• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My argument is not just the reps one, but rather the reps one in combination with the uniqueness one. Awakening is not going to get another rep unless he brings something new to the table. All this stuff, and there still hasn't been a move set presented that just seems to say "yes, that's Chrom, that's how he'd play".

They could just make him an Ike clone, I guess. But I find that unlikely.

If characters are going to be in as DLC just because of popularity and having a model and animations, Chrom still has to get in line behind half of the Assist Trophies, who have all of that, plus many have greater move potential.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
My argument is not just the reps one, but rather the reps one in combination with the uniqueness one. Awakening is not going to get another rep unless he brings something new to the table. All this stuff, and there still hasn't been a move set presented that just seems to say "yes, that's Chrom, that's how he'd play".

If characters are going to be in as DLC just because of popularity and having a model and animations, Chrom still has to get in line behind half of the Assist Trophies, who have all of that, plus many have greater move potential.
It's different for ATs because their model isn't as high res as Chrom. We still have SMTxFE to look after, so we don't know what new things Chrom or other characters can have.
There's really no need to argue because anything can happen. We know Chrom is still unlikely.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd actually kind of like it if Sakurai went totally out of left field and gave us something that represents Chrom...without actually being what we'd expect from Chrom at all.

Supposing, as was suggested earlier, he wield the skills of Awakening? Skills are a cool and interesting new feature in the game, so it'd be relevant to his actual abilities. He could use Aether to slice through enemies and restore health, for example, and boost his abilities with Rightful King.

How about sword and lance at once? Maybe you can even swap them at will - both would have similar abilities, but the sword could be swifter and more reliable, whilst the lance is more ranged and requires tactical inputs?

He can wield the power of the Divine Dragon, Naga, to unleash holy justice at will. Green flames swathe his blade and he commands her brilliant presence with range and diversity that, before Robin, was unseen in a Fire Emblem character. As he fights, he slowly builds towards his greater presence, finally culminating in the glorious sanctity of the Awakening. Tread lightly, though, for the power can become too much for a mere mortal to handle - and wielding its strength for too long without releasing it will cause steady damage until vindicated.

Perhaps he rounds off the weapon triangle in his own unique way: whereas Marth wields his sword with grace and agility and Ike swings it like a mighty axe, Chrom stays true to his martial training and wields it like a lance! Thrusting, parrying, riposting, keeping his foes at bay before lunging in for the coup de grace - Chrom is neither a dexterous fencer like Marth, nor a powerful warrior like Ike. He is thoughtful, determined, rational and temperate. Wielding the blade of Ylisse, he scopes out his opponents' weaknesses and prepares to strike before moving in for the kill. It would give him ranged play and a slower, more deliberate moveset than other swordfighters, but allow him also to strike at a moment's notice and move quickly when the situation calls for it.

The point I'm making is, although it's fair to say that Chrom doesn't have any distinct fighting style to the naked eye, he does nevertheless have a lot of potential to surprise us with something unique. He brings plenty new to the table, but only if Sakurai and the fans are willing to take a closer look at the Exalt and see just what he can really do.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
So, Chrom's a good choice because he already has a model, skeleton, and basic animations, which the team wouldn't have to make new.

Plus, he can be replaced by Morgan in Robin's Final Smash. As long as the team is willing to make new models, animations, etcetera.

Logical.
Morgan doesn't take that much work. The only new animation the move would have would be the finishing animation: The move is meant to be a "clone"; if they changed the animations it could wreck stuff. Morgan doesn't need to use a different skeleton than Chrom, even if they have different sizes, their sword arm is literally the only thing that would matter (they are invincible)

Morgan's model is literally a head. After that, They just need to resize Robin (they have the same clothes) and BAM; we have Morgan. The only problem with morgan is that the game would need to differentiate Female and male Robins moveset-wise; but this might be far simpler than i imagine (after all the game already does that for voice files)

Lastly, they can get the voice clips straight from awakening; literally only needing to add the names of the two new VAs to the credits which is oh-so-much work.

As you can see, the point is still completely valid if you'd only stop to think about stuff instead of trying to attack people just because.

OR

They can do as i suggested and handwave it by stating DLC!Chrom is from a different timeline than FS!Chrom. Simple, Cheap and Efficient. they literally did that with :younglinkmelee:.

They could even say it's the same Chrom and only have FS!Chrom using an palette swap. It's how Smash handles multiples of the same character after all. i also wouldn't mind if they gave Chrom a ridiculous strength, speed, flight and invincibility; as per robin's Fs...

Edit!

That bolded part...That's just your opinion. Who are you to decide that, anyways? We don't even know if Sakurai won't simply surprise us and come up with something completely out there for Chrom like he did multiple times before (:ness64:, :falcon64:, :fox64:, :sheikmelee:, :ganondorfmelee:, :zeldamelee:, :zerosuitsamus:, :lucario:,:rob:,:wario:,:4littlemac:,:4megaman:, :4mii:, :4palutena:, :4pacman:, :rosalina:, :4robinm:, :4villager:, :4greninja:). Arguably :rosalina: and :zerosuitsamus: don't even fit the purpose of character; so it's clear that yet again what you are fussing about isn't a problem because Sakurai simply doesn't give a damn. We could even end up with Chrom as a Link Clone (he literally just needs a substitute for Bombs, seeing as the boomerang could work as a hand axe and the others don't need any big changes) just as much as a 100% unique Chrom is possible.

Assist Trophies have far less detailed models and skeletons; and quite a few don't even have an easy :substitute: like Chrom has with morgan. Notably many even have their fingers pasted together as if a "block" in order to save time. This is especially noticeable with Waluigi and Takamaru.

ATs generally are characters who are not THAT popular (besides Ghirahim), unviable for multiple reasons (Mother Brain, anyone?) or simply denied by Sakurai (Waluigi). Ghirahim and Dark Samus are literally the only ATs we got so far that would have a shot at being promoted. Maybe Isaac if he returns, too; but i really doubt they would introduce a completely new series as DLC...

Chrom is still objectively the cheapest choice they could have. i don't see what you are trying to do by denying that fact

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
The problem isn't inventing something new, it's reinventing something we have. Fire Emblem, overall, had no real movement options to build into Melee. So the team invented them and they were good, they work.

Then to increase the character coverage in Brawl, the basics (charging standard special, counter down special) were modified and a new character was created with a clear difference from Marth. Marth was defined by speed and finesse, Ike defined by strength and power. Aether and Quick Draw are directly taken from FE9 attack animations, Eruption and Counter based on the 'standards' set by Marth.

Chrom, however, cannot be defined by how he is different from Marth, because that's how Ike is defined. Robin can be defined by how he's different from both other Fire Emblem characters, because he is a mage and not just a swordsman. Chrom cannot.

Also your list of 'created something from nothing' characters:
:ness64: = He's based heavily on the attack and weapon commands in Earthbound.
:ganondorfmelee: = Falcon Clone, he wasn't built at all.
:zeldamelee: = Built off the magic commands of OOT.
:zerosuitsamus: = Built off the Paralyzer and how different the ZS was from a level in a proper suit (Marth|Ike divide).
:lucario: and :4greninja: = Minus Lucario's Aura gimmick, both are built off of Pokemon moves in the same way Pikachu is.
:4littlemac: = He's built off various Punch Out mechanics and then fleshed out from there.
:4megaman: = I'm not even dignifying this with a response. If you don't know what his movepool is based on you shouldn't use him as evidence.
:4palutena: = Kid Icarus Uprising gameplay elements.
:4pacman: = Gameplay elements from every Pac game.
:4villager: = Elements from Animal Crossing
:4robinm: = I just covered why this isn't the case, he's also built directly off of gameplay elements from the entire Fire Emblem series.
:4mii: = Miis are built on being custom characters, that's the thing Miis are structured around.

