's game in the air against all but perfectly spaced fair and bair. Yes, you can even catch Sonic out of dair easily if you meet in mid-air.

Diddy's hitboxes are all outside of him, so aerial confrontations are generally in your favor, and dash attacking off the edge usually carries an unlucky Sonic off with you, and in the perfect position to eat whatever you throw out, usually a devastating dair or fair. Monkey Flip can catch Sonic on his way up from a dair, and you just need to hop off his head and it should secure the stock.

However the scariest business when fighting Sonic is, of course, his ground speed and combo potential on Diddy. Sonic on the ground, and more primarily a Sonic that can use items as well or better than you can, will ruin your day. Diddy's FSmash is a really good tool, I've found, with dealing with a too-aggressive Sonic, because the range can catch Sonic when he's doing some pose(his skid animation has him pull back his entire body in a way that asks his opponent to hit him). If Sonic is at his scariest against Diddy when his item play just controls part of the stage that Diddy's nanners usually try to do.

What you want to do against Sonic is take him to places where you can more easily press his weaknesses more than your advantages. Dreamland limits his kill potential, Yoshi's Island(Brawl) does weird banana sliding things on the edge, as well as unfavorably change the angle on a number of Sonic's tilts, and its higher ceiling and lack of high platforms limit his ability to reliably chase for that uair kill, while the closer boundaries are lovely for your Fair hits.

I find this matchup in Diddy's favor more than Sonic's mostly due to his item game only coming into effect when he wants it, so you should be in more control of your nanners than Sonic ever could be, and your projectiles are straight better than a lot of what Sonic normally has to deal with.

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
I'm fresh off 7 friendlies with our best Diddy in the area, so I got an idea on the matchup. For Diddy, he has to keep his specials flowing and getting in Sonic's way. Sonic's shield is horrible at his big feet, so having good aim on throwing the banana can hit a shielding Sonic's feet disturbingly easily. All your projectiles beat spin, and if you get Sonic below the stage without a doublejump, jetpack plain beats out spring. Half the time you can just put your back to an offstage Sonic and monkeyhump him when he passes by you. Your side-B can cut through Sonic's game in the air against all but perfectly spaced fair and bair. Yes, you can even catch Sonic out of dair easily if you meet in mid-air.

Diddy's hitboxes are all outside of him, so aerial confrontations are generally in your favor, and dash attacking off the edge usually carries an unlucky Sonic off with you, and in the perfect position to eat whatever you throw out, usually a devastating dair or fair. Monkey Flip can catch Sonic on his way up from a dair, and you just need to hop off his head and it should secure the stock.

However the scariest business when fighting Sonic is, of course, his ground speed and combo potential on Diddy. Sonic on the ground, and more primarily a Sonic that can use items as well or better than you can, will ruin your day. Diddy's FSmash is a really good tool, I've found, with dealing with a too-aggressive Sonic, because the range can catch Sonic when he's doing some pose(his skid animation has him pull back his entire body in a way that asks his opponent to hit him). If Sonic is at his scariest against Diddy when his item play just controls part of the stage that Diddy's nanners usually try to do.

What you want to do against Sonic is take him to places where you can more easily press his weaknesses more than your advantages. Dreamland limits his kill potential, Yoshi's Island(Brawl) does weird banana sliding things on the edge, as well as unfavorably change the angle on a number of Sonic's tilts, and its higher ceiling and lack of high platforms limit his ability to reliably chase for that uair kill, while the closer boundaries are lovely for your Fair hits.

I find this matchup in Diddy's favor more than Sonic's mostly due to his item game only coming into effect when he wants it, so you should be in more control of your nanners than Sonic ever could be, and your projectiles are straight better than a lot of what Sonic normally has to deal with.
Nice. That's good to know. Other than denying Diddy the opportunities you mentioned above, what's the best way to kill that monkey?

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
By the way, is anyone interested in seeing my Sonic getting annihilated by Mew2King ? :chuckle:

Spoiler alert: He didn't know the character at all, so that benefited me a bit... By that I mean I didn't get 4 stocked.

