• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
I'd recommend Jabo D3D8 1.6. If I remember correctly, mud's plugin has bugs like dream land tree. If you have a high end machine, I'd recommend Glide64 Final.
I switched it back to Jabo's... works...

Twhy

Smash Rookie
This might be the place to ask. I downloaded project 64 to use the ladder, but i can't get my controller to be recognized in the input setup. I'm using an xbox 360 controller, and I do have the plugin installed for controllers. Project 64 just won't pick up my inputs when I go to configure my button layout :(

edit: I figured it out, forgot to select my gamepad type under devices XP. Thanks for the suggestions tho salt!

Last edited:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
This might be the place to ask. I downloaded project 64 to use the ladder, but i can't get my controller to be recognized in the input setup. I'm using an xbox 360 controller, and I do have the plugin installed for controllers. Project 64 just won't pick up my inputs when I go to configure my button layout :(
Install the drivers for the controller. Uncheck raw data in options -> configure controller -> controller pack -> raw data.

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Hey all,
long time viewer, first time poster.
I am involved in a local competition worth a little cash and beer (very important), and there were some qualifiers last night.
Now I went green samus (St McSamus) for st paddies day, and breezed my way through losing to my mates link (his main), but i had trouble with a pesky ness who could only grab, run away, repeat and downair me/anyone he could grab.
I wouldn't normally have an issue with any other character, but he insisted on going hyrule and sector z (bast*rd).
When the finals start, I can go any character i want (yoshi is my flava of the month, fox, rat and red link are my mains)
What strategies should i practice/implement to ensure that cheap bast*rd never gets his hands on me?
cheers
xoxo

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Hey all,
long time viewer, first time poster.
I am involved in a local competition worth a little cash and beer (very important), and there were some qualifiers last night.
Now I went green samus (St McSamus) for st paddies day, and breezed my way through losing to my mates link (his main), but i had trouble with a pesky ness who could only grab, run away, repeat and downair me/anyone he could grab.
I wouldn't normally have an issue with any other character, but he insisted on going hyrule and sector z (bast*rd).
When the finals start, I can go any character i want (yoshi is my flava of the month, fox, rat and red link are my mains)
What strategies should i practice/implement to ensure that cheap bast*rd never gets his hands on me?
cheers
xoxo
http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-...r-thread-read-before-asking-a-question.237869

be in the air more

also sector Z is not legal and hyrule is banned in some tourneys

Last edited:

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Love your Dk's mate, yeah For the finals i think it will be banned.
but he is a little whiner, so i have to be ready for anything.
he spat the dummy and walked of after he came 3rd, lol de lol

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) lof u

Love your Dk's mate, yeah For the finals i think it will be banned.
but he is a little whiner, so i have to be ready for anything.
he spat the dummy and walked of after he came 3rd, lol de lol
If he goes ness counterpick him with Pika or Fox

OR CHAINGRAB HIM WITH DK ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ness is hardest character to escape it

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
HAHA, i try not to grab if i can. our little has kind of banned it, but our 3rd rank can grab our first rank etc etc.
yeah i don't mind my pika against him, foxes recover puts me of using him against anyone remotely good in the air.

Annex

Smash Ace
Grabs generally get worse the better you get at aerial spacing but I can understand the ban
A good way to get better at aerial spacing could be to have someone just spam grab and you try to get hits on them
Idk
That ban is kinda xtreme

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
If you're banning grabs for certain people you may as well play with handicap on, that sounds no fun. I wouldn't even want to play someone if I could use grabs and they couldn't, that doesn't make sense

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Since everyone likes the gamecube controller and doesn't want to pay $70 for a hori minipad I was wondering do tournaments allow the usage of the virtual console wii version of the game oh and also do some tournaments use FD and Battle Field with a game shark?

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Questions as simple as this belong in our Ask a Question Thread

To my knowledge, the virtual console version is too buggy for tournament and as a result is unused. As for the second question, I have no idea if there has ever been local tournaments with FD or BF. It's unlikely that it will ever become a standard either but maybe I'm wrong.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Any individual tournament is free to do whatever it wants, but for the big tournaments no to both.

VC is bad anyway because it drops frames. At the major tournaments, there are usually adapters you can use.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I'll answer this for you before the entire 64 community comes in here and chastises you for saying that everyone likes the GC controller and doesn't want to pay $70 for a hori minipad.

The majority of the tournaments ran by the actual 64 community are done on N64 consoles. You may find some more casual tournaments be ran on the Wii, but any serious smash 64 player will not play on the Wii version because it skips frames and they have to use a different controller than the one they are used to. If you want to use a Gamecube controller on an N64, there is an adapter that you can buy. You can find it here: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

There are no tournaments where people play on FD or BF because 1) those stages aren't legal in the 64 ruleset; 2) it's not practical because those stages require a gameshark, and those are finicky to get running and they are required for each setup

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I'll answer this for you before the entire 64 community comes in here and chastises you for saying that everyone likes the GC controller and doesn't want to pay $70 for a hori minipad.

