• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy that Dark Pit made it in?

Are you happy Dark Pit is in Smash 4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
I kinda like that he's, although I mostly don't care; I wasn't expecting him to be in, but looking back at the Palutena trailer I guess it makes some sense, and I guess it also makes some sense that Dark Pit is a clone character, as well, considering he's the literal incomplete dark "clone" of Pit.

Overall: Now that he's in, I don't really mind it; I wouldn't really want him out now.

Also, about those with the logic that "Sakurai needs to step down": no, please. Clones are pretty much bonus characters added in with little spare time; they likely wouldn't have had time to make completely new characters even if they didn't bother with the clones. It could've been a situation like "3 more clone characters or no more characters past the intended roster". People will get somewhat used to it eventually, regardless of whether or not they like it. Besides, there's still that possibility of the final 4 being DLC/crosslinking, so that's even more content with the clone characters such as DP as nice bonuses if nothing more.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
People said the same thing about Wolf and ROB, remember? Pretty clearly people warmed up to them, and will to DP also.
Notice how neither ROB or Wolf have cloned movesets nor are literally a narrative clone of someone. In fact, the only narrative clones people like, Mewtwo and Snake, didn't even get in again.

People will warm up to Dark Pit as much as they will Pichu and Dr. Mario. Other clones, if you will.

Last edited:

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
Its kind of bittersweet, I enjoyed his character in uprising and I'm glad that he is in, but I really don't like the fact that he is a clone with all the weapons from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sakurai probably had extra time and just went and added some clones in.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Daaaang....all the hate on this guy. I thought a lot of people would be excited about him considering he was one of the most popular Kid Icarus characters.
God people....you ask too much from Sakurai. >.> Even when he goes out of his way to add an extra popular character- you complain.
Very. Lousy.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Notice how neither ROB or Wolf have cloned movesets nor are literally a narrative clone of someone. In fact, the only narrative clones people like, Mewtwo and Snake, didn't even get in again.

People will warm up to Dark Pit as much as they will Pichu and Dr. Mario. Other clones, if you will.
People loved Dr. Mario, what are you talking about? Pichu? The difference being that he's literally a worse version of Pikachu by design.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
But nope we get hardly any new DK or Metroid content.
I'm sorry, but why do people keep saying that we got almost no Metroid content when that is false?
We have the titular creature as an Assist Trophy, and we got Dark Samus and Mother Brain as new assists as well.
We have Ridley who had two boss incarnations last time and is going to be a stage boss this time around.
We got Pyrosphere as a new stage.
We got Metroid, Zoomer, Reo and Kihunter as enemies in Smash Run. In this mode, Power Bomb is one of the powers that you can access.
And the Samus/Zero Suit Samus separation, where ZSS got a new Final Smash.

Tell me again that Metroid "hardly" gets any content.

I'll tell you how happy I am: The roster would literally be better if Dark Pit was removed and not replaced with anybody. That is how bad an inclusion dark pit is. He is worse than nothing.
A factually wrong statement.

People really throw an unnecessary hissy fit when they have more options.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
People loved Dr. Mario, what are you talking about? Pichu? The difference being that he's literally a worse version of Pikachu by design.
According to Shortie's poll that he has been running for years, Dr. Mario doesn't even come up due to how little votes he receives for a return. Mewtwo always makes the Top 10 while Roy appears in the Top 50. Even R.O.B. is on radar at 1247 votes compared to Dr. Mario in the most recent poll.

If you're saying people are going to love Dark Pit the way we loved Dr. Mario, that's definitely not a compliment to Dark Pit.

Your turn to throw out a citation of how apparently clones not named Roy are loved in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I actually don't mind that he's in, really. A bonus character is a bonus character and at this point, I'll take what I can get.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
According to Shortie's poll that he has been running for years, Dr. Mario doesn't even come up due to how little votes he receives for a return. Mewtwo always makes the Top 10 while Roy appears in the Top 50. Even R.O.B. is on radar compared to Dr. Mario at 1247 votes in the most recent poll.

If you're saying people are going to love Dark Pit the way we loved Dr. Mario, that's definitely not a compliment to Dark Pit.

Your turn to throw out a citation of how apparently Dr. Mario was loved.
It's just a random poll. It's meaningless because of inherent bias due to it's location.

Yes, people warmed up to Dr. Mario. Just think about the kids who grew up with Melee and weren't bitter little turds yet. Characters instantly get a bump in their fanbase by their inclusion in SSB, and that is that. Pichu, on the other hand, had lukewarm reception from it's own fandom. This carried over to SSB, much like what happened to Lucas in Japan.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
It's just a random poll. It's meaningless because of inherent bias due to it's location.

Yes, people warmed up to Dr. Mario. Just think about the kids who grew up with Melee and weren't bitter little turds yet. Characters instantly get a bump in their fanbase by their inclusion in SSB, and that is that. Pichu, on the other hand, had lukewarm reception from it's own fandom. This carried over to SSB, much like what happened to Lucas in Japan.
What inherent bias? This poll was provided, without anyone getting to see the results at the time of voting in each incarnation of the poll, across Smashboards, GameFAQs, /v/, and various other gaming websites. The only bias here is yours dismissing years of data collected through thousands of votes. That's far from meaningless.

