• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Results

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
64 was supposed to be on the main stream, for both part of pools as well as top 8. It was changed due to the 2 day schedule and most of the matches that were supposed to be streamde were instead done on an alt stream. Blame the fact that they decided to do all of the winners top 48 as well as Teams for smash 4/64.

Brawl top 16 was supposed to have been done but honestly, the smaller events get the shaft, and that is acceptable.
I believe brawl was the main event at Apex for multiple years, it deserved some stream time, at least top 3.

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
What' wrong with cheering for ZeRo, or did you mean they did something negative instead?
Because when I think of cheering I think of stuff like Mango's USA crowd chant.
What I think he was saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that that crowd was cheering for ZeRo because if he won 3-0, Melee would get on faster. After he won (pretty decisively, I might add. Good stuff to him), they almost immediately started yelling for Melee. In short, what was probably an incredible moment for ZeRo was stolen from him because most (MOST, not all) of the crowd was cheering not for him, but for Melee.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I believe brawl was the main event at Apex for multiple years, it deserved some stream time, at least top 3.
I think the top 4 or top 8 should have been streamed, I mean is doubles honestly worth it and then entirety of melee top 48 if you won't stream two other major games on the main stream? Probably not. Do all the dubz on the secondary stream, and if doubles ends completely, use it for matches that are needed to make sure that top 8/16 can be done on the main stream.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
i am not sure about you guys.

But i was feeling P:M's absence. and it felt bad.
That. Truth spoken.

Let's be honest here, what did Nintendo do? Advertising. Nothing else.
I might be wrong, but I stayed on Twitch Chat all day during the Venue Crisis Day and was seeking information everywhere.
(Smashcapps was the MVP of the day. Dude put in so much work.)

You know what Nintendo did at the darkest hour? Nothing. Not a d*** thing. At least someone would have spoken if it did.

You know what Apex lost for that sponsorship? PM. I don't think that I have to say that PM is better to look at than old ads.

I just hope things go smoother next year, because I don't think that I want to wait until midnight to see Melee's Top 8. I got shafted by the time zones and had to seek the matches on spoilertube. (It was around 3am when the top 8 started here)

Also, please, never run Bo5 games in Top 8 for any smash ever. Also, Smash 4 players, please use Diddy more, at least he ain't campy. Offense is good.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
where can I see the sets? (SM4SH) because I missed the streams... :(
You can watch the stream VODs on teams00ky's twitch channel.

Here's the link for "Day 3". It has both some singles and the doubles grand finals with Smash 64 Finals, I think. http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/619065259

You can probably navigate to the earlier videos from there, also twitch VODs don't work on mobile, so you'll just have to wait until YouTube uploads if you don't have a device with flash player.

Last edited:

SupaKMW

Smash Cadet
K, I'm just getting back to Canada by bus from this.

Just gonna say a couple things: Apex itself was a ton of fun, this was the first time I ever made it out of pools round 1, and the venue (the 2nd one at least) was awesome. Played a lot of friendlies, and met many amazing people, got to talk to Mew2King breifly, NAKAT hanging out with Canada, and got some drinks with Toronto and Montreal. Shoutouts to KirbyKaze for repping Canada in Melee, Ally for winning Brawl and playing some drunk Mario Party with us on Friday, and TO Joe for winning the award. I should've left with you for Toronto when you did, but well, I wanted to see top 8. Oh, and of course, SuperBoomFan from Alberta for winning N64 (if that's where you are and haven't moved again!)

With that said, the tournament was far, far from smooth. This trip has been absolute hell for the Canadians and the other international players. Also, this is not the venue nor Apex staffs fault, but the horrible attitude displayed by some of the crowd during Smash4 was disgusting beyond belief.

To the Melee elitists in the crowd: shame on all of you. Booing Smash4, cheering for Zero, then yelling to get offstage for Melee... Apex isn't about just you. Stop being so ****ing greedy and childish. I'm a Melee competitor too, but I ain't about that. You make me ashamed to say I like Melee. You know who you are. Fun fact: Melee took the same amount of time as Smash4 finals. How would you feel if Melee ran first and the Smash4 crowd yelled you off?
We were all in a tight schedule. For crying out loud, we lost an entire DAY due to relocation of the venue, it's not SmashWiiUs fault the tourney ran late. It's just plain rude and absolutely shameful to boo others and take their moment away. We were all tired, the tourney was reduced to 2 days, this was not another game's fault, and the Smash4 players do not deserve that.
I'm not responding to any replies justifying this behavior: I was there in the crowd and I know what it was like. Sad to say but the crowd last night made me ashamed of being a Melee player, now that this will reflect on the Melee fanbase. I do not want others thinking that about a game I love.

