• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Ruleset is out! Survey inside!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I do support 2 stocks so I understand why Apex chose that ruleset, but I'm more used to 3 stocks as I've played several games with other players on 3 stocks rules. Plus, the stagelist IMO is disappointing. I was expecting more :/

On the plus side, playing defensive is limited in a sort of way.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I prefer 3 stocks but I'm ok with 2. Its super appealing for a large tournament to use 2 stocks if it can because it means (in theory) a shorter, easier to run event.

The head scratcher for me is only 3 neutrals. Should have Town and City and either Lylat or Duck hunt as the 4th/5th neutrals.
Duck Hunt shouldn't be used as a starter. It randomly blocks projectiles thanks to the ducks, the dog is super troll, and the tree on the left makes it difficult for characters like Mac.

Lylat Cruise is more understandable, but I'm still not fully convinced. It whimsically decides to screw over recovery options.

Since Lylat is hard to justify as being a starter, I can see why they wouldn't include T&C when it is clearly starter material, since they don't have an odd number to choose from.

Wuhu Island should be a counterpick, and there should be 3 stocks. Having 2 with Brawl at 3 makes absolutely no sense.

Also, even though I like the stage and 95% of it is fine, Halberd probably shouldn't be on there. The Claw is really hard to dodge in this game.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
If Brawl is at 3 stocks,

Duck Hunt shouldn't be used as a starter. It randomly blocks projectiles thanks to the ducks, the dog is super troll, and the tree on the left makes it difficult for characters like Mac.

Lylat Cruise is more understandable, but I'm still not fully convinced. It whimsically decides to screw over recovery options.

Since Lylat is hard to justify as being a starter, I can see why they wouldn't include T&C when it is clearly starter material, since they don't have an odd number to choose from.

Wuhu Island should be a counterpick, and there should be 3 stocks. Having 2 with Brawl at 3 makes absolutely no sense.

Also, even though I like the stage and 95% of it is fine, Halberd probably shouldn't be on there. The Claw is really hard to dodge in this game.
Lylat's tilting isn't random, it follows the same pattern every time for the current background. It's a complex pattern to be sure, but it's a consistent thing.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Could you go into more detail? The ducks are akin to Shy Guys or Balloons, I don't know what "super troll" means, and Mac can still reach the tree

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
hmm... I dunno about this. There could have been a few more stages added. That seems a little too safe. Only 3 neutral stages is odd, and I don't necessarily agree with 2 stocks (but I understand why).
Also, does that mean no custom moves? Super disappointing imo. I hope they aren't shoved out this early already.
EDIT: But we will have to see what happens. It could be very great for all we know.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Could you go into more detail? The ducks are akin to Shy Guys or Balloons, I don't know what "super troll" means, and Mac can still reach the tree
The ducks appear quite frequently throughout the stage and will intercept projectiles as they fly around. I am not sure if they have a predictable pattern or not, but they present an issue to characters that rely on projectiles. It's worse than Shy Guys. The dog also will (seemingly) randomly pop up in the middle of the stage which will cause characters below the spawn point to also move upward, which disturbs the match. I wouldn't say this is cause for banning the stage or anything, but it's not starter material in my view.

As for Mac, just because he can reach the platform (takes double jump and Up B to do so, even then he barely makes it) doesn't mean he's in a good position in doing so.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The ducks appear quite frequently throughout the stage and will intercept projectiles as they fly around. I am not sure if they have a predictable pattern or not, but they present an issue to characters that rely on projectiles. It's worse than Shy Guys. The dog also will (seemingly) randomly pop up in the middle of the stage which will cause characters below the spawn point to also move upward, which disturbs the match. I wouldn't say this is cause for banning the stage or anything, but it's not starter material in my view.

