• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Aug 16, 2015] Salem Smashfests (Weekly) [Melee, Project M, SSB64] (Salem, Or)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So while I'm apparently on a big tournament planning/announcing spree...

Who here is going (or wanting to go) to Evo 2015?

For those of you who don't know, the Evolution Championship Series (or EVO for short) is a huge yearly Fighting Game tournament held over the course of a weekend in Las Vegas, Nevada.

There will be a number of huge-name fighting games there, and this year there are even 2 of the Smash games! (Melee & Smash 4 Wii U)
You can be sure that big names like all of the 5 (or 6, depending on who you ask) gods of Melee, Zero, Mr. R, Japanese players like Abadango and Nietono, and many more will be there to compete on the world-wide stage; trust me, it's huge.

I know there are a number of people wanting to attend from here in Salem, and I can promise you that it won't be a cheap trip if you go by yourself.

That's why we're starting Carpool and Room-share planning now!
(Also because the entry passes are over halfway sold out; you'll want the $70 entry pass most likely, so get on that!).

If we could get lists of
  • People who are going (and people who want to go but aren't sure they can)
  • People able to Carpool (gas money absolutely necessary)
  • People willing to split a hotel room and the cost
then that would be great, and the sooner the better!

People Attending:

People willing to split a hotel room and the cost:
  • Jaxas
  • gmanownyou
  • MasterFisk

Needing Carpools:
  • Jaxas
  • gmanownyou

Carpools Going:
  • MasterFisk (Likely)

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out today!

Melee Singles:
1st) Joesiedon
2nd) Jaxas
3rd) Saucy Pirate

Melee Doubles:
1st) The Cosmic Kings (Jaxas/G~Man, TCD)
2nd) Slippery Boys ;) (Saucy Pirate/Cheeze Whizard)
3rd) A Team (Alexander/Rob)

Brackets (as well as ALL FUTURE BRACKETS) can be found here!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ATTENTION SALEM SMASHFESTS!

In a bit over a month from now, on April 22nd, it will have been 1 year since the first Salem Smashfest!

To commemorate this, on the weekend of April 25th I plan on hosting a still local, but much larger tournament as a bit of a celebration!

It still won't be that big of a tournament (it'll be no SmashNest or Fight or Flight), as GameStar isn't exactly big enough for a really big one, but it'll certainly be the biggest Salem Smashfest we've had!

All entries will be $5 per person per bracket, and all brackets will be Double Elimination the whole way through.
(Seeds will be determined by past Smashfest rankings, as well)

The (tentative) schedule as of this point is:
Saturday, April 25th:
- 11:00am | Setup & Friendlies
- 12:00pm | Sm4sh Singles starts
- Pending completion of singles | Sm4sh Doubles starts
(- Pending completion of doubles | Sm4sh Triples starts?)
- 3:00 | Brawl Singles starts

Sunday, April 26th:
- 11:00am | Setup & Friendlies
- 12:00pm | Melee Singles & P:M Doubles starts
- 3:00pm | P:M Singles & Melee Doubles starts

There will (likely) be setups available for money matches to be streamed, so feel free to challenge people as well!

SO!
I need to get people's opinions on things:
- What other events do you want there? (Low-tier tournaments, crew battles, Amiibo vs Amiibo money matches, etc) Also, please note that I cannot promise we'll have time for everything requested, but I'm going to try to get as much happening as possible!
- Would people be interested in all going to Paddington's next door or something after the tournament(s)?

(Also this is going to look like I'm trying to steal SmashCon's thunder because I didn't want to post this ~3hours ago on my phone lol; seriously though I think that kind of atmosphere would be great and what I'm going for)

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie
I'd be down for a low-tier tournament. It would be a lot of fun and I never get a chance to use my pocket Ness anyway.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a heads up but we now have a Skype group for general discussion!

Post your Skype name if you want to be added, and someone will add you soon after!

