• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

being out matched by your main and then...

great_navi

Smash Rookie
Who else here loves it when you're on for glory and you're playing someone, maybe you've gotten a couple wins in, then they use your main ditto, beat you, (most likely by a hair) then leave.

Who here HATES THIS WITH A BURNING PASSION and who here is guilty of this?

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I mostly win these kinds of matches, but I have lost a few because for me, mirrors are just really awkward.

Might as well get used to it cause you'll probably see some more in the future.

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
Kinda rare I see other Peach users so this isn't a problem for me. But on the chance I do fight a clone, I win most of the time. However, I do hate mirror matchups more than uneven matchups.

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
I find it amusing that someone will get salty enough to try to beat me with Peach.
I'm good at the ditto, but I find it boring to play in general.
Most of the time, randoms on For Glory don't know what they're doing with her.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am not the best Villager and Pikmin & Olimar player out there, so I am not bothered by losing against my mains. To be fair, I rarely see any other Pikmin & Olimar mains online and Villager, considering how good she is and how popular Animal Crossing is, is quite rare to find as well.

Last edited:

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
I am a Link main, and we as a people receive plenty of hate just because we exist. 9/10 times if I win a match with Link and I used any of his specials during the match, I'll get a negative reaction. One of them is the saltiest of dittos where the opponent just back rolls and throws crap the entire match. I usually still win. I'll be honest though, I've dropped games to these jerks before.

Nah

Smash Champion
Usually that's not the case for me. Usually when people switch to Robin after I've beaten them with her they still lose anyway because, like Mikey Da Bawse said in regards to Peach, most FG randoms have zero idea how to use Robin.

What's the more common occurrence is that I'll run into someone who is much more skilled than I am, they'll beat me, and then switch to Robin and beat me again.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I rarely ever lose a 1v1 FG mirror match as Link. I've played the character for about 4 years so it's amusing when people think all you do is just spam and swing your sword randomly.

There's nothing more satisfying than absolutely crushing someone who thinks they can 1-up you with your own character.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not a fan of ditto matches myself because, like ArcanaXIII ArcanaXIII said, they tend to be pretty awkward.

I have not encountered anyone who would switch to whichever one of my mains I used to beat them to try to beat me with recently. Of course, this sort of thing did happen to me before but that was a long time ago, before DLC was implemented into the game.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Villager dittos are a lot of fun, with the inclusion of Pocket, so I'm always glad to get into those.
Beaten plenty of worse Villagers, and been beaten by a few way better Villagers. I learned a lot and had fun from all of it.

Link dittos are just annoying though, at least if the other person doesn't know how to Link and just " lol arrow boomerang roll. "
Which isn't HARD to beat, especially, just annoying and not fun.

Oh, but Kirby dittos can be either. If it's a great Kirby, like this guy named James I met on FG, it can be hilarious and exciting. We played like 20+ matches together, trading wins, we were about the same skill level, it was one of the best sets I've ever played. Sometimes we'd be swapping d-tilts to nair to grab combos, and other times we'd stop and do the Kirby dance side-by-side! Those are the moments I look for on Smash 4.

But then you have the people who don't know Kirby has any other moves but dair, stone, hammer, and sword. ;_;
Such a waste of Kirby. Such a waste..

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely hate it. As a Ness main, I tend to struggle against other Ness, but I notice I do a lot better with my secondary against Ness. So whenever I lose as Ness and they leave, it bothers me because I can't help but feel they're thinking "I knew it. Ness is cheap" when in reality, I just can't do Ness ditto matches, yet I can with my secondary.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I get this semi-often, mostly with 'Dorf or Robin who are my secondaries, but still time to time with Koops. Honestly, I don't mind when people start a mirror match - but losing these matches is kinda disheartening when the other player blatantly has no idea how to play the chara- oh my god, stop picking up mechakoopas, stop trying Ganoncide, and use the damned Levin sword (f*** Thoron)... Yeah, that.

