• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX GF's... QQ

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
@NAGACE: You don't call me an idiot, i don't take that kind of ****, understand? You can have a different opinion about the subject, but you will drop the insults. I don't really have much to add to what I said earlier, but I think you do underestimate the amount of players who enjoy more slowpaced gaming and competition as overall. I think if melee looked like brawl, more brawlers might very well be interested in it more, and that way there might be more melee players.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
@NAGACE: You don't call me an idiot, i don't take that kind of ****, understand? You can have a different opinion about the subject, but you will drop the insults. I don't really have much to add to what I said earlier, but I think you do underestimate the amount of players who enjoy more slowpaced gaming and competition as overall. I think if melee looked like brawl, more brawlers might very well be interested in it more, and that way there might be more melee players.
ok fine i will apologize for calling you an idiot b/c that was uncalled for, but your post was stupid (not saying u r stupid just sometimes people make dumb post). anyway brawl players who like a slow pace wont start playing melee b/c for 1 they already have brawl which by nature is already slower paced. and two b/c the games feel different and every brawl player i know tells how melee feels so weird b/c of lack of buffering. also on a whole people who play more competitive fighting games like faster paced games, so it makes no sense to think making melee slower paced which once again i will state how this will make most current players quit, will somehow grow the melee community. In fact the only way this would help grow melee is if every single person who plays brawl then also started playing melee and of course that would just be pointless.

Kal

Smash Champion
I like the way he asserts himself, like he will walk up to you and smack you across the head if you continue to call him names. Though N.A.G.A.C.E. could use a grammar lesson. This is an obvious troll post, by the way.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
grammar is not for the internet, i work under the idea if u understand the meaning its good enough for forum posts

also i find it funny u think someone willing to hit someone b/c they get called names is a good thing. i use to think it was a good thing as well, i believe i was 10 at that point in time :cool:

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
You disagree with my post, and don't find it realistic would be how to say it without insults >_>.Well, fair enough, I accept your apology. But I do disagree with you when it comes to that imaginary situation if melee would become much more campy/defence and whether more brawlers would try it then. I think it could make it easier for them to pick up then, when there's something familiar about it. And yeah I agree that brawlers say it feels different without buffering and stuff, but I have seen many brawl players that have also become melee players. Just because they have brawl, doesn't mean they could not play melee as well.

I feel like arguing more about this very unlikely imaginary situation is pretty pointless though, because I'm pretty sure melee will be fast paced in many match ups always. But some matchups getting more slowpaced and recognition, could possibly get more brawlers into it. We even saw enthusiastic brawler (zeibrik?) who went to coach Hbox in a campy GF, I guess those situations in the game felt natural and familiar to him.

Edit, @Kal: Just because I'm setting some limitations as how I can be treated doesn't mean I wan't to hit anyone or attack against anyone. I know they say don't feed trolling, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
Ya but that's like saying Melee players go to MvC 3 because buttons are pressed so fast. It just doesn't make sense.
Between Melee and Brawl, there are much more similarities than between MvC 3 and Melee. And I think big factor is, that many Melee and Brawl tourneys are held together combined. Brawl is, even different, sequel to melee. Many Brawl players already play melee, and vice versa. In that kind of situation, people talk and influence the other sides more than like between melee and MvC3.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Excuse me? I said in analogies or in simple terms that it doesn't make any freaking sense that the game is becoming more defensive. The only way this happens is if 2 defensive players fight each other then you'll see lots of camping.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me? I said in analogies or in simple terms that it doesn't make any freaking sense that the game is becoming more defensive. The only way this happens is if 2 defensive players fight each other then you'll see lots of camping.
That's the thing. Defensive play is far too rewarding not to do it. More and more defensive play is being seen in the meta.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I don't even play Melee competitively, and I know this OP is pretty ignorant.
Brawl is also not extremely campy.

Especially with Metaknight banned.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's the thing. Defensive play is far too rewarding not to do it. More and more defensive play is being seen in the meta.
More and more? Who?

I think you should say that the players are more proficient at using DI, SDI and CC to defend themselves.. but that doesn't mean there isn't a counter for any of these things. The players simply understand that there are more options to escape getting comboed or being in a ****ty position... that doesn't mean it's more defensive, it just means there are more options to account for... and you will need to understand how to counter it if you want to keep control of your opponent.

But that's no proof whatsoever that the players are more defensive, they are just smarter about it and again there's ways to beat these things.

Like seriously, would you rather have players simply getting owned out of one hit and make the game appear more offensive or what? I don't get it.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
It certainly isn't getting more aggressive.

The meta is going toward a more bait-and-punish style. That's a very defensive style of play.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
It certainly isn't getting more aggressive.

The meta is going toward a more bait-and-punish style. That's a very defensive style of play.
l0l at u

the only thing i hated is how many people were watching the stream for GF who haven't played melee. Most of them probably assumed all of smash is like that.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
Not really, that's a fighting fundamental.. Everyone uses that in their play always.
It is. I agree. But what I'm afraid of is the meta going to this method of getting hits exclusively. I guess I can see how someone wouldn't consider that defensive. The way I look at it, on the other hand, is that anything that's not approaching and pressuring is defensive. But the fact that space animals are still the best characters is somewhat reassuring. I don't much care for the fact that most of the higher tiered characters are very capable of a campy playstyle. That's ultimately what I'm getting at, I guess. Obviously there's a good chance it won't go toward that APEX GF style of play, but the off chance that it does is what concerns me.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Goodness. I don't know how you have the patience, Kage. I can barely keep sane as is.

Beat!

Smash Master
Look, for a lot of characters and matchups, it's simply not efficient to run away constantly and not maximize punishment. With characters like for example spacies, Marth and CF, maintaining pressure and getting the most out of a single hit is vital a lot of the time. Puff vs YL is only one matchup, and even if the metagame eventully became more defensive, your entertainment wouldn't suffer very much anyway. Fast movement and meaty combos will always be a part of the game competitively.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Goodness. I don't know how you have the patience, Kage. I can barely keep sane as is.
I'm a very patient man but there's also an off chance that I may go crazy. lol.

Anyways, melee itself slightly favors defensive rather than offensive gameplay but there's always something you can do. It doesn't freaking matter how the metagame shifts, you play how you want to play.. and even if you encounter a campy opponent, you can fight him in the way you think is right. Sometimes, OF COURSE, you are forced to stay patient but that's because it's the smart thing to do and why you would take a win rather than a loss. That is heavily dependent on the match-up you are playing and the player you are facing because you are fighting their views on the game. I, for one, definitely try to force my views upon my opponent and make him play my game which is why most of my matches do not last more 3 mins 90% of the time... because I always engage him at close range and challenge him to counter-attack me while I have my own plans to counter his counter.

You can play how you want and it's not what you see that will determine how the metagame is.. it's how you want to play. There seems to always be this trend that when 2 of the God-like players fight each other, that's when everybody or bad players draw conclusions as to how the game is, and that's absolute bull****. When Mango won a lot just before, I definitely saw people say the metagame is more aggressive now, it's hilarious. So ya, for the last time, everybody has different styles... more defensive or offensive, it depends who.. You have to look at it per individual. Javi is pretty aggressive, Mango is also, M2k is campy, Hbox too, Armada I'd say in the middle somewhere, PP maybe a bit more defensive. See? It depends..

MaxThunder

PM Support
the only way melee could turn into brawl is if... someone hacked it and removed cool movement options, increased hitlag and increased hitstun, let you airdodge out of hitstun and added lol moon physics...

people are over reacting...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Did anyone even watch Dieminion in SSFIVAE12?

Fighting games in general always have one or two really non-confrontational characters who have very protracted match-ups with several characters. You don't hear TFG players complaining about people using clock pressure. That's how the game is played.

Shoot, I'd argue for a shorter clock with the same amount of stocks, just so that clock pressure strategies are less time-consuming.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I think everyone is missing the point.

Foxy is wrong because rushdown will never truly die

Everyone calling foxy dumb is wrong because no1 gives a **** what u and ur friend do at ur house, when money is on the line people will start getting lame and campy/gay/defensive.

@zodiac hax gets top 10 at every national.

:phone:

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman

Everyone calling foxy dumb is wrong because no1 gives a **** what u and ur friend do at ur house, when money is on the line people will start getting lame and campy/gay/defensive.

Reneblade's a godsend. He actually understands what I'm trying to say. And makes it understandable for everyone else.

Divinokage

Smash Legend

There are exceptions anyways, you really think everyone plays lame when money in on the line? Screw that, styling is much cooler when it's intense, it means that much more. =P

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
There are exceptions anyways, you really think everyone plays lame when money in on the line? Screw that, styling is much cooler when it's intense, it means that much more. =P
^ This is something else I've been trying to say for the past 80 posts. No one likes watching campy *** matches. We'd all rather watch Mango get off with his spacies. Or watch a technical player go to work like Eggm or SilentWolf. It's just more hype and more entertaining overall.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
its become hipster mainstream cool guy ******ry to hate on mango.

know that none of u are cool or special because u dislike mango.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
its become hipster mainstream cool guy ******ry to hate on mango.

know that none of u are cool or special because u dislike mango.
I think it's been that way since he started winning. That's how it goes. Someone does well? ****-talk them.

As it stands, I have no problem with him at all. I love watching Mango. I just dislike the more ardent of his fanboys.

Varist

Smash Lord
smashboards: where respect for skill is degraded into descriptions of explicit acts of homosexuality

you are killing the community fuss

keep on keepin on.

Varist

Smash Lord
a homosexual show?

omg, no filter you debaser of good things. they don't all float on okay, be careful

OH DAMN 666 POST AND I'M A MOTHER ****ING JACK O LANTERN.

NO, THIS WARRANTS CENSOR DODGE.

THE MOTHER ****ING JACK O LANTERN WITH THE MOTHER ****ING 6 6 6

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's nothing new though, millions of people ****-talk or hype up their celebrities too. What can you do about it. If you really want to do something about it then you need to surpass Mango at the very least.

Top Bottom