Guess what? I was one of those kids who grew up with Melee, so don't think I can't relate. Dr. Mario was nothing special to me, and the poll data shows that clearly plenty of people relate. Now if the argument is that the only people allowed to have any say in this are people below a certain age, clearly you're biased beyond reason in that you're hand-picking the reception of clones into a certain demographic.

Either way, my actual data has more weight than your words that seem to get thrown around a lot (ported Bulborb models, lol). If you wanted to give an actual source for once, maybe you'd have something more to your side of this beyond "Disagree with everything he says because it knocks down the high and mighty Dark Pit". Your words are only that of your own opinion until you do, budd.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
There's no poll option for me.

I was at first indifferent (knowing clones take little effort), though a little offset. However, I'm rapidly warming up to him and, based on what's developing and being shown, I'm now thinking of making him my first main prospect for Smash 4. Plus, I'm loving his theme. Lol.

I wouldn't straight up say "yes" but more of an acceptance or mild welcome to him. For example, I hate Ness, but the idea of having Ness be a character is like, "yeah, sure. Come on in, you vet you."

Last edited:

Tiradash

Smash Rookie
I am happy that he is in. I wished for him to have more differences to Pit, but it´s much better than not having him at all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If they wanted a dark characters as a clone they should have included Dark Samus, at least there's a bigger aesthetical difference there, not to mention Metroid is a bit under-repped. And if color swaps were the only options to make as seperate clones, then I'd even have prefered Alph, at least he could have Rock Pikmin.

Dark Pit is a color swap in the eyes of anyone who hasn't played Uprising, which will be 95% of the Smash consumer base, and since Pit's moveset is rather balanced it's a bit tough making any obvious differences in it when you only change the properties.

So no, I'm not happy with it, at this point he seems like the worst inclusion Smash has ever had. Not that there are many Smash inclusions I dislike anyways, but between him, Pac-Man, Miis and Rosalina he definitely takes the prize.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If they wanted a dark characters as a clone they should have included Dark Samus, at least there's a bigger aesthetical difference there, not to mention Metroid is a bit under-repped. And if color swaps were the only options to make as seperate clones, then I'd even have prefered Alph, at least he could have Rock Pikmin.

Dark Pit is a color swap in the eyes of anyone who hasn't played Uprising, which will be 95% of the Smash consumer base, and since Pit's moveset is rather balanced it's a bit tough making any obvious differences in it when you only change the properties.

So no, I'm not happy with it, at this point he seems like the worst inclusion Smash has ever had. Not that there are many Smash inclusions I dislike anyways, but between him, Pac-Man, Miis and Rosalina he definitely takes the prize.
Dark Samus was clearly planned to be an Assist Trophy from the beginning while Alph's gameplay didn't turn out to be different enough like Lucina to make him a separate character. Then again, no Dark Pit wouldn't have equaled Alp or Dark Samus in his stead so saying that he is the worst addition is pretty much exaggerating how "bad" his inclusion is, especially coming from someone who is saying that Pacman and Rosalina are bad choices as well.

Also, how do you know that 95% of the Smash fanbase haven't played Uprising when Brawl pretty much put Pit back on the map for many? Unless you were saying this based on actual data you managed to gather, this is probably just a false claim. And even if that was the case, then that would make most complaints overblown since people would basically be hating on someone they are ignorant about.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dark Samus was clearly planned to be an Assist Trophy from the beginning while Alph's gameplay didn't turn out to be different enough like Lucina to make him a separate character. Then again, no Dark Pit wouldn't have equaled Alp or Dark Samus in his stead so saying that he is the worst addition is pretty much exaggerating how "bad" his inclusion is, especially coming from someone who is saying that Pacman and Rosalina are bad choices as well.

Also, how do you know that 95% of the Smash fanbase haven't played Uprising when Brawl pretty much put Pit back on the map for many? Unless you were saying this based on actual data you managed to gather, this is probably just a false claim. And even if that was the case, then that would make most complaints overblown since people would basically be hating on someone they are ignorant about.
I'm saying that because Uprising is a niché game that has currently sold a bit over a million copies, something Smash 3DS has already done in 4 days. Smash Bros is a huge franchise and is now even a handheld game aswell, Brawl sold 12 million copies and it's safe to say this game is going to outdo it by quite a bit. Hence why very few people will recognize Dark Pit as a seperate character, even Dr. Mario had a poor reception from the general public back with Melee and he's more different from his original counterpart than Dark Pit is from his.

They could always have cut Dark Samus as an AT if anything, the model and everything was there. I do understand that though, which is why I went ahead and said I'd also have prefered Alph. You also don't really have anything to base your Alph statement on, you say his gameplay didn't turn out to be different enough, but as we've seen with Dark Pit it doesn't even need to be very different at all, with Lucina and Dr. Mario there are noteable differences aside from properties, with Dark Pit there isn't, thus Alph could have filled that role rather easily.

I don't think I'm exaggerating how bad his inclusion is, because I'm really not as upset as you make me out to be, I think he's a lame character but that's it, nothing big at all. No need to discuss the Pac-Man and Rosalina comment since that's entirely subjective.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Daaaang....all the hate on this guy. I thought a lot of people would be excited about him considering he was one of the most popular Kid Icarus characters.
God people....you ask too much from Sakurai. >.> Even when he goes out of his way to add an extra popular character- you complain.
Very. Lousy.
Agreed. This thread should almost just be renamed the "Dark Pit Character bashing thread". I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their own opinions, but seriously? Cut Dark Pit some slack.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
People said the same thing about Wolf and ROB, remember? Pretty clearly people warmed up to them, and will to DP also.
You'll have difficulty warming me up to such a heinous example of Kid Icarus Bias and over representation.

