• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes but then it becomes incredibly hard to land when the opponent is so aware of it.
But when I play against Falco the next time, I'll try it.

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
Having a full bucket means you die a lot earlier. It's not always good to have it full.
I think it can be good to have it full almost all the time. You get a power that can potentially KO your opponent at insanely low percentanges (if it's a well-stocked bucket) and make your opponents keep their distance most of the time. I mean, you'll still have to deal with the campers, but it will still make most opponents think twice about approaching you. That's part of Oil Panic's charm: the fear it can create. I think the problem is that G&W users think they have to immediately use Oil Panic right after they get their bucket full--it's probably why Oil Panic has gotten so predictable. They need to learn to throw in some mind games to give Oil Panic a better chance to work.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I know, it limits stuff, but not when you ate Falcos stuff. Dying 20% earlier isn't worth a sort of powerful bucket. If you have it full and see an opportunity, go for it, you won't be punished.

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
Holding on to buckets is not worth all the mental tomfoolery. Living is way better lol

:phone:
Didn't this start with -LzR- asking whether to bucket Falco's lazers? I know an empty bucket is much more useful than a full bucket in staying alive, but I think a full bucket is still useful as a killing move, depending on the power and implying you're able to find a way to connect the hit. In general, I say bucket whatever energy shot comes your way, from any character your opponent uses, so you have a chance to punish them for camping or spamming energy shot moves or whatever. You can always empty it, even if you're not trying to hit the enemy, and regain your bucket brake later on.

Actually, maybe the way we use Oil Panic helps define how each of us G&W mains use G&W differently. Keeping the bucket empty for bucket braking is more of a defensive tactic, to keep yourself alive longer. Keeping the bucket full, or even trying to fill the bucket, is a good offensive move, dissuading the enemy from camping and yet making them cautious about their approach at the same time, also allowing for a punishing move that can potentially KO an opponent, depending on your opponent's character.

TL;DR version: I guess it depends on how we like to use G&W, lol.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Most players respect the bucket too much to just let you fill it. If somebody does just spam projectiles it's worth filling, but definitely worth emptying as soon as possible. Earlier somebody said it does a ton of damage and your smashes kill really well anyway so you should just use it.
And you're definitely right that every G&W has a different style.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I used bucket against our best Fox. I only used it at situations where I couldn't really be punished and most of the time my bucket was already full before he realized what I was doing. The bucket wasn't strong, but it was fast, ranged and damaging tool to use and bucket doesn't really help against Fox that much when he always kills upwards.
Not sure about Falco though, I'll try it the next time I play against one.

LinkinHand

Smash Apprentice
the falco i oplayed yesterday was very afraid of my bucket i absorbed the only laser he shot in the whole match XD after that he didn't used any laser anymore :D

Alphicans

Smash Hero
If you're not dumb, any bucket is really useful. Fast, powerful (even falco's bucket is probably as strong as a smash), does a lot of damage, great range, has invincibility frames. People tend to save it so they can get the kill with it, but really you should use it whenever you have an opening.

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
If you're not dumb, any bucket is really useful. Fast, powerful (even falco's bucket is probably as strong as a smash), does a lot of damage, great range, has invincibility frames. People tend to save it so they can get the kill with it, but really you should use it whenever you have an opening.
According to Omegablackmage's Mr. Game and Watch Guide, you're right. An Oil Panic charged with 3 of Falco's Blaster shots gives out 25% damage, the same as a fully charged F-Smash or U-Smash. Since trying to fully charge one of those smashes takes much longer than using Oil Panic to give out the same amount of damage, I'd go with Oil Panic anytime.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well it's easy to fill it against Falco. Even if you miss, no big deal, it's pretty safe and if it hits it's still strong.
Is Falcos lasermade oilpanic stronger than our smashes?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's not far off from my experience. I always remembered it being weak so i never worried with it and about 2 months ago i was playing friendlies with one of our Falcos and KO'd him in the 70's (at the edge) But yeah it had more knockback than I thought it would, that's when I actually started bucketing Falco's Lazers

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That should pressure him a lot then. I'll try it the next time we play and see what kind of horrible things I can do. It shouldn't be hard to grab 3 lasers unpunished.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Another good thing about the bucket is that it interupts falco's cg. I am actually not too sure how legit it is, but I've played falco players that are aware of it, who tried to do it as quickly as possible, and it still worked.