I asked him what he thought about Sonic in PM in he told me he's one of the best. He mentioned that Plup is full of praise of Wizzrobe Wizzrobe 's Sonic and that him and MK are top in PM in his opinion. So that's cool.

So this video is from yesterday at a tourney called Otafest: Assault II, a regional tournament in Alberta, Canada. This is was just a friendly so I wasn't nervous, but the Fox pressure threw me off quite a bit. I really don't know what to do against very agro/pressure heavy characters. I hate Fox's nair. Also, please ignore how I lose my 3rd stock in the first game LOL, I simply couldn't keep up with the King.

Please please please give guidance. Give any advice you can.

ANYWAYS, here it is. I played him twice, starting at 04:02:19: (please give the video a bit to load, Twitch isn't the fastest and videos aren't on YouTube yet)

:sonic: vs :fox:
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity2/b/529421009?t=242m19s

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
By the way, is anyone interested in seeing my Sonic getting annihilated by Mew2King ? :chuckle:

Spoiler alert: He didn't know the character at all, so that benefited me a bit... By that I mean I didn't get 4 stocked.

I asked him what he thought about Sonic in PM in he told me he's one of the best. He mentioned that Plup is full of praise of Wizzrobe Wizzrobe 's Sonic and that him and MK are top in PM in his opinion. So that's cool.

So this video is from yesterday at a tourney called Otafest: Assault II, a regional tournament in Alberta, Canada. This is was just a friendly so I wasn't nervous, but the Fox pressure threw me off quite a bit. I really don't know what to do against very agro/pressure heavy characters. I hate Fox's nair. Also, please ignore how I lose my 3rd stock in the first game LOL, I simply couldn't keep up with the King.

Please please please give guidance. Give any advice you can.

ANYWAYS, here it is. I played him twice, starting at 04:02:19: (please give the video a bit to load, Twitch isn't the fastest and videos aren't on YouTube yet)

:sonic: vs :fox:
http://www.twitch.tv/ssbuniversity2/b/529421009?t=242m19s
I think M2K's played Darky before so he isn't completely unfamiliar with the character. Maybe with the playstyle.

First off:
- Learn how to sweetspot spring. If not you're going to eat an F-Smash EVERY time you're trying to recover.
- You SHFFL offstage to hit people but end up overshooting and the other person just gets back on stage for free. Stay on stage and punish whatever they do.
- You're going around a lot with Spin Attack and it looks like Fox's Nair beats it. Stop only using it.
- Probably other people more suited to giving critique, gonna leave it off there.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Nice. That's good to know. Other than denying Diddy the opportunities you mentioned above, what's the best way to kill that monkey?
Uair combo for days. There's a really good near-frame perfect up-B uair that you can get as you're rising that the first hit does set knockback into a perfect tipper second hit that I pulled off yesterday quite a few times to clinch victories against my opponents, and I think it's global across the cast(Falco and Fox probably notwithstanding because why shouldn't they). Diddy is probably the most annoying to gimp because he can recovery from crazy far away, and you're gonna eat either his ramming hitbox, or the barrels, and that's not going to let you followup. I've found the best way to deal with Diddy is to keep him above you and not to jump until he's exhausted his side-B or he's in shorthop uair range.

Catch the Monkey while he's tossing bananas out, especially in mid-air. It's a lot like Zelda using Din's offstage. Sonic can almost always get out there and punish before their animation is over.

Tha_Shogun_12

Smash Journeyman
I have a bunch of Sonic vids for you guys! But the down part is that they are all team videos :(. But they are good none-the-less :D. I'm not looking for too much critique but I will take some advice (I know that sounds contradicting lol) Anyways here they go:

Losers Finals Tha Shogun/Chamberline (Fox) vs. Wiggins/DrinkingFood (Falcon,Luigi/ROB)

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZm6K8cnOU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9l9cvaOMM

Grand Finals Tha Shogun/Chamberline (Fox,Sheik) vs Denti/Sethlon (Ivysaur/ROB)

Part1 (Second Match I choose Sonic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxgyKxlmuY
Part2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gA1-z4Hlw

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hi guys! I have just recently participated in a tourney in Puerto Rico in which had a stream so I managed to play a lot of different characters and get most of my matches on stream. There I consider myself to have played really well in most of my matches, and some of them were tough since i had to adjust how I approached my opponents (Especially Winners and Grand finals). Also for those of you that are looking to know more about some matchups I hope I maybe able to help a bit with my matches. Sometimes the sound is a bit jarred (at least in my laptop) but it should not bother too much if the volumes are not too high I think. Here are my matches, Enjoy!

http://www.twitch.tv/kraverick/b/536320605#

27:50 Taco (Fox/Roy) vs ET Gab Comet Winners side
1:02:51 Master Gheb (Peach) vs ET Gab Comet Winners Quarters
1:59:00 ET Astro (Samus) vs ET Gab Comet Winners Semis
2:23:22 Excel Zero (Roy) vs ET Gab Comet Winners Finals
3:00:20 Sant (Toon Link) vs ET Gab Comet Losers Finals
3:24:00 Excel Zero (Roy/Falco) vs ET Gab Comet Grand Finals

Edit: Right now the link I provided only takes you to the twitch page of the user since the stream was deleted, there are still some matches stored exept loser and grand finals where I am under the name Et Comet, but I suspect the user might be uploading the vids to youtube.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Could I get some critiques of my Sonic? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbX-XsVGB7o
Hello! well first I would have to say to practice the basics more a litle bit like L-canceling and dash dancing, I saw some missed L-cancels here and there, the second thing is that I find it odd that you are not using any of Sonic's specials like homing attack, side-b and down b. If you want to get better with any character one must learn how tu use all the tools the character has to offer, In this case it is especially true with Sonic's specials. And finally I saw that you only recovered using side b(tapped and not holded sometimes since you went straight down on some occasions) and spring. Sonic has a lot of versatile recovery options like gaining distance with homing attack, spinshot and the likes. Hope this helps.

I have a bunch of Sonic vids for you guys! But the down part is that they are all team videos :(. But they are good none-the-less :D. I'm not looking for too much critique but I will take some advice (I know that sounds contradicting lol) Anyways here they go:

Losers Finals Tha Shogun/Chamberline (Fox) vs. Wiggins/DrinkingFood (Falcon,Luigi/ROB)

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTZm6K8cnOU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9l9cvaOMM

Grand Finals Tha Shogun/Chamberline (Fox,Sheik) vs Denti/Sethlon (Ivysaur/ROB)

Part1 (Second Match I choose Sonic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxgyKxlmuY
Part2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3gA1-z4Hlw
Although I am not accustomed to play Sonic in Teams I could say you did a good, you rarely hit your ally and managed to do a lot of work done. I find it difficult to judge an individual on a teams setting though, especially since one cannot really use spins without risking to hit an ally (especially in small stages). I would love to see some singles matches to get a better view of your Sonic.

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Hello! well first I would have to say to practice the basics more a litle bit like L-canceling and dash dancing, I saw some missed L-cancels here and there, the second thing is that I find it odd that you are not using any of Sonic's specials like homing attack, side-b and down b. If you want to get better with any character one must learn how tu use all the tools the character has to offer, In this case it is especially true with Sonic's specials. And finally I saw that you only recovered using side b(tapped and not holded sometimes since you went straight down on some occasions) and spring. Sonic has a lot of versatile recovery options like gaining distance with homing attack, spinshot and the likes. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Yeah, I just recently got into sonic, so I'm not really sure how to use his specials. I mainly just nair forever and then tech chase. As you can see, I am kind of a newbie.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Thanks! Yeah, I just recently got into sonic, so I'm not really sure how to use his specials. I mainly just nair forever and then tech chase. As you can see, I am kind of a newbie.
I'd advise watching some videos of successful Sonics like Wizzy, Solharath, Darky, etc. You'll see how they use them and get an idea for it.

Don't forget that Side B cancels when you roll off the edge of a platform or the stage, even if you're doing the kick flip part. You can also cancel the Side B with jump (as long as you didn't kick flip), allowing for a TON of options such as wavedash, JC grab, etc.

alphabattack

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I occasionally use side-b for a JC grab, but I rarely connect, so I try to avoid it. I will watch though. Thanks!

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hey guys. I'm currently participating in a netplay tournament for my country and this is my second most recent match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrztyXf_mCY&hd=1

I've been told I use the spins a bit too much and I need to vary up my approach which I'm working on. I'm also not very knowledgeable in the Yoshi matchup so I was a bit more linear than usual in my approach, but I think I played the best on Battlefield.

Please critique!

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm currently participating in a netplay tournament for my country and this is my second most recent match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrztyXf_mCY&hd=1

I've been told I use the spins a bit too much and I need to vary up my approach which I'm working on. I'm also not very knowledgeable in the Yoshi matchup so I was a bit more linear than usual in my approach, but I think I played the best on Battlefield.

Please critique!
Hello starseeker! One thing I noticed was that on your first and second match some of your deaths were because of a missed L-cancel bair (2 times first match) and a missed l-canceled dair with a missed tech(Second match). Fundamentals like these need to be strengthened in order to minimize the opponents chances for counter play and to maximize your own effectiveness. Your play style reminds me a lot of my own in terms of aggressiveness, once your in you want to keep yourself in, but you must know when to keep attacking or step back and return to neutral game. Once you finish a combo and your opponents recovers, what you can do is feint an approach in order to bait your opponent into throwing an attack, leaving him open to you. As far as spins go, it worked well on the first match, but then your opponent adapted in the second and third match. Spins are really quick and can catch an opponent off guard, but they are also linear and predictable when used too much, plus the fact that they are very linear in terms of the direction they go and leave you vulnerable to many attacks. They lose to most high priority attacks like Yoshi's nair as well. Basics like dash dancing and wavedashing combined with occasional spin movement gives you a higher degree of control with Sonic without putting you in "all in situations". That said I enjoyed the match and hope to see more from you in the future.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hello starseeker! One thing I noticed was that on your first and second match some of your deaths were because of a missed L-cancel bair (2 times first match) and a missed l-canceled dair with a missed tech(Second match). Fundamentals like these need to be strengthened in order to minimize the opponents chances for counter play and to maximize your own effectiveness. Your play style reminds me a lot of my own in terms of aggressiveness, once your in you want to keep yourself in, but you must know when to keep attacking or step back and return to neutral game. Once you finish a combo and your opponents recovers, what you can do is feint an approach in order to bait your opponent into throwing an attack, leaving him open to you. As far as spins go, it worked well on the first match, but then your opponent adapted in the second and third match. Spins are really quick and can catch an opponent off guard, but they are also linear and predictable when used too much, plus the fact that they are very linear in terms of the direction they go and leave you vulnerable to many attacks. They lose to most high priority attacks like Yoshi's nair as well. Basics like dash dancing and wavedashing combined with occasional spin movement gives you a higher degree of control with Sonic without putting you in "all in situations". That said I enjoyed the match and hope to see more from you in the future.
Thanks Gab. I've recently been working on baiting more and mixing up grabs. Next time I have a recorded tourney match I'll be sure to show you.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Grand Finals vs Excel Zero (Roy) in Puerto Rico, thx this tournament I raised in the Puerto Rico power rankings in PM to get the number 1 spot. I would really appreciate any and all feedback and or comments on my Sonic play as it would greatly help me improve even further.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jU89g8FI-_k

Player -0

Smash Hero
Grand Finals vs Excel Zero (Roy) in Puerto Rico, thx this tournament I raised in the Puerto Rico power rankings in PM to get the number 1 spot. I would really appreciate any and all feedback and or comments on my Sonic play as it would greatly help me improve even further.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jU89g8FI-_k
I don't typically do this but I'll give any tips I see that you could improve on. Also I'll be saying these as I watch the video.

- As I'm sure you've figured out don't hang onto the ledge doing nothing, especially vs. an opponent that's close to you, have a decent amount of range on their attacks, or fast. Learn the timing to regrab the ledge perfectly with your DJ and ledgedash onto the stage.

- When opponents are on platform you can SH Up-Air to pressure and then land and do it again or jump, waveland, grab. Using a spinshot (grounded) destroys your advantageous position.

- For Roy always be ready to DI his forward throw down and away.

- Instead of dash attack you might want to use Side B more, especially since you can wavedash out of it into more followups.

- Be careful when using Up-B to Dair, especially if you don't reverse your Up-B so you face the opposite direction you were originally facing (Typically facing the opponent). When doing this try stalling your Dair until your opponent throws out their attack they expect you to fly into. You can also reverse your Up-B so you get to the ground away from them and the spring covers you. When stalling just drift towards the ledge or a platform until it's close enough or you're safe and then dair to get to the ground quickly. If you don't get the stage then take the ledge.

- When edgeguarding (Roy at least) if he's close to the stage and higher than the ledge don't try to use the spring to gimp him, use your normal attacks. Also you can edgehog if you time correctly (this can be hard because Roy can go sideways or wait until he's more under the ledge). Basically don't always go for the spring gimp, sometimes you're giving your opponent the ledge for free which is bad especially against someone like Roy who has a fairly abusable recovery.

- I'm not completely sure about this but vs. Roy I think you should take him to a stage with big blast zones since like Dreamland so you can gimp him to kill him (only works if you're gimping him). Roy usually will be getting outright kills anyway and you should be able to carry him off the stage with things like D-Throw tech chases or Up-Throw combos.

- If Roy is coming from below you can let go of the ledge and Nair (don't fast fall). Just make sure you're ready to tech if you get hit. If he's coming from more to the side you can try the same thing but drift more away from the stage.

- Be careful when using spinshot to recover, you can use Side B (make sure you get the one that stalls you in air) and then jump out of it so you have less of a commitment. You can also use Neutral B and tap A (blast attack) which will instantly send you forward as if you had no target. The blast attack can be used to combo too.

- Vs. Falco you should know his recovery better and what he can do. 14:35 you had a free edgehog. 14:55 is another example, he could've either went up (which he did) or went right at you. If he went right at you roll if he went up then just ledgehog.

- For comboing out of Up Throw you can do any aerial. If they're near the ledge you can go for the spike hitbox of the dair. If they're onstage you can do fair carryoff, make sure your opponent is in front and above of you when you're doing it though.

- When D-Throw tech chasing try not to dash too far away from your opponent, just get out of their get up attack range and wait there.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Thx for the tips, you have been of great help and I really appreciate them. Ill be sure to watch out for those things in my play.

Anyways, here I will post the rest of my matches of the tournament

Winners side Vs Tawko (Fox,Roy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFXsmmMdN0
Winners side Vs Master Gheb (Peach) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKBDyzARC5Q
Winners Semi Vs ET Astro (Samus) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JjzcqoAIbQ
Winners Finals vs Excel Zero (Roy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S-7a__cjs8
Losers Finals vs Sant (Toon Link) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auT353T6w7o

Just for future reference. Again not necessary but comments and feedback in any of the matches are appreciated.

IzzyWright

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0791-3719-4467
Hay guize

InterimOfZeal/IzzyInfamous here. Some oldschoolers like Espy prolly remember meeeee.

PM is pretty sweet. Just started playing again 3 weeks ago, placed 5th at a recent tournament, and decided to hop over here to see if you guys have any new tricks.

Looks like I have some for you guys, instead!

I'll have videos up when I can find the link to the stream, but I did stuff like uair uair (upb to catch up to them) dair spike into spring into regrabs/other aerials, and I -think- I managed to get fsmash (mid hit, sends up) fair spike, fsmash.

There are a lot of shenanigans with Sonic, holy crap. Spinshot OP.

Anyway hi I'm kinda back.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hay guize

InterimOfZeal/IzzyInfamous here. Some oldschoolers like Espy prolly remember meeeee.

PM is pretty sweet. Just started playing again 3 weeks ago, placed 5th at a recent tournament, and decided to hop over here to see if you guys have any new tricks.

Looks like I have some for you guys, instead!

I'll have videos up when I can find the link to the stream, but I did stuff like uair uair (upb to catch up to them) dair spike into spring into regrabs/other aerials, and I -think- I managed to get fsmash (mid hit, sends up) fair spike, fsmash.

There are a lot of shenanigans with Sonic, holy crap. Spinshot OP.

Anyway hi I'm kinda back.
Yeah, those strings like uair spring diar into new stuff is pretty much my bread and butter flashy combos and stuff, although I almost never FSmash(this is more of a problem with the way I play than anything else). We usually don't discuss DI-able combos, more like applications of the finer points of Sonic's movement.

And yes, spinshot OP.

I wish I was good at it.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I've recently (within the last 6 or 7 months) been getting into the competitive scene, and I have to say that watching players like Mapmark and such and just analyzing the videos of my ability has helped a ton. Also getting getting hands on pointers from Nazo was a big help too, especially since he's the only Sonic I know who uses the Wiichuck. The only problem now is finding some people other than the computer to practice against so I know how I can improve further. Practicing by oneself can only do so much. Also side note, aside from MapMark and Nazo, THIS has got to be the most ridiculous Sonic I have seen. I swear the man is using chaos emeralds.

Wizzrobe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJgK7xxMsg

Player -0

Smash Hero
I've recently (within the last 6 or 7 months) been getting into the competitive scene, and I have to say that watching players like Mapmark and such and just analyzing the videos of my ability has helped a ton. Also getting getting hands on pointers from Nazo was a big help too, especially since he's the only Sonic I know who uses the Wiichuck. The only problem now is finding some people other than the computer to practice against so I know how I can improve further. Practicing by oneself can only do so much. Also side note, aside from MapMark and Nazo, THIS has got to be the most ridiculous Sonic I have seen. I swear the man is using chaos emeralds.

Wizzrobe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvJgK7xxMsg
Herp, I thought you were GabPR because you guys have the same avi...

Wizzrobe is the one who exposed how broken Sonic was in 2.5.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Herp, I thought you were GabPR because you guys have the same avi...

Wizzrobe is the one who exposed how broken Sonic was in 2.5.
I really need to find a new avatar lol. I chose this one because I main Sonic and I use his red costume :p. As for Wizzrobe, I'm fully aware of that fact. I've seen videos of Sonic back in 2.5 particularly of Wizzrobe going against Mew2king, it was redonkulous lol.

Last edited:

GabPR

Smash Lord
Hey guys, here are some of my matches from another tournament in Puerto Rico. Most if not all commentary is in spanish so I hope you do not mind. Feedback and suggestions are always appreciated. Enjoy!

Winners quarters vs Unknown (Lucas) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=togkOK5ChCg&list=PLrd-QDf4DsHyMTzLz0DkCMq1uOvaydwe2&index=10

Winners Semis vs Master Gheb (Peach) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUq8QaGX_to&index=7&list=PLrd-QDf4DsHyMTzLz0DkCMq1uOvaydwe2

Winners Final vs Excel Zero (Roy/Fox) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDlbJgfVdQw&index=3&list=PLrd-QDf4DsHyMTzLz0DkCMq1uOvaydwe2

Grand Finals vs Excel Zero (Roy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eVFmDFN28&list=PLrd-QDf4DsHyMTzLz0DkCMq1uOvaydwe2&index=1

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Hey guys, here are some of my matches from another tournament in Puerto Rico. Most if not all commentary is in spanish so I hope you do not mind. Feedback and suggestions are always appreciated. Enjoy!

Grand Finals vs Excel Zero (Roy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eVFmDFN28&list=PLrd-QDf4DsHyMTzLz0DkCMq1uOvaydwe2&index=1
I'll see if I can analyse those grand finals a bit more and write down what I think. So far you look very solid. I absolutely love that b reverse Spindash charge gimp! Oh man I need to use that. So far I have some basic observations;

- Watch out for stage choices; Warioware versus Roy didn't seem to work out well for you.

- Calm down when on platforms above the opponent, you got punished multiple times for missed attacks while Roy was below you.

- While your aggressive attacks were working the majority of the time, perhaps you should bait a little bit more and let Roy come to you for some grab into kill moves.

These are just a few simple things that I saw occurring. Please let me know if you do not agree with my observation and I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I figured out that side b foot stool has more follow ups besides dair like Homing Attack Blast Attack is a little tricky to pull off but its possible!

Top Bottom