D

Deleted member

Let's see the good side of the things: with the inclusion of Dark Pit (and Lucina), that will strengthen the players' potential incitement and interest to give a glance on Kid Icarus: Uprising (and Fire Emblem: Awakening).

...But it is the only good side of the things.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What inherent bias? This poll was provided, without anyone getting to see the results at the time of voting in each incarnation of the poll, across Smashboards, GameFAQs, /v/, and various other gaming websites. The only bias here is yours dismissing years of data collected through thousands of votes. That's far from meaningless.

Guess what? I was one of those kids who grew up with Melee, so don't think I can't relate. Dr. Mario was nothing special to me, and the poll data shows that clearly plenty of people relate. Now if the argument is that the only people allowed to have any say in this are people below a certain age, clearly you're biased beyond reason in that you're hand-picking the reception of clones into a certain demographic.

Either way, my actual data has more weight than your words that seem to get thrown around a lot (ported Bulborb models, lol). If you wanted to give an actual source for once, maybe you'd have something more to your side of this beyond "Disagree with everything he says because it knocks down the high and mighty Dark Pit". Your words are only that of your own opinion until you do, budd.
The data is meaningless because it doesn't take a very big side of the SSB fandom into account: The most casual of the casuals. They're impossible to take into account too.

I know a few. They were pretty excited to see a cut character return.

I never said that the Smash Run Bulborb was ported over. I suggest you use your precious data and look at my posts and see that I never said that. I'd bet money that I never said that the Bulborb in the 3DS version was ported over.

People considered DP to be more then a color swap even before Uprising. And wouldn't two Pikmin characters be overrepping a bit

You'll have difficulty warming me up to such a heinous example of Kid Icarus Bias and over representation.
People said the exact same thing when the Brawl roster was leaked about Wolf, lol.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Except that that is not how it works. Dark Pit's absence wouldn't mean that other content would magically take up his place.
There's a reason games have a planning phase and development stages where they decide what to include and how to implement it. No matter how you want to look at it, No Dark Pit wouldn't equal improved custom moves or whatever, don't know why you are even drawing a connection there.
At the very least, Pit could have 8 additional palette swaps (similar to how Little Mac gets 16). As for planning, it appears that Dark Pit's inclusion was conceived earlier and not a "last minute" thing, but from what I'm learning about him, there really wasn't much to "plan" in the first place in regards to Dark Pit, since he is primarily based off of Pit's models and attacks. I can't tell what the custom moves for Pit and Dark Pit are at the moment (although my guess is that they will probably be largely identical), but as for 'improvement', I meant something in terms of enhancing visuals or effects (at least for Pit's own moves - giving Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm to Pit is one example, or allowing Pit to gain Angel Ring as a custom move instead of an "elemental Upperdash Arm" variant) or possible balancing.. I mean, it's not like the group of people who worked on Dark Pit's aspects, such as custom moves, would just be sitting around twiddling their thumbs - there has to be something else that they would be working on if Dark Pit was excluded as a playable character and restricted to a palette swap option.

Honestly, I would have rather seen them delay the game and add more content. There is apparently going to be nothing of a single player mode on the Wii U. Characters removed from Wii U version for 3DS verion (Ice Climbers).

I say delay the game and fix it. Put in Dixie Kong, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo. Add a decent single player mode like Melee but have a full level from every series and not just Zelda and Mario.

With Dark Pit, why don't we just add?

Dark Zelda (from Twilight Princess)
Metal Mario
Shadow Mario
Baby Peach
Mr. L
Albino Donkey Kong
Pichu

Yay great roster full of clones.
Sakurai is against content bloat, so he sets tight deadlines outside of Brawl.
Can you explain what you mean by "content bloat"? Is that just the presence of unnecessary content? Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS) is already lacking a bit in content (at least in my opinion), with things like the omission of online-enabled Smash Run and limited music adjustment for stages; I would think that more time would help in getting the content up to standard..

I would've liked for the game to be delayed (not sure if a Holiday 2014 release would still be a possibility)..

The thing that really scares me about Dark Pit is that he might not have been a last-minute clone the way everyone defends him as.

The figures Sakurai tweeted over a year back as inspiration for the character modelers...

His appearance in the Palutena trailer and artwork...

Considering all of the other Kid Icarus bias that went into the game, I wouldn't say it would have been above Sakurai to have planned to add Dark Pit as a clone from the start. And that's what really infuriates me. That would mean they took the time to decide early in development to add Dark Pit, possibly with the insult to injury being to conceive him as a clone. Meaning contrary to Dark Pit's support, there's a very good chance he did get in over other characters like Lucas or Wolf.

I've been salty over some of the newcomers thus far, but Dark Pit easily takes the cake. There's no justification for Dark Pit as being anything more than an alt. The game is already 20% Kid Icarus content alone. This is just too much.
Wow... I would hate for Dark Pit to have been conceived as a clone from the get-go - Kid Icarus: Uprising has way too many items and techniques (even from the paltry footage that I've glimpsed) for that to even be passable as an option.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
At the very least, Pit could have 8 additional palette swaps (similar to how Little Mac gets 16). As for planning, it appears that Dark Pit's inclusion was conceived earlier and not a "last minute" thing, but from what I'm learning about him, there really wasn't much to "plan" in the first place in regards to Dark Pit, since he is primarily based off of Pit's models and attacks. I can't tell what the custom moves for Pit and Dark Pit are at the moment (although my guess is that they will probably be largely identical), but as for 'improvement', I meant something in terms of enhancing visuals or effects (at least for Pit's own moves - giving Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm to Pit is one example, or allowing Pit to gain Angel Ring as a custom move instead of an "elemental Upperdash Arm" variant) or possible balancing.. I mean, it's not like the group of people who worked on Dark Pit's aspects, such as custom moves, would just be sitting around twiddling their thumbs - there has to be something else that they would be working on if Dark Pit was excluded as a playable character and restricted to a palette swap option.

Can you explain what you mean by "content bloat"? Is that just the presence of unnecessary content? Super Smash Bros. 4 (3DS) is already lacking a bit in content (at least in my opinion), with things like the omission of online-enabled Smash Run and limited music adjustment for stages; I would think that more time would help in getting the content up to standard..

I would've liked for the game to be delayed (not sure if a Holiday 2014 release would still be a possibility)..

Wow... I would hate for Dark Pit to have been conceived as a clone from the get-go - Kid Icarus: Uprising has way too many items and techniques (even from the paltry footage that I've glimpsed) for that to even be passable as an option.
Content bloat is delaying a game for the sake of additional stages, characters, and anything else that isn't outright necessary. It is the director's job to determine when the game is finished.

SonicMario

Smash Master
People said the exact same thing when the Brawl roster was leaked about Wolf, lol.
There's a difference between a completely different character that's established with a notable role of being the rival of the main protagonist that at the time had been around the series for more then a decade and a character who's only been around for about two years and wasn't all that important in-game and design-wise a recolor of the main character.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, my personal thoughts that Dark Pit is just objectively the worst inclusion of the series. His inclusion hasn't ruined the game for me at all. But I'm certainly not happy with his inclusion, nor will I ever be. I didn't like Roy, Pichu, or Dr. Mario back in Melee for certain reasons. (Roy way too soon, Pichu was relatively useless, and Dr. Mario makes me facepalm in general). And Dark Pit managed to be a worse overall inclusion then all three. While he's not as too soon as Roy was or as useless as a fighter as Pichu, and he's even a separate character all his own unlike Dr. Mario. Cause with Dr. Mario being in Smash 4, he is actually somewhat different from his source given that his down+b is the Mario Tornado, plus the other subtle differences, and the fact that he is a returning veteran just gives him more merit automatically. Meanwhile Dark Pit doesn't even have the history that Dr. Mario has (Being around since 1990), and is closer to a Melee-esque clone for Pit.

Before anyone brings up Pokemon and Greninja regarding how soon he is. There's a big difference between Pokemon and Kid Icarus. Pokemon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises and they need to advertise the newest generation somehow. Greninja just happening to be the one that was chosen (Granted Greninja before we found out Dark Pit was going to be in the game was my least favorite inclusion so far simply because his debut game won't even be a year old when the 3DS version is released. At least being the evolved form of one of the starters makes him major, as well as having his very own moveset). But as for Kid Icarus, in terms of canon games Uprising came nearly three decades after the first Kid Icarus (There was a Game Boy Kid Icarus game, but it's not considered canon. Even if you do count the GB Kid Icarus, that still only makes it just a little over two decades since the last Kid Icarus game prior to Uprising). For this reason, I once thought even adding Palutena would be pushing it. And even when I got more comfortable with her inevitable inclusion after the Smash Direct (Seriously, there were so many things just yelling PALUTENA IS A NEWCOMER in that direct) I still feel a little bit of that, but at least Palutena has been a part of the series since the beginning. Dark Pit was literally created from Uprising itself and really didn't have that much bearing from within the game. Palutena's moveset alone is good enough Uprising representation in the roster, we didn't need more. And even if Kid Icarus did earn a 3rd spot, Medusa and/or Hades would be better ideas. The former being the main antagonist of the first game, as well as some degree of importance in Uprising. And the latter being just as new as Dark Pit, but had a much more major role and already has become a really popular Nintendo villain. It doesn't help either that I get quite a bit of Shadow the Hedgehog vibes from Dark Pit.

Dark Pit's inclusion does not ruin the game for me. Though it does certainly lessen Smash 4's Newcomer Pool's overall quality. When I have to use him in Classic and All-Star to get his trophies I'm going to do the lowest difficulty just to get him over with with while I do all the other characters besides Dr. Mario (Who will also receive more or less the same treatment as Dark Pit :p) on at least the default difficulty.

And if nothing else, I can at least do this (1:16-1:17). Over, and over, and over again :smirk:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
The data is meaningless because it doesn't take a very big side of the SSB fandom into account: The most casual of the casuals. They're impossible to take into account too.

I know a few. They were pretty excited to see a cut character return.

I never said that the Smash Run Bulborb was ported over. I suggest you use your precious data and look at my posts and see that I never said that. I'd bet money that I never said that the Bulborb in the 3DS version was ported over.
The most casual of the casuals wouldn't even know characters to vote for and wouldn't be able to even give us data, meaning what conception of what's useless and what's not is very distorted. I bet you wouldn't even be saying this if I showed you the Famitsu Smash 4 poll held in Japan a while back and how high Dark Pit placed on that. You are arguing with fanboy bias rather than with consistent reasoning, budd. Shocker, I know.