Also, you should be able to just join the Skype group by following this link (in Skype I'm assuming? It's what I get when I click "copy conversation link"), so if you can make this work do that!

skype:?chat&blob=I03ohmnaBN7AtHzHV22gwEJx0bZ6NS1rbgVVuxOuqNnT64AybGY8izsEkH8jy-wHE8Qo-T80vQ9Wuf1_uvk

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Is anyone carpooling through Salem on their way to SmashNest v4? We have 5 (or more) people in need of rides up there this Saturday!

Kid1999

Smash Rookie
Do you rotate through which games are played (smash64, melee, brawl, PM, sm4sh) or are all games featured every week, but only the ones listed in tournament play??

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Do you rotate through which games are played (smash64, melee, brawl, PM, sm4sh) or are all games featured every week, but only the ones listed in tournament play??
We play all the smash games (except 64; more info below) every week, just on different days.
This is the thread for Mondays, which have Melee and Smash 64 (which honestly doesn't happen very often... we rely on one of our players actually bringing N64 consoles and he only shows up sometimes...), and this is the thread for Saturdays, which have Smash 4 (Wii U), Project: M, and Brawl tournaments.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, remember to head out to Gamestar today for Melee and (potentially) SSB64!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So...

Today was interesting, though I suppose that it's for the best that it was this week that only had 4 people show up (as the Lancaster GameStar was still borrowing our tables and chairs).

Anyways, I've had a lot of people say that they aren't able to make it on Mondays anymore because of School/Work/etc, so here's my question:

What days work for everyone? (Saturday isn't an option as it's already full, unfortunately).

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Alright, listen up Melee players:

I talked to the people at GameStar, and it sounds like Sunday is indeed available. As such, starting THIS UPCOMING WEEKEND, Melee will be moving to Sunday and beginning at 12:30! (Closing time for Sundays is 6:00 pm, for reference)

Again, starting 04/19, Melee will be moving to Sunday at 12:30pm. See you there!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Melee players:
Don't forget to show up to GameStar TOMORROW (Sunday) for the tournament!

Everything's still the same except the date and time: Sunday (Start: 12:30pm | End: 6:00pm)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ATTENTION EVERYONE!

The Salem Elimination Bracket is coming up soon; only a week until it's here!
I really need to have an idea of how many people will be attending though, so if you're coming please let me know, and let me know what you're entering!

Also, I'm putting together an updated schedule and everything is put together...
except for SSB64.

I need to know whether the 64 players would rather have that happen on Saturday or Sunday (it's part of the registration form anyways, please answer there).

Let me know; thanks!

http://goo.gl/forms/vLYwGR4sxj

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone who made it out to our 1-year special, the Salem Elimination Bracket; I hope everyone had a great time!
With how well this weekend ended up going, I'm hoping to get more events like this happening in the future - stay tuned for that!

Anyways, it's time for the results!

Smash 4 - Singles
1st) "His Holy Greatness the Reigning Undisputed State Champion of Oregon [Cacaw] Lord Viviff T. Great MBA"
2nd) @T1MMY
3rd) @ Jaxas Jaxas
4th) Seo

Smash 4 - Doubles
1st) State Championship Inc (Viviff T. Great MBA / @MasterFisk )
2nd) Brawl Elitists ( @T1MMY / Seo)
3rd) Shy Tales ( @9Tales / Shy)

Brawl - Singles
1st) Viviff T. Great MBA
2nd) @T1MMY
3rd) TomCat

Melee - Singles
1st) @Toller
2nd) Blake
3rd) @Saucy Pirate
4th) @ Jaxas Jaxas

Project: M - Singles
1st) Blake
2nd) @Toller
3rd) Bubbles
4th) Zeo

Project: M - Doubles
1st) Bubbles & Nick (Bubbles/Nick)
2nd) The Cosmic Kings ( @ Jaxas Jaxas / @gmanownyou )
3rd) KiddyBoo (KID/Buddy Boo)

SSB64 - Singles
1st) Branato
2nd) AO
3rd) Merlin

Unfortunately due to time constraints certain events had to be cancelled or were unable to finish (namely Sm4sh Triples, Sm4sh Quads, Brawl Doubles, Melee Doubles, SSB64 Doubles); I've taken this into account though, and in the future I'll definitely change around the schedule and the planned events to make sure we get through everything in time.

As ever, you can find the link to all the brackets on our Challonge page:
http://salemsmashfests.challonge.com/

Anyways, I would like to thank @gmanownyou , Jesse, @9Tales , Qamp, Zeno, Shy, and many, MANY others for assisting with running the event; it couldn't have gone nearly as well without their help!
Thanks to everyone who brought setups, tables, TVs, stream laptops, capture cards, power strips, and the like as well!
I'd also like to extend a special thank you to the group that brought the N64 and all the controllers today!

I am currently working on cutting up and then uploading all the recorded matches; I'll be sure to link the playlist here once it's up on Youtube!

Also, one last thing: If you have any suggestions for future tournaments (besides "don't plan way too many events in one day"; I learned that one pretty well already lol) don't hesitate to message me.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a few quick announcements!

1) I'm thinking about moving Project: M to Sunday alongside Melee for our standard weekly events; thoughts?

2) If you remember seeing us talking about making a highlight reel, but didn't see it yet, don't worry - you didn't miss anything. It's still under construction at the moment, but it will be coming out!

3) Commentary! We should now have everything we need to set up to have people provide commentary during matches!
(There is currently no way to do it without the players being able to hear, though, so anytime someone doesn't want commentary during their match just let the commentators know.)

4) The matches from the year event are still uploading; I'll link it once they're all up

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out today!

Melee Singles:
1st) Blake
2nd) @Saucy Pirate
3rd) Qamp

Melee Doubles:
1st) Foxalypse ( @Saucy Pirate / Pineapple )
2nd) The Cosmic Kings ( @ Jaxas Jaxas / @gmanownyou )

Unfortunately something went wrong with the recordings this week, and only 2 matches (the first 2 matches of swiss) were recorded. I'm going to look into what happened (because at this point I have legitimately no idea...), but I'll get those matches uploaded very soon.

Anyways, as ever you can find the brackets here:
http://salemsmashfests.challonge.com/

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, announcement time!

First up: Project: M schedule change!
Starting this Sunday (5/9/15), Project: M will be moving to Sunday to join Melee and SSB64! Both events will start at 12:30 (with sign-ups opening at around noon). I'll see you there!

2nd: Also a schedule change!
Starting this Saturday (5/8/15), Smash 4 will have its events re-ordered a bit. We'll be starting the day with Doubles instead of Singles, and Singles will start upon Doubles finishing (or 2:00pm, whichever comes first).

3rd: Brawl will now be starting at Noon on Saturdays!
Brawl will run during Sm4sh doubles now, instead of starting at 5pm.

4th: Not really important, but I figure I might as well mention it anyways.
Starting with this upcoming weekend, I'm just going to upload all the matches into a single playlist for the weekend (rather than 2 playlists, 1 for each day). Again, not super important, but might as well mention it.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, remember that the schedule is a bit different this weekend!

On Saturday, Sm4sh Doubles and Brawl Singles now start at Noon! Sm4sh Singles will be starting either once Doubles finishes or at 2:00pm (whichever comes first).

Project: M has been moved to Sunday, and will be starting at 12:30pm!

See you there!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Thanks to everyone who made it out this weekend! (I'm going to combine both day's results into one as I didn't have internet yesterday evening)

Smash 4 Singles
1st) @CutestLilLucario
2nd) Brobear
3rd) @T1MMY

Smash 4 Doubles
1st) Monado Punch (Zeno/ @CutestLilLucario )
2nd) The Super Futanari Bros (Brobear/Churro)
3rd) The Cosmic Kings (@ Jaxas Jaxas / @gmanownyou )

Melee Singles
1st) @Magnum Dragon
2nd) Pineapple
3rd) @ Jaxas Jaxas

Matches will be uploaded soon!

As ever, you can find the brackets here: http://salemsmashfests.challonge.com/

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just a reminder (or announcement if you weren't there this weekend, I suppose) that THERE WILL BE NO (Salem) TOURNAMENTS THIS WEEKEND.

Both Saturday and Sunday will not be happening due to out of town tournaments on those days, namely Smash Wars (https://www.facebook.com/events/1437864546528257/) on Saturday and Smash @ Disc Heroes (https://www.facebook.com/events/1441674156129225/) on Sunday (Sorry for the Facebook links, not sure if there even are Smashboards listings for these)

We'll be back next week though, and stay tuned throughout the week for a few announcements on things coming up in the near future!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, just wanted to fill everyone in on some new stuff that we'll be doing for the Salem Smashfests! It'll be broken up into a few different parts, but first up is...

The Salem Smashfests PR!

I've been tracking the results from the Top portion of our weeklies for every game since we've moved the brackets to Challonge.
This was originally just meant for seeding for the Salem Elimination Bracket, but since I've had a number of people ask me about making one I'll be putting together a monthly Salem Smashfests PR! (for Sm4sh, Melee, and P:M - the other games have a shot as well, however it's going to require an increase in regular attendance basically)

There will be some limitations in place to make sure it's actually regulars; these rules are as follows:
- I'm using a program based off of Microsoft's TrueSkill algorithm, set to decay results at intervals of 2 weeks (for Sm4sh, Melee, & P:M - other games will be different when/if they're added)
- To be on the PR, a player must have attended at least 3 of the last 8 weeks
- Prior to May 23rd (the most recent tournament), only results from Top were tracked. As of that date, Swiss matches are being included as well
- Ranks will be updated once a month, generally on the last day of the month

Also, if you're on the PR and want a different image of your character in future months, let me know - I used (semi) official character art this time and will be using that in the future if people don't give me other pictures for them!

Anyways, here's the current (May 2015) Salem Smashfests PR for Melee & Project: M (Smash 4 PR in the Saturday Thread):

May 2015 | Melee PR
1st) @Magnum Dragon
2nd) @Saucy Pirate
3rd) Blake
4th) @ Jaxas Jaxas
5th) Qamp

Notable Players:
6) Pineapple
7) @gmanownyou
8) Cheeze Whizard

2015-05 (May).png

May 2015 | Project: M PR

1st) Blake
2nd) Nick (Monce)
3rd) Bubbles
4th) @gmanownyou
5th) KID

Notable Players:
6) @Charey
7) @Saucy Pirate
8) Wolfy

2015-05 (May).png

Continuing the announcements, next up is...

Highlight reels!

As you may know, there's been a big First-Year Highlight Reel in the works (that was supposed to be finished in time for the Salem Elimination Bracket, but wasn't, obviously...).
That highlight reel is still being worked on (shouldn't be too much longer!), however I'm planning on also doing (bi?)monthly highlight reels; sort of a "Month in review" type deal.

I'm currently working with a few others on one for May (hopefully it'll be ready in the next few weeks), but help is always welcome! If you want to help us find highlight clips, put the video together, or anything else, please let me know!

Also, the third (and related fourth) things will be announced later this afternoon, so stay tuned for those!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So sorry I didn't actually post this yesterday, Xanadu #100 distracted me pretty dang thoroughly....

Anyways, on to the next announcement:
Streaming!

It's not quite ready yet, but within the next few weeks we should be able to start actually streaming again, rather than just recording matches and uploading them later!
The tournaments will be streamed on my channel (Twitch.tv/jaxasscarlet), so give it a follow!

It's not going to be perfect, however; Gamestar's internet still isn't good enough to stream particularly high-quality video.
However what we're going to do as a work-around for this is to record and stream the videos separately - the recordings (which will still be uploaded to Youtube) will be the same quality they've always been, while the streamed video will be sent out in a reduced quality.
This way, we get the best of both worlds (or at least as close as we can with what we've got to work with, anyways).

The next announcement will be brought to you not by me, but by @9Tales (one of our Smash 4 regulars, but don't worry - this is for all games) - watch for that one too!

Top Bottom