It's a great trick if the falco is at around 100%, and you just died with a full bucket. You purposely get grabbed, and kill him for cging you. Kind of a gimmick, but lots of players aren't fully aware of it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If Falco doesn't buffer it correctly moves with very fast startup can hit.
It was awesome when a friend of mine still didn't have a perfect timing, so when I played MK, I could get a fast uair between grabs. You couldn't even see the animation or hear a thing, but Falco just received damage after every throw xD

Also that's a nice trick you have there, gotta try it out to see if it works.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Another good thing about the bucket is that it interupts falco's cg. I am actually not too sure how legit it is, but I've played falco players that are aware of it, who tried to do it as quickly as possible, and it still worked.

It's a great trick if the falco is at around 100%, and you just died with a full bucket. You purposely get grabbed, and kill him for cging you. Kind of a gimmick, but lots of players aren't fully aware of it.
*using this next tourney*

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
Falco is a lightweight (I think) so it should be even earlier.
Really? Falco's a fast faller, like Fox and Wolf, so I thought he'd be a midweight. I know falling speed isn't the same as weight, but it usually applies to most characters, like Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Snake.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Really? Falco's a fast faller, like Fox and Wolf, so I thought he'd be a midweight. I know falling speed isn't the same as weight, but it usually applies to most characters, like Bowser, Donkey Kong, and Snake.
Fox is the second fastest faller and a lightweight

no correlation, it just doesnt make sense for a gorillaz or turtle monster to be floaty

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Samus is the 3rd or 4th heaviest in the game and one of the floatiest iirc

EDIT: @smileyface - that trick is useful but quite risky. I'd definitely try to bucket if I got cg'd, but idk if in a high stakes tournament match I'd purposefully get grabbed. I've had falco's predict it and roll behind me just to continue the CG. If you intentionally get grabbed, you have to make it look like you made an honest mistake, so they don't think you know about the trick. Too many mind games involved for my liking lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Samus is 7th heaviest I think, but the point stands, it makes no sense, but it's cool to have all sorts of combinations.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Alphyyy you got any awesome videos you'd recommend me to watch? Good G&W videos are hard to come by especially when not looking at the MK ones.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Alphyyy you got any awesome videos you'd recommend me to watch? Good G&W videos are hard to come by especially when not looking at the MK ones.
None really exist lol. Vinnie vs junebug, razer and seibrik are all legit sets.

I have some ok videos like vs KillL0ck, asa and breez that I posted in the video thread.

I think vex has a couple sets vs DEHF somewhere, but it's on a stream, so it'd be hard to find. Other than that, quality GaW vids are hard to come by.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I know, it's not easy to find awesome videos. Vinnie is crazy, but he doesn't have many videos, zacs videos are all old and you sometimes go Falco >: (

blind_angel16

Smash Cadet
None really exist lol. Vinnie vs junebug, razer and seibrik are all legit sets.

I have some ok videos like vs KillL0ck, asa and breez that I posted in the video thread.

I think vex has a couple sets vs DEHF somewhere, but it's on a stream, so it'd be hard to find. Other than that, quality GaW vids are hard to come by.
I just saw a Vinnie vs Junebug video from the KTAR 6 tournament that I thought was pretty good. -LzR- is right, though--Vinnie is a speed demon with G&W. :surprised:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Already watched that set you linked. It's crazy, but I want more like that. Too bad there really isn't.
Except Alphicans but he just sucks :troll:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Played a bit against that Falco yesterday. I managed to do really well, but that bucket wasn't so easy to use.

Top Bottom