And these few immediately counter-act the majority of the opinion? I'm not asking for the life story of your circle of friends. I'm asking for facts of the Smash Bros. community as a whole, not what few people you know like Dr. Mario. Shortie's poll data and glancing over the Smash 4 community boards alone tells me that people would be excited to see Mewtwo return more than anyone else. Not Dr. Mario, and certainly not after Dark Pit being added.

Hahaha, are you that sure you didn't?
What if it doesn't have any enemies in SSBU? It'd make more sense to put all the KIU enemies on the 3DS because they already have models. Who knows, there might be 20 Pikmin enemies on Wii U. That, and we don't have a full count of SR enemies.
Sakurai didn't make Pikmin, by the way. He wouldn't give us 20 Pikmin enemies on the Wii U version for the reason that he doesn't have bias towards the series. You'd sooner do a better job convincing me he'll give us an excessive amount of Kirby enemies (when there might not even be enemies on the Wii U version in the first place).
They were directly ported over. That's why I mentioned Pikmin: because it'd be easy to port them over.
Have you seen the models and animations? They were made from scratch, not ported. You really need to stop making things up.
The enemies? Yeah, they are. Not sure on the 3DS ATs.
You said, with clear and bold letters "That's why I mentioned Pikmin: because it'd be easy to port them over." As in, that's why you mentioned Pikmin enemies, because they could be ported over. Bulborb is a Pikmin enemy. You are explicitly mentioning Bulborb as a result. Regardless of what you meant to say (or as I'll believe, what you're going to attempt to retcon yourself towards saying), this is simply pure quotation taking from the entire paragraphs each of us gave out, and, regardless of being the one you intended or not, is the message you gave out with your word choice. I'll take all of that money now.

And in all of this, still not a single link from yourself to back up and prove anything you're saying. I'm starting to think you're not even arguing seriously and that defending Dark Pit without a single thing to back up your claims is just some excellent troll attempt. There's no other reason why someone would argue like they've flunked out on high school persuasive writing. If that's what it is, I gotta say, well played. That said, I guess I win by default if all of this really was a troll. I guess we both got what we wanted! It's settled then. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are two of the least liked characters on the roster and that they'll go into staying that way for the rest of their time in the Smash Bros. series. Glad we could reach an agreement.

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Content bloat is delaying a game for the sake of additional stages, characters, and anything else that isn't outright necessary. It is the director's job to determine when the game is finished.
Because 16 Kid Icarus enemies and 2 characters was outright necessary, amirite?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I advise you to calm down before things get uglier.
With all due respect, is there really a way to calm down without ceasing the argument altogether? In the one thread meant to discuss one's pleasure or displeasure with Dark Pit, it's not easy being told that Dark Pit was well deserved over most other series getting any actual content and being expected to just sit down and not get to say anything in return. I haven't resorted flaming thus far, and I don't intend to if this continues.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With all due respect, is there really a way to calm down without ceasing the argument altogether? In the one thread meant to discuss one's pleasure or displeasure with Dark Pit, it's not easy being told that Dark Pit was well deserved over most other series getting any actual content and being expected to just sit down and not get to say anything in return. I haven't resorted flaming thus far, and I don't intend to if this continues.
I just left a friendly warning. And one not just directed at you in particular.

You are, of course, allowed to disagree with Dark Pit's inclusion in Smash 3DS/Wii U, even though it means we stand in opposite sides. :p

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I just left a friendly warning. And one not just directed at you in particular.

You are, of course, allowed to disagree with Dark Pit's inclusion in Smash 3DS/Wii U, even though it means we stand in opposite sides. :p
Much obliged.

And of course! I'm not one to say that others are not allowed to like Dark Pit. I merely find it harder to tolerate some reasoning than others is all. And that's what I'm here for. #SocialJusticeWarrior #WhatIsMyLife

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I'm sorry, but why do people keep saying that we got almost no Metroid content when that is false?
We have the titular creature as an Assist Trophy, and we got Dark Samus and Mother Brain as new assists as well.
We have Ridley who had two boss incarnations last time and is going to be a stage boss this time around.
We got Pyrosphere as a new stage.
We got Metroid, Zoomer, Reo and Kihunter as enemies in Smash Run. In this mode, Power Bomb is one of the powers that you can access.
And the Samus/Zero Suit Samus separation, where ZSS got a new Final Smash.

Tell me again that Metroid "hardly" gets any content.
Alright maybe I shouldn't have included Metroid with Donkey Kong there. Donkey Kong is truly lacking in content, while Metroid is decently represented I guess.

Agreed on Assist Trophies, though I think Dark Samus should have been a clone/semiclone if Ridley wasn't planned.
I'll give you the stage too.
By they way, does the Metroid enemy act different then the AT? I'm honestly curious.
I wouldn't call the ZSS separation itself new content, but I suppose the Final Smash and the Up-special count.

Of course, this is only coming from a Metroid fan who's only played a few games in the series. I'd like to hear a mega fan's opinion on what is considered adequate representation.