Which leaves: :falcon64:, :fox64:, :sheikmelee:, :rob:,:wario:, and :rosalina: who are really examples of 'making stuff up.' And they all feel pretty much like I expect for those characters, but they are also all characters who aren't similar to anyone else (when they first showed up, every Space Animal is vaguely Fox-esque). But these six also feel incredibly correct for who they are, making Chrom a clone of anyone feels cheap, moreso if he's a clone of Link of all people.

Talk about an argument that takes you in reverse, Link!Chrom would feel the least like he should of any possible answer to him. The only possible way to make Chrom feel unique would be more work than DLC could actually muster which is make him play like MvC2 Captain Commando.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
[/quote]

First of all, my point wasn't that, it was that those characters brought new things to the table with unexpected methods... except Ganondorf, where the unexpected part is the fact that he is a clone, and of whom...

:ness64: = some of his specials aren't even his, having nothing to do with Earthbound!Ness; in particular Sakurai completely changed the meaning of Pk Thunder
:ganondorfmelee: = Nobody expected him to be a clone of Falcon, which is why i used the example of Chrom!Link. Dumb, but unexpected.
:zeldamelee: = Built off the magic commands of OOT... which aren't used by her; and she was never seen using magical sparks
:zerosuitsamus: = Plasma Whip and jet boots are made up; and the whole point of ZSS is avoiding fights.
:lucario: and :4greninja: = Aura, as said. double Team, extreme speed, Hydro Pump and Shadow sneak were used in extremely creative ways people hadn't thought of before. Water swords.
:4littlemac: = Nobody expected him to be a character based around super armor, and nobody expected him to bring the SPO KO meter, everybody expected him to have a Star Punch gimmick around getting stars; and there quite a few people who though of Mac as a"NO MOVESET POTENTIAL TROLOLO" character
:4megaman: = Most expected normals similar to other character (punches and kick) with weapons only for specials
:4palutena: = Kid Icarus Uprising gameplay elements... that aren't used by her. Also, Wings.
:4pacman: = i dunno why i put Pac man in here, i don't even know the guy well. Must have been a double click error with Palu.
:4villager: = Elements from Animal Crossing... used very creatively; plus Balloon Fighter
:4robinm: = Levin Sword isn't used for Slashing (not to mention it isn't iconic, and thus couldn't be properly expected), all tomes are used in creative ways besides Arcfire (more or less)
:4mii: = Miis are 100% smash original which people didn't expect. Most considered moves based on their own games rather than generic made up stuff.

And for the others

:falcon64: nobody ever saw Falcon on-foot to expect anything
:fox64: ridiculously creative adaptations of Arwing combat
:sheikmelee: didn't have anythign besides Vanish to work with
:rob: used his limbs and booster quite creatively
:wario: nobody expected sakurai to almost completely ignore wario Land
and :rosalina: wasn't expected to be a Puppeteer.

I don't get this bit, though

The problem isn't inventing something new, it's reinventing something we have. Fire Emblem, overall, had no real movement options to build into Melee. So the team invented them and they were good, they work.

Chrom, however, cannot be defined by how he is different from Marth, because that's how Ike is defined. Robin can be defined by how he's different from both other Fire Emblem characters, because he is a mage and not just a swordsman. Chrom cannot.

Which leaves: = ...:rosalina: who are really examples of 'making stuff up.' And they all feel pretty much like I expect for those characters, but they are also all characters who aren't similar to anyone else (when they first showed up, every Space Animal is vaguely Fox-esque). But these six also feel incredibly correct for who they are, making Chrom a clone of anyone feels cheap, moreso if he's a clone of Link of all people.

Talk about an argument that takes you in reverse, Link!Chrom would feel the least like he should of any possible answer to him. The only possible way to make Chrom feel unique would be more work than DLC could actually muster which is make him play like MvC2 Captain Commando.
I don't see how chrom couldn't (use of multiple weapons already does this enough if handled differently from Robin and ahving more weapons trees), or even why he must be that different.

:4myfriends: and :4marth: are basic, simple and fun. As long as Chrom plays differently (again, i'd suggest something like :roypm:) i don't see what so wrong about it. Link's moveset doesn't seem that fitting, but it also doesn't seem that wrong. It's dumb, but still you can't deny they could totally go that way and as long as Chrom's physics are changed enough to make him more agressive and less camping-oriented than Link...

i truly hope that doesn't happen. Better than being an Ike clone either way.

i don't see hwo ANYONE could think:rosalina: is "correct" representation of what she usually does and acts.

Last edited:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Sak
Even then, I still think an Alfonzo scenario is likely for Robin's Final Smash should Chrom become DLC. Morgan would make a fitting substitute. And it makes sense for Chrom to be there when not fighting, considering just how close Robin and Chrom are canonically.

And people, you really need to learn by now that Sakurai doesn't care about that silly "reps" fallacy. Characters aren't there to represent a specific game. They're there to be played as. In that way, Chrom makes quite a bit of sense for DLC. Sakurai, as stated, was just so enthralled by Robin to give Chrom a lot of thought. Now, Robin's in, so he may go back and think of more ideas should DLC come into play. Perhaps he'll go with a focus on mid-ranged aerial sword combat, with some rushdown qualities, which would be quite fitting given Chrom's Awakening animations. So what if Awakening gets another character? Need I remind you all that Pokemon had five out of its six characters in Brawl come from Generation I? It didn't matter because they were popular characters. You know who else, as noted by Sakurai, was a popular character? Chrom.

That, in my opinion, is why Chrom would make an excellent DLC choice. Combine that with the fact that a high-quality model is already there, and that it already has some basic rigging and animations attached to it, and it makes Chrom a low-risk, high reward investment on the part of the development team.
I was browsing the IMDB page for Super Smash Bros 3DS and I noticed that Stephanie Sheh would be reprising her role as Tharja in SSB for 3DS. There was also that leaked screenshot of Tharja on the 3DS which means she's very well in the game in one form or another. Tharja being voiced means that she'll probably be another Fire Emblem assist trophy. The other theory is that Chrom is not the only character that show's up in Robin's Pair Up Final Smash and Tharja might just be one of a few other characters.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Lemme try to explain: Trying to look at how the (non clone) characters are built, the way you go about it is outlining what specifically makes these characters feel unique, and then branch out from there. So with Falcon, as an example, they keyword is 'speed,' he's from a racing game, he has to feel fast. So he has the fastest footspeed, and barring PAWNCH everything comes out quick. Lagging at the end is for balance, but he's made to feel like he would be connected to a franchise like F-Zero. There aren't any aspects of his franchise that readily work as parts of his movepool, so he's built from a much looser framework (This applies to Fox, Sheik, ROB sorta, Wario, etc etc)

Anyone I pulled 'based off game things' (Ness, Zelda, Pokemon, Mega Man, etc etc etc) they took elements of the games, even if they aren't attached to the character specifically, to give the same feeling as Falcon = Speed, only with more specifics to work from. Yes, most of Ness's moves aren't his, and function differently than they do in a Turn based RPG. Yes, Zelda never uses the Goddess Magics, but they are from her series, so attaching them to her, and giving them a unique form (compared to, say, Link's focus being on the Zelda series items) makes her a unique character. The fact we didn't predict them is just proof of why we're not being paid money to design fighting game characters, but the tools in the character's arsenal are directly taken from the games they started in. Platformer characters translate a lot easier than everyone else, due to the mechanics of Smash being very similar to those of Kirby games (because Sakurai is Sakurai).

Marth is much more like Falcon, there was nothing intrinsically Fire Emblem in his moveset, but they all felt right for the theme of the game series: tippers representing critical hits, Dancing Blade and Counter representing multi-hitting and reactive strikes. While Ike is more like Zelda (Aether and Quick Draw pull directly from things in his game). His movements are, when possible, pulled from FE9 FE10 animations they had on hand. The elements shared with Marth help cement him as a Fire Emblem character, but he has enough completely unique elements he doesn't feel too much like Marth. The fact that nobody could have dreamed Mega Man would be built on a moveset of every functional Boss weapon they could doesn't mean he isn't built exactly out of the materials offered by his own series. The reason everyone expected punching and kicking from him is due to MvC/MvC2.

What the problem I have with making Chrom a clone of Marth, Ike, or Link is that he won't feel like his own character, he won't have an identity cemented in his own materials. I greatly dislike that Ganondorf is built off of Falcon, they have made him feel less like Falcon, but there are so many tools in Ganondorf/LoZ's toolbox that he could be made into his own unique character. Similarly I would rather have a Chrom that feels like Chrom than have a Link dressed like Chrom.

Chrom isn't alone in this situation, Out of 13 Fire Emblem titles the only other main lords that really have a chance to be 'unique' in some way are Cellica, Leaf, Lyn, Ephraim, and Micaiah. I'm sure we could throw together a dozen Links with a dozen different item sets and... they would all still feel like the Link we have. Little Mac will always be alone, Lucas is probably cut for being too Ness-like. There's not much room for more Space Animals, even if Krystal could have an entirely unique Adventures based moveset.

Making a character unique should always supersede making a character because people are crying for them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are still ways to make Chrom feel like himself. Play up the divinity of the sword, utilize the Shield of Seals (because hey, Marth's not using it. :p ), give him a more aerial focus and the best jumps of the FE cast. That fits his character, and covers some bases not covered by Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There are still ways to make Chrom feel like himself. Play up the divinity of the sword, utilize the Shield of Seals (because hey, Marth's not using it. :p ), give him a more aerial focus and the best jumps of the FE cast. That fits his character, and covers some bases not covered by Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin.
I agree - we need more shield-wielders in video games. Zelda and Dark Souls have spoiled me in that respect. It'd make for an interesting moveset, methinks, and having a defensive / air-based fighter would be a lot of fun, to boot. I can see him fighting similarly to Painwheel from Skullgirls or Bang from BlazBlue, in that case: a tough, powerful fighter that wants to stay airborne and prioritise defensive retaliation over gung-ho slaughter.

Rakath

Smash Ace
If I were to pick an air happy Fire Emblem character, it wouldn't be Chrom. Elincia, Tibarn, Naesala? Yeah, sure, go for it. Tiki would do too. Caeda/Shiida could be given the whole Dragoon Spear user package and that'd be pretty effective (I know she's not a Lord, but there haven't been many Peg Rider lords in FE). But there's not much 'in the air' about someone who can't Class Shift/promote into a Peg Rider or Dragon Rider class.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree - we need more shield-wielders in video games. Zelda and Dark Souls have spoiled me in that respect. It'd make for an interesting moveset, methinks, and having a defensive / air-based fighter would be a lot of fun, to boot. I can see him fighting similarly to Painwheel from Skullgirls or Bang from BlazBlue, in that case: a tough, powerful fighter that wants to stay airborne and prioritise defensive retaliation over gung-ho slaughter.
The way I see it, the size may be an issue to do a ton of physical things with outside of a shoulder bash smash attack, but there's the fact that it's a holy shield. Make it spew some holy fire for some midrange combat. It's not called the Fire Emblem for no reason, after all. :D

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I were to pick an air happy Fire Emblem character, it wouldn't be Chrom. Elincia, Tibarn, Naesala? Yeah, sure, go for it. Tiki would do too. Caeda/Shiida could be given the whole Dragoon Spear user package and that'd be pretty effective (I know she's not a Lord, but there haven't been many Peg Rider lords in FE). But there's not much 'in the air' about someone who can't Class Shift/promote into a Peg Rider or Dragon Rider class.
That is true. I wouldn't rule it out based purely on is class tree, though: Sakurai's showed us that stranger and more exciting things have happened with a little developmental ingenuity and artistic liberties!

The way I see it, the size may be an issue to do a ton of physical things with outside of a shoulder bash smash attack, but there's the fact that it's a holy shield. Make it spew some holy fire for some midrange combat. It's not called the Fire Emblem for no reason, after all. :D
That would be ridiculously cool. I can see Chrom just holding it up for a counter, when suddenly, bang - Divine Dragon judgement, y'all!

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Yeah, go pick the people who aren't relevant anymore or aren't main characters; great job.

there is no way a Horseback character would work well in smash even if it's a pegasus.

lots of people in smash have good aerials, some have nothing to do with air but it still fits.

Considering how ridiculous Chrom's jump attack (vs Marth) is, i wouldn't ay it's too farfethed to give him an aerial-focused moveset; they don't need to make him a jigglypuff for that to work.

Rakath

Smash Ace
See, if it was Lucina, I'd just assume her mom was Sumia, and that's why she's good at air stuff.
Yeah, go pick the people who aren't relevant anymore or aren't main characters; great job.

there is no way a Horseback character would work well in smash even if it's a pegasus.

lots of people in smash have good aerials, some have nothing to do with air but it still fits.

Considering how ridiculous Chrom's jump attack (vs Marth) is, i wouldn't ay it's too farfethed to give him an aerial-focused moveset; they don't need to make him a jigglypuff for that to work.
1. Never said they were relevant anymore, said they made more sense in the air than Chrom. But they would all be way more unique than Chrom.
2. Never said they would appear on horseback in combat, even on a Pegasus. And without a mount they would also be more unique than Chrom.
3. Marth uses the same Lord animations as Chrom and Lucina, you're reaching with that.
4. And Ike's jump attack in Radiant Dawn was a lot jumpier. Clearly he should be a monster in the air.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That bolded part...That's just your opinion. Who are you to decide that, anyways?
I didn't. Sakurai did.

Sakurai said:
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
What your entire breakdown of mechanics failed to take into account is that move diversity is just horrible in Fire Emblem. Every character moves, and attacks. Every sword wielding infantryman IS identical, except in terms of stats and animation. Ephraim was lauded for being a change from the sword-wielding Lord even by the main Fire Emblem fan base.

We already have Myrmidon (Marth) and Mercenary (Ike). The only other potential archetype for a sword wielding infantryman is Thief. Sothe has more unique move potential than Chrom.

Robin was chosen because he actually is unique and different, in-game. Chrom has nothing going for him. You guys keep stretching and arguing for him, but it just doesn't work. The shields and lances don't actually change the way he plays at all. The mechanics of Fire Emblem are too limiting. Sure, Spears and Bows give Chrom ranged potential. Yay. That's one special move (lifted directly from Link, BTW), and doesn't actually change the problem of him fitting into a very particular archetype that is already used.

Neither, for that matter, do his skills. Aether is the only usable one, and Ike already uses it. Most of his other skills are either completely unusable, or so twisted that they might as well be. Aegis is his next best bet, and it would likely work more like Psi Magnet or a Reflector than anything else (except negating/weakening hits instead of absorbing/reflecting them).

