• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Today i was thinking about how cool it would be to have an online tourney that would run in real time. like have a whole tourney run in one day online and have all the matches on a single stream. It seems feasible if you set a date and only people that are available on that date would sign up. Then whoever is the TO can set up the bracket and the order of the matches and be an observer in every match with a stream running. Then all the other contestants can hang out in the stream while they wait for their match and anyone else that wants to watch can join in too. I feel like that would be a much more hype tourney experience for online. One of the best things about a regular tourney is the social experience and crowd reaction to matches and i feel like a stream could accomplish this.

Has anything like this been attempted before? are there any drawbacks or potential flaws for this idea?

I've entered plenty of these for street fighter 4 on PC. It gets pretty hype as there's actual commentators and all the matches happen in real time. The only flaws that occurred with this is that decisions have to be made on the fly on whose match becomes the next streamed one, and sometimes this leads to issues where the streamer isn't able to spectate the match so you get downtime in the stream of nothing happening. The TO's used a swiss bracket system where once it was done they took the top 8 players and put them in a final 8 man bracket. Overall with 25-ish players it would take around 3 hours.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea I kinda tried to make that happen before, doing much smaller 4-8 man brackets, but its hard to get commitments from people. Would be better for sure though. p2p ability should be required because who knows when the servers might crap out.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
I recently found out that if you tap your control stick about halfway up, you can perform a range of medium hops (higher than short hops, but lower than a full jump). Do people actually use advantage of this?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yes. if you flick the stick upwards the full hop is higher than c button. if you flick it lightly, the stick short hop is higher than the c button. some combos don't work without stick jumping to reach the opponent, for instance. there are a couple different heights you can get with the stick.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Do people actually use advantage of this?
Here's Isai (fox) vs Firo (ness) 3 at 29s.
Look at how high Fox goes when he goes up the platform with an Uair into U-tilt in the combo. I can't get that height on keyboard (unless I mess around with my settings and change it for good)

Now, I don't know how common that height is for controller players, I guess I've never noticed, but that jump height from the example is pretty good to use on DL, you barely go over the platform etc.

Related to that, here's that video made by Semper: All Stick Jumps Are NOT Created Equal!

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
Well how is a homeboy suppose to get better?
Play with me!
Emmi is still playing too.

add me on Skype?
riggidy_roll

Also, questions:

- Is it possible to do a medium hop with the c-buttons? I've been told it is, but I can't seem to do it, even in 1/4.
- What do you need for frame advance (TAS) play? I believe you have to have Mupen but could someone clarify.
- Is there a code to remove the frame that displays when you pause a VS game? I remember reading things about removing the Training Mode HUD.
- Can you use these cheats in Mupen/TAS.

I was thinking it would be cool to somehow create a TAS VS match, & every frame you pause and set the camera to an angle, take a screenshot, advance, repeat. Then you could compile the frames and create a sort of cinematic TAS fight. Does this make any sense lol?

Sangoku

Smash Master
1) What do you mean by medium hop? If you're talking about stick jumps that depend on range input, then no since the c button has only one possible range (obviously, since it's a button). The only thing you can do with it is vary the timing (3 frames or less -> short hop, more than 3 frames -> full hop).

2) You need to have Mupen to pause the game and advance frame by frame (look out the hotkeys for these two). The recording feature and savestates are also crucial. And finally the TAS input plugin is really useful for precise movement.

3) I don't think there's such a code.

4) No, cheats can only be used in Project 64. What you can do in Mupen though is directly change the values of addresses of interest using Cheatengine (Madao's table is really useful there).

5) You wouldn't be able to pause every frame. And good luck with that, a regular match is already so long to make I can't imagine if you had to add the pausing + camera rotating process...

mixa

Banned via Warnings
- Is there a code to remove the frame that displays when you pause a VS game? I remember reading things about removing the Training Mode HUD.
edit: wait, now I'm not sure what you mean by 'the frame that displays when you pause'. Anyway here's my answer when I was thinking you wanted HUD removed from the pause screen:

Code:
Cheat33="Misc\HUD Removed\Resume (All Modes)",8104685C 0000,8104685E 0000,81046864 0000,81046866 0000
Cheat33_N=Removes stock heads, %, etc from the screen.
Cheat34="Misc\HUD Removed\Pause Screen (All Modes)",81046860 0000,81046862 0000
Or you can download a cheat file I organized for myself: link. But it only has Smash (U) cheats. If you use this, the HUD removal is under Misc. There's a cheat that allows you to freely rotate the camera, it's probably in that cheat file already but I haven't put it in to work yet.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
edit: wait, now I'm not sure what you mean by 'the frame that displays when you pause'. Anyway here's my answer when I was thinking you wanted HUD removed from the pause screen:

Code:
Cheat33="Misc\HUD Removed\Resume (All Modes)",8104685C 0000,8104685E 0000,81046864 0000,81046866 0000
Or you can download a cheat file I organized for myself: link. But it only has Smash (U) cheats. If you use this, the HUD removal is under Misc. There's a cheat that allows you to freely rotate the camera, it's probably in that cheat file already but I haven't put it in to work yet.

