• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

twhite90

Smash Rookie
Hello,
I am a brand new player here but I just got a N64 USB adapter in the mail. Does anybody want to teach me a lesson in online play?? I am decent on console (in my mind at least cuz i beat all my friends) but I know I'll get my a** handed to me by any of you. But if you want to take the time I would love to find someone to play with!
Let me know,
also what client should I download? I saw that there is Pj64 and Kalliera. some tips would be appreciated!
Thanks

dandan

Smash Lord
hi, that is the correct attitude, i would recommend going to the come here first thread for all the explanations and link about setting up pj and kaillera.
where are you from if i might ask, if it is from europe (which i doubt) you should check the european index.

DMoogle

A$
PJ64 is an emulator, PJ64k is PJ64 with Kaillera, which is a sort of plugin that allows you to play multiplayer online. As dandan said, check the "Come here first" index thread for all necessary resources. If you have more questions, fire away.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I need to know some b'n'b DK combos, I'm figuring most of it out for myself/from videos, but I just need to make sure I don't miss anything obvious.

Mainly wondering how I am supposed to combo off of his throws (without walls), if it is possible.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
F-Throw can often go into a running, fully charged Giant Punch at low-ish percents.
F-Throw in the air > jump Up-B (on lighter characters)
F-Throw in the air > fastfall jump Up-B (on heavier characters)
F-Throw in the air > fastfall jump F-Air (varies, only if you have height)
F-Throw and platforms (Dreamland) can work at low-ish percents

Any aerial > grab > F-Throw > jump throw > double jump Giant Punch is a guaranteed 0-death on Jigglypuff in basically every normal situation.

High percents require walls. At that point you may as well just go for a kill if you get the grab. If you're facing the wrong way for a quick B-Throw kill and get the grab, F-Throw hold > turn around > release > regrab > B-Throw.

Some of these might not be true combos.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I have a weird problem. If I stream ssb64 at a resolution of 640*480 it lags offline (not for the persons watching the stream, but for me), it goes at ~40 fps. But I can stream melee on dolphin without any problem (constant 60 fps). I have an i7 2630QM and a GEFORCE GT550M (I have a laptop). Any idea what might cause the lag? (I haven't looked too much into it yet)

edit: Nevermind, if I reduce the quality, I don't lag. It's weird that I have to reduce the quality from melee to 64 though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Any aerial > grab > F-Throw > jump throw > double jump Giant Punch is a guaranteed 0-death on Jigglypuff in basically every normal situation.
People rely too much on that. Might work in the land of Milo, but in America, a good opponent's gonna mash out every time.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Depends. Only like 20% of the good players I play are that good at mashing out of it. I suck at mashing out of that stuff myself, since my keyboard can only take like three inputs at once.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't understand why good players and good mashers are often related. I think I can improve all I want in this game, I will never be able to make a decent raising tornado with mario/luigi.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Being Australian.
Spacing
Tech skill
Mindgames

List in order from most to least important.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Good escape mashing is related to good DI

It's really not that hard to have good escape mashing. When I'm ready for it, I can escape pretty much before DK comes out of his jump animation- and I have notoriously slow fingers.

Anyways, if it's not effective against good players who do it right, I wouldn't make it a fundamental part of your game. The other good players will probably catch up someday (e.g. when DK matters)

The Star King

Smash Hero
What does it take to be good in SSB?
Learning to read people is an easy way to get good, since most of the community is mad predictable.

Good escape mashing is related to good DI

It's really not that hard to have good escape mashing. When I'm ready for it, I can escape pretty much before DK comes out of his jump animation- and I have notoriously slow fingers.

Anyways, if it's not effective against good players who do it right, I wouldn't make it a fundamental part of your game. The other good players will probably catch up someday (e.g. when DK matters)
Not for me. I have pretty good DI, and I suck at mashing out. Maybe for most people, though.

You probably have a keyboard that can take a lot of inputs at the same time. I'm guessing you can do no contests? I can't.

I kind of agree, though. It's true you will find Puff players who will mash out like a mofo, and you will have to beat them in other ways. That's why I never really bought that match-up being absolutely horrendous like some people said.

dandan

Smash Lord
it completely depends on your hardware.
if you do not have a good pc, 480x640 is more than enough for good quality,
else, you can go for better res.

NTA

Smash Lord
it completely depends on your hardware.
if you do not have a good pc, 480x640 is more than enough for good quality,
else, you can go for better res.
I think you might have meant 640x480 xD
I use a few resolutions, mainly 6480x480, 800x600, 1024x768, and rarely 1280x1024.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If you're LARBing, you should only be pressing two buttons at any one time...

Also, my escape input's not actually good, because I always react late. But when I'm ready for it, I can escape real fast... The key, then, is practice and so forth, not fingerspeed.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You're right. Your amazing tech skill grants you so much more options than mine does. And you utilize it so well, too, with your mindless Falcon grab spam and your repeatedly getting 3 stocked by my Samus. It's such a shame I can't be as great as you.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
You're right. Your amazing tech skill grants you so much more options than mine does. And you utilize it so well, too, with your mindless Falcon grab spam and your repeatedly getting 3 stocked by my Samus. It's such a shame I can't be as great as you.

lol

You aren't the MASTER OF TECHSKILL like me.

Pity, really.
I'm agree, your adorable.
So, show us a video xD

Battlecow

Play to Win
U mad bro? Kinda sounds like you're mad.

And I only got 3 stocked once by your samus. When that happened, I wasn't actually trying to play a match. I was just practicing TECHSKILL.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I ain't even mad.

You got 3 stocked twice in a row. And I wasn't aware that spamming grabs = practicing TECHSKILL. Pressing the grab button is probably technical for the likes of you, though, so I understand.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Installed project on a different pc for the first time in 7 months. Every thing went fine, Ive got the controller worling and everything. But when i Load the game I get failed to open file. Is there a noob thing I have done wrong?

Battlecow

Play to Win
There's a difference between being a troll and joking around about being MASTER OF TECHSKILL when everyone knows you're pretty atechnical.

Top Bottom