Fire Emblem does not do a great job at providing unique ways for characters to differentiate themselves. The main differentiation even within the series is class (or Archetype, for units like Lyn who have unique classes). Chrom's archetype is already used.

Awakening did a great job of supplying SOME differences between same-class units in the form of the switchable classes and ability to pick up unique skills (though it is a woefully unbalanced and under-utilized system). But most of those skills don't translate well, or at all, to Smash.

If Chrom gets in now, he's getting in as an Ike clone, and I REALLY don't see Nintendo making clones as DLC. People won't be as likely to buy them, and they will decry the idea as a cheap money-grab to play off customers. Possibly if they make DLC character packs, where you get a single solid newcomer with unique moves and a couple clones as an added benefit. But otherwise? Nope.

If we want Chrom to get in with as a unique fighter, we are going to need something new to draw from. Chrom's lucky in this regard. He IS going to be in a game which is going to have very different mechanics. He'll probably get something new, and then we could get him added in. Not until then.

Rakath

Smash Ace
@ Skyblade12 Skyblade12 Technically there could be a more Swordmaster styled unit than Marth, but Chrom wouldn't fit the design. The best choice would be Lyn. Because Lyn is back from when game animations were so over the top that it would make sense to give her teleport sword slashes and heavy end-lag moves that could be punished if they miss (which matches her stats, where she'd likely Crit-kill anything in the game... but she had no HP). With the Sol Katti critical as her Final Smash (being a reference to multi-game ability Astra). Which would give us the range of the 3 Lords from Blazing Swords pulled from separate titles (Merc Lord (Ike), Fencer Lord (Marth), and Myrm Lord (Lyn)).

But the animations and movements I'd put on Lyn wouldn't work on Chrom.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I didn't. Sakurai did.

What your entire breakdown of mechanics failed to take into account is that move diversity is just horrible in Fire Emblem. Every character moves, and attacks. Every sword wielding infantryman IS identical, except in terms of stats and animation. Ephraim was lauded for being a change from the sword-wielding Lord even by the main Fire Emblem fan base.

We already have Myrmidon (Marth) and Mercenary (Ike). The only other potential archetype for a sword wielding infantryman is Thief. Sothe has more unique move potential than Chrom.

Robin was chosen because he actually is unique and different, in-game. Chrom has nothing going for him. You guys keep stretching and arguing for him, but it just doesn't work. The shields and lances don't actually change the way he plays at all. The mechanics of Fire Emblem are too limiting. Sure, Spears and Bows give Chrom ranged potential. Yay. That's one special move (lifted directly from Link, BTW), and doesn't actually change the problem of him fitting into a very particular archetype that is already used.

Neither, for that matter, do his skills. Aether is the only usable one, and Ike already uses it. Most of his other skills are either completely unusable, or so twisted that they might as well be. Aegis is his next best bet, and it would likely work more like Psi Magnet or a Reflector than anything else (except negating/weakening hits instead of absorbing/reflecting them).

Fire Emblem does not do a great job at providing unique ways for characters to differentiate themselves. The main differentiation even within the series is class (or Archetype, for units like Lyn who have unique classes). Chrom's archetype is already used.

Awakening did a great job of supplying SOME differences between same-class units in the form of the switchable classes and ability to pick up unique skills (though it is a woefully unbalanced and under-utilized system). But most of those skills don't translate well, or at all, to Smash.

If Chrom gets in now, he's getting in as an Ike clone, and I REALLY don't see Nintendo making clones as DLC. People won't be as likely to buy them, and they will decry the idea as a cheap money-grab to play off customers. Possibly if they make DLC character packs, where you get a single solid newcomer with unique moves and a couple clones as an added benefit. But otherwise? Nope.

If we want Chrom to get in with as a unique fighter, we are going to need something new to draw from. Chrom's lucky in this regard. He IS going to be in a game which is going to have very different mechanics. He'll probably get something new, and then we could get him added in. Not until then.
No, what sakurai has said is that whatever he stopped to think about for Chrom wasn't good enough compared to his Ideas for Robin. And he didn't think of anything for Chrom, and that statement is the raw proof of that; whether he truly failed to create a satysfying moveset or simply couldn't be bothered to thanks to liking Robin so much, we don't know. But it seems pretty obvious to me by the way both characters were described that the case was the latter.

Problem is, again, you aren't Sakurai (neither are we); we don't know how much he considered Chrom and what those Chroms could ever do. It's possible he had a super cool chrom that in his opinion was 1% less unique than Robin; and he was just feeling like being a jerk in the interview. It's possible he never ever considered Chrom for the slot too.

I don't get your argument as a whole anyways. Seriously. Archetype this, Archetype that; WHY DOES THAT MATTER. As long as Chrom is playing differently from the other characters, why should his out-of-smash archetype matter? Chrom doesn't need to play by the book of Fire Emblem in smash. Its pointless to ever consider such logic when Sakurai has already disconsidered characters being bound by the games (:4zss:).

Another thing: You are using pre-release logic and you are basing yourself on Sakurai's pre-release logic. Let's imagine that this topic was about Mario KArt 8. Would you really consider the DLC characters that were just announced (besides Dry Bowser) for the normal roster? I don't think you would: Non-Mario characters would bring more hype and coverage this way, and the clones most wouldn't buy are paired with Link of all people.

Pre-Release and Post-Release are completely different beasts. Sakurai wouldn't think of characters in the same way for both periods. The decision to add Robin over Chrom was made , most likely, TWO YEARS AGO. And they were mutually exclusive: one gets in, the other doesn't. For DLC this kind of logic doesn't need to hold up.

Also, remember what i said before: Chrom is considerably cheaper to produce than other DLC characters. This little thing here is not a bonus; it's not a secondary consideration. If Chrom wasn't a final smash, if he didn't have so many things allowing the devs to cut corners and pour less money on him for the same goal as others... being more unique and being of a different archetype most likely wouldn't have mattered.

Chrom wouldn't be a unique characters that is also cheap to make. He'd be cheap to make, but also unique. Sakurai would consider him because he is cheap, THEN he would try to make him unique. Which brings me to another point: You are assuming Sakurai's opinion on Chrom cannot ever change. Do you remember someone who was considered unfit for fighting a while ago? :4villager:. And he made the cut sometime after. The problem is, that Sakurai legitimately considred Villager; it doesn't seem like he really stopped to consider what Chrom could do, and that a :4littlemac: approach of being not-that-unique but fun and cool looking actually works. He even repeated that with :4shulk:.

Sure, he could simply not change his mind, or refuse Chrom even though he is cheap.

It's hard to consider Chrom as a character when you deny everything he can do, which is what you are doing for god-now-what reason."Sothe has more potential than Chrom"... seriously; why are you going out of your wa to deny that Chrom could be, indeed, unique? Thankfully you are not in charge of the game; it's clear you'd never be convinced by any Chrom moveset til SMTxFE lets we flesh him out some more. that might happen far too late.

