• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Damage confirmed?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Theres one thing that might happen

Do you guys relize whats going to happen with ZSS battle damage (when some 10 year olds find out what her battle damage is.)

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus battle damage is obviously going to be her Jet Boots leaking out fluid. What, were you thinking it would be otherwise? Wow...

Khao

Smash Lord
I honestly really doubt this is battle damage. If you ask me, I'd say he always has those scratches, and we just can't see them on some screenshots because the light just isn't hitting from the right direction. (in most screenshots you can easily see the shoulder scratches, the foot is only properly shown in like, two, and I'm honestly not seeing anything in the mask.)

I mean, why the heck would they bother implementing freaking battle damage and make such subtle, almost invisible changes to the character? They would definitely make a bigger deal out of it and exaggerate them more if they actually added it into the game, this is the kind of thing you'd want players to notice mid-gameplay.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I honestly really doubt this is battle damage. If you ask me, I'd say he always has those scratches, and we just can't see them on some screenshots because the light just isn't hitting from the right direction. (in most screenshots you can easily see the shoulder scratches, the foot is only properly shown in like, two, and I'm honestly not seeing anything in the mask.)

I mean, why the heck would they bother implementing freaking battle damage and make such subtle, almost invisible changes to the character? They would definitely make a bigger deal out of it and exaggerate them more if they actually added it into the game, this is the kind of thing you'd want players to notice mid-gameplay.
That's what I'm thinking. That's such a small, insignificant thing to put in the game. As for Little Mac, why the heck would a bandage and bruise appear out of nowhere? Doesn't make sense, it's definitely just for his screen KO.

Erryone move on. I don't believe this to be true. Battle damage ain't confirmed at all.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's not battle damage, it's engravings on Meta Knight's shoulder pad on his right shoulder pad just like how on the left shoulder pad Meta Knight has a "M" engraved on it.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yep, probably didn't appear in the E3 demo because it wasn't ready yet, but it's definitely happening.
Curious to know what Mr. Game & Watch will look like when damaged.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Meta Knight has "battle damage", I think it'll be more like a cracked sword, a cracked mask, a cape with cuts (Batman gets that a lot; the Arkham games all have that), etc. for Meta Knight with how battle damage looks on it than just a simple engraving.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
If that's battle damage I think they need to go back to the drawing board. If you need closeup stills for comparison to even notice it why even have "battle dmg" at all?

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra

It could be early screens or developments of battle damage when they're still testing it out, but I guess we can't tell at the point considering how small these details of battle damage are, so you are right that we can't confirm this as of yet. But it's nice to have some speculation right? :D

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord

I agree. Those scratches show up in a decent amount of the shots, enough so that I think it's just a design choice. Good attention to detail.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It could be early screens or developments of battle damage when they're still testing it out, but I guess we can't tell at the point considering how small these details of battle damage are, so you are right that we can't confirm this as of yet. But it's nice to have some speculation right? :D
I really love if they added battle damage to some of the characters, when Sakurai revealed that characters will have steam when they have high damage, I thought:Why did you add steam instead battle damage?

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Nice little detail! I wouldn't really notice though...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i feel like what's more likely is either you simply can't see them from the lighting in some of the pics

or they added it into his model after having previously taken some of the screens.

D

Deleted member 245254

The details seem too small to even notice during an actual fight so idk.

But then again this is Nintendo so I can't expect Mortal Kombat levels of battle damage
Well they gave Lucina her naga eye too so it's really not all that strange to assume that subtle is kinda what they are going for.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Well they gave Lucina her naga eye too so it's really not all that strange to assume that subtle is kinda what they are going for.
Yeah I thought about that too. It's kinda hard to appreciate something that you'll most likely never see or notice. I guess just appreciate the fact that it's there.

Raph_the_Great

Smash Apprentice
That's awesome! If Meta-Knight has it, then most likely Marth, Ike, Lucina, Mega Man, Samus etc. will get it too.

Hah, maybe Samus or Mega Man might have some wires sticking out/small breaks in their armour.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
Holy crap, you're right. I think this just downright confirms battle damage then. I'm surprised Mario doesn't have ANY battle damage on his clothes... from what I can see anyway. Maybe it's hidden somewhere...
Actually, it does not. He could simply have that bandage only for when he hits the screen as a cute little detail. He doesn't have that bandage in any other pictures.

Personally, I think it's too soon to say but it would be cool.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Zero Suit Samus battle damage is obviously going to be her Jet Boots leaking out fluid. What, were you thinking it would be otherwise? Wow...
Obviously her boots would get chipped. Maybe she'd end up with part of her ponytail cut off. Maybe she'd make like Little Mac and get a bandage.

Kirby would obviously get a bandage (he does that in Kirby Triple Deluxe whenever a stage hazard slams him into the screen).

Peach would have soot on her gloves and maybe that gem on her dress would get cracked.
Rosalina's crown would get chipped. (And we've already seen she has two black eyes when she gets screen KO'd.)
Like Peach, Zelda would have soot on her gloves. Also maybe that gem in her tiara would get damaged, or one of her braids would get cut.
(See? It's easy to give female characters battle damage without getting fanservice involved.)

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Lol. I don't like the idea of cut hair for battle damage though. That's a bit...harsh? Morbid? Can't find the right word. I'd favor disheveled hair as battle damage over that.

Like Zero Suit Samus would lose her hair band and all her hair would let down. Same with Zelda, her hair bands could fall and her hair will let loose.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Obviously her boots would get chipped. Maybe she'd end up with part of her ponytail cut off. Maybe she'd make like Little Mac and get a bandage.

Kirby would obviously get a bandage (he does that in Kirby Triple Deluxe whenever a stage hazard slams him into the screen).

Peach would have soot on her gloves and maybe that gem on her dress would get cracked.
Rosalina's crown would get chipped. (And we've already seen she has two black eyes when she gets screen KO'd.)
Like Peach, Zelda would have soot on her gloves. Also maybe that gem in her tiara would get damaged, or one of her braids would get cut.
(See? It's easy to give female characters battle damage without getting fanservice involved.)
Zamus's suit could also get scorch marks on it. That'd allow for more visibility without going down the fanservice path.

Top Bottom