• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apples Or Oranges?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
You know... oncer you get the match-up down vs Snake, you realize that he is not that hard... unless your MK. Then it's down right frustrating.

araknophobik

Smash Master
i agree with peter as well.. banning is just creates another weak point in socals metagame.. what happens when you guys go out of state, and come across a cg'ing ic's from another state where it ISNT banned? john it up? or actually figure out what it takes to get around the grabs.. further the metagame and figure out new ways to up your game vs ic's. why give up at the first sight of a roadblock..
im pretty sure socal proved at ucla vi that we are ahead of norcal in brawls metagame. once you guys catch up you'll see why it should be banned ;)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
um, you're saying that you guys have better ways to fight against ic's, and yet you still want to ban it? that doesn't make any sense

poor ic's...

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
maybe its just me, but it feels a lot easier to avoid an ic grab in this game than it was in melee.

no more wavedash out of shield counter attacking or anything like that.

you pretty much see them running at you and thats the only way they are going to do it if you are playing to avoid it. and so if they run at you jump away or some ****. just because you guys dont have to l cancel anymore doesnt mean you can stop thinking lol.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Every argument that I've seen for banning this is a complete joke, except for Gimpy's, which is still subjective and arbitrary. Any TO that bans this at this point is an absolute scrub (although you still won't have matched Oregon's scrubbiness). If IC's with this technique unquestionably become the dominant character in the game, then fine, but clearly we've not reached that point.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
THIS IS FUNNY!

LOL maybe this fight will be bigger than the one i strted in the IC board.

For the record, Houston is the first and only city to ban the ICG.

∫unk

Smash Master
Ice Climbers are abusing this to hell and dominating tournies with it? Where?
Lmao at people thinking I quoted myself. I don't speak in 3rd person.

It's much harder for ICs to grab in brawl. Much much much harder. They no longer have a wavedash. They have a very very short grab range. You cannot powershield with ICs. They have no moves that combo into grab. They have a very slow running speed.

Almost every single character has a move longer then thier grab range. It's soooo easy to avoid being grabbed by ICs in brawl. You just have to space well. I recently played Melee1, who has been winning several tournaments with climbers. In all of our matches, I never let him grab me more then once. When he did manage to grab me, I lost my stock. I still won every match I played vs him.

At a 128 person tournament last weekend it was Melee1 vs Wobbles in the finals. Wobbles 3-0ed him, and I don't remember wobbles being grabbed once. Learn to adapt people. If you get grabbed by climbers then look at your game and figure out why they are getting grabs off on you, and not on other players. Ask the people who are beating the climbers what they are doing.

Improve yourself.

ICs are NOT dominating tournaments with just chaingrabs. Banning something that doesn't hinder the meta-game is not smart.
QFT 10chars

CAOS

Smash Journeyman
All I got to say is once it happens to you.
You'll understand.
Like all you guys been sayin is you havent seen that much IC.
I'm sending Amanita to all the tournies in Cali LOL
this guy does the chaingrab with ease.
everybody else is having diffuculty doing it, but amanita he's pro at it
He's proble the best IC then.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
LOL

Wobbles wasn't banned for Melee and the only ICs who had any chance of winning a major tournament were Wobbles and Chu (no offense to other IC players). Chu was good before he could wobble and he would do just as well without it and Wobbles... well, he lost to Ken's Luigi lol. It's hard to get a grab if your opponent isn't stupid and knows you're going for it.

If IC players start taking the top 5 spots in tournaments then yes, the alternating grabs would be broken, but until then stop whining about losing and learn to space.

This isn't aimed towards anybody in particular btw.

The GERM

Smash Ace
<-King

Glad to see you guys have taken care of this before I got in here. I was about to ****ing go off in this thread. Just a bunch of scrubs arguing for a tactic they can't get around, don't want to bother to take the time to alter their spacing game to develop counterstrategies for, and trying to get a tactic banned based on faceless and arbitrary opinions with no hard tournament data to back it up. Sorry, but you just saying "zomg I lost to this technique, I'm sure I would've beaten him if he couldn't use that" is just one bigass john saying you're garbage at this game.

I could spend all afternoon quoting just where your arguments fall short; to save time, anything that sounds like "there are no options in brawl", "there's no way to not get grabbed and infinited by IC's", "you can't gimp", "you can't punish/there's no risk-reward in brawl", etc, you can pretty much disregard as either popular opinion, or as something the poster hasn't built into their game yet.

Same old argument with Wobbling all over again. It's getting old. Always the same types of people that would rather ban tactics than find workarounds for them. Sorry to break it to you guys, but you STILL can't just approach IC, attack his shield, and land right ****ing next to them. And it's STILL better to try to take care of Nana before Popo if the avenue arises.

I can't believe you still hate this game because you can't get around Snake, Gimpy.

And TGM, I'm also pretty sure that it isn't Houston that's the first region to ban the IC Infinite. It's just you, who is the nation's only single person to ban it.

I'm so god**** tired of overtime at work.

Edit: ****it I went off on this thread anyways.

King Out

Binx

Smash Master
Man you are so right, those grabs are broken, I can't even count the number of times I just run at a person, grab them out of no where crazy easy cause ICs are so fast, and have such an amazing grab range and just let lose the **** chain grabs. Oh wait yes I can, its zero times, its really hard to grab a good player with Ice Climbers, its harder in brawl than in melee because there aren't any "technical moves" so when they auto cancel an aerial then I can't grab them because there is no L cancel for them to miss they just auto l cancel.

It doesn't need to be banned because ICs aren't winning any tournaments with them, none of this well it's gonna happen BS because it probably isn't.

Yoshi1999

Smash Apprentice
Fly Amanita sure got close by abusing the **** out of that chaingrab. I'm pretty sure if he didn't have the chaingrab and still use Ice Climbers, he'd get his *** *****!

Danny is too good for posting this thread. I agree with you all the way Danny!
lol

suck up

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lol

suck up
Connor = pimp

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalm down

Didn't Ken beat Wobbles on YS? I thought the point was to throw out an example of a situation favoring the ICs, not one where they're massive underdogs to win anyway, knawmsayin' (c) Sick

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Yeah it was yoshi's story but it doesn't really matter, the biggest point is that wobbles would rather go Sheik on FD against luigi than ICs because wobbling obviously doesn't give you as much of an advantage as some people in this thread are making it out to be.

EazyP

Smash Ace
My only problem with this is that it's too early to debate it right now. I personally believe that in the future IC chaingrabs will be ungodly but it's just not happening right now

Even then you can give IC's a good amount of trouble with even Olimar since his ground game is just better than IC's in power, range and knockback. The game is like Marvel light, there's a lot of stupid stuff that can be done but other stupid stuff cancels it out, so it's all good

sidefx

Smash Champion
fabian dont bring a norcal vs socal rivalry into this please.. that has absolutely no relevance to the discussion. dont be dumb.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
LoL @ Fabian. Completely uncalled for. You're like mike Haze now. No diplomacy.

Hey boback, Let me come over and watch the Norcal vs Socal crew battle that's still on your
desktop.:mad::)

EDIT: I haven't played any IC's yet, but I'm sure I would hate it once I do. I'm sure it's irritating and enraging, but it's no gayer than your Dtilt Infinites, Danimals.

LuCKy

Smash Master
<<< mango

I come from a game

A great game

where making a mistake was probably death

so i c no reason why it should be banned

i went mk on his ic and i didnt get grabed

and danimals u pick marth pretty sure

u could double fair and not get grabed

as for brawl in general

lol that game sucks

hay i like how brawls balanced

i mean i like when fighting games are not balanced

but brawls like omg

counters in brawl are ahhhhhhhh ****

-Prince Out

^_^

∫unk

Smash Master
i "hate" brawl because the general gameplay mechanics promote playstyles like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECew6wDH98
Wow.... One of the games goes to time? Awesome.

I was expecting to see some cool tech... and instead all I saw was... actually I couldn't tell you after 1 minute I couldn't bear it any longer.

In other news I've held 2 Brawl singles tournies and they are SUPER BORING. Teams are good though.. more enjoyable than Melee Teams.

I say... Melee singles, Brawl teams, and 64 crew battle LOL.

The GERM

Smash Ace
<-King

I can't watch that here at work, but when I get back home how about I supply a few youtube links with some really nasty camping and endless spacing matches for Melee as well. Melee could be campy as **** too, in case you've somehow forgotten that in the few months Brawl's been out. I recall matches nearing/hitting the 8:00 mark tons of times, with players spending entire matches running away, (insert projectile) camping, controlling under-platform space, and zoning with the same move over and over again (look up Chillin vs M2K fox ditto in a crew battle on green greens, i forget which one atm though). Many players play with that same style in brawl tournaments as they did in melee, it's nothing new.

I've also seen and played with people that actually know how to utilize their approach options, space control and hit properties. Matches can just as easily turn campy as they can turn into fast-paced, quick and intense matches. The player makes the game what it is, and this game doesn't "promote" anything; we have the tactics and techniques at our disposal, and use them as we bid.

You guys get so butthurt about all the new defensive options in this game, as if the only thing that matters is being the aggressor, and once you land that single hit, for some reason the opponent should never be able to escape until their stock is gone. Brawl opens up a lot of new avenues for escape, but that sure as hell doesn't mean you can't completely dominate an opponent's game, and combo the **** outta them...it just takes a couple seconds longer than it did in Melee.

I would've loved to have the people like you in this community rather be tied to SF2, and see your reactions to the 3rd strike parry system. The first couple years of it's life would have probably been filled with nothing but comments on how "all you need to do is just sit there and wait to parry, nobody can ever get hit, it promotes camping way too much."

Honestly, following all the opinion you've written about brawl since it's release (and E4All pre-release), it strikes me that you lost the love for this game right around the same time your opponents learned how to space.

King Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom