• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Alex Strife TO specifics THREAD

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I’ve sat on this project for a long while. I felt like now was a good time to introduce the idea. I think a lot of things can be done better in the community as a whole but we lack knowledge. Many of our newest members need guidance. While I do think the TO Primer is a great tool I think the TO’s of this community can do a better job at helping new people contribute to the community. I think with that in mind I want to introduce this thread. This is not just an ASK ME ANYTHING thread. My goal is to help you all expand your tournaments to the best of your abilities. This way we can all have sponsored events, large influx of new players, and even learn from each other.

Remember this is for aspects of Toing not found in the Primer. I will begin with something that has gotten us a lot of exposure, Livestreaming.

As a TO we often ignore the aspect of the broadcast and focus on the event itself. While yes the tournament running well is the most important of all things to do, we still have to realize that livestreaming is here to stay. We can do a better job at putting things together. I think we need to obviously look at our two main streamers VGBC and CT. They are the two best smash-centric streams. They are the only ones producing a lot of content. I also feel that we rely solely on them to produce work. I think there are a few up and comers that can do a lot of work in this community. In the Midwest, for example, you have Ori_Bro and his group putting together great streams every event they attend. We need to find those people and get them out there.

“Smash is important to us here. If we had more content it would be a mainstay along with LoL and SCII. We love it here at Twitch”
– John Howell.

Read that quote. Getting content out there is the key thing. In order to do that we need people dedicated, and talented, to do the work. Remember you do not have to rely on the same two streamers. For example, Team Hazmat of Arizona’s FGC is ACHING to do smash events. All someone has to do from that region is contact him and you have a high quality stream with reach outside the community to gather new and old players (I mean his brother-in-law IS FORWARD after all). You also have to look around at the streamers such as Console Combat, FunkyP, 8WayRun and others and get their attention. Many of those streamers will stream anything to help out the community. Use that to your advantage and work with them.

My next section will be about how to use streamers to sell your event and gather sponsors. I will also try to layout my old sponsorship deck/presentation to help really show how to properly gather their attention.

Remember to ask questions and I will answer them as I can.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I got a shoutout :')

Good read though, definitely will post more when I think of stuff.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
How many major tourneys are you T.O for? These can be brawl only, melee only or both.

I know a really legit library room available for any group to rent for a day for free, but the place has a policy of no money involved at events hosted there. What do you think would be the best solution; free tournament, money tournament, no tournament. Personally, I feel like I should honor their guidelines and not make a money tournament

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
How many major tourneys are you T.O for? These can be brawl only, melee only or both.
I run Apex. That should KINDA be enough :D. I also run Zenith, co-to events all over Tristate and I run Youmacon in MW.

I know a really legit library room available for any group to rent for a day for free, but the place has a policy of no money involved at events hosted there. What do you think would be the best solution; free tournament, money tournament, no tournament. Personally, I feel like I should honor their guidelines and not make a money tournament
Here is the thing. For smash you do not need to have a tournament series. Have get together and fests with a recording setup to help promote the scene. Remember it is about getting new people into the scene at the local level. Yea it is at every level but your job as a local event host is to do that.

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
I run Apex. That should KINDA be enough :D. I also run Zenith, co-to events all over Tristate and I run Youmacon in MW.

Well I knew you ran Apex and Zenith which are ****ing huge. And I always see you commentating at Chibo's tourneys and I wanted to know if you hosted medium sized ones like ktar or no johns

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Yes! Streaming is very important. I agree completely with that statement. It also makes me very happy to read that quote from Mr. John. It really motivates me to keep (And improve!) what I'm doing at the moment. Right now, I'm doing my best to produce constant (Almost daily at the moment! Live streams, guides, videos and much more!) content in my TwitchTV & YouTube channels respectively. You can both check out my channels in the links below:

Livestream: www.twitch.tv/gonzalo_zero
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Chilezero

Trying my best! I've recently purchased new equipment that will allow to produce better quality content, which I'm very happy and grateful about! Tons of new opportunities that I'm very glad to have.

I love our community and I really want it to grow. I know we're capable of so much more. Let's go everyone! We can do it!
#SMASHBROS !!!

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
I really hate going to tournaments where I see a TO overwhelmed with everything going on and stressing out about it. What advice do you have for TO's who lose sleep over an upcoming tournament?

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to run monthlies at the University of Pittsburgh. However due to summer hours, we are effectively exiled until September. I do want to host a tournament sometime during the summer to break up the wait. Since we aren't getting free rooms from the school, that means we need to go into funding issues. What's the highest price that you personally would accept for a 40 man tournament?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I try to help everywhere. I can usually be seen at a TO desk lol

I really hate going to tournaments where I see a TO overwhelmed with everything going on and stressing out about it. What advice do you have for TO's who lose sleep over an upcoming tournament?
No matter what happens nerves will always cause you to stress out. It is the same as becoming a good player. Relax, focus on priorities and just go from there. Make a check list like this :

Pre-Event

- Promotion via ____
- Gather Equipment

During Event

- Registration ( who takes the money, who does the sign-ins if not you, etc )
- Set up the venue to maximize space + equipment
- Photos of people playing

Post Event

- Results
- Write-UP

Keep playing it through your head until you have it AUTOMATIC. Worst case carry an IPAD/Memo book with all the information.

I'm trying to run monthlies at the University of Pittsburgh. However due to summer hours, we are effectively exiled until September. I do want to host a tournament sometime during the summer to break up the wait. Since we aren't getting free rooms from the school, that means we need to go into funding issues. What's the highest price that you personally would accept for a 40 man tournament?
Depends on the venue itself vs what you want to make off of profit ( something I will get into after this next topic I will write tomorrow )

Remember TOs do this at a loss and TBH we have a right to break even as much as the players who enter the tournament.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
What do you mean by Write-UP?

And this is very true! I ran other series that I made no money in at all. But I was lucky to always break even except for one time.
Write-ups help promote your event. Ideally it is just an article about who won, what happened, how many entered, etc.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hey.
The scene is pretty poor in Europe, because of a language barrier that stops most out of state tournaments from happening. If you were in charge of a scene in Europe, how would you expand ?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey.
The scene is pretty poor in Europe, because of a language barrier that stops most out of state tournaments from happening. If you were in charge of a scene in Europe, how would you expand ?
Well it depends on what area you are from. I'd need to know a few things

- Location you are from.
- Location most players are from.
- How do people travel from country to country AND prices

So my good friend wanted to ask u something.

He asks, "why are all nationals on Sat.? there are some people who are pious and smash"
That is simple. Most people are off Sat.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Write-ups help promote your event. Ideally it is just an article about who won, what happened, how many entered, etc.
This is a big thing that too many people forget about. Think of it like any sporting event. There's preview and wrap-up articles all over the place. It gets people excited and then keeps people excited after the event is over. It's also just great for building a community of spectators which is really important in this day and age.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
Also, he asked "can u make nationals on sun?"

I personally think thats absurd.

Another question from me. Is it easy to host a smashfest with my friends?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Sponsors

One of the major things people may have noticed with Apex is that we have an abundance of sponsors. This is by no accident. It took years of planning, pitching, and negotiation to do. It is all about the right pitch and the right technique. Let’s start with taking a look at one of my decks for Apex 2014.

First Page is always the best. Typically you have a logo here of your event.

Describe what you are. This is a few months old but try to keep things in detail. Remember to sell yourself visually.

Mention your reach across social media. This is very key to show who you are to the community and everyone else out there.

I skipped a few pages (just random text ) but the next important page is listing what your stream(s) can do. This is crucial to selling yourself. Notice how I sell the 1 million total views. That is how I got my sponsors for 2014 ( Not telling you who but a few, let's say, HAVENT sponsored before ).

Showing your rate of growth is very helpful. It helps to show how popular your event is.

The last slide I will show you is a slide determining sponsorship. This is totally up to you but these are this years sponsorship details. That is what we offer to sponsors. We get something and they do as well ya know?

Think of it this way. How are you going to sell yourself? You need reach and people. This is why streaming is so important. Events that do not have streams WONT be sponsored unless they have an inside with someone.

Next time I will break down how to deal with people who "hate" on you and how to turn them into inspiration.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nice series, Johnathan. It'll be good for other TOs to hear this stuff from one of the leading people in the community. The art of TOing and the places from which Smash can draw growth and exposure have changed significantly in the past 5 years and it's good that we're finally seeing some movement in that direction.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Nice series, Johnathan. It'll be good for other TOs to hear this stuff from one of the leading people in the community. The art of TOing and the places from which Smash can draw growth and exposure have changed significantly in the past 5 years and it's good that we're finally seeing some movement in that direction.
Thanks Adam. I hope this helps others. I am also willing to critique and give advice anywhere I can.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
I would love for sponsors. But how do I go bout getting sponsors for a local or a regional? Obviously I'm not killing a million viewers. Thoughts?

Also the wrap up I wrote is getting good responses already! Awesome idea I never knew about.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I would love for sponsors. But how do I go bout getting sponsors for a local or a regional? Obviously I'm not killing a million viewers. Thoughts?

Also the wrap up I wrote is getting good responses already! Awesome idea I never knew about.
SImple...know your audience. If you work at a local comic stop ask for 50-100 bucks extra. Remember that will add up to many.

Also ADD GAMES LIKE POKEMON or something NIntendo - Related...only if its less than 50 though.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Alex Strife, thanks a lot for making this. Very good read so far.

Two questions:

My team and I host fighting game monthlies, usually getting 30-65 total people.

1.. What's the easiest way to attract more players to our events aside from consistency?

2. Any tips on finding a venue? Churches, hotels, small businesses? We have a semi-consistent (irony) venue, but we're always looking for back-ups or to improve.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Alex Strife, thanks a lot for making this. Very good read so far.

Two questions:

My team and I host fighting game monthlies, usually getting 30-65 total people.

1.. What's the easiest way to attract more players to our events aside from consistency?

2. Any tips on finding a venue? Churches, hotels, small businesses? We have a semi-consistent (irony) venue, but we're always looking for back-ups or to improve.

1 - Go to casual message boards. I cannot stress this enough. Finding new people will be done by exploring outside tournament boards and into Nintendo/Capcom/Namco fan boards. You can also try meetup.com or streetpass if you do smash. Ideally you will find some.

2 - Depends on your budget. Free = Game centers, Small budget = Churches ( ideally you SHOULD be apart of the church ) and hotels usually cost a lot unless you have them book rooms to stay in. I can cover that after I take care of this next topic I am going to post. I might do

- HOW TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE

and

- THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TO AND A PERSON WHO RUNS TOURNAMENTS ( trust me there is a big difference )

Nintendude

Smash Hero
People also overlook reddit as a resource for promoting tournaments. There are over 10,000 subscribers there and we get more every single day. College campuses are also great, if you are near any. Just put up some flyers. College students love smash.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
People also overlook reddit as a resource for promoting tournaments. There are over 10,000 subscribers there and we get more every single day. College campuses are also great, if you are near any. Just put up some flyers. College students love smash.
This. That community has its fair share of players and spectators from all walks of this game (the casual to the top player) and the lack of outreach there is kind of astounding.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I kind of consider reddit to be smashboards for smash spectators. It seems like a vast majority of the people there are the ones who watch stuff on youtube and tune into our big livestreams, but don't go to tournaments. A lot of these people want to get more involved but just don't really know where to start. There'a at least one thread every few days asking for help finding a local scene. We could get so many new competitive players from reddit alone.

theDuL0R

Smash Journeyman
I kind of consider reddit to be smashboards for smash spectators. It seems like a vast majority of the people there are the ones who watch stuff on youtube and tune into our big livestreams, but don't go to tournaments. A lot of these people want to get more involved but just don't really know where to start. There'a at least one thread every few days asking for help finding a local scene. We could get so many new competitive players from reddit alone.
Teach me how to reddit. lol no but seriously, that does sound like a great idea. I'm going to look into that this weekend. And I'm going to see if I can start pulling numbers and statistics together to start looking for sponsors. :D

Also, since we are talking about tournaments....CROSSFIRE 3, July 20th ;)

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's much appreciated! :D

Looking forward to that next post.

abcool

Smash Ace
Alex, do you just T.O as a hobby or do you actually do this as a business and make a living off of it?

Top Bottom