I do like mirrors though, so if I actually play the character, I will swap to them regardless of outcome, especially against a competent opponent. Even against a poor one, just because I like the idea of an even playing field or showing off your play style. Plus you get to learn how other people play, and pick up tricks from them too (If they're not awful.). I'll never forget learning some effective Nosferatu mix-ups from the only good Robin player I've ever been against in FG (Bonus points for first match mirror anyway.).

great_navi

Smash Rookie
I am a Link main, and we as a people receive plenty of hate just because we exist. 9/10 times if I win a match with Link and I used any of his specials during the match, I'll get a negative reaction. One of them is the saltiest of dittos where the opponent just back rolls and throws crap the entire match. I usually still win. I'll be honest though, I've dropped games to these jerks before.
Hey man, as long as YOU'RE not the guy camping and spamming projectiles than that's all that matters. I think people are so negative to link players because 90% of link mains, don't play link correctly and it puts a bad rep on him. Link has a lot of potential to be a good player but most people who use him are the "I'm a huge zelda fan but don't know how to play smash for ****" kind of people. Cheers.

great_navi

Smash Rookie
I get this semi-often, mostly with 'Dorf or Robin who are my secondaries, but still time to time with Koops. Honestly, I don't mind when people start a mirror match - but losing these matches is kinda disheartening when the other player blatantly has no idea how to play the chara- oh my god, stop picking up mechakoopas, stop trying Ganoncide, and use the damned Levin sword (f*** Thoron)... Yeah, that.

I do like mirrors though, so if I actually play the character, I will swap to them regardless of outcome, especially against a competent opponent. Even against a poor one, just because I like the idea of an even playing field or showing off your play style. Plus you get to learn how other people play, and pick up tricks from them too (If they're not awful.). I'll never forget learning some effective Nosferatu mix-ups from the only good Robin player I've ever been against in FG (Bonus points for first match mirror anyway.).
Haha I feel you. One good thing about fighting mirrors though is one of two things is going to happen. Either 1, you're going to win and make the other player feel dumb for challenging your main.

Or 2, the other player is going to play your character better than you and you'll get to save the replay(s) and study his Gameplay and most likely learn a new way to play your main.

OR I guess like you kinda said, they can win with really stale, cheap moves and that just...kills me

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I've only had one instance where my opponent intentionally picked Shulk after I beat him.

...It was pretty obvious the guy had NO IDEA how to use Shulk. Easy JV3 that lasted only 30 seconds. I wouldn't even call that a fight.

Most ditto matches I face happen to be coincidental in which the first match I play with someone, they just happen to pick the character I'm using. Those ones are actually pretty fun.

link2702

Smash Champion
I use link c.falcon and Shulk. out of all of em Shulk is the least common I find. I tend to use ryu a lot as well but he's not one of my mains. In most situations if I beat them they tend to try pick my character against me. Only draw back is sometimes I pick a character I'm unfamiliar with after winning, occasionally trying to pick theirs if I beat them bad enough in order to taunt them, sometimes it works other times it backfires on me....

On A side note, I find it funny how people complain about links who camp when that is exactly how he was meant to be played. Link was always a projectile camper, to complain about link camping is like complaining about a rush down character never giving you breathing room and always putting the pressure on you, it's how the characters are designed, complaining about it makes no sense. If anything people should complain about links who DON'T camp, as they're the ones using link incorrectly, and it's almost insulting as it's basically like handicapping themselves and not playing the character at their full potential

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It doesn't bother me when somebody switches to my main Ryu and beats me with him. Ryu is not a threat if the player using him doesn't know how to use any of his moves properly, so most salty dittos I run into are extremely boring and easy. The good ones on the other hand are extremely fun to fight.

The answer the other part of your question, of course it is somewhat annoying to run into players who leave after only beating you with your own main once, but what can you do? They may have had something pop up in real life and had to leave right then, plus if they were a jerk I wouldn't want them to stay anyways.

LordMudkip

Smash Rookie
NNID
Oblivion93
I always just kinda assume we have the same main and they were just experimenting with another character before. Rosalina isn't a character you can just pick up use effectively. If they beat me with her, they've spent time working with her.

As a Rosalina main, I actually love dittos. It's so uncommon to run into another Rosalina that's actually good, it's really a treat when I find one that's a challenge. I feel like they're great practice and I learn a lot from them, so win or lose I just enjoy the fight.

As for doing it myself, I usually don't. If I'm playing around with other characters and I run into someone using one of my mains, I'll switch for dittos. Only time I'd do it and leave is if someone is just being terrible with their character and really obnoxious. Like, I switch and show them how the character is actually used so they can understand how disgraceful they are, then leave.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I'm totally guilty of swapping characters, provided my opponent is playing as someone I know how to play. However, I switch characters solely because I love playing dittos, especially if the opponent proves their competence with our respective character(s).