To Apex staff: the last minute venue change, unlocking setups for 64 and Smash4 the night before, and everything that followed was unexpected. I get that. Still, it was rough on us international players and volunteers. Please, please make sure the venue is good for next year. This was very, very stressful on all of us.
About the Clarion hotel: this was a mediocre place to have the tourney. The building was worn down, sketchy manager who apparently got fined for negligence then later arrested for having no permits, and the hotel attendants and staff were plain rude at many times. There were only 2 elevators with 25 ppl max for +1000 entrants to use. The WiiU and 64 setups having to be unlocked the night before was bad, but when I was helping unlock them, me and other volunteers saw the roof leaking in the ballroom. Geez.
The worst part was relocation the next day: please avoid this at all costs next year, because it costed me, Meekspeedy, KirbyKaze, Ally, TO Joe, and the other Canadian and International players - including the Japanese who played with us Friday night, whose tags other than Choco I forget atm - an eye and an arm to relocate and take cabs. Some of us like Meek were lucky to have connections, but others paid out of thier pocket. Remember we do not have the benefits of data plans or calling plans, this isn't easy for us.
I'm not saying I didn't have fun: the tournament was amazing, the best matches I've ever seen unfolded right in front of me. I played friendlies with people from all over the world, I talked to Blue and other players after playing with them, and the best part was the sheer amount of people creating an intense atmosphere. I could just walk up to anyone and talk about the thing I love the most: Smash. But, it was at a cost that maxed out my cards and put us in tough schedules going back. Alex Strife isn't here any more to direct the tourney (I'm sure he had something to do with choosing that awful hotel as former director, I'm speculating here tho), so no johns next year to choose an appropriate place next time. I look forward to next year myself: I expect amazing things after seeing this years amazing matches and the incredible venue Twitch so graciously gave us.

See you all next year, hopefully the crap attitude from Melee elitists isn't a problem next year, and I hope to see an even bigger Apex next year!
Definitely sounded like a challenging time to transition from that mess on day one to competition the next day, but yall pulled it out and that was inspirational. But I agree 100 with what you said. We should all love the games we love man, but all this hate is uncalled for. The twich chat was blowing up with hate it ruined the experience a lil. This was the first time I watched a tournament live, let alone Apex and that was ugh....should not have been paying attention that hard to the chat lol. Anywho for a 3 day event to get condensed into 2 days the staff, sponsors, and you volunteers did one hell of a job to let the show go on.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
No random buttons in Smash 64.
There isn't a random button but if you toggle through your port status (1p, computer, off) you can actually get a random character because the computer's character is selected at random. So you just choose whatever character that pops up. :3

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I JUST GOTTA SAY IT SINCE I'M GETTING BANNED AND NOBODY ELSE WILL SAY IT

Apex your tournament series is garbage in the way that its set up as an event. Yes its got hype moments thats not what i'm dissing. its how you plan and organize and run these events. It would be one thing if you have 1 off year where people gave negative feedback and you figured out ways around those issues to give us a really good tournament next year

BUT YOU DON"T DO THAT LMAO LMAO LMAO

You get feedback YEAR AFTER YEAR about people having problems with how you run your tournaments and year after year you give us the same problems.

With that kind of consistency to always deliver failure we should always expect that you organizers will always give us a poorly run apex every single time

Smash community needs to step forward and ***** about what the problem with apex is in general and you people in charge need to figure out how you're going to deal with that and deliver us from those problems in your next Apex

So people list your reasons as to why apex 2015 was a horribly run tournament and why apex is a horribly run tournament series in general so the people in charge can stop giving us a poorly run tournament year after year and deliver a good tournament for once

And if you guys don't give us a good apex after this nobody should show up to your **** at all

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
yeah still too early of a metagame and too little amount of characters being explored it will be a while before the metagame changes when everyone gets used to the characters and start using the advanced movement options we already know of and people are finally finding ways around diddy though that monkey still needs a slight nerf that up air kills too early
And no one complains that Ganondorf's dirty hit D-Spec can kill at MUCH earlier percents? Or that Charizard's U-Air can actually kill at a lower percent than Diddy's U-Air?

No, I'm serious, the former definitely kills at around 70% from where as high as Diddy can jump. Ganondorf would send Diddy to the ultimate meaning of irony and hate with D-Spec's non-meteor hitbox. U-Air may be powerful, but at higher percents around 70-80 percent, if Diddy Kong tries using it with Double Jump against Ganondorf, Diddy can kiss a stock goodbye.

RWB

Smash Ace
I dabble with pacman too and the dude refused to grab. Had pac got some grabs in that fight may have played out differently. I believe abadmodo. ... (I know I butchered his name) panicked when his strategy wasn't working and wasn't adapting quick enough.
Trying to grab with Pacman is NOT a good option, especially against Rosa with Luma. Pac's grab is shorter than it should be and slow, and a miss vs Rosaluma can mean 20+, or at higher %, a stock. Honestly, going Up B vs shield is a much stronger option.

RWB

Smash Ace
That point when Dabuz was down 2-0 with M2K and then switched to Olimar to come back with 3 wins and take the whole set was such a highlight to me! Roslaina + Olimar tag team!!!

After watching all those matches and seeing other Diddy's I don't feel like Diddy is that OP but rather ZeRo is INSANE!!! OMFG, like he could have been winning with anyone if he put that much effort into them.

I had lots of fun watching all the different Smash games I think they're all pretty interesting and about equally diverse... well, kind of missed out on seeing any Brawl but I would have liked to...
Honestly, ZeRo seriously pressured M2K's Diddy with his Falcon. That's the second best Diddy in the world, vs ZeRo's for fun choice. If he dedicated himself to any character that isn't outright bad, he'd still likely win. He's just way too good at this point.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Honestly, ZeRo seriously pressured M2K's Diddy with his Falcon. That's the second best Diddy in the world, vs ZeRo's for fun choice. If he dedicated himself to any character that isn't outright bad, he'd still likely win. He's just way too good at this point.
It honestly reminds me of the first few years of brawl where everyone knew that MK was broken but everyone was so unsafe/d-smash heavy/tornado happy. Or in 64 where a whole lot of online people use Kirby and can't win with them even though they spam up tilt and stuff.

People who put in the effort and fully exploit their character get the work done. respect to Zero

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
The Smash 4 top 8, completely killed me. I was praying for it to end.
After all the decent matches I saw for Smash 4, I was so sad to see top 8 turn into a long bore camp game

I fell asleep, and missed Melee. Damn it , Smash 4.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
From what I saw in-person, the tourney had a ton of issues, sure. But I feel that the complaints being brought up are literally not even in the top ten things that went wrong this past weekend. It's as if everyone already forgot about the #1 issue. If you don't know what that is, you're part of the problem here.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
From what I saw in-person, the tourney had a ton of issues, sure. But I feel that the complaints being brought up are literally not even in the top ten things that went wrong this past weekend. It's as if everyone already forgot about the #1 issue. If you don't know what that is, you're part of the problem here.
The number one issue is that Mango didn't win

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What' wrong with cheering for ZeRo, or did you mean they did something negative instead?
Because when I think of cheering I think of stuff like Mango's USA crowd chabynt.
The comma I used was ambiguous; I meant "cheering for Zero and then telling him to get offstage" to see Melee.

There's nothing wrong cheering for him, but there is something wrong cheering just so you can yell for them to get offstage. I don't doubt there were people legitimately cheering for him, but when I looked around, I saw some of those same people chanting Melee and booing the awards ceremony. Not cool

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
What would the top ten things be if not one of them be the venue choice from the start? I brought this up already in my post: would choosing a hotel of inadequate accommodations for 1000+ ppl not qualify as a top 10 problem?

I'm legitimately curious here, because I honestly can't think of a worse issue than a hotel with 2 elevators for 1000+ entrants to use, inadequate ballroom size, poor architecture, and the missing permits

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
What would the top ten things be if not one of them be the venue choice from the start? I brought this up already in my post: would choosing a hotel of inadequate accommodations for 1000+ ppl not qualify as a top 10 problem?