The majority of the tournaments ran by the actual 64 community are done on N64 consoles. You may find some more casual tournaments be ran on the Wii, but any serious smash 64 player will not play on the Wii version because it skips frames and they have to use a different controller than the one they are used to. If you want to use a Gamecube controller on an N64, there is an adapter that you can buy. You can find it here: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/

There are no tournaments where people play on FD or BF because 1) those stages aren't legal in the 64 ruleset; 2) it's not practical because those stages require a gameshark, and those are finicky to get running and they are required for each setup
thanks for the help and I think I'll find more uses for that adaptor XD

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Well, an honest complaint is that you can't reach every button on the controller with natural hand positioning. An optimal controller should have every button positioned within a reasonable reach. Its functionality in smash is fine although I'd prefer to be able to taunt mid-combo without having to move my entire hand. (so sue me for wanting to be a flashy Falcon)

The only other legitimate gripe I can see is the joystick's life. Grease is an acceptable remedy and joystick replacement isn't bad.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Well, an honest complaint is that you can't reach every button on the controller with natural hand positioning. An optimal controller should have every button positioned within a reasonable reach. Its functionality in smash is fine although I'd prefer to be able to taunt mid-combo without having to move my entire hand. (so sue me for wanting to be a flashy Falcon)
Your only point towards this is the L button?

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I love the 64 controller. I was simply pointing out that the 64 controller isn't optimally designed. For smash, it works well. I just wish I could reach the L button but that's no big deal, really.
NO BANANABOLTS 64 IS PERFECT CONTROLLER IS PERFEC TNO ADJUSTMENTS SMASH 64 IS 100% BALANCED **** YOU SMASH IS THE ONLY 64 GAME **** YOU **** YOU IT IS THE MOST OPTIMUM CONTROLLER IN THE WORLD ITS BETTER THAN YOU AND THE C BUTTON ALONE IS WORTH MORE THAN YOU

Studstill

Smash Ace
Miss you.
1) There is no official ruleset. If you want to count Apex as the "official", then they aren`t "illegal" they are more of "not applicable", in the same way that Pokemon Stadium isn`t legal.
2) They are no longer finicky, and I can`t speak for other TD`s (and most don`t even have the option I do), but I`m probably about a week away from legalizing Battlefield and Metal Mario. I`ll give you FD does still have the major camera problem, but that`s about one GS code away from beign fixed.

tl;dr:
We should have some actual data soon on how these stages perform in tournament.

NO BANANABOLTS 64 IS PERFECT CONTROLLER IS PERFEC TNO ADJUSTMENTS SMASH 64 IS 100% BALANCED **** YOU SMASH IS THE ONLY 64 GAME **** YOU **** YOU IT IS THE MOST OPTIMUM CONTROLLER IN THE WORLD ITS BETTER THAN YOU AND THE C BUTTON ALONE IS WORTH MORE THAN YOU
Let me know when you want your account back, bud. #hacked lmao.

Last edited:

Cedricwa

Smash Apprentice
I feel like even for big tournaments battlefield/FD could be used for finals. For every match though would take too many gamesharks
Edit: what about metal cavern too?

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I'm trying to create a rom hack with all those stages, and the rom hack can be played on consoles by using the "Everdrive 64" but I'm having difficulty in doing so

MarthOfHyrule

Smash Cadet
NNID
MarthOfHyrule
Can you get Super Smash bros 64, in the Wii Club Nintend rewards on Wii U?

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
No.

But it is available in virtual console.
Please post these questions in the ASK A QUESTION part of the forum. Thank you.

I did a 2 minute google search.
https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do
CTRL F: Super Smash Bros.
3 Results, Posters for smash 4.

Last edited:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
we are actually in agreement, he just misunderstood what i was saying
I understood what you meant, I was just clarifying information about weak/strong hitboxes since your post said
basically some aerials have a hitbox that becomes weaker the longer it stays out
It looks like the other guy disagrees, but you seem more reputable than he does.
Marbles and I started right around the same time. I just don't post on the forums all too often.

Edit: Sorry for the 4 page delay on my reply. Haven't checked smashboards in a month or so.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to create a rom hack with all those stages, and the rom hack can be played on consoles by using the "Everdrive 64" but I'm having difficulty in doing so
I've already played people on those stages online using custom cheat codes I assume, meaning you could go ahead and play it on console with gameshark. I dont know what Everdrive 64 is but since I've never heard of it I assume its probably even more rare than GS so I don't really see what the advantage to this would be.

Top Bottom