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
On A side note, I find it funny how people complain about links who camp when that is exactly how he was meant to be played.
lol at this post. You're probably one of those people who think Link's aerials are useless, too. Pfft.
But no, lol, no character in Smash 4 was designed to stay at one edge of the stage and spam projectiles all day every day.

Link's projectiles are for spacing. Not for spamming and rolling away. His bombs also have a myriad of different uses. You probably only think they can be thrown, right? lol it's okay, I used to think the exact same way, so I do get where you're coming from.

Spacing is not camping.
They're very different things.

Maybe you should take a look at the Smash Dictionary? It's really useful for people just learning about fighting game terms. Really nicely written. No, seriously, it's a great guide that everyone should read, I'm not just saying that. Helped me improve as well.

I also recommend Izaw's Art of Link and gameplay videos as a good watch on the potential Link has in Smash 4.

Also Conn1496 Conn1496 Yeah, why do people abuse Thoron so much? It's pretty weird.

On topic:

Fought an amazing Villager today, I'm not sure I'll ever be up to their level. It's like they read my mind. I've fought higher skilled villagers before but this was something else. They knew exactly when I was going to slingshot, rocket, and even pocketed my bowling ball and used it to combo me later! They took my second stock without damage on their last life. I only managed to kill them by getting a lucky turnip spike. Matches like those, man..

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
lol at this post. You're probably one of those people who think Link's aerials are useless, too. Pfft.
But no, lol, no character in Smash 4 was designed to stay at one edge of the stage and spam projectiles all day every day.

Link's projectiles are for spacing. Not for spamming and rolling away. His bombs also have a myriad of different uses. You probably only think they can be thrown, right? lol it's okay, I used to think the exact same way, so I do get where you're coming from.

Spacing is not camping.
They're very different things.

Maybe you should take a look at the Smash Dictionary? It's really useful for people just learning about fighting game terms. Really nicely written. No, seriously, it's a great guide that everyone should read, I'm not just saying that. Helped me improve as well.

I also recommend Izaw's Art of Link and gameplay videos as a good watch on the potential Link has in Smash 4.

Also Conn1496 Conn1496 Yeah, why do people abuse Thoron so much? It's pretty weird.

On topic:

Fought an amazing Villager today, I'm not sure I'll ever be up to their level. It's like they read my mind. I've fought higher skilled villagers before but this was something else. They knew exactly when I was going to slingshot, rocket, and even pocketed my bowling ball and used it to combo me later! They took my second stock without damage on their last life. I only managed to kill them by getting a lucky turnip spike. Matches like those, man..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wThw4J3eE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUzf6rzZBVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbeSxD4RvyE

suggest you come back when you learn how to play link. His projectiles are meant to force folks to approach, put pressure on em, and limit their options as they come to you, aka camping them to force them where I want them, which is exactly what I did in those videos there (also fun fact about em, they shut down your little assumption that I don't know how to use link's aerials, way to make baseless assumptions there kid,). In fact after camping that mario so hard in the first video, I put him in a blind rage later on in the match, further putting him where I wanted him, as he started to rush in madly and predictably, exactly how a projectile camper is supposed to work.

pretty much each opponent there had to get past my wall of projectiles and doing so limited a lot of what they could do, had I rushed in like a madman i would of only handicapped myself.
Link is meant to camp people, he's meant to force them to come to him.

I would of expected a villager main of all people to know that certain characters are meant to be campers.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Kinda rare I see other Peach users so this isn't a problem for me. But on the chance I do fight a clone, I win most of the time. However, I do hate mirror matchups more than uneven matchups.
I agree. The Peach ditto is kind of difficult to deal with if the other player know what he/she is doing. I usually win because they're more easily susceptible to the "Peach rage" effect and most are not that experienced with Peach dittos. It means that they get impatient and angry and it becomes very apparent in their play style and that's when I just bait and bait and bait. :042:

When I played Peach VS. Peach, I was like, "F*UCK HER WHY THE HELL DOES HER F-AIR DO THAT? LOL."

