• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Hey bro! <3 new faces.

Get a new controller if you can afford it; loosey goosey joysticks are lame. As for improving offline, try to get your friends to get kinda good, practicing 1v1s against them is the only way to improve. You can use bootcamp to install windows on a mac if it's a fairly recent mac and play online that way.
thanks. I will try. the only problem is getting a windows disc :p but that wont be too hard at all. And actually my only true challenge/friend has a very distinct style of playing. In terms of actual skill/ straight up combos(ie: the uair to upB CF combo on hyrule) I far surpass him, but he beats me couple of times because of his mind games. His ness DJC dair mind game is very hard to get out of and then throws me off stage. Its hard to explain but maybe i can try to get a video of us playing using my mac recorder if its not too bad >< but thanks for the help! look forward to playing against alot of you!

twhite90

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replys!
As for controller, does anyone play with the hori mini pad and like it? I saw some but they're kinda expensive :( but heh maybe its worth the investment

Also, when you guys do aerials, how often do you use the R button and not the A button. Just wondering cuz I was messing around in training mode and it seems that to z-cancel and then jump away (say i'm trying to poke them with pika) it seems that maybe R is more efficient. or maybe its just a comfort thing.

Also, how often do you guys jump using the joystick instead of the c-pads. I have a bad habit of hitting up (on joystick) with fox right into his up A all the time(which may not be a bad habit, but it feels predictable for some reason)

Thanks again, and Hopefully I'll be online soon (trying to figure out how to downlaod windows fro free on mac via bootcamp)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Looked in the smash index quickly, and could not find the answer, so I'll ask it here.

What do people recommend to record computer screens as a video? I want to record some stuff to explain shield data that I discovered (more info in the shield thread), but I want to not only record the game, but also what buttons I am pressing (which is outside of the game window). So... I'd need something that will record the entire screen (or part of it). What do people recommend?

Also, for recording voice, what do people recommend?

Sorry for asking this, I know it's been asked 100 times, but I really don't want to search for the answer (last I remember seeing it asked was several months ago).

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: Answering the last post:

Some people use "R" to aerial. Others use "A". Others use both, depending on the aerial. It all comes down to personal preference. I personally do "A".

As far as control stick jumping, usually, it's simpler to jump with the C buttons, since you can short-hop and full hop without having to think about how far you have to tilt your control stick. However, using the control stick gives you a wider jump size window (your highest full hop is higher with the control stick than the c-button, and your shortest short-hop is smaller with the control stick too). You can also do mid-sized jumps as well. I personally almost always use the C-buttons to jump. The one exception to this is when I jump after a F-throw with Jigglypuff, where I use the control stick (gives me a slightly higher jump, which sometimes makes a huge difference). However, chaining up-airs, I think I keep using the control stick anyways. I can't remember off-hand.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. It is easier with the c-buttons, but if you can do it efficiently with the control stick, it is better since you have more options. Most people use the C-buttons though.

Dsc

Smash Ace
Was wondering if this is made because that would be sooo much easier for me. xD
I dont think those exist...
The only way to play ssb64 with a GC controller is emulator and wii VC.
The closest you can get is an N64 controller with a GC stick.

:phone:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
BY - I believe most people recommend fraps. Alternatives include Hypercam, camstudio, etc.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Blue Yoshi: I have always used fraps as everyone says it has the best quality, but it won't record the whole window (I don't think it does) and I don't think you can record voice either. Maybe you should make a normal video and then edit it with some software (I don't know any =/) to add what buttons are pressed and stuff.

By the way do you really need to record voice? I think writing a text with a video helping to understand would be better than making a video tutorial. That was the initial idea of the shield thread at least, but it's up to you ^^. If well worded I don't think it's too hard to understand. Even me with my poor English understood when you explained me :).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'm just trying to figure out my options. I prefer giving oral explanations. I know people will understand a written explanation, but explaining it orally... I don't know, I personally think it explains it better if done properly. All personal preference I guess :p

I have always had more success explaining stuff in oral and video/live than I have in writing. Though I'm asking not only for this, but for other stuff I plan on recording/uploading in the near future. So it's for several reasons.

Main reason why I want to use a video to explain it is so that people can see exactly what is happening, and using video, I don't need to add text while making the video... just makes it simpler to make and to watch in my opinion. As I said, personal preference lol.

DJRome

Smash Hero
Probably the boom n64/psx adapter.

Try using a different n64 controller, see if you get anything different. OR, OR, OR put a psx controller in there and see what happens.
i tried 2 different controllers both with and without a ps2 controller. not working :\

twhite90

Smash Rookie
Also while I am at it, is it possible to play online smash 64 with a mac?
Hey, I've never tried it but someone told me that its possible. Only you need to download windows onto your mac via BootCamp there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do this, the only problem is buying the Windows Software, which costs around 80$

twhite90

Smash Rookie
Bootcamp will come with every mac, you find it in the utilities file and it is there specifically for installing windows. But I'm not sure if you can pirate the windows software, would be tricky.

rpgfighter

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the responses guys. I will be working on getting the online running.

Also, if that adapter does not work does anyone have recommendations on what a good one would be?

And ONE more question and I will be done (for a bit xD)

But what advanced techniques are in this game? Anything similar to Melee? I am doing Z Canceling but thats the only one I know so if others exist please let me know. Thanks.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
don't buy that. it's the one i have and does not work
I have this same adapter. This adapter works fine for most of my controllers. You just need to try more official nintendo controllers on it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I will be working on getting the online running.

Also, if that adapter does not work does anyone have recommendations on what a good one would be?

And ONE more question and I will be done (for a bit xD)

But what advanced techniques are in this game? Anything similar to Melee? I am doing Z Canceling but thats the only one I know so if others exist please let me know. Thanks.
An adaptoid would be your best option, but they don't make those anymore. Your next best option would probably be getting the Mayflash n64 adapter.

DJRome

Smash Hero
how many do i have to try? i already tried my only two and tried the 4 from my friend's console and none of them work with or without the ps2 controller connected. maybe you got lucky or something cause i can't figure that it's my controllers only

firo

Smash Ace
how many do i have to try? i already tried my only two and tried the 4 from my friend's console and none of them work with or without the ps2 controller connected. maybe you got lucky or something cause i can't figure that it's my controllers only
Some of them are just broken, and won't work with any controllers. I had two of these that refused to work with any of my many controllers. Try and return it and get your money back.

You should either get the Mayflash dual n64 adapter, or the Raphnet n64 adapter. Being an adaptoid owner, it's not nearly as desirable now since drivers have not been updated for windows 7. It is however very durable and easy to take around.

Drasis

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone,

I think there is something flawed about the way that I Z cancel. Mid match I have this tendency to jam the Z button continuously between my air attack and hitting the ground. So many times I end up shielding on the ground or grabbing (spaz hitting R?), which obv slows me down and disrupts my own combos.

Any tips on Z cancelling? Are you ballers out there always hitting the Z button precisely once, knowing exactly when to do so?

dandan

Smash Lord
hitting it once is the way to go, there is quite a wide interval for you to enter the command, just train on it and it should come naturally.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
If you are shielding, it's because you are pressing Z while on the ground (which makes you shield). Mashing the Z button works fine for Z-cancelling, but make sure that when you land, you are not pressing the Z button. There is a wide enough window before you land that, with practice, this shouldn't be a problem.

Although there is nothing wrong with mashing, timing Z-cancels usually gives you a better flow (can't think of the right word) when you combo or move around. If you're having troubles timing it, then mash away, but it's something you may want to consider practicing since it makes everything much simpler.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Does anyone have any recommendations for control stick settings when playing online(e.g deadzone percentage, button mapping)?

Right now I'm using an Xbox 360 controller and it just doesn't feel quite right. I usually play on console but i want to play better players and be able to play more often. Online I often miss fastfalls, I can't seem to uair without double jumping for the life of me, and I'm wondering if maybe I should just get an adapter for the n64 controller or try some better settings

:phone:

flee

Smash Rookie
hi,
i just started again playin on n64. I i want to get captain falcon.
Everyone said i have to play the game in under 20 min. to get him, doesnt matter which difficulty.
So i chose "very easy" and 5 stocks and made it.
But i played now 3 thimes under 20 and it doesnt work?
So could somebody tell what i rly have to do to ge him?

sorry for this dumb question, but im just a noob

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Did you lose all 5 stocks over the course of the game?

Otherwise I think it might be 15 minutes but I might be recalling wrong.

Don't worry about asking such a question, you did better than every other newbie by not making an entire thread about it and asked your question in the right thread =D

Sangoku

Smash Master
Ballin: I use jabo 3d8. However I know someone with the same problem as you (he as an i5 processor, so it's not an old computer) and no plugin allows him to play at 60 fps. The best he gets is like 40-50 with rice or something.

edit: did you mean graphics plugin rather? Because the best input plugin is Nrage.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Ok, so I downloaded a different version of jabo 3d6 (1.5.2) and it no longer crashes PJ64k. I can run the jabo 3d6 offline just fine. However whenever I go on kailera it automatically switches back to Glide. Anyone know what's up?

Jabo 3d8 gives me a black screen (offline). I can hear sound, but no video.

flee

Smash Rookie
No, i didnt loose all 5 stocks. Maybe i have to make all 3 bonus stages succesfully too?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
hmm I don't believe so as I remember a TAS speed-run and he killed himself at BtP and BtT to save time.

Top Bottom