• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Don't whiff anything against DK do lots of retreating fairs and nairs, use dtilt and shorthop sideB 1 to shieldbreak works sooo good. Anything whiffed against him will always get you punished super hard also you can runoff counter his upB don't use it too much tho as well as ubBing his upB. Grab nair to grab nair works really well against him but not all the time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth's tipper utilt is weaker than his non tipper utilt (all the time).
Marth's non-tipper 'just behind his head hitbox' is drastically more powerful than the rest of the hitboxes on the move.

Up smash can be tippered...

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Up smash can be tipped but does less damage and the same knockback, no?

And can't DB be tipped as well? Just without the tip animation and super easy to DI out of?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
DB can be tippered, but from what I've seen, it keeps the low knockback and hitlag enough to keep the opponent still for the "combo" (that means, is not easier to SDI out).

and the 4th hit of DB hits harder when tippered (more knockback at least, I haven't checked the damege)

Reizilla

Hmm, I know when fully charged, it's does more damage when standing next to them. Something like 3 hitbboxes or something. I dunno. Maybe not xD

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So when you're alone and have some down time, what do you practice with Marth? I practice the grab release stuff but all of it is pretty easy to me including GR > Dair and all that. I know there's other stuff I should be working on when I've got some down time but I don't know about the character yet. Suggestions?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
pivots, sttuter step fsmash, wavebounces, maybe some follow ups...

V

Smash Ace
Set the cpu to walk and jump and practice tipping everything.

:phone:

Reizilla

platform canceling, platform canceling, wave bounced shield breaker, platform canceling, dolphin slash cancel, platform canceling
Fixed.

I like to throw platform drop OoS and retreating pivot grab in there some times.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Ah cool.
So...how is it done? And does it only work on Battlefield and stages with Battlefield-like edges (SV, uh... can't think of anything else XD)?

And just to make sure, since I got different answers for my question about tippers
Tippered utilt IS weaker than non-tippered
Everything can be tippered
All tippers other than utilt are stronger than non-tippers

Correct?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Lolmoarquestions

Which is better out of a shield break, a fully charged and tippered shield breaker or a fully charged and tippered fsmash? I noticed Mike Haze uses the former when he breaks his opponent's shield so I figured that it was stronger, but I've been told otherwise.

I tried some testing but the only conclusion I could draw from it was that when both are completely fresh and used on an MK at 100%, shield breaker's launcher speed is 239 higher than fsmash's. XD

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Tippered shield breaker definitely launches better but sometimes (namely on BF and Lylat) if you get a shield breaker and they pop up to land on the platform, your only option is to tipper the F-smash from above

EDIT: After a bit of testing I think F-smash actually has a bit more knockback but it's just that it's probably not fresh and harder to tipper Will test some more later

EDIT: I've been reading about "non-tip", "normal tipper" and "exact tipper". Is there really such a thing as the 3rd?

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Lolmoarquestions

Which is better out of a shield break, a fully charged and tippered shield breaker or a fully charged and tippered fsmash? I noticed Mike Haze uses the former when he breaks his opponent's shield so I figured that it was stronger, but I've been told otherwise.

I tried some testing but the only conclusion I could draw from it was that when both are completely fresh and used on an MK at 100%, shield breaker's launcher speed is 239 higher than fsmash's. XD
Shieldbreaker is just the autopilot ko, its going to kill whether you space it well or not. Personally, charged dsmash is the most stylish

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
Only SB has a "precise tip" according to pierce or EL or someone. idr

It does 1% more damage or something.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Nair Usage

People keep telling me to use more Nair but I'm having a hard time incorporating it into my game.

I use it occasionally when I anticipate a ledge-hop or to pester people on the lower platforms of BF but that's about it.

I've seen vids where Marths FF first hit Nair, dtilt, fsmash. When would it be beneficial to try to attempt that (sacrificing the greater range of the SHFF fair)?

Any tips? or situations where you guys use it?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
retreating falling nair is great for trying to block someone from rolling in, grab, or to space away from their shield and bait a response (like grab, then you can punish that).

Just make sure you're always retreating very far back when you do it this way. Otherwise, it's really punishable.

It can also be relatively good as a mix up approach, though i never use it. You nair the top of their shield and land behind them. It will shield stab a lot of the time.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Too bad he almost never posts, even though he has 10 k posts lol

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Alright thanks for the tips :) and I'm pretty sure the SHFF Nair, dtilt, fsmash came from one of Mr. R's matches and it was often DB1 in place of Nair though.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
What's the most damaging low percent combo vs mk? Is it kadaj's chaingrabx10 to db?

Which db do i input as down that sucks them in so the last 1-2 hits are guarenteed?

Top Bottom