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
yeah, it happened to me when i played on FG a lot
i usually won in a Robin ditto.
i found that if i used Lucina on there, a lot of people would switch to Marth if I beat them...didn't usually work out in their favour but i find that matchup to be really fun regardless

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Because they think any attack that can be charged should always be fully charged before being used, which... Yeah, I honestly dunno either. Thunder is kinda a weird case in that it's like 4 different, though similar moves, each with their own wildly different uses, but people who pick Robin and don't know the character just obviously don't know that. Sure Thoron "does the most damage", but it's not the most damaging - if that makes sense.

-it's kinda like Pac-Man's bonus fruit. People who are bad as him will charge to key even when it's detrimental to do so. Because the last one is always the best, right?

Link is meant to camp people, he's meant to force them to come to him.

I would of expected a villager main of all people to know that certain characters are meant to be campers.
What you're saying here is basically that Link is a character who is meant to space the opponent... Not spam, or camp, or whatever you think it's called. Link is more than capable in close range, he's just not designed solely for it. Infact, it's usually best to use these as a last resort or final blow (Since his projectiles are lousy/barely kill moves, though faster and safer for damaging.). I mean, damn... You have used Link's smash attacks, right?

Spacing is not camping.
So, yeah, this.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Because they think any attack that can be charged should always be fully charged before being used, which... Yeah, I honestly dunno either. Thunder is kinda a weird case in that it's like 4 different, though similar moves, each with their own wildly different uses, but people who pick Robin and don't know the character just obviously don't know that. Sure Thoron "does the most damage", but it's not the most damaging - if that makes sense.

-it's kinda like Pac-Man's bonus fruit. People who are bad as him will charge to key even when it's detrimental to do so. Because the last one is always the best, right?

What you're saying here is basically that Link is a character who is meant to space the opponent... Not spam, or camp, or whatever you think it's called. Link is more than capable in close range, he's just not designed solely for it. Infact, it's usually best to use these as a last resort or final blow (Since his projectiles are lousy/barely kill moves, though faster and safer for damaging.). I mean, damn... You have used Link's smash attacks, right?

So, yeah, this.
I think you guys are getting general spacing which is what you should be doing in all situations with any character, and camping confused. Spacing yourself just means putting yourself in the optimal position at all times, whether you're approaching or not, camping means to deliberately make a wall that the opponent is forced to come through, usually with projectiles, in hopes of punishing that approach. If the opponent can't break through that wall and you're in the lead or even, you have no reason to stop it which is exactly how link is designed to be played, link has no reason to approach except under certain situations such as against characters with strong reflectors.

You two would also do well to quit jumping to baseless assumptions such saying someone must not know how to use their characters aerials and smashes, when my videos, especially the Mario one debunk those arguments really quick

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
-quote snip bc I don't wanna take up space-
For starters, regarding the whole "smashes" thing, I never said you didn't know how to use them, it was more of a "Damn, Link's smashes are good." statement. Thought I'd get that out of the way first since I honestly didn't mean to offend.

-and really, I don't see how forcing an approach is really camping. Especially when there's a fair few instances where you simply can't, even as the spammiest projectile user ever (Spamus anyone? lololol). If a character's optimum range just so happens to be far enough to throw waves of projectiles out, so be it. As for the specific example of Link, I don't really see him as a character that absoloutely has to force an approach anyway. Bombs more than often can give openings for strong close ranged knockbacks and strings that can net you safer positions or even early stocks. Link has a sword for a reason, which... -just so happens that he's good at close range too. -again, his range game is better, but you can't just stand there and rely on it since it rarely kills, which is why he's not a solely "camper" character.

...-anyway! -back on topic, since I actually have something to add related to the actual thread.
I'm starting to get really peeved at people who basically pseudo-mirror me. I'm totally fine with mirror matches, as I said before, but picking Fox against my Falco or Mario against my Doc and then assuming you know my character better than me is just kinda insulting. The worst is definately the whole Captain Falcon vs Ganondorf thing though. -since, let's face it, they play completely different.
As I said before I like playing mirrors because it's a level playing field, and assuming because you chose a similar character the match will be totally even is pretty warped logic. I'd be totally fine if you kicked me into next week as the same character, but... -y'know, it helps if those people actually mirror me instead of picking someone kinda like mine.

Zer0Shade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zer0Shade
3DS FC
0104-0338-8112
I don't really get mad when people try to do a salty ditto with my main:4lucario:.