I'm legitimately curious here, because I honestly can't think of a worse issue than a hotel with 2 elevators for 1000+ entrants to use, inadequate ballroom size, poor architecture, and the missing permits
Of course that's the big issue here. You're on the right track.

And here I am reading complaints about sponsorships, crowd chants, etc. or people talking about Apex 2016. Seriously?

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman

And here I am reading complaints about sponsorships, crowd chants, etc. or people talking about Apex 2016. Seriously?
Well, considering that one of the biggest names organizing Apex went down right before Apex 2015, I'm kinda optimistic about the Apex future.

That terrible hotel is now a bad memory, the new venue looked fantastic and probably everyone who attended (Unlike me) can confirm this.

Everything is pointing for an even better and not disrupted by Fire Marshalls Apex next year, and if we're lucky, we may even have an PM side event streamed and a Melee HD announcement.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668

It's smashboards monsters, what do you expect? The tournament itself, given the circumstances was run amazingly well. (Shoutouts to this guy as well as Nintendude/other apex staff/others who helped)

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
sm4sh ruined the stream. Bo5 was idiotic and dabuz is so annoying. stop taking every set to time and game 5. the game isnt competitive, hype, or fun to watch.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
sm4sh ruined the stream. Bo5 was idiotic and dabuz is so annoying. stop taking every set to time and game 5. the game isnt competitive, hype, or fun to watch.
Melee elitist fanboy confirmed. You don't think the loss of a day ruined the stream? To blame a ruined stream on one game is the idiotic part about this.
Apex did a great job considering the adversity they faced to manage to get it all happening with out cancelling anything.
If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it.
I loved the time frame Apex stream was held, i live in Australia and it was great to watch the stream from around 10am - 7pmish. Perfect timing.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Melee elitist fanboy confirmed. You don't think the loss of a day ruined the stream? To blame a ruined stream on one game is the idiotic part about this.
Apex did a great job considering the adversity they faced to manage to get it all happening with out cancelling anything.
If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it.
I loved the time frame Apex stream was held, i live in Australia and it was great to watch the stream from around 10am - 7pmish. Perfect timing.
yeah, you live in ****ing australia. top level players having to play grand finals at 2 am is whack. that'd be much easier for sm4sh players who dont have to be nearly as precise.

honestly calling someone a melee elitist isnt even an insult at this point, its just confirming they have good taste.

BurstPanther

Smash Apprentice
yeah, you live in ****ing australia. top level players having to play grand finals at 2 am is whack. that'd be much easier for sm4sh players who dont have to be nearly as precise.

honestly calling someone a melee elitist isnt even an insult at this point, its just confirming they have good taste.
Well that was cringe worthy,

You epitomize everything wrong with the smash community in one post, well done.

You don't even deserve a proper reply.

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@ Utena Utena The edge. So sharp.

While you are right that Bo5 and dabuz's play was honestly displeasing, it still wasn't because of the game itself. If it was set to the same FG set in Bo3, it could have gone smoother and with a lot less hassle.

All smash players wouldn't like to have finals so late at night either. Pinning smash 4 players is not something I or others would not like either. There will be a workaround.

Last edited:

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Gee, I wonder who won Smash 64 singles now that Isai couldn't attend. /s

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
@ BurstPanther BurstPanther and @ Utena Utena you two are acting like kids:

Utena: any decent competitive player doesn't go to game 5 on purpose nor they will fight even if only 30 seconds are missing, they will do the optimal play which in this case it's to run and stall the time. These people are playing to win not to please the crowd, get over it. And while Smash 4 isn't as hype as something like Melee, it is a competitive game like any other Smash game and calling it an uncompetitive game is disrespectful to any professional Smash 4 player.

Brust Panther: Calling someone a Melee elitist fanboy just because he heavily dislikes Smash 4 is a really annoying habit that most Smash 4/ Brawl players have. If there is something that really grinds my gears is the people that automatically think you are a Melee elitist because you make a criticism to Brawl/ Smash 4. Please don't call him like that when you don't know anything about him.

Top Bottom