Well, maybe not; seeing as MK8 DLC is planned for May (barely an year after release). But hey, that could work even better for Chrom; he might get a few new moves, and he acts as a poster boy for another game (AKA he'd be added for the same reasons Roy and shulk were)

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No, what sakurai has said is that whatever he stopped to think about for Chrom wasn't good enough compared to his Ideas for Robin. And he didn't think of anything for Chrom, and that statement is the raw proof of that; whether he truly failed to create a satysfying moveset or simply couldn't be bothered to thanks to liking Robin so much, we don't know. But it seems pretty obvious to me by the way both characters were described that the case was the latter.
Actually, that line was taken directly from the interview with Sakurai when he was discussing Robin and Lucina. YOU are the one who has massively misinterpreted it to mean "Sakurai didn't think Chrom was as unique as Robin". That isn't what Sakurai said, at all. Sakurai said, and I will quote again:

Sakurai said:
I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means. At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike.

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.
That's stating Sakurai's opinion on Chrom's playability extremely clearly, in my mind.

Problem is, again, you aren't Sakurai (neither are we); we don't know how much he considered Chrom and what those Chroms could ever do. It's possible he had a super cool chrom that in his opinion was 1% less unique than Robin; and he was just feeling like being a jerk in the interview. It's possible he never ever considered Chrom for the slot too.
Wait a second. Weren't YOU the one saying "Series/Game representation doesn't matter? A single game can get any number of reps"? Because, if that's true, there is no possible way that Robin could have taken Chrom's spot. If Chrom had a decent chance, he would be judged on his own merits, not in comparison.

So which is it? Does the number of representatives a game has matters, in which case Chrom is unlikely to get in as Awakening's third rep, or did Sakurai just judge that Chrom didn't have the potential to be a playable character, in which case nothing has changed? You can't have it both ways.

I don't get your argument as a whole anyways. Seriously. Archetype this, Archetype that; WHY DOES THAT MATTER. As long as Chrom is playing differently from the other characters, why should his out-of-smash archetype matter? Chrom doesn't need to play by the book of Fire Emblem in smash. Its pointless to ever consider such logic when Sakurai has already disconsidered characters being bound by the games (:4zss:).
So, what you're saying is that you DON'T want Chrom in the game. You just want someone who looks like Chrom, but doesn't fight like him at all, use any recognizable moves or specials, and is basically a hollow mockery of Chrom as a character. Just as long as Chrom's name is in the game.

Another thing: You are using pre-release logic and you are basing yourself on Sakurai's pre-release logic. Let's imagine that this topic was about Mario KArt 8. Would you really consider the DLC characters that were just announced (besides Dry Bowser) for the normal roster? I don't think you would: Non-Mario characters would bring more hype and coverage this way, and the clones most wouldn't buy are paired with Link of all people.
The request to have non Mario characters in Mario Kart has been the largest request, by far, that has come from the Mario Kart fanbase over the past decade. Link and Villager are the highlights of those DLC packs, and the extra Mario reps are just added bonuses. No one is buying the DLC to get Tanooki Mario, they're buying it to get Link.

If you really want Smash Bros. DLC to work this way, then you're basically saying that you want to buy Chrom as a clone alongside some other hyped newcomer. If that's what you really want, more power to you, I guess. I'd actually like him to be a unique fighter.

Pre-Release and Post-Release are completely different beasts. Sakurai wouldn't think of characters in the same way for both periods. The decision to add Robin over Chrom was made , most likely, TWO YEARS AGO. And they were mutually exclusive: one gets in, the other doesn't. For DLC this kind of logic doesn't need to hold up.
For pre-release, clone characters get in because they are easier to implement and can get in-game without taking up too much development time before the deadlines. For post-release, they don't make sense, because instead of being added bonuses, they are now the primary content that people are going to be paying for, and you want to deliver something unique and interesting, or people won't shell out money for them.

Also, remember what i said before: Chrom is considerably cheaper to produce than other DLC characters. This little thing here is not a bonus; it's not a secondary consideration. If Chrom wasn't a final smash, if he didn't have so many things allowing the devs to cut corners and pour less money on him for the same goal as others... being more unique and being of a different archetype most likely wouldn't have mattered.
Not really. I hear this argument a lot, but if you look on most of the AT-disconfirmed characters, there are a lot of comments about just how good the models look. Chrom's isn't really much better than the others.

Besides that, though, there is the move set still. If we get DLC for Smash Bros., I'm not expecting Nintendo to rush out and army of clones. We'll get unique and different characters who are going to be worth the money spent. Not Pichu, Roy, and Clone Chrom.

Chrom wouldn't be a unique characters that is also cheap to make. He'd be cheap to make, but also unique. Sakurai would consider him because he is cheap, THEN he would try to make him unique. Which brings me to another point: You are assuming Sakurai's opinion on Chrom cannot ever change. Do you remember someone who was considered unfit for fighting a while ago? :4villager:. And he made the cut sometime after. The problem is, that Sakurai legitimately considred Villager; it doesn't seem like he really stopped to consider what Chrom could do, and that a :4littlemac: approach of being not-that-unique but fun and cool looking actually works. He even repeated that with :4shulk:.
He'd consider Chrom because he was cheap? Wow, that's the lowest opinion of the Smash Bros. developers I've heard in a long time.

Again, cheapness works AGAINST Chrom. People don't want to buy cheap products. The reason the Mario Kart 8 DLC has been so well received is because it's not cheap. It's a ton of content, including brand new models and textures for racers, not just rehashed assets.

Sure, he could simply not change his mind, or refuse Chrom even though he is cheap.
Or refuse Chrom for any number of other reasons. His popularity among fans has plummeted since the Robin reveal. Most Fire Emblem fans are a lot happier with Robin than Chrom, as fans were growing frustrated over "blue-haired lord" syndrome being the only representation this fantastic series received. Smash fans only really wanted him because he fit the profile of other characters who had made it in, so he was expected (with the Gematsu leak serving to reinforce his placement even further). Once they saw Robin, most of them agreed that he was a better choice as well and they've largely forgotten Chrom. So Chrom doesn't have nearly the fan support needed to make him DLC anymore.

It's hard to consider Chrom as a character when you deny everything he can do, which is what you are doing for god-now-what reason."Sothe has more potential than Chrom"... seriously; why are you going out of your wa to deny that Chrom could be, indeed, unique? Thankfully you are not in charge of the game; it's clear you'd never be convinced by any Chrom moveset til SMTxFE lets we flesh him out some more. that might happen far too late.
I'm not so blinded by my love for Chrom that I'm giving him potential he doesn't have, that's all.

Well, maybe not; seeing as MK8 DLC is planned for May (barely an year after release). But hey, that could work even better for Chrom; he might get a few new moves, and he acts as a poster boy for another game (AKA he'd be added for the same reasons Roy and shulk were)
Which would give him a possible way in, and even make him a pretty likely chance.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's stay civil people. These last few posts have been downright flaming at some points. Ease up, guys. :)

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
1- Actually, that line was taken directly from the interview with Sakurai when he was discussing Robin and Lucina. YOU are the one who has massively misinterpreted it to mean "Sakurai didn't think Chrom was as unique as Robin". That isn't what Sakurai said, at all. Sakurai said, and I will quote again:

That's stating Sakurai's opinion on Chrom's playability extremely clearly, in my mind.

2- Wait a second. Weren't YOU the one saying "Series/Game representation doesn't matter? A single game can get any number of reps"? Because, if that's true, there is no possible way that Robin could have taken Chrom's spot. If Chrom had a decent chance, he would be judged on his own merits, not in comparison.

So which is it? Does the number of representatives a game has matters, in which case Chrom is unlikely to get in as Awakening's third rep, or did Sakurai just judge that Chrom didn't have the potential to be a playable character, in which case nothing has changed? You can't have it both ways.