I'll still stand by my other points, if anyone wants to argue those.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so you would rather have less content in the game instead of a little bonus playable character?
What sense does that make?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Okay, so you would rather have less content in the game instead of a little bonus playable character?
What sense does that make?
Supposedly in that it shows Sakurai means it when he says they didn't have time to fit in more presence of the ____ series. If he makes a surplus of content that goes into one series while leaving other series high and dry for actual content, it just becomes an insult to injury to see that last drop of effort go into even more of a series that doesn't need more.

Imagine it like there being a food shortage in a refugee camp, but that your family is only given a few slices of bread while certain other families of the same or lesser size get an entire loaf. When your family is a series you like while Kid Icarus is one of those privileged families, that's exactly how it feels.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Supposedly in that it shows Sakurai means it when he says they didn't have time to fit in more presence of the ____ series. If he makes a surplus of content that goes into one series while leaving other series high and dry for actual content, it just becomes an insult to injury to see that last drop of effort go into even more of a series that doesn't need more.

Imagine it like there being a food shortage in a refugee camp, but that your family is only given a few slices of bread while certain other families of the same or lesser size get an entire loaf. When your family is a series you like while Kid Icarus is one of those privileged families, that's exactly how it feels.
Just gonna say, I could understand people being annoyed if, say, Metroid or Donkey Kong got a last-minute clone character.

"Oh, you wanted Ridley / K. Rool? Sorry, not enough time. Here, have Dark Samus / Funky Kong as your wooden spoons!"

I'm totally playing devil's advocate here. I'd be okay with that, but I can see how it'd sit harshly on certain folks' recollections.

Incidentally, I'd pretty sure you're being hyperbolic when you say it's "exactly" like that. Good analogy, but maybe overstating it just a wee bit, m'darling.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Just gonna say, I could understand people being annoyed if, say, Metroid or Donkey Kong got a last-minute clone character.

"Oh, you wanted Ridley / K. Rool? Sorry, not enough time. Here, have Dark Samus / Funky Kong as your wooden spoons!"

I'm totally playing devil's advocate here. I'd be okay with that, but I can see how it'd sit harshly on certain folks' recollections.

Incidentally, I'd pretty sure you're being hyperbolic when you say it's "exactly" like that. Good analogy, but maybe overstating it just a wee bit, m'darling.
Even if they got a clone character, that would still be more generous than said clone character going to a series that already has gotten so much new for having one game. Donkey Kong got a song and two enemies. Metroid got 2 assist trophies and 4 enemies. Neither received a new stage on the 3DS version, and neither got a new character despite being some of the most requested newcomers to date. These are two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, period. Kid Icarus on the other hand received 2 characters, a bunch of items, 16 enemies, a new stage, and new music. How would you state the analogy then? I want to know what the analogy would more likely be if that doesn't seem like the former two are being starved for content while the latter is receiving way more than it should.

Thank you for tactfully delivering your point, by the way. It's a lot easier to talk about this and be civil when I don't feel taunted.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Even if they got a clone character, that would still be more generous than said clone character going to a series that already has gotten so much new for having one game. Donkey Kong got a song and two enemies. Metroid got 2 assist trophies and 4 enemies. Neither received a new stage on the 3DS version, and neither got a new character despite being some of the most requested newcomers to date. These are two of Nintendo's biggest franchises, period. Kid Icarus on the other hand received 2 characters, a bunch of items, 16 enemies, a new stage, and new music. How would you state the analogy then? I want to know what the analogy would more likely be if that doesn't seem like the former two are being starved for content while the latter is receiving way more than it should.

Thank you for tactfully delivering your point, by the way. It's a lot easier to talk about this and be civil when I don't feel taunted.
Oh, no, I get what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that some people might see it as Sakurai being cold to them and then deciding to just them a condescending consolation prize to make up for it.

I'd be okay with that, as I said, but there are always other perspectives to consider.

As I said, the analogy itself is fine. I just think it's a bit intense to say "not getting the things we want is totally and proportionately equal to legitimate and realistic humanitarian crises". I hope I didn't come across as being a pretentious know-it-all when I said that, I'm just keen to point out that it might be a slightly overwrought turn of phrase. >w<;;

And don't worry about it. Irrespective of how I feel about your views on a personal level, being open-minded and polite is only fair to both sides. It's just common courtesy, yeah?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Oh, no, I get what you're saying. I'm just pointing out that some people might see it as Sakurai being cold to them and then deciding to just them a condescending consolation prize to make up for it.

I'd be okay with that, as I said, but there are always other perspectives to consider.

As I said, the analogy itself is fine. I just think it's a bit intense to say "not getting the things we want is totally and proportionately equal to legitimate and realistic humanitarian crises". I hope I didn't come across as being a pretentious know-it-all when I said that, I'm just keen to point out that it might be a slightly overwrought turn of phrase. >w<;;

And don't worry about it. Irrespective of how I feel about your views on a personal level, being open-minded and polite is only fair to both sides. It's just common courtesy, yeah?
Some of it is probably misdirected, but when looking at the game as a whole, I find it's easy to see that Kid Icarus content was favored over new content for other series and thus come to the conclusion of Kid Icarus bias. Had the other series gotten more love, I don't think I'd even have a problem with all of the Kid Icarus content, honestly.

Thank you, again, for being immediately 10 times more courteous about this than LancerStaff. Kid Icarus getting love isn't the problem I guess. It's more so the love other series didn't get.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Here, have Dark Samus / Funky Kong as your wooden spoons!"
Real talk for a second: I wouldn't even be kind of annoyed if Funky Kong was a Donkey Kong clone. I would understand that it is mainly just a waste of development time, but wow. Funky Kong. That would actually be kind of amazing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The most casual of the casuals wouldn't even know characters to vote for and wouldn't be able to even give us data, meaning what conception of what's useless and what's not is very distorted. I bet you wouldn't even be saying this if I showed you the Famitsu Smash 4 poll held in Japan a while back and how high Dark Pit placed on that. You are arguing with fanboy bias rather than with consistent reasoning, budd. Shocker, I know.

And these few immediately counter-act the majority of the opinion? I'm not asking for the life story of your circle of friends. I'm asking for facts of the Smash Bros. community as a whole, not what few people you know like Dr. Mario. Shortie's poll data and glancing over the Smash 4 community boards alone tells me that people would be excited to see Mewtwo return more than anyone else. Not Dr. Mario, and certainly not after Dark Pit being added.

Hahaha, are you that sure you didn't?

You said, with clear and bold letters "That's why I mentioned Pikmin: because it'd be easy to port them over." As in, that's why you mentioned Pikmin enemies, because they could be ported over. Bulborb is a Pikmin enemy. You are explicitly mentioning Bulborb as a result. Regardless of what you meant to say (or as I'll believe, what you're going to attempt to retcon yourself towards saying), this is simply pure quotation taking from the entire paragraphs each of us gave out, and, regardless of being the one you intended or not, is the message you gave out with your word choice. I'll take all of that money now.

And in all of this, still not a single link from yourself to back up and prove anything you're saying. I'm starting to think you're not even arguing seriously and that defending Dark Pit without a single thing to back up your claims is just some excellent troll attempt. There's no other reason why someone would argue like they've flunked out on high school persuasive writing. If that's what it is, I gotta say, well played. That said, I guess I win by default if all of this really was a troll. I guess we both got what we wanted! It's settled then. Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are two of the least liked characters on the roster and that they'll go into staying that way for the rest of their time in the Smash Bros. series. Glad we could reach an agreement.
Polls don't let us see the thoughts every SSB player, but they do let us see some. If DP scores high in a poll like that, he clearly has a fanbase. But if he gets 15% of votes, that doesn't mean 15% of the SSB fanbase is in favor of him.

It never was Dr. Mario vs Mewtwo. It's Dr. Mario vs nothing. Dr. Mario has more fans then nothing.

Misread once again.
"That's why I mentioned Pikmin: because it'd be easy to port them over." If you don't understand my country drawl, it'd means it would. It would be easy to port them over.
"The enemies? Yeah, they are. Not sure on the 3DS ATs." Pikmin sits at exactly zero ATs. Being that I've been arguing with five people about ten things, I forgot the context. "Have you seen the models and animations? They were made from scratch, not ported. You really need to stop making things up." Doesn't mention Pikmin once.

I don't need a link to prove a character has a fanbase. You're currently surrounded by DP fans, remember? It'd be obtuse of you to think otherwise.

It'd still be Funky clone over Dixie the newcomer. It makes very little difference, it just means people have something different to complain about. I'd wager most of the clone haters would hate a different clone. They'd say no, but that's not how humans work. They were programmed to hate the clones from the beginning.

Some of it is probably misdirected, but when looking at the game as a whole, I find it's easy to see that Kid Icarus content was favored over new content for other series and thus come to the conclusion of Kid Icarus bias. Had the other series gotten more love, I don't think I'd even have a problem with all of the Kid Icarus content, honestly.

Thank you, again, for being immediately 10 times more courteous about this than LancerStaff. Kid Icarus getting love isn't the problem I guess. It's more so the love other series didn't get.
It's kinda hard to expect me to be in a good mood when tons of people are pouring in raging about the clones, posting completely wrong "facts" as to why the character shouldn't be in SSB. You'd probably be in the same boat if there was a "prefect" clone for you.

.........really japan really dark pit over ridley or mewtwo
hopefully we will find out how little changes he have makes him different- every star fox fan jk
Looks like about 90% of DP's moves have some kind of difference, being that he's definitely slower in attacking but more powerful.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Polls don't let us see the thoughts every SSB player, but they do let us see some. If DP scores high in a poll like that, he clearly has a fanbase. But if he gets 15% of votes, that doesn't mean 15% of the SSB fanbase is in favor of him.

It never was Dr. Mario vs Mewtwo. It's Dr. Mario vs nothing. Dr. Mario has more fans then nothing.

Misread once again.
"That's why I mentioned Pikmin: because it'd be easy to port them over." If you don't understand my country drawl, it'd means it would. It would be easy to port them over.
"The enemies? Yeah, they are. Not sure on the 3DS ATs." Pikmin sits at exactly zero ATs. Being that I've been arguing with five people about ten things, I forgot the context. "Have you seen the models and animations? They were made from scratch, not ported. You really need to stop making things up." Doesn't mention Pikmin once.

I don't need a link to prove a character has a fanbase. You're currently surrounded by DP fans, remember? It'd be obtuse of you to think otherwise.

It'd still be Funky clone over Dixie the newcomer. It makes very little difference, it just means people have something different to complain about. I'd wager most of the clone haters would hate a different clone. They'd say no, but that's not how humans work. They were programmed to hate the clones from the beginning.