Mostly because these For Glory scrubs don't even know how to use him.
They think that Lucario is easy character to use because of the massive damage he gets at high aura and then proceed to get two stocked for failing to land any of the killing blows.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I suppose it depends on the situation really.

I always hate to assume things about my opponent because the fact of the matter is you usually cannot tell what their intent is unless they're absolutely obvious about it. Chances are they could very well main that character too and it's not like they are forbidden to use the same character as you. So I guess it really depends on how obvious they are in terms of dishing out disrespect.

There have been times where some For Glory matches have started out as Mirror Matches, and said Mirror Matches will continue until one of us decides to change. There are also times where I've encountered someone who mains one of my mains, and I eventually switch to said main. I'm not doing it out of disrespect or trying to prove I am better than them, I just wanted to play as that character.

King Dedede as well as ROB are the best mains I have. If no other character works then I'm going to switch to them even if you are playing as that character. There's no rule that says I cannot and again, I'm not trying to do it to be rude. If they see it that way then well...

I guess that's their problem.

There have indeed been instances where I questioned someones motive for it, or knew outright what they were trying to do. And yes, there have been instances where someone switched to a character I was using and then left. Peach was a main of mine in Melee, and although I don't use her much at all anymore I still tend to use her as a secondary more or less when I feel adventurous enough.

I lost horribly against someone as Peach, who then proceeded to use Peach against me, two stock me, then leave. He didn't taunt or insult though, so who says he was trying to be disrespectful about it? They obviously knew how to use Peach so perhaps he was just trying to show me how she should really be used. Whose to say? Maybe I just don't take things as seriously as others.

In short, unless they strictly obvious about disrespecting me with my own main then I simply don't care.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Women VS Women players with Women VS Women characters on FG are very fun. I always friended them afterwards!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Who is that piece of deliciousness on your avatar? :redface:
Clark Steel from the "The King of Fighter" games. More especially, this artwork is from The King of Fighters XIII. :colorful:

D

Deleted member

Well that was a very awkward conversation I just witnessed

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
L link2702
I did make some groundless assumptions, I apologize for those. Though I was actually laughing, I guess it came off as offensive. It's hard to differentiate on the internet. However about the topic, I didn't see any camping in your videos, just spacing.
I guess we use the terms very differently. It's funny we were even arguing, as our playstyles of Link are extremely similar. The only big difference I see between us is you zair a lot more. I saw a couple of mistakes in your play that I've committed before.
You even start a Ness fight the same way I do, with a bomb bait to grab.

I call what you're doing spacing, and you call it camping. Most people refer to camping as the 'sit on one edge of the stage and fire projectiles all day, then roll away to the other end' kind of people, so that's what I was going off of.
No offense meant.

Clark looks a lot like that guy from SF. I thought that's who it was, haha.

I'm thinking of buying Ryu so I can get beaten by a Ryu main, as per topic. It sounds like fun. In other news, I got beaten by a Peach today, who was better at mixing up their float game than I was.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Guilty of this. Honestly, can't stand getting rekt from my own main when playing as someone else but being able to rekt that same FG person again with the same main in a ditto is just so much satisfying.

Then I leave right after :awesome:

Not going to be a douche but overall, events like this show that I still need to improve and that you can always do better.. even if you're not using your main.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
Who else here loves it when you're on for glory and you're playing someone, maybe you've gotten a couple wins in, then they use your main ditto, beat you, (most likely by a hair) then leave.

Who here HATES THIS WITH A BURNING PASSION and who here is guilty of this?
I've had this happen before, I just get annoyed when they leave after they beat me when the game is VERY close... It's not often that I can find players who are on an equal skill level so I want to play as many matches as possible because it's a lot of fun!!

Also, I find it pretty funny when my opponent switches to my main R.O.B and does not understand how to do anything aside from Gyro and laser....

Kokiri.Hylian

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hylian_is_back
Ekh, I hate this with burninng passion. I wanna murder the user sometimes. The worst thing is I Used to play a good Toon Link, with out using my b moves. (Ok, the occasional Boomerang here and there.) But I got beat by a CAMPY TOON LINK. And that's why I play Falco and Marth now. Thanks campy FG Toon Links, you ruined my favorite character!

Top Bottom