3- So, what you're saying is that you DON'T want Chrom in the game. You just want someone who looks like Chrom, but doesn't fight like him at all, use any recognizable moves or specials, and is basically a hollow mockery of Chrom as a character. Just as long as Chrom's name is in the game.

4- The requests to have non Mario characters in Mario Kart has been by far the largest request, by far, that has come from the Mario Kart fanbase over the past decade. Link and Villager are the highlights of those DLC packs, and the extra Mario reps are just added bonuses. No one is buying the DLC to get Tanooki Mario, they're buying it to get Link.

If you really want Smash Bros. DLC to work this way, then you're basically saying that you want to buy Chrom as a clone alongside some other hyped newcomer. If that's what you really want, more power to you, I guess. I'd actually like him to be a unique fighter.

For pre-release, clone characters get in because they are easier to implement and can get in-game without taking up too much development time before the deadlines. For post-release, they don't make sense, because instead of being added bonuses, they are now the primary content that people are going to be paying for, and you want to deliver something unique and interesting, or people won't shell out money for them.

5- Not really. I hear this argument a lot, but if you look on most of the AT-disconfirmed characters, there are a lot of comments about just how good the models look. Chrom's isn't really much better than the others.

Besides that, though, there is the move set still. If we get DLC for Smash Bros., I'm not expecting Nintendo to rush out and army of clones. We'll get unique and different characters who are going to be worth the money spent. Not Pichu, Roy, and Clone Chrom.

6- He'd consider Chrom because he was cheap? Wow, that's the lowest opinion of the Smash Bros. developers I've heard in a long time.

7- Again, cheapness works AGAINST Chrom. People don't want to buy cheap products. The reason the Mario Kart 8 DLC has been so well received is because it's not cheap. It's a ton of content, including brand new models and textures for racers, not just rehashed assets.

8- Or refuse Chrom for any number of other reasons. His popularity among fans has plummeted since the Robin reveal. Most Fire Emblem fans are a lot happier with Robin than Chrom, as fans were growing frustrated over "blue-haired lord" syndrome being the only representation this fantastic series received. Smash fans only really wanted him because he fit the profile of other characters who had made it in, so he was expected (with the Gematsu leak serving to reinforce his placement even further). Once they saw Robin, most of them agreed that he was a better choice as well and they've largely forgotten Chrom. So Chrom doesn't have nearly the fan support needed to make him DLC anymore.

9- I'm not so blinded by my love for Chrom that I'm giving him potential he doesn't have, that's all.

10- Which would give him a possible way in, and even make him a pretty likely chance.
i separated your post and mine with numbers for ease of reading. and everyhting else really.

1- I re-read this part of our conversation and we both have gotten sidetracked. What you were saying at first is that there wasn't an moveset that would make Chrom feel like Chrom; which i answered with "you aren't Sakurai, how would you know that"; and you gave me the bit of the interview that says nothing about what i inquired. Sakurai, at no point said something to the effect of "i couldn't find something that truly felt like Chrom". Which even if he did, it's a simple matter of playstyle; it's the biggest factor in determining "feel". Sure specials (like Inhale) and some normals (Mega Buster) aid in those "feelings" but generally it's the character's own physics. Bowser wouldn't really feel like Bowser if his movement/attack speed matched Fox's. that'd be pretty awesome though. But "feeling" is subjective, in the end. See how some people (Like me) feel like Rosalina's Luma gimmick is completely out-of-character for her, and how others say it's fitting. it's subjective.

Regardless, I do stand on my interpretation of sakurai's comment. If he thought Chrom was unique, he would've added him; or at least he wouldn't have said what he did. It just saddens me, because seeing how he referred to Chrom and Robin both, IMO, it's pretty clear he never truly considered him over Robin, as in, it wasn't a hard decision. Would you really have a hard time in not including Chrom if he offered nothing IYO? i don't think you would. which is why the DLC is this movement goal; without Robin to "fight" against Chrom, there is nothing impeding Sakurai from thinking stuff for him, and there are a lot of corners to be cut when making Chrom, 100% unique or otherwise.

2- I am pretty sure i wasn't active in that part of that discussion. i do believe in "repping", i am just not sure if clones really count in Sakurai's mind due to how he referred to Lucina at a few points. It's just a matter of Sakurai believing in "reppin" or not, and we really don't have enough to go on at this point because this issue isn't present for any other character; besides Mewtwo (too many gen1 pokes is something i've heard sometimes.)

3- No, what i'm saying is that you are limiting yourself too much to the boundary of FE instead of expanding your horizons. Chrom can use stuff he used in awakening, he can move in ways that make you feel like "yes, that's how chrom would move!" (don't say that aloud though) and bring new things to the table, give a new spin to old stuff (AIE how his aether would work), and/or revive an old and unused playstyle).

I'm ultimately questioning your "archetype" argument; because i don't see why it matters. You say Ike is a merc, Marth's a myrmidon, and that there is no other way out for Chrom; because he needs to belong in some FE archetype even though this is not Fire Emblem. Does Roy belong in any archetype? he actually does, and it's Berserker...a fiery Berserker

I also disagree with Marth being a "myrmidon". He is balanced, not super-speed oriented with potential for awesome damage. If you give Sheik a sword, THAT would be something more like a myrmidon ('d say meta knight, but he flies...). i don't feel like that archetype would be properly represented by anyone but Lyn herself. Marth is a pure "Lord" archetype, if anything.

I do want something that feels like Chrom. I'm sure you might remember me going against suggestions of Chrom switching to a Lance to the extent Robin switches his swords; because that wasn't chrom-like and it would forever deconfirm Pig Ganon.

4- you aren't getting my point here. kinda. I'm saying one kind of logic is used when deciding to include characters in the pre-release period, and another kind is used for the post-Release period.

i'm also saying you are using pre-release logic for a post-release problem. Robin's moveset surely wasn't an easy one to program (even if it kinda made itself for Sakurai), what with the Tomes/Levin Sword running out, Nosferatu having back slash properties, and the all new Aerial smash attack. If this was the other way around, Sakurai would most likely NOT go through the same logic when considering Robin's moveset. He might have gone further than what he gave us now to make people more interested; just as he might have given us a simpler robin with unbreakable weapons in order to not waste too much time. There are different circumstances, so there are lower chances of him approaching the character in the same way as before; again, like how Villager worked.

5- I, personally, disagree. Most people seem to disagree to an extent as well, as one thing i've heard a lot is that chrom's model was very well made for someone who isn't playable; and what is the comparison for that? Assist Trophies. That's not to say that the ATs mostly don't look good, they do. Also, Chrom or not, the "promoted to playable" character would need a few slight texture and model upgrades, yes. Dark Samus for example has a really flat power suit, which would need some fixing. The main argument here, is that Chrom looks the best out of the other characters, and he'd need the least graphical upgrades out of the others if they go with him.

Riki's design does look very good, too like Chrom's does, because he is primarily a final smash. thinking about it, it would be funny if someone summoned Riki to fight against shulk right before he used his FS on them... anyways, he is not in a position for that promotion to happen like Chrom is.

I said before that Linkrom was surprisingly viable; but that's not what we want; and i never promoted that idea seriously (it was done just for argumentation purposes). And yes, a great point, there is also moveset... we aren't talking about that on this part though. You seem under the impression i want a Chlome; probably because of me bringing up MK8 DLC. That was just to highlight how devs do try to go for things that cost less money at some points; of course, the extent of what they'd do is another thing.

