• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Will Continue Despite Bad Weather

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

For those that do not know, there has been some very bad weather in New Jersey so much so the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning today that will last until tomorrow at 6pm EST. However this is not the only area being effected. The northeast in general has been bracing for a "potentially historic blizzard" as stated by the National Weather Service. Power is expected to be lost in many areas due to the strong winds, some even at hurricane force and heavy wet snow and many states have declared a state of emergency with some even enforcing a travel ban, related to this storm

The storm and travel bans have made many flights be canceled. At the time of writing this article, 3097 flights have been cancelled and and 4840 have been delayed according to FlightAware.com. Several top players have already announced on Twitter that their flights have been cancelled including Armada and Zero.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Those who have flights planned to go to Apex are highly encouraged to call their airlines to make sure flights are still scheduled. As Prog mentioned on Twitter "not all airlines will inform you if your flight is cancelled." According to Daniel Baker, CEO of FlightAware.com every airline is offering fee-free changes and in some cases cancellations and rescheduling opportunities so those that contact airline may be able to arrange for a possible change in travel.

Despite all of this and even the parking garage for the venue collapsing, Apex has announced on Twitter that the tournament will continue as planned and that they are creating plans for worse case scenarios. Hopefully Apex can continue as planned and anyone traveling to Apex or within the storm can remain safe until it subsides.

SmashCapps wonders if this is the Ice Climber's secret revenge for not being included in Smash 4. Follow him on Twitter to talk about the #blizzardof2015.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Jeez, this is like the worst string of events for Apex ever, and it all started with PM getting cancelled.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Apex needs to ban Custom weather since its not fair to the rest of the characters. All this snow is causing a slippery slope.

Last edited:

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
Apex can't catch a break this year lol
I'm sayin' lol. Geez.

If Apex goes on to be as incredible as advertised after all this (of course I'm hoping it will be!), the phrase "hats off to 'em" won't be nearly enough praise.

Beta_Smash

Banned via Warnings
Luna, Louisiana (15 min drive from West Monroe)
NNID
Se7enSB
It's unfair that the event will still continue. APEX will lose a large number of attendants, and everyone who wants to go is taking the risk of attending during a blizzard.

Hotels will have problems such as electricity and that only makes matters worse. What if the electricity gets cut off during APEX? What if flights won't send the attendants home? What if smashers can't communicate?

I think it would be smart to delay it until the blizzard passes. It's the APEX crew's choice but they will lose a large amount of attendants and put themselves at risk.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
.......well not like I was actually expecting any smart decisions from them after recent events.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Apex can't catch a break can't they?all the news that's been coming out and it's always something bad.

Blame Nintendo. :grrr:

In all seriousness... Wow... How many more hurdles does Apex have to get past this year? The amount of problems they've been having is crazy.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
It's unfair that the event will still continue. APEX will lose a large number of attendants, and everyone who wants to go is taking the risk of attending during a blizzard.

Hotels will have problems such as electricity and that only makes matters worse. What if the electricity gets cut off during APEX? What if flights won't send the attendants home? What if smashers can't communicate?

I think it would be smart to delay it until the blizzard passes. It's the APEX crew's choice but they will lose a large amount of attendants and put themselves at risk.
As much as I hope things turn out well, I agree with you, too. Postponing if possible would certainly be the safer avenue.

The problem there I imagine though, would be international travelers who've already paid. Refunds are probably a complete mess to get back, so they'd likely have to eat those costs and might not be able to reschedule. In that sense, they'll probably lose attendees either way.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Why the rush? It's not like rescheduling Apex for the next week will break what's left of it. Questionable decision to say the least.

I bet they'll never cut PM again. Karma is a *****.

Why the rush? It's not like rescheduling Apex for the next week will break what's left of it. Questionable decision to say the least.

I bet they'll never cut PM again. Karma is a *****.
It's kinda hard to reschedule an event that more than a thousand people will be attending just days before it happens.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
.......well not like I was actually expecting any smart decisions from them after recent events.
Rescheduling can be extremely difficult depending on the venue.

Edit: that is just one issue rescheduling can ruin it for players who could only go on this weekend.

If this were a smaller event, it would be easy.

But APEX is anything but small.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
They should take the worst possible scenario now and not take risks, with flights cancelled and harzardous weather; APEX will have low assisatnce and is better to wait until the bad weather passes.

I know that a lot peoeple already paid, traveled and arranged their schedules to go there, but safety is first, man even WWE cancelled/postponed events. (and those guys never cancel for bad weather, so the situation is serious)

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
I am telling you right now... this is the beginning of an epic tournament, blizzard outside, thunder, lightning and all that stuff while playing the most intense games... those who can't make it to the tourney are just too weak! This is your first test !!!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They should take the worst possible scenario now and not take risks, with flights cancelled and harzardous weather; APEX will have low assisatnce and is better to wait until the bad weather passes.

I know that a lot peoeple already paid, traveled and arranged their schedules to go there, but safety is first, man even WWE cancelled/postponed events. (and those guys never cancel for bad weather, so the situation is serious)
It's easy to get an event like that rescheduled when it's used just for that.

APEX's venue is used for more than just APEX and this doesn't go into other people who can only go on this weekend and then can't show after the weather passes.

Someone is going to lose out either way.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Even the roads are salty
Well, if the roads were salty then the ice would melt, because the roads had salt on them which melts ice therefore not having the problem in the first place.

:p

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Okay, why can't they just reschedule the event instead? Do they seriously still expect for everyone to make it through that blizzard there?

And what, in hell's name, does the Ice Climbers have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
It's easy to get an event like that rescheduled when it's used just for that.

APEX's venue is used for more than just APEX and this doesn't go into other people who can only go on this weekend and then can't show after the weather passes.

Someone is going to lose out either way.
Yes, I was thinking about that, and is hard to do something when the weather goes top tier; the best thing that can happen is that a random high pressure with winds appears to drive the bad weather away, because this is a lose/lose situation now.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yes, I was thinking about that, and is hard to do something when the weather goes top tier; the best thing that can happen is that a random high pressure with winds appears to drive the bad weather away, because this is a lose/lose situation now.
Pretty much.

The only hope is for the weather to clear up. Otherwise there is really no chance to fix this for everyone.

The Dark Knight1965

Smash Journeyman
Okay, why can't they just reschedule the event instead? Do they seriously still expect for everyone to make it through that blizzard there?

And what, in hell's name, does the Ice Climbers have to do with anything?
They made a theory that because Ice climbers were cut, they were so mad that the Ice Climbers used their final smash to summon a blizzard to make everyone never reach Apex

I feel ur anger guys, Hopefully next smash, But for now R.I.P Ice Climbers:popo::crying:

Last edited:

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHWLVxg8MxA

For those who say that Apex needs to be delayed, well, tell yourself no matter how you slice it, the decision is going to be ****. Reporting it would help the half people that can't make it, but that would become a ****ty reschedule for those who couldn't make it later. I support Apex's decision that the show goes on.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
It's good for me since I have no school because of the bad weather in New Jersey.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I am telling you right now... this is the beginning of an epic tournament, blizzard outside, thunder, lightning and all that stuff while playing the most intense games... those who can't make it to the tourney are just too weak! This is your first test !!!
Why am I getting a mewtwo strikes back vibe?

Jmcpappy

Smash Cadet

For those that do not know, there has been some very bad weather in New Jersey so much so the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning today that will last until tomorrow at 6pm EST. However this is not the only area being effected. The northeast in general has been bracing for a "potentially historic blizzard" as stated by the National Weather Service. Power is expected to be lost in many areas due to the strong winds, some even at hurricane force and heavy wet snow and many states have declared a state of emergency with some even enforcing a travel ban, related to this storm

The storm and travel bans have made many flights be canceled. At the time of writing this article, 3097 flights have been cancelled and and 4840 have been delayed according to FlightAware.com. Several top players have already announced on Twitter that their flights have been cancelled including Armada and Zero.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Those who have flights planned to go to Apex are highly encouraged to call their airlines to make sure flights are still scheduled. As Prog mentioned on Twitter "not all airlines will inform you if your flight is cancelled." According to Daniel Baker, CEO of FlightAware.com every airline is offering fee-free changes and in some cases cancellations and rescheduling opportunities so those that contact airline may be able to arrange for a possible change in travel.

Despite all of this and even the parking garage for the venue collapsing, Apex has announced on Twitter that the tournament will continue as planned and that they are creating plans for worse case scenarios. Hopefully Apex can continue as planned and anyone traveling to Apex or within the storm can remain safe until it subsides.

SmashCapps wonders if this is the Ice Climber's secret revenge for not being included in Smash 4. Follow him on Twitter to talk about the #blizzardof2015.
I live in NJ, and i gotta say, the whole storm has been pretty crayy. Thankfully, my powerline is on the same grid as a hospital, so even if my power does go down we're high priory and it'll be up ASAP XD

Either way, I'm really surprised about how much misfortune there has been for Apex this year. Alex strife, Clash Tournaments, horrible weather, flight cancellations, and even weather damage? wow.

Top Bottom