• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

-Ran

Smash Master
When you forward throw, most people will air dodge out of shear stupidity. Same with Up throw. Which then sets up fair/uair/dancing blade.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I realize this is generally a matter of personal preference, and I haven't gone through the entire FAQ thread, but what are feelings on tap jump? I know on allows a DS OoS... but does it also generally make SHing easier?
You don't need tap jump for DS OoS. When shielding, just jump+upB at the same time and you get the same result, may require different controller settings (I put L on special to make it easier, personal preference).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You don't need tap jump for DS OoS. When shielding, just jump+upB at the same time and you get the same result, may require different controller settings (I put L on special to make it easier, personal preference).
Are zanshuken from neo?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
It is WAY more easier to leave tap jump on.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Yeah, and having tap jump is really just something that's good to get used to. every extra button that you have to press is another chance to screw up. i find that i do best with my utilt with tap on if i use both jumps doing aerials then hold ^ before i hit the ground, then i can just hit A and not worry about not pushing too fast or hard. its not always practical, just somethin i do when i can

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It is WAY more easier to leave tap jump on.
I learned to do it in just about 5 minutes, with a 100% success rate. But as I said, it's just personal preference, but it's easier to learn how to upB out of shield without tap jump than to learn how to handle tap jump (if you're not used to it of course). But hey, no need to discuss this any further :)

EDIT:

Can you DS OoS a perfectly spaced turtle?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
G&ws probably dont space the turtle well enough on the regular basis for this to be a problem since the shield **** is far greater (or seems to be) if they are touching you with more of the turtles hitbox. Its easier to shield all the hits if they space it anyway then u can probably dancing blade or fair them if u see fit.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
G&ws probably dont space the turtle well enough on the regular basis for this to be a problem since the shield **** is far greater (or seems to be) if they are touching you with more of the turtles hitbox. Its easier to shield all the hits if they space it anyway then u can probably dancing blade or fair them if u see fit.
Shielding all the hits usually results in a shield poke (unless you start with a full shield), or am I wrong at that? I'd say DS is much more safe (and shield-friendly), unless you'd do it at very low percentages in which it'd lead to a punish.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Shielding all the hits usually results in a shield poke (unless you start with a full shield), or am I wrong at that? I'd say DS is much more safe (and shield-friendly), unless you'd do it at very low percentages in which it'd lead to a punish.
Yes you usually get shield poked unless your shield is reasonably sized. The golden rule is, if the turtle hits your shield, redeem your buy 1 get 1 free DS OoS coupon. Also, in case you thought i was saying fair or dancing blade g&w when he bairs, i wasnt.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
i was actually thinking either falco or oli =0
they both have good distance games and can damage to set marth up for tipper kills, and falco's just really helpful to have as a partner in general.

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
^ This.

And to the poster about using L/R to jump, holding the normal UpB combination is faster and safer to excuse the JC.
This is true. I used Tap Jump Off for a long time and hated doing DS OoS, but then again I also hated Tap Jump On since it'll mess me up. One day I picked up Melee, got used to tap jump on, put tap jump on, everything became easy.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Melee rules all tho.
save it for the melee character threads, por favor

the most radical change ive gone through in controls is when I switched from ONLY tap jumping to ONLY Y jumping. it was in melee when I first became competitive and realized that tap jumping was phail.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
What can I do against a Laser-Campy Wolf (on Wi-Fi)?
SH air dodge approach or just make your way towards him above the lasers, he's really easy to spike, but you gotta be careful of his >B when he's recovering or youll be the one shooting down the screen.
just practice against some good ones.

Drews0

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but this thread moves so darn fast, and last time didn't think to check the page, so:

I understand what people mean when they talk about weaving forward airs, but I've never actually seen a specific use of it. I'm sure its in all those videos I watch, but if someone could point me to a precise video and time in it where weaving is used in an exemplary way it would be nice.
This because my main problem is being shield-grabbed even though I try to DI back properly.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If you get shieldgrabbed, you are committing to the fair too much (in other words youre not retreating your 2nd fair on the way down). Just push backwards on the analog stick and forward on the c-stick after your first fair.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm sorry, but this thread moves so darn fast, and last time didn't think to check the page, so:

I understand what people mean when they talk about weaving forward airs, but I've never actually seen a specific use of it. I'm sure its in all those videos I watch, but if someone could point me to a precise video and time in it where weaving is used in an exemplary way it would be nice.
This because my main problem is being shield-grabbed even though I try to DI back properly.
It's so you have total control of your character and so that you don't get shield grabbed.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Where'd Danimals go!?! I swear, he was the apex of marth meta (or really good at it) 6 months ago downward, and now he's gone. Still, my favorite marth to this day is Pierce or Mike.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
oduh thanks ^,^

in that case... is it better to learn the spacing of the diar tipped facing your opponent by heart or to turn around and jump off backwards for the meteor smash in your opinion

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
SOLID, save it for melee section :p

Also, tipper dair for the kill is perhaps the most NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN situation in your moveset.
Perhaps only beating out dash attack, and being probably just below tipper fsmash.

Tennet

Smash Champion
What are all the gay things Marth can do to Wario? I'm assuming most of it is grab release stuff so i'd need to start pivot grabbing...

Top Bottom