Chrom doesn't really work as a clone though, thanks to Lucina he'd have to be unique. People wouldn't react well to 5 Fe reps, 2 being clones and 4 being too simplistic. And unless he came in a pack, as said before he wouldn't be purchased due to his own merits.

6- He'd start considering Chrom for that, yes. Re-considering, actually; as well already covered the part where Sakurai recognizes Chrom has the popularity, importance and relevance to be playable in Smash Bros. He was just outclassed in uniqueness when fighting over a specific slot.

It's not a "low' opinion, it's a realistic one. If you were in Sakurai's shoes, AFTER considering cut vets for DLC (which more work or not, would probably be the top priority)... wouldn't you first try to look at what the default game already has? to see, if there aren't things that can't be used in order to bring the contest in a faster and cheaper fashion? Sure, this kind of logic can, indeed, bring us to Chlome... but Lucina kinda would force Sakurai to find something unique for him.

Sakurai ultimately belongs to a capitalist company. Making more with less is something they consider; and it just so happens that to a good level of that, Chrom would be "pleasant' to their interests. Sakurai knows that us, Chrom fans, exist in a decent size since as he noted, " “What? Not Chrom!?” I suspect a lot of you will ask. ". In other words, quite a few expected Chrom, and thus, he knew there ought to be quite a few people looking forward to play as him. Seems like a win-win situation.

As i said, in terms of being deserving, and important, only Dark samus and Ghirahim fit the bill (though they can go for Retro DLC). Out of all ATs (so far), Ghirahim, Waluigi and Tingle were the only ones with enough popularity to ever be considered (this is kinda important for DLc if characters aren't stuck into packs), and it seems the latter two aren't going to make that jump to playable anytime soon.

And i was talking strictly about characters for the MK8 DLC comparison. For all we know we would get new stages, items or game modes together with the characters.

7- Depends. Cheapness of moveset can surely work against Chrom; besides reusing a slash, two at most, from his actions in Robin's FS. that's the only cheapness that would work against Chrom, and is the one cheapness we are NOT arguing for, or even about. in terms of cheapness, this is what we are arguing:

a) Chrom's model is already there, with a full skeleton (and cape physics), and he would need fewer adjustments in modeling and texturing than other character in a similar position; and as we know, Modeling is very expensive and cutting this corner is huge.
b) Chrom's trailer is easier to make, due to the plot being an easy sequel to Book, blade and Crest
c) Chrom's trailer is easy to make due to reusing assets from Awakening itself
d) Making up for Chrom being a final smash can be handwaved by playable!Chrom being from a different timeline, which can even be extended to making Robin his final smash
e) Morgan could take Chrom's place as a FS. Both would need just a new head model and a slight resize of Robin's body. Morgan as a FS isn't too voice-intensive and the voice clips can be taken directly from awakening. The only thing, is that they'd need a need a new ending animation (chrom probably has the ground stab thing)... assuming they don't just disappear after the finishing blow.
f) Some of Chrom's lines can be reused from Awakening or his role of FS. Sure, he'd need more voices too; but it's another corner slightly cut.
g) Chrom can potentially re-use an asset or two from some characters; even if he has another unique gimmick he is bound to share some stuff at a base level (like Aether)

(and while not part of that specific argument, it's always worth remembering that Chrom is popular, relevant and important as of now. That, and the far less intensive design period of DLC, together with Robin getting out of the way, allows Sakurai to calmly and fairly analyse Chrom to see that he can be good in smash, indeed.)

8- if Sakurai believes in repping even for DLC, and really considers Lucina as a 4th, legitimate rep; or if he is simply satisfied with bringing back cuts and that's it... yeah; things just got troublesome for Chrom; but our movement exists for a reason. Sure, he could even have another reason; but we don't know that to even argue about it.

But you are again thinking with the pre-release mindset. We already got our "unique" representative, Chrom's popularity changing cannot be argued about as we don't have proof. And you are only speaking for a minority of fans that have made themselves known in forums and such.

Remember: besides the people that follow smash bros news closely, most people simply don't care about that much uniqueness. They will look at Chrom and say "oh, he is that cool dude from Robin's Fs". They aren't looking for "new experiences' as much as they are looking for "fun". If Chrom looks fun, and cool to boot, they will get him. That's where a simpler playstyle works well for Chrom. Though it seems Sakurai doesn't get that yet; maybe Little Mac's inevitable popularity over the more unique guys will show him that.

And you are right, people liked Robin. you know why? Because they saw him being playable. If Sakurai wanted to, Chrom could be more unique than Shulk without any big strecthes; and look at the reception he got? If Sakurai wanted to, he could just focus on making Chrom's playstyle awesome with a simple moveset focusing on slashes, similarly to Little Mac; look at the reception he got.

As long as he wasn't a clone, i am 100% sure people would like Chrom. Sure, there would always be people complaining, there are those for every character and that's inevitable. But ti would please people following the news, and please people who just care about playing the game. Heck, Look at shulk again: 'i'm really feeling it" was all he really needed to be popular with the community.

You are also right Chrom doesn't have much support as of now. And yet, our movement isn't made just to convince Sakurai and sakurai alone that Chrom would be awesome.

9- And what potential Chrom doesn't have? using non-Falchion weapons more than the Falchion is so far the only wrong thing that pops up consistently for Chrom that i'd agree with you. Besides that, everything else fits Chrom somehow; even in the case of the gemstones, where it's more of a reference to Marth's games than himself (it's only logical he could think of using the gems, if he is already using the shield)

Using offensive Skills? Valid. Using support skills? Valid. Using defensive skills? Valid. Using throwing weapons as a special move? Valid. Bringing non-falchion swords as Side-grades? Valid. Picking a god and praying for power? Valid. Using an item or naga's blessing for health? Valid. Using a bow for a special move? Valid. Using a shield for defense? Valid. Using the gemstones within the shield for buffs? Worth a shot imo. Resuscitating Roy's playstyle with some upgrades/changes? Valid. Temporary promotion to great lord for Final smash? Valid. Summoning robin as a final smash? Hilarious and valid. Summoning a friend to help him in battle? Valid, depending on what friend and their job...

that's plenty of stuff, mentioned after i got in here. there is undoubtedly even more in the 80+ pages before my arrival.

10- Yes, but my fear is that it would come too late. We haven't heard much about the game, it will probably take a while before it gets released everywhere... and Chrom might not even have a big role there. The good thing though, is that knowing how SMT works, Chrom would undoubtedly have access to some buffing moves which could work well here. bonus points if they use FE skills and let people learn non-canon skills... and SMT exclusive stuff too.

@ Opossum Opossum Sorry for getting a little upset. Kinda discounting IRL rage from personal problems here at times... that has nothing to do with you guys though; so, again, Sorry.

Last edited:

Rakath

Smash Ace
The issue with giving Chrom secondary weapons, buff/debuffs, and or 'making him a Link clone' is you are diminishing other characters individual mechanics for your own personal desire. While the stitched together abilities of several fighters onto a single fighter would technically lead to unique experiences, it does not make unique identities.

The only way I see giving Chrom lances/hand axes/bows/etc is if they use the same weapon break system as Robin. Buffs and Debuffs bring us into Shulk's sphere of individual mechanics, and 'making him a Link clone' is obviously stealing from Link's movepool. Stealing Roy's clone status to make Chrom a modified copy of a copy seems pretty uninspired too. Temp Promotion to Great Lord only works if his moveset suddenly gains lances he didn't have before, or a horse. Reversing Robin's final smash is... cute, but all around uninspired.

