• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 Info Dump!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
New Jersey: Where Hype Goes to Die

but srsly though, i ****ing loved this grand finals

it was hella intense

and watching hbox work his *** off to get there (javi, mango, kk) made it that much more exciting

i was hella hyped when he won that 3rd match in the first set and when he took that set i was freaking out

still though, good **** to armada. knew he was gonna win from the getgo

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Also I'm really not impressed with the GFs commentary at all, imo it was extremely unprofessional.

poega

Smash Apprentice
All top 8 games were ****ing exceptional. Hbox's games lacked alot in entertainment value but were still as high-skilled as the other, more watchable games. Armada vs Mango and Javi vs PP were ****ing glorious and as awesome as anyone couldve hoped for.

Degree

Smash Apprentice
I think for Jiggs vs Peach to happen would determine the true best. Armada is still 0-1 vs Hbox with Peach. I'm waiting for it to happen.
Err no, the players playing decide the best. Armada has no reason to change his approach until Hbox bests it. He's getting much closer now from the looks of things, but he's had 3 attempts and still hasn't done it.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
A huge congratulations to Armada for winning this tournament. It's apparant that he has qualities of a real champion. He's simply so fantasticly stable, allways adapting, allways on track, playing his very best. That's what makes him the world's best player.

I'd say the next battle will be fought in Norway this summer. I hope to see as many of you as possible at SRMG! V

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Mew2King forfeited Melee for 17th to play Brawl.

Then he lost to the Japanese ROB, Ocean loooooool.

Then he gets 13th after losing to Rich Brown.

Should have stayed in Melee.

xianglongfa

Smash Apprentice
Mew2king staying probably would've changed the results of the tournament drastically.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Hbox played like a maniac this tourny. Armada was the champion though, a great performance nonetheless from both players.

Big Pookie

Smash Apprentice
Props to hbox for being a beast.
**** the haters.

Armada/javi mad respect to both of you. I'm actually excited to watch gfs when I get home :D

And of course to all my NW homies that put in work.

:phone:

wiito

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to find what since when Armada doesn't get Top 4, haven't found any tournament yet... Can someone correct me? If not, that's got to be the most consistent player of all time

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to find what since when Armada doesn't get Top 4, haven't found any tournament yet... Can someone correct me? If not, that's got to be the most consistent player of all time
As for his US tournaments:

Genesis 1 => 2
Pound 4 => 4
Apex 2010 => 2
Pound 5 => 2
Genesis 2 => 1
Apex 2012 => 1

I lost the count of his european tournaments though, but I think the last one where he didn't place first was ESA2 (thanks Wiito and X17), a few months before Genesis (where he placed third behind Amsah and Captain Jack if I'm not mistaking).

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I think even outside of top 8, in terms of results in general this is probably the worst/most whack results since....what genesis 1? Idk of other tournies with whack results.

wiito

Smash Apprentice
Try looking at European tournies from 2006-07.
The last tournament I found was: The Renaissance of Xmash 4, Varberg, July 3-6th 2007 where he got 4th, still searching

As for his US tournaments:

Genesis 1 => 2
Pound 4 => 4
Apex 2010 => 2
Pound 5 => 2
Genesis 2 => 1
Apex 2012 => 1

I lost the count of his european tournaments though, but I think the last one where he didn't place first was ESA3, a few months before Genesis (where he placed third behind Amsah and Captain Jack if I'm not mistaking).
That was ESA2

Twinkles

Smash Lord
This tournament definitely had the most unpredictable results I've ever seen in a while
Lots of people talking about how Melee died but

People still playing this game
Where's ur god now?

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
I know he got 4th at Smashers' Reunion 2 2007, about when he stepped up. Probably Ressisanse of Smash 3 and before he were probably placing lower

whatevermakesyouhappy

Smash Rookie
So yeah, people blaming Armada for camping this GF, I don't know what to say.

For as long as Armada have played this game, he's played it to win. That doesn't mean he LIKES playing these kind of matches. But if playing a campy style with YL is the best way to comfortably win against a jigglypuff in a GF, then that's what he's going to do. Armada is probably the last player to promote such matches, but if Jigglypuff is in that match, then that might be the best way to win. The metagame has pretty much stooped to that level it seems. When Jigglypuff started to become popular because people started to discover her uses in spacing and general lameness, nobody liked it. Today it looks like people just don't care anymore, and I'm not sure if I should feel surprised or not. I stopped following the scene when Jiggly started to become popular, but I never hoped for the game to evolve the way it did with her.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm mostly really disappointed in the impression Melee GFs had on other communities. Despite all the awesome **** that happened during the course of the tournament, those Street Fighter junkies will simply point at HBox vs. Armada and call Smash a bad game.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm mostly really disappointed in the impression Melee GFs had on other communities. Despite all the awesome **** that happened during the course of the tournament, those Street Fighter junkies will simply point at HBox vs. Armada and call Smash a bad game.
This could have been avoided if Armada played Peach. Seriously though.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
It could also be avoided if HB played whatever character, though he doesn't seem to have any good secondary.

DannyG

Smash Cadet
I was feeling this way too, but then I spoke to my friend who plays a lot of SF and who is not a troll and he said that reasonable people shouldn't get a bad impression at all. Campy and drawn out matches exist in SF as well, like fireball character vs. fireball character for example. Basically, haters gonna hate, and there's no reason to think something is bad about a game because of the way any one particular matchup is played. We here at smashboards know how technical and fast paced melee is, and anyone actually interested in melee will look at fox/falco/cf/marth/sheik/peach etc. and know there's more to the game than running away and timing out. /rant

Congratulations to Armada, proving that he is a cut above the rest! (pun intended)

Thino

Smash Master
those kind of campy GFs shouldnt be avoided.

to be honest people that are not familiar with Melee will not choose to start playing it or not JUST because of one boring GFs unless they dont know the thing that is called "matchups" in that kind of games

thinking they should switch characters for the sake of making GFs flashy doesnt seem too competitive to me

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yeah, I 100% agree. I don't understand why HBox didn't use Shiek at all, he's been using a lot at local tournaments.
Because he would get bodied badly if he whipped out a pocket Sheik against Armada.

Seriously people, why are you blaming the players for not entertaining you? This is an international tournament with thousands of dollars on the line, and the players used whatever characters they deemed would get them the best chances of winning. They weren't there to entertain you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom