• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i wish i had captured that in higher quality. i have no clue what we recorded that with, it was such a long time ago

i felt so cool

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Just wondering.
How do you perform Charizards dash shield. I've found some demonstrations of it so far but none have explained how to do it.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
I have a question regarding rustiness

-Lets say I know this guy who happens to be rusty. He usually spends a hour in training just trying things of course but Im curious on what would be the correct way to practice things instead of flailing around doing things such as that for each Pokemon or any charcter in general if you wish for me to make it easier to understand

-okay that guy is me :/

Been doing USCG enlistment so it ook a considerable amount of time out of my schedule

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Read about the character and matchups you don't like. Theorycraft different ways to do the things you want to do. There are multiple ways to do most general things, like keeping people out or punishing spotdodges. Try to figure out what all of your useful options are.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Just wondering, would it be better to have tap jump turned on or off for GCC?

Having it on makes it much simpler to perform squirtle's Forward Hydroplane, and allows you to U-smash with the Z button if need be, but having it off allows you to perform a Utilt or Uair without unwantingly initiating a jump.

T-block

B2B TST
it's preference... with enough practice, you should be able to do both of those easily without much trouble with either scheme. the only reason i've heard for having tap jump off that i like is for having ivysaur's double jump after you use up-b.

that was a terribly constructed sentence but i hope it's understandable.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Do swapped pokemon, without being KOed, have all fresh moves? For example, Char Usmashes 9 times in a row>DownB swap to squirt>squirt Usmashes; will it have any decay?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Do swapped pokemon, without being KOed, have all fresh moves? For example, Char Usmashes 9 times in a row>DownB swap to squirt>squirt Usmashes; will it have any decay?
Correct; anytime Pokémon Trainer or Zelda/Sheik uses Down-B, all of their moves' staleness disappears, even if you switch three times back to whatever Pokémon initially had stale stuff.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Does PT have any special means of momentum canceling. More specifically, are there any moves outside of areals that can be used to avoid a K.O?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think it's the same as Ivysaur D-Air and lots of momentum change moves (Sonic's D-Air, etc.), where they don't affect momentum caused by knockback.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If a tether (Ivy) successfully grabs a ledge, all other momentum is canceled. But I don't think that will help in Ivy's case.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is it reccomended that PT mains take on a secondary, and if so what are some good ones for him to use?
If you enjoy winning in a tournament setting, absolutely.

We struggle against Wario, Falco, Marth, Meta Knight, and Dedede. Ice Climbers, Marth, Meta Knight and Diddy Kong are adequate choices; if I had to pick "the best," it would be Meta Knight (obviously), then Ice Climbers. To a lesser degree, Snake, Falco, and Dedede are solid choices, too, but they don't cover everything particularly well.

T-block

B2B TST
it's never a bad idea to have a secondary no matter what your main is to be honest... it's really only about whether you want to get another character up to tournament level.

diddy, marth, mk are ones that come to mind as good secondaries. are there any matchups in particular you find you have problems with? that's usually a good place to start when trying to decide on a secondary.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Learning different characters helps your skill and game in general reach new levels.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Thats hard to say since I can only brawl other people on Wi-Fi, but for now I'd say Shiek, Falco, Olimar, Peach and GaW.

Edit: Okay new question. I'm starting to look into burst ranging for Pokemon Trainer. So far I've been experimenting with his individual options for each character with mixed results. What are some things you guys do to properly space the opponent, and about how far away would you say is the ideal distance for each character?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Air dodge>2nd jump?

Good work going PT vs MK on the grand finals! That takes b- guts of steel!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I was trying to point out the fair that broke the mach tornado. I don't think that should have worked.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was trying to point out the fair that broke the mach tornado. I don't think that should have worked.
Oh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w98luPkY8sM#t=51s
MK's tornado has 3 hitbubbles with weird armor properties, slightly like with Fox/Falco's sideBs, 2 bubbles to his sides, 1 on either side of him and 1 below him. Tornados have 2 hits with hitstun that can be SDIed, the first and last hit that connect- all other hits trap characters but have no normal hitstun (therefor can't be SDIed only DIed).
If most attacks touch a hit bubble before MK the armor will nullify the attack. Transcendent attacks will not react to hit bubbles so they can hit MK out of his tornado.
Decayed tornados, nados with 'B' not tapped, and the very start/end of nados have lower priority and more attacks out prioritize them and hit.
What happened was squirt hit MK from above before the side nado hit bubble connected so MK took the hit.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=263713