As for Mac, just because he can reach the platform (takes double jump and Up B to do so, even then he barely makes it) doesn't mean he's in a good position in doing so.
IDK about the ducks' flight patterns yet but the dog only pops up when a) all ducks are hit or b) any remaining ducks fly offscreen, which is signalled by the "Fly Away" text in the middle of the screen. His exact location I believe is random but it's easy to know when he's about to appear.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I believe if no ducks are hit he pops up in the center and if a duck is hit then the dog pops up on the side where the last duck fell. I could be wrong about that second part but it would make sense.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I believe if no ducks are hit he pops up in the center and if a duck is hit then the dog pops up on the side where the last duck fell. I could be wrong about that second part but it would make sense.
I'll keep this in mind when I cover Duck Hunt (it'll be soon, just don't know when) and see if I can verify.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Bowsercide doesn't even kill your opponent, so is that included in suicide moves? Hell, it literally is just SDing alone since many characters won't even die after you either.

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
I've updated the opening post so the ruleset is in it. You don't have to click the link if you're only interested in Sm4sh ruleset.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Let it be know the tilts are NOT raandom. They have set patterns based on the background of the stage. So it's not whimsical at all, if you areally have stage knowledge you can pop someone off the stage knowing right when the tilt will send them to their death.

From my personal study, this is correct. At a bare minimum I KNOW you can control where the dog will come by killing the final duck. Stage knowledge makes the dog not only irrelevant but also makes it so Little Mac and Ganon can kill a duck, use the dog popping up to get them hear the top tree, and still have 2 jumps and an up special to work with. So not perfect, but not impossible to approach like folks think.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Just an FYI guys, me and a few others talked to the APEX TO's and the Mii Fighter rule has been changed. They can now use either 1111, 2222, or 3333. It just hasn't been updated in the rules yet.

2222 Brawler and 3333 Gunner are viable characters.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
For anyone actually curious as to why they've made this change is because Mii Fighter's customs are available from the start and are on anyone's Wii U. By locking them into using either 1111, 2222, or 3333, they've effectively split 1 character into 3. Mixing and matching are not allowed so there cannot be any cherry picking for the best bits.

We're currently in process of getting the same done for Palutena, the only hard thing about that is that she has to have customization turned ON for hers to work. So we're trying to settle things out with that. As for Mii Fighters, we now have

Brawler A
Brawler B
Brawler C
Sword A
Sword B
Sword C
Gunner A
Gunner B
Gunner C

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Dislike that a lot. Apex rules made me disinterested in Brawl, probably just going to ignore it as it's continually getting worse and worse.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
That's a pretty terrible compromise, but at least it's something? I dunno. Feel like it should be all or nothing.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So, where do we go to complain at them until they smarten up?

Seriously, so many aspects are just... dumb. Unbelievably dumb and lacking thought.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Might as well post something instead of just complaining.

For anyone actually curious as to why they've made this change is because Mii Fighter's customs are available from the start and are on anyone's Wii U. By locking them into using either 1111, 2222, or 3333, they've effectively split 1 character into 3. Mixing and matching are not allowed so there cannot be any cherry picking for the best bits.

We're currently in process of getting the same done for Palutena, the only hard thing about that is that she has to have customization turned ON for hers to work. So we're trying to settle things out with that. As for Mii Fighters, we now have

Brawler A
Brawler B
Brawler C
Sword A
Sword B
Sword C
Gunner A
Gunner B
Gunner C
If they're going to go through the trouble to make a bunch of sets that everyone will hate, why not just create 2-3 sets from the Standard Custom Moveset Project?

Even still, the best option is to just not go through the trouble of making sets and make the 5 Mii players use guest Miis if the Mii Maker isn't easily accessible or transfer their own.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Might as well post something instead of just complaining.

If they're going to go through the trouble to make a bunch of sets that everyone will hate, why not just create 2-3 sets from the Standard Custom Moveset Project?

Even still, the best option is to just not go through the trouble of making sets and make the 5 Mii players use guest Miis if the Mii Maker isn't easily accessible or transfer their own.
They're not, it only takes 30 seconds to make a mii fighter and players will just make them on the spot when they are needed. I'm sure that all 12 of the possible movesets amongst the 3 mii fighters won't all be made. So just make them if they're needed and they're already not there. As for the rest of the customs, that still requires the use of the 3DS, requiring the TO's to take the time to put them on every single wii u and to have a 3ds with all customs unlocked. I honestly think thats something we should push for next year, but at the very least letting the characters that have their moves already unlocked choose from 3 different loadouts is good enough. Honestly, as long as every one of their customs just gets to see the light of day in some form or another, its good. I think its an acceptable agreement for now.

Again let me restate why this was accepted, instead of it being viewed as only mii fighters getting custom moves, its actually just increasing the roster size from 51 to 60. Start mixing and matching and it becomes too complicated, at least for right now.

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
They're not, it only takes 30 seconds to make a mii fighter and players will just make them on the spot when they are needed. I'm sure that all 12 of the possible movesets amongst the 3 mii fighters won't all be made. So just make them if they're needed and they're already not there. As for the rest of the customs, that still requires the use of the 3DS, requiring the TO's to take the time to put them on every single wii u and to have a 3ds with all customs unlocked. I honestly think thats something we should push for next year, but at the very least letting the characters that have their moves already unlocked choose from 3 different loadouts is good enough. Honestly, as long as every one of their customs just gets to see the light of day in some form or another, its good. I think its an acceptable agreement for now.

Again let me restate why this was accepted, instead of it being viewed as only mii fighters getting custom moves, its actually just increasing the roster size from 51 to 60. Start mixing and matching and it becomes too complicated, at least for right now.
Whoops, if I wasn't clear, I meant for Miis only as a replacement to 1111 2222 etc from the standard moveset thread. That's still extra work but if they were willing anyways..

I think it's more complicated that I have to switch my upB, neutralB, and sideB just so I can use a reflector in a matchup. 1 change to my character now becomes 4 every single time.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Whoops, if I wasn't clear, I meant for Miis only as a replacement to 1111 2222 etc from the standard moveset thread. That's still extra work but if they were willing anyways..

I think it's more complicated that I have to switch my upB, neutralB, and sideB just so I can use a reflector in a matchup. 1 change to my character now becomes 4 every single time.
Ah I see. Well again the thing is, if we start choosing the optimal loadouts, we are cherry picking the best parts. Tbh if I was in charge I would let them use any loadout they wanted, but this was the first time they were willing to listen. They understood that each move should have fair representation and that if they're going to allow 1111, they should allow 2222, and 3333 as well. And they become packaged and labeled as their own characters. It would be also pretty time consuming if we kept making new movesets for every single counterpick, making our characters incredibly diverse. Besides, Brawler 2222 and Gunner 3333 are close enough to their prime loadouts imo, its definitely workable.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If they're using that logic... why not have 2222 and 3333 available for all characters? Custom Moveset Project makes that super easy to set up, and instead of 60 characters you'd have what, 170 roughly give or take a few? Its not perfect, but at least custom moves have a chance to shine and actually be accepted.

And then we have to completely overhaul the stage list afterwards, but one step at a time.

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Just an FYI guys, me and a few others talked to the APEX TO's and the Mii Fighter rule has been changed. They can now use either 1111, 2222, or 3333. It just hasn't been updated in the rules yet.

pufff.. You really want to use the one inch punch don't you? it's the only reason you are so vocal about this. The same goes for the other mii competitive principle topic creator. You people don't care about the mii as a character, you only want to use that single exploit an abuse it over and over again. I hope that thing gets patched in the next update to see who are the real mii players. I bet everyone will go with brawler+small+piston punch moveset at apex. So pathethic...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
pufff.. You really want to use the one inch punch don't you? it's the only reason you are so vocal about this. The same goes for the other mii competitive principle topic creator. You people don't care about the mii as a character, you only want to use that single exploit an abuse it over and over again. I hope that thing gets patched in the next update to see who are the real mii players. I bet everyone will go with brawler+small+piston punch moveset at apex. So pathethic...
Shows how much you know about me. I don't even use Piston Punch loadout anymore. That's part of his 3333 loadout. I use 2222.

Ultimate Uppercut
Burning Side Kick
Helicopter Kick
Feint Jump

Infact, Piston Punch isn't even that good LOL. It hardly works on any of the cast and if the opponent has a brain they wont approach him on a platform. Helicopter Kick is leagues better. I mean, if you want to choose ****ty piston punch with no recovery be my guest. I'll happily beat any PP users with my 2222 loadout.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Nobody goes for it because its A) easy to see a mile away because you have to stand there fishing for a grab B) only has set ups on a VERY small cast of characters C) still has to be on a raised platform from what I remember D) One of the other Up Bs is a stronger, more reliable kill move.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
2 stocks is manageable & fun. It surely makes little sense that Brawl is still 3 stocks 8 minutes while SSB4 is 2 stocks 6 minutes, but it's the early stages of the game so I'm content with it.

The big thing that disappoints me is the stage list, especially the Omegas being considered as Final Destination during ban phase. . .not every Omega stage is exactly like Final Destination. Some Omegas have larger wall surfaces than the flat stages that don't even have lips, & walls / lips are a great thing to have for a stage if your character is capable of Wall Clinging or Wall Jumping, but because every Omega stage is FD, no big deal right?

On a smaller & less meaningful scale, the Red & Blue teams being the only team colors to choose from is bland yet simple.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Disappointed that it's only 2 stock, I was hoping for 3 stock. 2 stock can make the match feverish and doesn't really give opportunity to learn the opponent or make a great comeback. And even though "it is good to make the matches quicker," I honestly don't prefer a fast 2 stock match.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Nobody goes for it because its A) easy to see a mile away because you have to stand there fishing for a grab B) only has set ups on a VERY small cast of characters C) still has to be on a raised platform from what I remember D) One of the other Up Bs is a stronger, more reliable kill move.
E) Is still a lot less imbalanced than Ice Climbers grab in brawl (and a bunch of other stuff that's been allowed throughout smash's history) which people had no qualms about.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It only works on Jigglypuff on FD, as for other characters you need to do it on platforms, usually the highest one. Won't even work on middle weight and heavier characters. As if it wasn't bad enough, Piston Punch is now paired with Headache Macher, Foot Flurry, and the Falcon Punch. Arguably his worst specials. Without Feint Jump and PP being a vertical only recovery, Mii Brawler's recovery becomes almost no better than Little Mac's.

Last edited:

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
I'm overall "okay" with most of the stuff here but i frankly disagree with a lot of it, it feels far too safe and thus restrictive. so i may as well go over my gripes

(2stock) while i'm not against a 2 stock format at the moment i still feel like offensive playstyles can and are being rewarded, and 3 stocks to me just creates a better fight. sometimes it can last long but 3 stock 8 minutes to me should be the norm. (i mean for heaven's sake brawl is 3 stocks and god knows that can be a snore fest)

(stagelist) okay 3 starters is stupid. town and city and Lylat should at least be starters imo. Delfino over skyloft i disagree with but i completely agree with delfino over wuhu. all omega's existing i don't completely agree with, some omegas are more beneficial than others for some characters due to things like walls. while i like there being more theoretical stages to choose from, i think there should be a list of allowed omegas.(sounds silly i know) Also **** haliberd.

(mii fighters/Customs) Happy for mii fighter inclusion what with it being set as to "default a" and not the variable of the actual random mii weight along with him having 1111 2222 and 3333 to choose from, but overall the lack of custom characters seems...disappointing. maybe further along we can have that standard for everyone to have at a tournament to choose from, but i can live without customs for now.

(No Stalling) THANK YA GEEZUS

(suicide rule) while i completely understand that this has been a standard, i still think its bull****. what the results screen says is who wins that's how it should be. especially since things like bowsercide kills bowser before the opponent now. If its a sudden death the initiator can get it but if the results screen says someone one, that person one.
And that's how i feel about the rule set

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629

If the same isn't for Palutena, then this is probably one of the worst tournament rulesets I've ever seen.

There is literally no reason that Mii Fighters should have access to 2222 and 3333 and Palutena shouldn't.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I definitely don't like the way that suicide moves are handled; I definitely think they should go with the results screen instead of giving every suicide KO to the initiator.
  • This doesn't really affect Ganondorf's suicide move, but I'm alright with him winning on his suicide move because it's very risky and puts him in special fall if he misses, almost always resulting in his death.
  • However, I don't agree that Bowser's suicide move should let him win. Going off-stage to use his side-special is very safe and does not send him into special fall, and I definitely do not like the idea of Smash 4 Bowser players constantly trying to suicide their opponent after they take a stock off (since it's only 2 stock, after all). What a lame way to end a match, just go off the stage and spam side-b.
I just think that the suicide moves should be handled differently instead of lumping them into the same rule, because each one has differing properties, and definitely have differing degrees of safeness.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If the same isn't for Palutena, then this is probably one of the worst tournament rulesets I've ever seen.

There is literally no reason that Mii Fighters should have access to 2222 and 3333 and Palutena shouldn't.
I'm not 100% sure on Palutena yet, she does have the same criteria as the Mii Fighters as they're unlocked from the start and they're completely different, but they seem to be a bit wary of hers due to the fact that you have to turn customization ON for hers to work. If it were me I'd allow them to use her 1111, 2222, and 3333. But for right now I'm not sure, we'll have to see when the refined rules come up. If for some reason she isn't allowed, we'll have to talk to them again, because I don't believe that is right either.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm not 100% sure on Palutena yet, she does have the same criteria as the Mii Fighters as they're unlocked from the start and they're completely different, but they seem to be a bit wary of hers due to the fact that you have to turn customization ON for hers to work. If it were me I'd allow them to use her 1111, 2222, and 3333. But for right now I'm not sure, we'll have to see when the refined rules come up. If for some reason she isn't allowed, we'll have to talk to them again, because I don't believe that is right either.
To be honest, it shouldn't be /too/ hard to keep track of when customs are turned on at the character select screen, right? Just have Smash Wii U data that only has the necessary custom setups, and make sure players don't select random or somehow choose one they're not supposed to in the chance that it had an extra custom set. I mean, it would make more effort to make sure that people actually honored that, but it'd be better than restricting Palutena to her default.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the general rule is "Customizations: off"
Palutena cannot use any custom specials with Customs off.
Mii have their full moveset available.
You cannot compare Palutena to Mii Fighter in this scenario.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
the general rule is "Customizations: off"
Palutena cannot use any specials with Customs off.
Mii have their full moveset available.
You cannot compare Palutena to Mii Fighter in this scenario.
The reason we're discussing Palutena as equals in the Mii scenario is that she does in fact start with all her custom specials unlocked just like the Mii Fighters do, and all of hers are unique just like the Mii Fighters.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Turn customization on then...?

Palutena can be compared to Mii Fighters 100% in this scenario because both of them are the exact same in the sense that they were made with customs in mind, yet only one of them having that option while the other doesn't? That's horrid. Just because the TO's think that turning customization off somehow fixes this scenario (hint: it doesn't) doesn't mean that it's not a ****ty rule that needs to stop being a thing altogether.

Palutena not having access to 2222 or 3333 while Mii Fighters do is nothing but crappy TO'ing.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
All this anger at the Apex TOs, when in reality it's Nintendo's fault for coming up with a cool idea and then implementing it in such a mindblowingly atrocious way.

Top Bottom