• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
sttuter step into what?

to stutter step, you need to cancel the initial dash's animation frames into fsmash and I don't know what other thing you can do out of it, but that's the basic form of stutter step I know

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
"How many chacters I can Fthrow + Fsmash conect with Marth? And Dthrow + Fsmash conect? What chacters? " Please I need this awser! Thanks.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
for stutter step into DB1, you have to do the same thing as for stutter step fsmash

you cancel the intial dash's animation frames into DB1, in an easier way, dash > DB1 (very fast to don't go into full dash animation).

for how many characters to Fthrow > Fsmash, it's around half the entire cast (including marth itself).

now for what characters can Dthrow > Fsmash, I guess it can be done on pika, falco, fox, meta and that's what I remerber for now, maybe someone else can tell you about the other ones.

Capuchon

Smash Cadet
I have a question : What is better than the dash grab ? A option is better ?

(Sorry if you don't understand my english, i'm french xD)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm pretty sure you can, its just really tight timing.

-

What is better than dash grab? Just walk into a shield grab, or get good with the spacing and just dash to shield -> grab.
You can also standing pivot grab.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Ahh this is something iv'e experimented with. Marth can fthrow fsmash every character by using certain techniques, such as stutter, waiting like 0.25 seconds until the fsmash and jsut spamming fsmash on stick. EXCEPT he cannot fthrow fsmash Lucario or Jigglypuff, because they can just DI away.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
Ahh this is something iv'e experimented with. Marth can fthrow fsmash every character by using certain techniques, such as stutter, waiting like 0.25 seconds until the fsmash and jsut spamming fsmash on stick. EXCEPT he cannot fthrow fsmash Lucario or Jigglypuff, because they can just DI away.
that's correct.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Have a list about this? Because some chacters you can Dthrow + Fsmash and no Fthrow + Fsmash. And about grab realease? I know Wario is easy to connect Usmash, Diddy you can dash him and MK run and fast fair, have a list about grab realese? We need a list about Grab combos xD!!!

PEACE7

Smash Champion
We can grab release to fair a lot of characters but some of them have to press jump while struggling out of your grab for the air release to happen. On Mk you can grab release to dair, fair, dash attack, dolphin slash, sword dance and I believe up air but the timing is really strict. On wario you can get fthrow to tipper, grab release to reverse stuter fsmash, turn around dair, nair, upsmash, bair i believe, uptilt (do this if a platform is above), jab i think almost about every move. The dash attack on diddy only works if they press jump while struggling which I'm still surprised why so many of them are still getting hit by it. On squirtle we get gr to stuter fsmash, dair we can also keep regrabbing him all the way across the stage there's plenty of more stuff but I don't feel like typing anything else lol

V

Smash Ace
Does Marth really have a boost grab? I've always been skeptical of that.

:phone:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
first hit nair on hit is legit into a grab.
first hit of nair on shield into a grab isn't guaranteed... but it is kind of a kind of a mix up that you could have with you pressuring their shield a lot to make them develop a longer shielding habit (ff aerial to jab? ff aerial to dolphin slash?)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Fthrow should be leading onto dancing blade, regrab or a fair depending on your reading.

While nothing is guaranteed past early percent, you should be getting follow ups reasonably often and there's no "safe di" for the opponent.

With any move in the game. The issue is timing. Usually an attack that covers a large area for many frames in a row are the best moves.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Two questions:

1. I have trouble getting back on to the stage when Lucas or Zelda are guarding me. It seems like if they come for me I'm ****ed, and if they use projectiles it really ****s me, and I dunno... is there like some guide about recovering w/ Marth? Tactics to use? I try making use of side B and neutral B to gain more distance or cause extra time in the air or something, but even with that I still usually get rocked.

2. After edgeguarding an opponent, often times I kill myself because I'll Dolphin Slash in the wrong direction and then be screwed. It seems like sometimes when I Dolphin Slash while facing away from the stage I can end up facing the stage and go the correct direction, but other times it seems to not let me turn around and just Dolphin Slashes me away into death. I feel so dumb whenever that happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
1. for recovery, you need to use mindgames or be very risky to get back safely. If your opponent go off the stage, try to read what your opponent is going to do. If you constantly recover low, try to do high or medium, mix things up. If you have solid reads use counter. Well, the basics to get back are mindgames.

2. That can only be fixed with practice and only practice. You need to be confident of all the things you do without making a mistake.

try practicing alone on training mode, then aplying them against cpu to get used to all the things you practiced, then friendlies, a lot of friendlies :)

Nike.

Smash Hero
how can marth stop falcos phantasm?
Falco's phantasm has a weak spot in the middle, but the other parts of it are invincible I believe. Like this:

Start -------- Middle -------- End

He's invincible where the line is. Your goal should be to have marth positioned to connect a hit right as falco is at the halfway mark.

Like Peace said, jab is pretty darn good. An important thing to note is that falco gets RCO lag from his illusion. If you jab him out of it, he's going to have more landing lag when he stops right in front of you. Jab -> fsmash becomes a true combo :)

C.J.

Smash Master
Falco's phantasm has a weak spot in the middle, but the other parts of it are invincible I believe. Like this:

Start -------- Middle -------- End

He's invincible where the line is. Your goal should be to have marth positioned to connect a hit right as falco is at the halfway mark.

Like Peace said, jab is pretty darn good. An important thing to note is that falco gets RCO lag from his illusion. If you jab him out of it, he's going to have more landing lag when he stops right in front of you. Jab -> fsmash becomes a true combo :)
All of this is true. However, jab fsmash probably won't tipper. Jab usmash/utilt/DB may be better options.

Also, nair > his phantasm for free.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I tend to shy away from usmash/utilt (unless they are at kill percent) because it doesn't put them off stage. DB I usually do use alot, though lol.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
How do you consistently platform cancel to instant platform drop? I can get it sometimes but most of the time i buffer crouch.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
If you non-tipper jab Falco out of his phantasm, he'll probably land and suffer from RCO, so grab/DB follow up is easy.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
2. That can only be fixed with practice and only practice. You need to be confident of all the things you do without making a mistake.

try practicing alone on training mode, then aplying them against cpu to get used to all the things you practiced, then friendlies, a lot of friendlies :)
Thanks. As for Dolphin Slashing away from the stage and dying, are you actually consistently able to Dolphin Slash in the opposite direction that you are currently facing, to save yourself properly after edgeguarding? Or should I perhaps try to Side B to get to facing the correct direction before using Dolphin Slash?

Also, I keep reading that Marth can chain grab a lot of people, especially Lucas/Ness. And yet, for some reason whenever I try to chain grab (at 0 percent, I know it won't work at higher percents) I never can. I usually can't even get the re-grab after the first grab. If I do, I definitely can't get another. Is there some technique or something I must keep in mind other than just Z -> forward throw -> dash at opponent -> Z...

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. As for Dolphin Slashing away from the stage and dying, are you actually consistently able to Dolphin Slash in the opposite direction that you are currently facing, to save yourself properly after edgeguarding? Or should I perhaps try to Side B to get to facing the correct direction before using Dolphin Slash?

Also, I keep reading that Marth can chain grab a lot of people, especially Lucas/Ness. And yet, for some reason whenever I try to chain grab (at 0 percent, I know it won't work at higher percents) I never can. I usually can't even get the re-grab after the first grab. If I do, I definitely can't get another. Is there some technique or something I must keep in mind other than just Z -> forward throw -> dash at opponent -> Z...
you just need to practice DS in opposite direction from ledge, if you do a side-b, it might be too slow. as for the infinite grab on ness/lucas, it works at ANY percent. try practicing on ness, it's a little harder for lucas. basically, grab and pummel until they break free, then grab again. no need to dash and you should try learning shield+a to grab it's more effective.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
you just need to practice DS in opposite direction from ledge, if you do a side-b, it might be too slow. as for the infinite grab on ness/lucas, it works at ANY percent. try practicing on ness, it's a little harder for lucas. basically, grab and pummel until they break free, then grab again. no need to dash and you should try learning shield+a to grab it's more effective.

Thanks. So I mean... what would the input of the controller for DS-ing in the opposite direction that you're facing look like? Do you push the control stick to the side before or after pressing Up-B? How do you reliably DS to the opposite direction?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
between diagonally up in the other direction you're facing and up, that way you ensure it'll be a dolphin slash and not a DB1.

I believe diagonally up in the opposite direction alone work as well.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks.

Also, I'm having trouble fighting my friend's Link. He's quite good at managing all the projectiles and being aggressive, and when I try to close in on him he boomerangs me and Zairs me, and I just find it pretty hard to really get in there. If I can get him off the edge it's pretty easy to gimp him, since he's Link. But how do I get there? haha

TLDR: How do you approach as Marth, when dealing with projectile users such as Lucas or Link? I get hit so much before I can even get in there and dish out some blows.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Thanks.

Also, I'm having trouble fighting my friend's Link. He's quite good at managing all the projectiles and being aggressive, and when I try to close in on him he boomerangs me and Zairs me, and I just find it pretty hard to really get in there. If I can get him off the edge it's pretty easy to gimp him, since he's Link. But how do I get there? haha

TLDR: How do you approach as Marth, when dealing with projectile users such as Lucas or Link? I get hit so much before I can even get in there and dish out some blows.

You're probably dashing too much. Try using your walk to get midrange where you can apply sword pressure. Marth has a hard time blocking projectiles while dashing, while its really easy to do if you walk

:phone:

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
for link, try to jump above him or diagonally above, break proyectiles with your sword, jump more and be ready for aerials, also walk, since link can control better long range with his proyectiles.

for lucas, you need to be agressive as hell, walk, jump, don't try to hit his pk fire because it hits forward so just block or AD it, then pressure with all you've got.

you need to be careful with his jab, ftilt and fsmash, they're deadly fast and don't try to gimp PKT 2, you're only going to get damage or lose a stock so, if you can't gimp PKT 1, don't go for PKT2.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys. What does PKT1 and PKT2 imply? Are you saying I should try to gimp Lucas before he hits himself with the thunder, but if he already hits himself to stay away?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
that's correct.

PKT1 is when he sends the psi orb that can be guided to hit something and when lucas is vulnerable and static (though you need to use your spacing well because his body has hitboxes).

PKT2 is when he has been sent flying after receiving the psi orb, be careful with that, it's hard to SDI out of it before the last hit that has a lot of knockback.

Top Bottom