• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Damage confirmed?

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
This was brought up in the Meta Knight discussion, but I decided to bring it up here so look at the image below...

Look at the left (our left) shoulder pad, his mask, and his left foot. The equipment here seems to be scratched and dented quite heavily. But if you look at the picture below...

His equipment is perfectly fine! This can possibly confirm battle damage, it's a sweet detail that's for sure.

What do you guys think?

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I feel like it could just be a effect of his smash, but at the same time I wouldn't doubt it since it would be weird to switch out the texture for something so small on a final smash then switch it back after.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
That scratch appears in another picture which isn't in final smash form so I guess there could be battle damage.

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra

INs4niTY- is certainly correct, as shown in this picture. I'm surprised that the Battle Damage is more notable on Meta Knight. Now I want to see what the other characters armor and clothes look like after taking a beating.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it was speculated with a Lil Mac PoTD a while back, he had a bandage and light bruising on his face.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Mind if you tell me which PoTD this was? Sorry, I have a terrible memory, but if that is true, then I think this hits the nail about battle damage.
Looking for it, didn't see it on the Miiverse fan page, but I'll be sure to post it when I find it. Im certain it was a picture about screen KOs, with Mario and Mac hitting the screen.

EDIT: Found it:

For comparison

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
That would be an interesting development, it sure looks like this is the case.

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
Looking for it, didn't see it on the Miiverse fan page, but I'll be sure to post it when I find it. Im certain it was a picture about screen KOs, with Mario and Mac hitting the screen.

EDIT: Found it:

For comparison
Holy crap, you're right. I think this just downright confirms battle damage then. I'm surprised Mario doesn't have ANY battle damage on his clothes... from what I can see anyway. Maybe it's hidden somewhere...

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, you're right. I think this just downright confirms battle damage then. I'm surprised Mario doesn't have ANY battle damage on his clothes... from what I can see anyway. Maybe it's hidden somewhere...
Maybe they were still working it out at the time of the picture. Or who ever played as Mario really sucked.
I know it was a concept they were trying out for Brawl but never added to the final product, so I'm glad its in this one, its a nice little touch.

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
Maybe they were still working it out at the time of the picture. Or who ever played as Mario really sucked.
I know it was a concept they were trying out for Brawl but never added to the final product, so I'm glad its in this one, its a nice little touch.
The realism is looking strong :') I'm glad to see it myself.
On the topic of Battle Damage, I'm actually quite curious with how characters like Kirby, Bowser (any of the animal like characters really) will look with battle damage. Bandages? Small cuts? This is actually getting quite interesting to see how characters look all beat up :o

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Could be the case that only certain characters will have visible battle damage.
More serious characters or that have an overall fighter attitude like Meta Knight or Little Mac.
Yoshi, Peach, Mario, Pikachu, or Kirby with scars or cobbles? That doesn't feel right to me.

Last edited:

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
That's also a possibility, that it isn't everyone.

But if it is for everyone, itt could be minor things; a tear in clothing, scrapes and bruises, cracks in armor and visors.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
More serious characters or that have an overall fighter attitude like Meta Knight or Little Mac.
Yoshi, Peach, Mario, Pikachu, or Kirby with scars or cobbles? That doesn't feel right to me.
Don't forget Captain Falcon's helmet, as it had battle damage textures in Brawl.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I just wonder how they would show battle damage on characters like Kirby, Peach, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja and you know the rest. For some of these its a matter of how will they show battle damage and for the others it's easy to show but would feel kinda off in a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I just hope at extremely high damage or with Mii Fighters, it doesn't handle it like Soul Calibur IV/V and just plain make their clothes explode. Do you know how many nonhuman custom characters have been ruined mid-match because of that happening?

Last edited:

GMSTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GMSTerra
I just hope at extremely high damage or with Mii Fighters, it doesn't handle it like Soul Calibur IV/V and just plain make their clothes explode. Do you know how many nonhuman custom characters have been ruined mid-match because of that happening?
You just reminded me about exploding armours of Soul Calibur T___T

I don't think that's ever going to happen though, even if Namco did do that in Soul Calibur, it should STAY in Soul Calibur. I don't want to see a buttnaked Mario... but I guess a buttnaked Ike would show off his manly manly muscles?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You just reminded me about exploding armours of Soul Calibur T___T

I don't think that's ever going to happen though, even if Namco did do that in Soul Calibur, it should STAY in Soul Calibur. I don't want to see a buttnaked Mario... but I guess a buttnaked Ike would show off his manly manly muscles?
*CRASH*

Zero Suit Wario!

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Maybe there can be a 10% his mask can break of after he passes 120% : D

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I'm personally interested in far this could go.
From what I've seen so far, the damage isn't really that major.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
Looking back at the image where they are steaming, we don't see any battle damage, although we can't see their face. Maybe battle damage has less to do w/ the percentage (since that can decrease through health items anyways) and is actually the number of times you've died in the match? It would explain why Mario isn't damaged while Mac is in the image I posted above.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hope this is the case.

Bowser's spikes could chip. Samus's visor could crack (what if in single player it also played the low-health beep? would be so cool/annoying)... basically anyone with a chippable weapon or crackable helmet would be easy, the rest might be a bit harder to come up with.

D

Deleted member

I thought it was just a detail they added to his armor possibly as a reference to the scrapped mechanic from Brawl, but maybe it is battle damage.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
While I can see how it might seem that way, it looks to me that there are just small scratches in the texture that are amplified and exaggerated by the lighting of the final smash. Keen eye, though!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Pikachu could have those Anime-style bruises.

And also, he should have the twirly eyes when he hits the screen :D All Pokemon should, actually.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Kinda weird MK's battle damage is only noticeable when you pause the game.

Whoever saying it's confirmed should save it for later.

So far Little Mac's bandage is only seen during screen KO's.

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I could have sworn that somewhere I saw a Little Mac picture where he appeared to be covered in sweat with his hair no longer standing up like at the start. (I'm sure it wasn't Giga Mac either.)

Maybe I'll look for it.

Edit: It's possible that I could be mistaking the Brawl picture of him with that, since his hair didn't stand up there. Hm... didn't remember it looking like Brawl's bad model though.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
The details seem too small to even notice during an actual fight so idk.

But then again this is Nintendo so I can't expect Mortal Kombat levels of battle damage

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
This is awesome! More effects from taking damage other then steam. <3 This game just gets more and more complex and interesting by the hour. <3

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
So after a damage threshold, a magical bandage just appears on Little Mac's face?

Top Bottom