• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Movie This Year?

Grandeza

Smash Master
I feel like the Hangover is part of some enormous inside joke that I'm not privy to, because I didn't find it the least bit funny (I can safely say I didn't laugh once the entire 2 hours). Bruno killed that movie in terms of humor.

Maybe I'm just not dumb enough to get the Hangover.
Really? I found the Hangover to be drop dead hilarious. I didn't find it to be dumb humor either. I genuinely felt it was funny and a great movie. I'm very surprised that you didn't laugh during that movie.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I think this should be in the Media forum, but I'll respond anyway. So far, I can't say what my favorite film of 2009 was. I do have lists for 2000-008, but my 2009 list won't be ready for a while. It's scheduled for Pi Day (March 14), 2010. If anyone is interested in these lists, please PM me. I'll be more than happy to share them. If you want me to post them right here in this topic, I'll do that too. Most movies I've seen this year are good. Star Trek and Up come to mind first, and are being considered for my "Best of '009" list. As for the worst films, I haven't seen any, but I heard that The Pink Panther 2 was horrible.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

But seriously.

Gran Torino.

Old, grumpy, white man in an Asian commmunity?
A stroke of genius (Or a genius having a stroke, you decide).

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
I loved Gran Torino. I put that on my Top 40 Films of 2008 at #12. If Clint Eastwood ever directed a bad movie, I can't recall it.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm having high hopes for Astro Boy. So far I'll give Star Track the title of best movie of 2009 right now.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
soooo.... you didnt like it:confused::cry:?? lol

well i did read the book(i can DEFINATLY say the book was way bettr! never siad it wasent) but the movie was great for me too!

how is harry dumbledores slave:confused:? did i miss something about that? lol
I dunno, I was a bit irritated when I wrote that :chuckle:

they didnt do ALL the pesieves but they did the important ones
No, they shouldve showed more background about Voldemort and his ring so understood where he came from and where the Horcruxes came from

they explained the horcruxes to the point that people that dont read the book can understand what theyr uses are.
Ah, I disagree, my dad has never read the book and asked me to explain Horcruxes again after we watched the movie.

i think they covered most of what they needed to
its not like they could put everything in obviously.
Im completely aware of this, but they focused way too much on Ron/Hermione's dating issues. Seriously, thats all the movie focused on while at Hogwarts

although i will say that there were things i wasent happy with but still a solid movie. You have your opinion, I have mine.
Im a huge HP fan, so it just pissed me off a bit hehe. My comments in red

nicekid76

Smash Apprentice
Your kidding right?
The only reason that movie should be watched is to see giant robots fighting. I mean seriously I saw the green screen 3 times, there was a pigeon, you could see Alamogordo (the city next to white sands, which is where some scenes were shot). I am a huge transformers fan and I was still disappointed with this movie, I enjoyed it, but it was very disappointing.

My favorite movies his year, would be Watchmen, Up, Star Trek, The Soloist, Coraline, Taking of Pelham 123 and Public Enemies. I think Where the wild things are, Sherlock Holmes, and 9 will be some of my other favorites.
I wasn't kidding, I thought the movie was great... idk
maybe it was because of the people I went with made the whole movie experience cool and set the bright tone. it may be because my friends and I were talking in the cinema and making jokes about everything that happen like peoples reaction in the crowd.
But at the same time I have to say I never, not once saw the green screen. When I was watching the movie I was dying of laughter. I thought the FX people did a great job at the whole thing.
Of course I went to see Transformer to see the giant talking robots but I enjoyed the whole movie and saw nothing disappointing about this movie

RDK

Smash Hero
Did you see this in Japan or.. aquire it through some other means because Livvers and I want it.
The Pirate Bay is your friend.

Nicekid76 said:
I wasn't kidding, I thought the movie was great... idk
maybe it was because of the people I went with made the whole movie experience cool and set the bright tone. it may be because my friends and I were talking in the cinema and making jokes about everything that happen like peoples reaction in the crowd.
But at the same time I have to say I never, not once saw the green screen. When I was watching the movie I was dying of laughter. I thought the FX people did a great job at the whole thing.
Of course I went to see Transformer to see the giant talking robots but I enjoyed the whole movie and saw nothing disappointing about this movie
The fact that you can find nothing wrong with Transformers is a prime example of what's wrong with American cinema today. Michael Bay and Shia LaButt should be tried for crimes against humanity.

nicekid76

Smash Apprentice
Transformers 2 was absolutely awful, but that wasn't surprising considering how bad the first one was.
I loved both transformers. Personally I think you just being a hater. Like I said before there was nothing wrong with either Transformers movie.
My vote probably goes to Star Trek or Watchmen. I feel like the Hangover is part of some enormous inside joke that I'm not privy to, because I didn't find it the least bit funny (I can safely say I didn't laugh once the entire 2 hours). Bruno killed that movie in terms of humor.
Hangover...
...there was barly any momement when i wasn't laughing. Like I said before, hater
Maybe I'm just not dumb enough to get the Hangover.
No disrespect but maybe you were smart enough to get it. Open your mind to new ideas and view points
The fact that you can find nothing wrong with Transformers is a prime example of what's wrong with American cinema today. Michael Bay and Shia LaButt should be tried for crimes against humanity.
To tell you the truth I think Shia Labeouf is a great actor. I've seen almost every movie he made. The only one I have yet to see is this one about golf, I forget what it's called. Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Shia one of the best actor there is...
...maybe not top ten...
---but i would put him in the top 25! (maybe)

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I only liked Shia Labouf in Disturbia but I hope he does a good job in The Associate (Movie based on my favorite author, John Grisham's newest novel)

D

Deleted member

Ah, how could I forget about Gran Torino?! That was by far the best movie I've seen this year. In other news, I saw Up today, and I didn't really care for it.

RDK

Smash Hero
I loved both transformers. Personally I think you just being a hater. Like I said before there was nothing wrong with either Transformers movie.
Hangover...
...there was barly any momement when i wasn't laughing. Like I said before, hater
No disrespect but maybe you were smart enough to get it. Open your mind to new ideas and view points To tell you the truth I think Shia Labeouf is a great actor. I've seen almost every movie he made. The only one I have yet to see is this one about golf, I forget what it's called. Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Shia one of the best actor there is...
...maybe not top ten...
---but i would put him in the top 25! (maybe)

I have a hard time believing this isn't a joke post, because......just wow.

No disrespect but maybe you were smart enough to get it.
I mean wow.

You're seriously asking why Transformers was bad? How about the awful acting from almost every character in the movie, including Shia LaBeouf, who couldn't act his way out of a paper bag? All the kid did was flop around and scream the entire movie.

How about the ridiculous shaky fight scenes where it's impossible to tell what's going on because of Michael Bay's atrocious camerawork?

How about the fact that it was just 2-hours of mindless nonsense filled with corny jokes and unappealing sexual displays, sometimes all rolled into one (there were two - count em, two - shots of pet dogs humping each other. Why, Michael Bay? Why?).

And on top of that, any ten year old could have written better dialogue. I was physically sick at some of the exchanges between characters.

That's why Transformers is bad. And no, I'm not just a "hater", which has become a typical response towards criticism about anything nowadays. Yes, things like cinema are ultimately objective, but let's not kid ourselves - there should be standards. Not everybody gets into or graduates from film school, and not all movies are equal. Perhaps it's proof that there's a god when someone like Michael Bay can do the first and be applauded by teenage Americans for creating masterpieces.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer

Nothing wrong with the movies? Let me rip apart the first one.

- Acting was, at best, a bunch of stuttering morons who were there for the sake of advancing what little story there was Shia LaBeouf will keep getting roles as the moron for as long as he continues his naturally ability to be one.

- There was no chemistry between any character in the entire movie. Every seen with Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf felt like it was set-up by Shia's mom who is friends with Megan's mom and wanted her socially ******** son out of the house. The progression of their relationship went from "I don't know who you are, and I have a boyfriend," to "I love you so much with all my heart!" Twilight builds relationships better than that movie did.

- CGI/Robot animations could be compared to a tornado: a lot of stuff happens, and in the end, you are left with nothing. The robots "transformed" by throwing metal pieces into the air and becoming a robot. In the cartoons, you could at least see the progression. In this, it's basically magic.

- Nearly every comic relief scene was written by someone with no sense of humor or ability to understand people. In the very beginning, a soldier was being stalked by a large robot, so he zooms in on it with his binoculars... In another scene the class laughs when he says "sextant" and "seamen," because evidently seniors in high school don't know real words? I'm not sure.

- The ending was the end of Transformers. A human, which in the cartoon was just a side role, ended Megatron. REALLY? That's not acceptable.

From what I've heard of Transformers 2, it's less story with more action. No thanks. I saw the first movie twice (yes, I gave it a second chance) for free, and I wanted a refund.

Scott!

Smash Lord
For me, it'd be Coraline, Up, HP6, and Star Trek, I think. Coraline because it was amazing. I saw it twice in one weekend. Up because it too was amazing, though far too depressing to watch a lot. HP6 because I'm a fanboy. Star Trek because it almost made me interested in the Star Trek canon, and was also a really good movie.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I haven't seen enough movies this year, so I'll just go ahead and rank all two movies I've seen in 2009.

1. Coraline
2. Monsters vs. Aliens

NukSuCao

Smash Cadet
Coraline, Wolverine, Star Trek and Bruno have all been worth paying for. Although, Wolverine was kind of disappointing. I hope they do the Lone Samurai story better.

Deadpool is coming out soon, and that sounds like a good show. I just saw the teaser for Alice and it looks amazing. 9 and District 9 both look really awesome.

nicekid76

Smash Apprentice
Crimson kingand RDK you to know ur stuff
I would keep the battle going but, I have a feeling I would lose in the end anyways.
you 2 def arent hater cuz you know everything that you dont like.
sadly i still have to say I like the movie , and your but I understand why you to hated it.

XanderXander72

Smash Rookie
Well, you asking me what movie I think is the best I've seen this year so this means there is no year limit, which I would have to say between The Wrestler, Gran Torino, Watchmen and Fight Club.
I'd agree with Gran Torino and Watchmen, I thought they were both really good

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
My favorite movies this year are:
3) Harry Potter
2) Watchmen
1) UP!!!

Yes a pixar movie is my favorite... It was an awesome movie... Perhaps my favorite animated movie EVER!!!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The worst of 2009?
Only one movie can take that honor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo-gGes6qig
That was better than everything ever.

Unrelated: Are people under the impression that Gran Torino and Watchmen came out this year? Because they didn't. And neither did Coraline. :ohwell: Also, anyone who has mentioned Up as their favorite or at least on their list gets a theoretical gold star from me. Smiles!

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
That was better than everything ever.

Unrelated: Are people under the impression that Gran Torino and Watchmen came out this year? Because they didn't. And neither did Coraline. :ohwell: Also, anyone who has mentioned Up as their favorite or at least on their list gets a theoretical gold star from me. Smiles!
Where I live, Watchmen was released on March 6, 2009. It's somewhat easy to remember as 3-6-9. Conversely, Gran Torino and the Wrestler date back to December of '008.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Star Trek '09 made it onto my top 5 movies of all time

Watchmen was terrific, to me. I know some people didn't like it, but I surely enjoyed it.

Transformers 2 was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Crimson King's post is right the hell on.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Uh,Coraline came out February 6th, 2009. Watchmen came out a month later on March 6th, 2009.

Anyways, after reviewing a list of all the movies that came out this year, this is what I saw:

-My Bloody Valentine
-Paul Blart: Mall Cop
-Taken
-Push
-Watchmen
-I Love You, Man
-Knowing
-12 Rounds
-Fast & Furious
-Observe and Report
-Obsessed
-X-Men
-Star Trek
-Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian
-Drag me to Hell
-Up
-Transformers 2

And of that list, my faves were:

-Star Trek: I never watched an ounce of Star Trek in my life, but I still really enjoyed the movie.
-Up: Simply amazing, but I thought Wall-E was better (doesnt mean Up is bad at all though!)
-Watchmen: Yeah it has it's flaws, but I still think it was a good movie, and I read the comic afterwards so maybe that made it seem better.
-Taken: Just a really good action flick, and Liam Neeson is just too good in this movie :chuckle:

The worst though....:
-Observe and Report: What I saw was totally not what I expected from this movie, and I ended up groaning and cringing more than laughing, I maybe chuckled once
-12 Rounds: Got dragged to this by my family, and it was just pretty stupid really.
-Transformers2: 30 minutes too long, and was really just one big, loud Michael Bay action orgasm.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Either Wolverine or Transformers 2.

Trans.2 had the action and of course it had some good story build up for a new character introduced (The Fallen, if not already revealed already). Although I thought how fast the battle between The Fallen and Op. sucked b/c one it was way too fast.

Wolverine Origins was pretty good, however the very end of the credits reveals that Deadpool didn't die and just simply reattached his head (kinda lame in my opinion). Now the only thing I have a problem understanding is how they're gonna incorporate the return of Professor X and Deadpool's return in one action packed movie. Better be one hell of a good story make I tell ya that.

Oh and even though itz not out yet, Halloween 2 may makes itz mark as the best.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Uh,Coraline came out February 6th, 2009. Watchmen came out a month later on March 6th, 2009.
I don't know where the hell my brain was. I was convinced I saw both of those movies last November, but you're totally right. I think I just don't consider good movies to come out in the beginning of the year, so when they do, I just end up lumping them into the previous fall movie season. To me, it feels like 2009 movies didn't start until a couple months ago.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Idk...most movies now dont even make since...but probably G.I.JOE when it come out
That movie besides Astro Boy is a must see for me due to me being huge fans of G.I. Joe and Astro Boy ever since I was born, they also look promising as well. I will definitely watch those movies when they release them.

day-day

Smash Ace
I could never get into Astroboy..
I had a big problem with X-men origins: wolverine..Most folks complain about Sabertooth and wolverine being half-brothers but what really irked me was how they used deathpool. I never heard of him until Marvel: Ultimate Alliance where he was in my party along with Spidey, Venom, and Storm. Deadpool could have gotten a movie or franchise on his own but they pretty much turned him into a lumbering giant while being controlled..Biggest waste of a marvel character ever..even more then Venom..I know he survived getting his head cut off but what's he gonna do now? Go after Wolverine?
Can't wait for Halloween II or Final Destination 4 though. Might see one then sneak into the other cause they both look good.
Does anyone agree that this needs to be the last saw movie this year?

Top Bottom