• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Based off empirical evidence, despringed controllers no longer work for the GCN controllers

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I'm working on a possible fix, but I was unable to get proper shoulder button function on two despringed controllers on two different Wii U's.

There's some promise in resetting to neutral at a specific setting to work around this. I'll let everyone know my findings as I find them.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Thanks a bunch! I had this issue as well with my modded GCC. Is it correct to assume that be putting the springs back in, they work properly again?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
yeah, my nonspringed controllers seem to not function unfortunately as well. had to put some springs in them to get em to work. which sucks, cuz I really like the feel of the shoulder buttons being, well, BUTTONS. Wonder if there's a way to like, cut some of the spring and get it right to the point where starting to push thusly activates the shoulders.hmm.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
yeah, my nonspringed controllers seem to not function unfortunately as well. had to put some springs in them to get em to work. which sucks, cuz I really like the feel of the shoulder buttons being, well, BUTTONS. Wonder if there's a way to like, cut some of the spring and get it right to the point where starting to push thusly activates the shoulders.hmm.
Would be easier I think to put a stem on the button component so that it triggers earlier.

option.iv

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info on this. It's kind of lame seeing as analog triggers in Smash 4 are useless. Well, at least we don't have to worry about making modded controllers tournament legal... for now.

edit: It's been a while since I opened up a Gamecube controller, do you think a stem made from let's say a segmented gluestick (the sticks for the hot glueguns) could fit in the trigger and give you the shorter actuation.

Last edited:

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Thanks for the info on this. It's kind of lame seeing as analog triggers in Smash 4 are useless. Well, at least we don't have to worry about making modded controllers tournament legal... for now.

edit: It's been a while since I opened up a Gamecube controller, do you think a stem made from let's say a segmented gluestick (the sticks for the hot glueguns) could fit in the trigger and give you the shorter actuation.
I had a wavebird open laying about, not sure if the trigger is different from wired controllers, but a gluestick would definitely be too large for it.

I think what might work better would be something like the end off an ink cartridge from a bic pen or something. a nice small diameter. The button mechanism would hold it in place nicely without having to glue it down or anything.

Or, maybe the shaft of a q-tip would be better, the rolled paper kind. should give it a nice damp feel, not too mechanical and rigid, which I feel might be a bit of an annoyance with hard plastic.
Maybe even keep the cotton on one end so that you're not skewering the silicone.

Edit: q-tips seem to work really well, but it takes a number of tries to get the length ideal.

Last edited:

option.iv

Smash Cadet
I had a wavebird open laying about, not sure if the trigger is different from wired controllers, but a gluestick would definitely be too large for it.

I think what might work better would be something like the end off an ink cartridge from a bic pen or something. a nice small diameter. The button mechanism would hold it in place nicely without having to glue it down or anything.

Or, maybe the shaft of a q-tip would be better, the rolled paper kind. should give it a nice damp feel, not too mechanical and rigid, which I feel might be a bit of an annoyance with hard plastic.
Maybe even keep the cotton on one end so that you're not skewering the silicone.

Edit: q-tips seem to work really well, but it takes a number of tries to get the length ideal.
Yeah, I was starting to think a gluestick stem would be too wide. Then started thinking about the same exact things, the bic pen cartridge or qtip. I'll have to wait on my triwings to come in from ebay though to see what's possible/feasible. I'd appreciate it if you'd post your findings on optimal length.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Theres an old topic on here about someone modding the controller to consider a full press the same as a light press, meaning no spring controller that functions like it did in brawl ^.^

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Hate to ressurect something so old, but search failed to find anything more recent and I'm not about to make a new thread for exactly the same topic.

Did anyone go ahead and do this? I'd like L trigger to be as close to a digital input as possible for more consistent use as a jump button... For... Reasons.

Ideally I'd like to see what range of options people have followed. Completely new buttons? Ghetto Q tip mods? Etc. What exact length with what placement provides what result?

If there's a significantly more recent place for this that is better suited, I apologise. I don't get out of the character boards often. The only thing since this thread that might be relevant a search for "controller spring" gave up was Kadano's mod sales thread.

Top Bottom