• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Of The Clones: A Primer On Clones And Smash

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864
Just repeating stuff us experienced players already have known. They did however, not mention the recent Marth nerf that ruined my smash 4 skills.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Honestly, Marth is probably one of the most caring FE protagonist:roll:but SSB Marth has another entirely characterization by the fans. :4robinm: is pretty OOC there, too.
Eh, it's bound to happen in Smash, though. Not everyone knows how the characters actually are and act, unfortunately.
to be fair, from what i've heard robin is the player created character so he can pretty much be characterized as whoever the player wants.(haven't played awakening though so i may be wrong and it may be a case of "yeah, this is a standard player avatar except we gave them a narrowly defined personality for you")

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
to be fair, from what i've heard robin is the player created character so he can pretty much be characterized as whoever the player wants.(haven't played awakening though so i may be wrong and it may be a case of "yeah, this is a standard player avatar except we gave them a narrowly defined personality for you")
Not really. You can only customize his appareance and his default name.
Aside from that, he has a pretty much set personality already, as in, he has in-game dialogue that you can't change or choose. All of his dialogue is already set in stone, as to say.
even going as far as becoming the protagonist at the second half of the game
The personality isn't even narrowly-set. He has pretty much a full set of quirks and traits, principally if you do all his support convos.
That's the reason most people don't like calling him a Avatar, as you can't project your own personality into him at all. People prefer to call him My Unit instead.

Last edited:

Tokis

Smash Cadet
NNID
SmashB_Tokis
3DS FC
1478-3110-1670
Marth did not need to be nerved.

D

Deleted member 278362

[ removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Red&WhiteMegaman

Smash Rookie
:4ganondorf:, :4lucas:, :4tlink:, :4falco: and :4lucario: are Edited clones, while :4lucina:,:4darkpit: and :4drmario: are clones with almost no effort put into them.

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeroMeddler
3DS FC
1633-4671-0386
Very infomative. I never knew all the differences between the Pits and Marths. With that said...

My main problem with the clones is lack of variety in their moveset. In my opinion, clones should offer more than just knockback, speed, trajectory, or slight damage differences. Why not give them moves that are unique to them to give them a bit more character(pretty much Luigifying them). I don't mind their mere existence, it's how they're handled that bothers me. With Lucas coming and possibly more DLC, seeing past clones Luigified is a possibility. I mean Mewtwo had a reflective property to his side-b added so who's to say Lucas or even Roy (if he comes back) won't be altered either.

If not, prepare to see more 3rd Marth or 2nd Ness arguments. =/

crazyninjagod

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5215-0713-5279
Hopefully more people see that Roy can and will be Luigified or even better if he returns.

If they just use the lazy excuse of "oh sakurai will just port him no need to support or want him in the game" then they're not helping or even thinking. That's what the fighter ballot and Nintendo's email are for. I'm so sick of hearing third Marth, Roy has so much going for him in FE6, its manga, and his Awakening redesign. One idea I had was a TL/Link shield since he sports the Mercenary class in Awakening, which uses a shield. The Roy support thread has ideas for days on Roy's moveset.

If you're one of those people who say "oh I dislike the idea of roy because he's going to be a 100% clone but he's cool otherwise" mention that Roy's moveset should receive a redesign that truly brings out the strengths of his gameplay fundamentals, source material, and character if he does return. Bowser/Yoshi were low tier over the years so they were completely redesigned, Mewtwo had a decent amount of animation changes and moves being fixed, and many of Pit's changes as a Brawl veteran involved him becoming more faithful to his source material and his newest game. The same happening for Roy isn't unlikely. We have examples against this like Dr. Mario (who is literally Mario in a labcoat, decloning him would make no sense) and Lucas (who was a semi clone to begin with, thanks to the article for helping show that, and he's bound to change even more since not all of Mewtwo's changes were showcased plus Lucas still has a bit to go) so I think people are just having a lazy and pessimistic mindset when it comes to Roy.
Ryu from street fighter>Roy
Wolf>Roy
Solid snake>Roy
Shrek>Roy
Shovel knight>Roy
King k rool>Roy
Ice climbers (if possible)>Roy

SuperAtrain

Smash Rookie
Give Roy better Air Game and increase his Dancing Blades' range and damage and BAM! Roy is a fresh new steaming hot piece of dlc. I know it must be extremely difficult to make characters(about a year's worth of work), but downloadable content is a huge opening of oppurtunity. Also, clones are not "taking up" slots. They just add extra. YES PLEASE.

NerfHerder19

Smash Rookie
I feel some clones are diffrent enough to stay like fox and falco. But I do understand the argument that they should not be there to begin with.

Top Bottom