I read through the first page of movesets, and while several of them were unique, I wouldn't say most were inspired. And every time I saw a set that was Lance heavy I thought 'why not Caeda' and go back to the Fire Emblem worldbuild with the most games. Playing off the Skills in Awakening would probably be the best choice, but to make him feel as much like Chrom as possible you'd have to stick to Chrom's skillpool (while a Second Gen character has a wider array of skills to pull from, like Morgan).
Chrom's a great character, but he doesn't add enough to really feel worth the DLC effort, compared to the Hype 3, Krystal, Dixie... maybe Mach Rider.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So apparently Chrom is in Robin's victory screen pose...... So there's that.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I wonder if that's a good thing or bad thing. I guess it means Chrom could have the same victory posed if he becomes playable.
It might make the process to making him playable that much easier, at least for the people that will eventually make Project M on 3ds/Wii U.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if that's a good thing or bad thing. I guess it means Chrom could have the same victory posed if he becomes playable.
It might make the process to making him playable that much easier, at least for the people that will eventually make Project M on 3ds/Wii U.
People were already making Chrom skins in Brawl.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I'll support Chrom for DLC only if there's also DLC to make Lucina and other clone characters unique.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
At least you guys can port over the model used for Chrom as a Lucina alt (in both games) via mods and EASILY reuse Awakening and Smash 4 sound effects for Chrom if you make him work as an alt.

A lot of Roy fans wish they had something like this awesome Chrom model in Brawl so it would be easier to do...

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Dammit sakurai.

The issue with giving Chrom secondary weapons, buff/debuffs, and or 'making him a Link clone' is you are diminishing other characters individual mechanics for your own personal desire. While the stitched together abilities of several fighters onto a single fighter would technically lead to unique experiences, it does not make unique identities.

The only way I see giving Chrom lances/hand axes/bows/etc is if they use the same weapon break system as Robin. Buffs and Debuffs bring us into Shulk's sphere of individual mechanics, and 'making him a Link clone' is obviously stealing from Link's movepool. Stealing Roy's clone status to make Chrom a modified copy of a copy seems pretty uninspired too. Temp Promotion to Great Lord only works if his moveset suddenly gains lances he didn't have before, or a horse. Reversing Robin's final smash is... cute, but all around uninspired.

I read through the first page of movesets, and while several of them were unique, I wouldn't say most were inspired. And every time I saw a set that was Lance heavy I thought 'why not Caeda' and go back to the Fire Emblem worldbuild with the most games. Playing off the Skills in Awakening would probably be the best choice, but to make him feel as much like Chrom as possible you'd have to stick to Chrom's skillpool (while a Second Gen character has a wider array of skills to pull from, like Morgan).
Chrom's a great character, but he doesn't add enough to really feel worth the DLC effort, compared to the Hype 3, Krystal, Dixie... maybe Mach Rider.
I don't see it. WFT has a buff move too, and the only buff chrom could share with shulk is a speed buff. Shulk's gimmick is not even buffing, since it has side-effects on him, it's basically a "mode change". WFT uses a "power" buff. If using his skills or the gemstones, Power would not be messed with unless they give him Sable.

Do remember that Chrom would need to use the Shield of Seals and thus the buffs would most likely not come for free. Maybe it could be like a counter move, except it buffs Chrom instead of damaging the opponent when it triggers (The opponent would be pushed back from the shield bash, of course. and Vert being a custom move means we'd get a basic counter).

Secondary weapons has nothing to do with what Robin does if it's executed differently. Making him a Link clone; please let that go. that was just an example. Though for projectiles there would need to have some limits they could make the "break" system more realistic and have him run out of Arrows or 1-2 weaps.

When people talk about Roy, they talk about how Roy worked, not his moves. A Glass Cannon with a Sword. Of course, plenty of aspects would need to change (Chrom can't be as powerful because he'd have a normal sword, he'd probably be heavier than Marth, lack of t3h ph1r3z)

Nobody has said Chrom's other melee weapons shouldn't break. He has the falchion, so they kinda NEED to break to make the Falchion have an ultimate advantage.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dammit sakurai.
Couldn't you be a little bit more grateful?

Imagine if he would have just disregarded Chrom altogether, Final Smash and Victory Pose presence and all. That would have truly been the short end of the stick to Chrom's supporters. Chrom's quite present enough to not be noted as part of SSB4 when it comes to Robin (basically like Palutena was in SSBB)

Appreciate the fact that while not having moveset potential like Robin, the dev team know that Chrom's is still important part of him and appears in his most major things in the game? After what came to be, this is IMO the best outcome for him to have for not being playable.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Couldn't you be a little bit more grateful?

Imagine if he would have just disregarded Chrom altogether, Final Smash and Victory Pose presence and all. That would have truly been the short end of the stick to Chrom's supporters. Chrom's quite present enough to not be noted as part of SSB4 when it comes to Robin (basically like Palutena was in SSBB)

Appreciate the fact that while not having moveset potential like Robin, the dev team know that Chrom's is still important part of him and appears in his most major things in the game? After what came to be, this is IMO the best outcome for him to have for not being playable.
Victory pose is not helping anything, unlike Final smash.

and if he had said absolutely nothing about chrom, well. he'd have less reasons to be DLC (can't cut as many corners now), but i'd say having NOTHING would be too suspicious. could backfire later, sure, but still.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Victory pose is not helping anything, unlike Final smash.
While it doesn't help him to become playable, it at least shows he's still present in Smash 4, albeit in a supporter role. But really, Final Smash in top of also appearing in a Victory Pose? That's a lot things to shake at for a guy who isn't playable. (Doc Louis ain't coming close)

Seeing how much more they could do with Robin than they would have done with Chrom, this is icing it on the cake to those who were afraid he wasn't treated with much respect after falling from Gematsu-debunking.

Who knows, perhaps they won't go into the route of DLC-characters, which ultimately leaves us with this. But to be honest, I wouldn't ask for more at this point. A lot people (like me) have moved on from Chrom and try to stick to what is currently present: which is why this makes us pretty happy due him still being noted in a major scale.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
While it doesn't help him to become playable, it at least shows he's still present in Smash 4, albeit in a supporter role. But really, Final Smash in top of also appearing in a Victory Pose? That's a lot things to shake at for a guy who isn't playable. (Doc Louis ain't coming close)

Seeing how much more they could do with Robin than they would have done with Chrom, this is icing it on the cake to those who were afraid he wasn't treated with much respect after falling from Gematsu-debunking.

Who knows, perhaps they won't go into the route of DLC-characters, which ultimately leaves me with this. But to be honest, I wouldn't ask for more at this point. A lot people (like me) have moved on from Chrom and try to stick to what is currently present: which is why this makes us pretty happy due still being noted in a major scale.
which ultimately is still not playability.. so there is no reason to feel "glad' or anything. Being a final smash and in victory poses isn't going to repair the damage dealt by how the trailer treated him and subsequently how the internet picked up from that.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So he's in the victory pose too. Huh.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
which ultimately is still not playability.. so there is no reason to feel "glad' or anything. Being a final smash and in victory poses isn't going to repair the damage dealt by how the trailer treated him and subsequently how the internet picked up from that.
To me that's quite in the past, the meme seemed to die as of now.

And yeah, this ain't gonna be Chrom's show, yes. But he's still there to support you the best way he can, and at this point, it's all that matters as his supporter. Though maybe I have better transition because I decided to pick up Robin right away after the day he was revealed. (Though the internet made me resent him for a while. I dunno why I let that get to me at this point, TBH.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom