• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] King of the House 2 (Dallas, TX)

phởHouse

Smash Cadet

Pho House Dallas
5301 Alpha Rd. Ste 24, Dallas TX 75240
Saturday April 19th, 2014​

We are a brand new restaurant based in North Dallas hoping to do our part in the DFW Smash community. Our 8,000 sq ft, two-story venue offers a more than adequate amount of room alongside spacious and comfortable lounges to sit. For those who only wish to spectate, we will provide two spectator-only HD flatscreen TVs and a projector for our top 8. Additionally, our entire restaurant will be at your full disposal be it food, drink, or tournament.

If you guys have any requests or questions, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Parking Information
You are free to park in the parking garage next to the venue
You may also use the "RETAIL" marked parking spots outside the venue

Contact Information
Cory Hoang 469-260-2322 / vietboihuy123@yahoo.com
Carlos Reyna 469-226-9727 / ccarlols@gmail.com
Restaurant 972-661-9960 (ask for Cory)
http://www.phohousedallas.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/254992271350090
http://www.tourneylocator.com/tourney/10236

Venue

Venue/KotH1 Photos
Pho House Dallas (Like us!)
@PhoHouseDallas (Follow us!)

Stream

Tourney Locator (Like us!)
Tourney Locator (Subscribe to us!)
Tourney Locator (Follow us!)

Schedule
10:30 AM - Arrival/Registration
12:00 PM - Doubles Registration Ends / Melee Doubles Begins
1:00 PM - Project: M Doubles
3:00 PM - Singles Registration Ends / Melee Singles Begins
4:00 PM - Project: M Singles

Fees
*********Venue: $10 ($5 w/ Setup)
$5 If only spectating/not entering any tournaments.

Singles: $10
Doubles: $5 per person
**If you cannot bring a TV, a Wii + BOTH GAMES will still count for the venue discount as long as we have an unused TV for it. Please keep that in mind!

Payouts
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%
$100 bonus pot to each game with >70 entrants (Singles only)
Pot Bonus will be split 60 - 30 - 10 instead of 100 to first place.

MELEE Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set OFF and NONE
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)
Counter Picks:
Pokemon Stadium (Singles Only)
Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles Only)

PROJECT: M Rules
4 stocks
8 minute time limit
Items set to OFF and NONE
Buffer OFF
Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)
Counter Picks:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Warioware
Greenhill Zone
Skyloft
Skyworld
Metal Cavern
Dracula's Castle
Rumble Falls
Distant Planet (Doubles Only)

Addendum for Doubles
Team Attack ON
Life stealing is allowed (note that lifestealing in Project: M is done by pressing A+B rather than Melee's Start)
In the event of a game going to time, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whichever team has more remaining stock.
b. If both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.

Character/Stage Selection Process
Blind Picks character selection.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. 1-2-1 (Melee) / 1-2-2-1 (Project: M)
The first match is played.
Winning player of the preceding match bans one stage (Melee) / three stages (Project: M)
The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
The winning player of preceding match picks character.
The losing player picks character.
The next match is played.
Repeat for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*Dave's Stupid Rule is in effect for the entirety of the set

Miscellaneous Rules
The TOs are the arbiters of all disputes.
BYOC: Players are expected to bring their own controllers.
DQ Rule: Arriving 5 MINUTES late will lose you ONE match. 10 MINUTES will lose you the SET.
In the event of a match going to time/sudden death, the winner will be determined by:
a. Whoever has more remaining stock left.
b. If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
c. If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
d. In the event of going to sudden death because of suicide kill move (such as Ganon's overB or Dedede's inhale), the player initiating the move will be declared the winner.
Sets will be best out of 3 games.
Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.
MikeHaze rule: No intentionally disrupting players, whether physically or vocally. This applies to EVERYONE.
Gentleman's Clause: Any rule change (besides 8 minute time limit) is permitted if agreed by both players.
Dave's Stupid Rule: Players cannot counterpick back to a stage they have already won on in the set.
Textures are Cool Clause: Nondisruptive textures and music are allowed. If there is a problem, contact the TOs and we will get it resolved ASAP.

The venue is open to ALL AGES despite having two bars. So if you wish to drink, bring an ID. Please drink responsibly!

Please post any menu suggestions, comments on the food, drinks (soft drinks & alcoholic), service, etc.
We will post what we will do better this tournament soon!

IMPORTANT: Special happy hour for the tournament will be $4 domestics and $5 crown&down. Saving up would be a good idea.

P.S. SETUPS SETUPS SETUPS. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
excitement. I will definitely be here. hows the internet at your venue? tourneylocator may be able to provide a stream.

Quot3

Melee'er
3DS FC
4253-4705-1339
Yay I'll be able to come now most likely since it's a Saturday tourney. PTJon will be comin too :)

D

Deleted member

This might just be the best 'day-after-my-birthday-bash' ever.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
like i said at the end of the last tourney, i'll just maybe this until, like, the week before. it'll depend on how much free time i have outside of school.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
HYPE! I have set ups for both games but only 1 CRT. Can anyone help me out on this? Also, I want a doubles partner for both games. Beware, however. The Roy complex in me is strong throughout both games. So I'd probably make a pretty unappetizing Melee partner! But I think I'd do well in P:M.

Also, I see that you have pho bo, do you have any pho dac biet by any chance? If not, I'll just grab some bun bo hue or something.

Is it ok if my dad and brother come in to get a bite as well? And my lil bro just wants to play some friendlies, that'll be 5 for him?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

HYPE! I have set ups for both games but only 1 CRT. Can anyone help me out on this? Also, I want a doubles partner for both games. Beware, however. The Roy complex in me is strong throughout both games. So I'd probably make a pretty unappetizing Melee partner! But I think I'd do well in P:M.
Teaming with a Roy sounds fun, maybe both in Melee and P:M. Let's be "Team Low Tiers". If you can't guess who I play in P:M by looking at my profile picture, I will feel sorry for you. I play somebody else in Melee though. I'm not sure I'll enter Melee singles this time, but I'll see.

I may want to team with WEB aka -=Untamed Beast=- in Melee though.

I'll probably bring a full Melee setup and a full P:M SetUp. Nus CRT + My other 20 inch CRT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Teaming with a Roy sounds fun, maybe both in Melee and P:M. Let's be "Team Low Tiers". If you can't guess who I play in P:M by looking at my profile picture, I will feel sorry for you. I play somebody else in Melee though. I'm not sure I'll enter Melee singles this time, but I'll see.

I may want to team with WEB aka -=Untamed Beast=- in Melee though.

I'll probably bring a full Melee setup and a full P:M SetUp. Nus CRT + My other 20 inch CRT.
Cool. I'd be up for teaming with you. I guess I'll keep looking for a Melee partner in case you want to team with Untamed.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
Alright, I'm down for another one.

Can I just say that charging a venue fee for spectating seems a bit...off? I don't wanna sound abrasive, but damn. What if someone important to me wanted to come with and support me? I'm not gonna make them pay $5 just so they can sit around and watch. I don't agree with this, even as a competitor. Especially as a competitor.

EDIT: Yo, @ -=Untamed-Beast=- -=Untamed-Beast=- , you wanna try this carpool thing again? We can actually do things like plan. It'll be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cool. I'd be up for teaming with you. I guess I'll keep looking for a Melee partner in case you want to team with Untamed.
WEB doesn't want to enter teams and Scotch does if he goes, so if Scotch doesn't make it I'll team with you. Sorry to be a little reluctant but I'm not the best at teams. I'm going to try harder this time though.

What if someone important to me wanted to come with and support me? I'm not gonna make them pay $5 just so they can sit around and watch.
My mother might be there and would really be turned off to have to pay $5 just to come in and watch. If you want people like her to stick around - and probably end up getting a larger amount of money from sales of drinks - I would advise you to drop the spectator fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
There are plenty events like this that have both entry fees and spectator fees. As stated, it's a way to help offset the costs of operation that is usually incurred from having working staff, maintainance costs etc. Even if a person decides to purchase outside food rather than venue's food, or even over time there may be wear and tear on equipment (if applicable). fashion/auto/comic/ shows/conventions or any sort of competion all normally have some sort of attendance fee in form spectator or entry fee. Drift grassroots events I used to go to have 10 dollar spectator fees and 20 dollar drifter fees to help keep the events going (granted there's usually no food or drink). Similarly, others pay to watch national level sports ie: basketball/baseball and spend hundreds of dollars just to WATCH and support their team, on top of the ridiculously expensive food costs. I don't know why 5 dollars is such a huge deal. It's not even enough to buy even a single meal for a given day.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
WEB doesn't want to enter teams and Scotch does if he goes, so if Scotch doesn't make it I'll team with you. Sorry to be a little reluctant but I'm not the best at teams. I'm going to try harder this time though.
Alright. I haven't even played teams in a tournament though lmao, but I'll try my best.

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'm down for another one.

Can I just say that charging a venue fee for spectating seems a bit...off? I don't wanna sound abrasive, but damn. What if someone important to me wanted to come with and support me? I'm not gonna make them pay $5 just so they can sit around and watch. I don't agree with this, even as a competitor. Especially as a competitor.
The spectator fee was $10 last tournament, but we managed to cut it in half for this one ($5). Believe us, we are trying just about everything we can.
However, I do want to say this:
This is a private event on a Saturday, which means two things: one, private = no regular customers. There just wouldn't be enough space if we had customers eating alongside running a tournament so it has to be a private event; and two, on Saturdays the restaurant is normally open from 10:30am to 2:00am. So essentially, we are turning away all potential profits from an entire day just to run a Smash tournament. As you can see, it's not the smartest (business) idea to host a Smash tournament, as we lose out on a lot of potential money for that day.

Drigonaut

Smash Apprentice
On that note, is this a test run on Saturday to see what future profits would be like on a Saturday vs a Sunday?

phởHouse

Smash Cadet
On that note, is this a test run on Saturday to see what future profits would be like on a Saturday vs a Sunday?
In a sense, yes. We might switch it up here and there regardless, as it all depends on what dates we have available. We know some people can only come on Sats and some only on Sundays, so we would like to give everyone a chance. After all, we are just here to play some Smash. Even the venue owner was beer matching some people last koth despite never playing the game before.

D

Deleted member

I'll possibly make an appearance to this.

@ GiftedRoboHobo GiftedRoboHobo , if you're going again, would you like to carpool again?

@ CORY CORY , I'll definitely team with you if I'm going to this man lol

cOoLi07

Smash Rookie
Im really hyped to go to this tourney being as if I go it will be my first one
I am confused though is it going on on Saturday or sunday or both?

Last edited:

pitz585

Smash Rookie
Damn! That's a great turn out. I will try to make it to this one, and serving alcohol even better!!! This will help me cope with my horrible game play. It helps kill the pain ;)

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Who exactly does that include? I wasn't aware of a significant college station scene
We're manly a PM scene. A few of us still play Melee as well. Some of our top players include me, Abstract Logic, and Blondie.

Edit: I plan on bringing over 10 reps to this as well.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I was unable to attend the last event, but this sounds extremely hype. I love Smash and I love Pho. It's a match made in heaven. <3 Also, I'm just excited to be at a 2-story venue. That sounds crazy.

Grime.

Smash Apprentice
If I decided to go, ill try to bring some of the Austin scene!

Last edited:

seaofdarkness

Smash Rookie
Blondie, if you read this, I want a Zelda ditto MM. It's been 8 months. I'm salty.

Also, to the TOs, my TV is old even as CRTs go, and whatever power electricity cool things happen inside the plug to make the TV work... it doesn't play nice with power strips. Would it be worth it to bring the TV considering?

Last edited:
Top Bottom