Oh dude, that cheat file is so good.
But yeah exactly what I needed, thanks.

I was thinking of doing a cinematic sort of combo video, using those Camera Modifier codes and the Remove HUD code. Although seeing as you can only use these codes in PJ64, there's no way of frame advance.

Is there a way to record, say, the input of a combo, and play it over with the camera modifiers on? That way you could get some really cool combo videos with multiple angles.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings

Code:
link is 404

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Is there a way to record, say, the input of a combo, and play it over with the camera modifiers on? That way you could get some really cool combo videos with multiple angles.
So, when Madao first came out with the hitbox code, first thing I thought was watching old matches that are .krec (inputs recorded by the emulator) in hitbox mode, but I haven't been able to do it, not sure it's possible too.
Madao seems to be gathering a lot of knowledge about this stuff, you could ask how hard it would be for him to find what you want for Mupen, the cheat does exist in PJ64, so it's definitely possible to find it in the cheat engine.

Meanwhile, I don't know what emulator you use, but cheat activation in Project64 1.7 generally needs less screen loadings to update than in Project64k. I know that for the hurtbox colors, for example, 64k requires you to load a new screen, 64 1.7 updates it right away.

link is 404
My bad. I forgot that the direct link would go 404 eventually.

Here it is: new link

And now there's Total Control Pause-Camera, and No Zoom-In Pause. (all cheats done by not-me: Nokabure, Madao, etc)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Herere is a bit of a conondrum, how are all of the kKB players going to play at apex also lol phone misspellings

mixa

Banned via Warnings
2 players per keyboard of course. and if it's one of those keyboards that holding x number of keys locks all the rest, even better.

Sangoku

Smash Master
^Are you going to Apex? And by the way, are you going to record Samus? If so, do you need her frame count? I'm not pushing you, but just to know if I compute her frame count as well or not.

reallyfastcar

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering how you jab cancel?
With mario mainly do you just tap the joystick down while e is punching then grab?

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Just wondering how you jab cancel?
With mario mainly do you just tap the joystick down while e is punching then grab?

Just jab once + grab immediately after. (So A+R). It's obviously easier when at lower %s when the knock back of the jab is weaker. Works best against a shielding opponent and/or opponent near a wall.

Mario, Luigi, Ness and Pikachu are the only characters who can do it.

M!nt

Smash Champion
It's pretty weird but once you get the timing down it's pretty easy to do. Try to lean when to use it though and don't do it every time you want to grab like me :c Some people di away after the jab.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Just jab once + grab immediately after. (So A+R). It's obviously easier when at lower %s when the knock back of the jab is weaker. Works best against a shielding opponent and/or opponent near a wall.

Mario, Luigi, Ness and Pikachu are the only characters who can do it.
You do NOT need to press R as a timing after pressing A(Jab). You can press A to Jab, then IMMEDIATELY hold R, and if the Jab connected, you will grab.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I think you meant the grab animation would occur

lol

but yeah, you're right. he probably meant that. but you don't need to connect the jab for the grab to come out, that's why I assumed otherwise. edit: maybe it's possible to find a scenario where you'll miss the jab but connect the grab (on Saffron?)

T-bone1

Smash Rookie
For those of you who have switched from keyboard to controller, how long did it take you to get back to the level you were on keyboard? Were there any specific things you practiced that helped, or did you just play normally until it felt comfortable?

I tried a controller for the first time yesterday and felt completely useless on it...

Annex

Smash Ace
Hopefully this is a dumb question, but is there a trick to doing up-b out of shield or is it just timing?
I've never been able to do it with DK and it seems pretty essential.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
To make the input easier, just hold Up while pressing B and C at the same time.
hmm why c as well?

although i don't suppose it makes a difference for most of the cast if you immediately upb upon jumping oos. i know there's a definite difference for bbygrl

mixa

Banned via Warnings
baby guuurl twist awaaaaaay

supersteve, when you can't do technique, make sure that you:

1) know the input - I doubt that there is a complex chain of inputs in this game. even if the timing is hard, they're easy to grasp.
2) find out what you are doing wrong - when you try X, what comes out instead? from that you know if you're early or late (or wrong, if you didn't do learn the input properly)

Top Bottom