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wonder if well-spaced Ivysaur F-Air could reliably beat Mach Tornado if we immediately double-jump F-Air.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I wonder if well-spaced Ivysaur F-Air could reliably beat Mach Tornado if we immediately double-jump F-Air.
That's what I was thinking when I saw it. I also found out the other day a fresh dtilt from Charizard can break MK out of his tornado. Though it was all sheer luck. I was on battlefield on the right platform, my friend was below me, used tornado, I saw an opening and my fingers reacted with a dtilt. I got lucky and hit the base of the tornado which I've been told is its weakest area, it was also enough to KO him. I'm not sure how much we can take away from that situation and apply it elsewhere.

Edit: Did ever show you guys that video I found a while back about a certain frame gap in mach tornado that allows pretty much any character to grab MK while he's using it? Including pokemon trainer?

Edit2: those hitbubbles are scary.

Rizen

Smash Legend
MK's tornado wouldn't be so bad if his air speed and ability to raise or lower it with 'B' during the move weren't good :/ .
Jumped Bair with Ivy looks like a good attack area to hit MK out of tornadoes but the he could shuttle loop to counter *sigh*

Bomber7

Smash Hero
MK's tornado wouldn't be so bad if his air speed and ability to raise or lower it with 'B' during the move weren't good :/ .
Jumped Bair with Ivy looks like a good attack area to hit MK out of tornadoes but the he could shuttle loop to counter *sigh*
I also think those hitbubbles on that shuttle loop are a lie. You can get hit almost during the entire loop. It's so broken. Even if he pokes you while he's at the top of the loop, it still pokes you pretty far. I was watching the tournament in Japan on live stream last night and I can't tell you how many times I saw that happen.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I have to agree with T. Fair does come out pretty slow, you could pull it off but it would be something to whip out (no pun intended) spontaneously.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The pic of shuttle loop's hitbubbles showed a hit that counts as one and during it's duration moves up with MK. It was accurate but not displayed clearly. *shrug*
Since characters fall and MK's tornado has no protection above it most aerial attacks (besides Uairs) could hit MK out but he's crazy fast in both lag (lack of) and movement:urg:. He can change the move's duration too. Like most of his moves, a well spaced tornado is almost not punishable except by transcendent attacks.
/MK da bess

Bomber7

Smash Hero
The pic of shuttle loop's hitbubbles showed a hit that counts as one and during it's duration moves up with MK. It was accurate but not displayed clearly. *shrug*
Since characters fall and MK's tornado has no protection above it most aerial attacks (besides Uairs) could hit MK out but he's crazy fast in both lag (lack of) and movement:urg:. He can change the move's duration too. Like most of his moves, a well spaced tornado is almost not punishable except by transcendent attacks.
/MK da bess
Can you tell me real quick what you mean by transcendent moves?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Transcendent attacks will only interact with hurtboxes and never with hit bubbles.

Some people say transcendent attacks will never 'clank'; this is true but not the full case. Falco's blaster is so annoying because it's transcendent and interrupts other moves. Mario's fireballs are not transcendant and many characters can cancel them with attacks like jabs because the jab hitbubble touches before their hurtbox.
Diddy's bananas, true explosions (not Samus', those count as fire only), space animal's shine/lasers, most of MK's sword attacks, several of Zelda's magic attacks and a few other things are transcendent, btw.

Rizen

Smash Legend
According to http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Priority , both Charizard and Squirtle have transcendent priority, as well as Ivysaur's Jab & BS.
Yeah ^that has several inaccuracies. For Brawl:
All space animal's shines have transcendent hitbubbles for part of the attack and separate reflect boxes for more of it.
Ganon's Dair-no
Ike standard attacks-no
Ivy's bullet seed has only the first hit that pulls opponents in.
...this is going to take longer than I care for, lol.

Rule of thumb: transcendent attacks always will hit MK out of his tornado.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Which moves are best to use to momentum cancel for each pokemon?

(I used to use PT back then, but then dropped him, but now I'm picking him up again lol)

Top Bottom