It's kinda hard to expect me to be in a good mood when tons of people are pouring in raging about the clones, posting completely wrong "facts" as to why the character shouldn't be in SSB. You'd probably be in the same boat if there was a "prefect" clone for you.
But taking a sample out of a group of the SSB fanbase, while not representative of every player, should still give us a general idea of the common perception of a character. For a character to receive very, very minor support in a poll of more than 1000 people across the internet, then that should give an idea that Dark Pit still isn't as generally wanted the way higher-scoring characters are. Like I said, this isn't just a small sample from one part of Smashboards. It's not end-all, but it does have its credibility is my point.

Given, Dr. Mario is better than nothing. However, were it a choice between "Clone or Alternate Costume", you can bet that more people would want Dr. Mario as an alternate costume than a character. That's all I ever heard during the entirety of Smash 4's development. I can only think of two people who wanted Dr. Mario back as an actual character, one of them just so happening to be the head of the old Dark Pit support thread. If we held another survey, either before or after Dark Pit's confirmation, I can guarantee you that more people would prefer Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as costumes than as characters.

When I was saying that, I was under the complete understanding that you were arguing that Pikmin would potentially get 20 enemies in the Wii U version. Considering that you said that very line, I hope you can at least see where we reached that misunderstanding. Still, if the point is that the Kid Icarus enemies were added in great amounts because it's easy, wouldn't it have been easier and more time efficient to have no added them in the first place? That's where another factor must come in, being the active interest in literally giving Kid Icarus twice the amount of enemies as Zelda got, the latter of which being decades older and more easily recognized than the Kid Icarus enemies. Even Mario was dwarfed at a 3:4 ratio.

I'm not asking for a link for the proof of existence of a fanbase. I'd be a moron to say that doesn't exist. I'm asking for a link for tangible proof towards other claims of things like the scale of Kid Icarus's popularity, the reasoning behind other series not deserving more than they got, and word from Sakurai himself. When you otherwise make claims in style of your misspoken words from before, that leaves very little credibility to what you say. Plus, again, while there is the existence of a fanbase, do not forget about the existence of a hatebase as well, which 256 to 125 definitely shows there certainly is.

You acknowledge that people hate clones, yet were trying to defend that people "before they became bitter little turds" liked clones like Dr. Mario in Melee? That's not very consistent of you to flip-flop like that... Anyway, while Funky Kong would have been hated nonetheless for still being a clone, the fact of the matter is that he'd still be the lesser of two evils in that he gives more content to a series that could use it and offers the roster a character that isn't a narrative clone. I'd still be pissed about Funky as well, but I'd sooner have him than Dark Pit when the two series are scaled with one another and are shown that DK is a lot more due for something extra than Kid Icarus is at the late point of development.

There is no "perfect" clone for me. Even Louie from Pikmin, who I run the support thread for, would still be a greater disappointment to me than any unique newcomer if he was at all a clone. I sure wouldn't be as mad, but that doesn't speak exactly mean I'd speak highly of the character in the first place. Since the confirmation that characters can have different voices and names and still be alternate costumes, anyone that could be a clone of the same series should be an alternate costume in the first place. Now if Dark Pit was added as a unique newcomer, understand: I would still be upset that Kid Icarus would have had even more content than it should have, and still pissed off that DK and Metroid got ignored for it, but like Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer, I'd at least be able to appreciate Dark Pit more than any of cloned Louie, Dark Pit, or Funky for the contribution that unique Dark Pit adds to the roster and the gameplay. I'd be pissed off at the character in flavor only, as compared to being mad at both flavor and gameplay the way I am now with a cloned Dark Pit.

And honestly? That's more so your own issue than mine that you're in a bad mood because people don't agree to like Dark Pit with you. Some of the other supporters I've talked to today in the thread are at least able to remain empathetic enough to understand that while they got the character they wanted, other series were not as fortunate, and that a clone of a character in a series that already has so much content is bound to set off some unhappy campers. While they don't agree with me, they can respect my reasoning for not liking Dark Pit. You on the other hand are dead set on defending Dark Pit to the grave as some beloved figure that any criticism against whatsoever is nothing but sacrilege. Liking Dark Pit is not a problem with me, your blatant incapability of accepting others not doing the same, however, is.

Mention that there was some bias for Kid Icarus this time around and that Dark Pit shouldn't have necessarily higher priority to be made a full-fledged character than for another veteran to be restored or for Donkey Kong to have received anything new. That's all I need to know you're even trying to look at this with an open-mind and that you're not too far vested in a Kid Icarus Master Race to understand how others might feel about his inclusion. That much is what little I ask for.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I don't mind him, but I think a few of you forgot that the Kid Icarus series is Sakurai's baby, just like the Kirby series (this was touched on earlier).

For Kirby reps, we have the hero (Kirby), royalty (King Dedede), and a darker hero-like character (Meta Knight). For Kid Icarus, we have the hero (Pit), royalty (Palutena), and a darker hero-like character (Dark Pit). I think Sakurai meant that as the parallel and wanted to force an extra rep from Kid Icarus. While Dark Pit is a villain, it's obvious as I look through this thread that his inclusion didn't satisfy SSB4 fans' thirst for more villains.

That said, questions like "What was Sakurai thinking?" have already been answered. You have to take a look at who's behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom