• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Because clones are easy to add, and Lucina could more easily be designed as a clone of Marth (since Marth is completely different).

Because Lucina generally speaking had a more positive reception by both the Fire Emblem fanbase and Smash fanbase.
Yes, I've stated countless times that I understand why Lucina was put in, clones are easy, she was easy. It has literally nothing against Chrom, I'm simply saying that if Lucina can be put in as a clone, then they can surely think of something for Chrom (who doesn't actually fight like Marth or Lucina mind you.)

Not after a trailer was made of straight up burying a character and deconfirming them in every way possible.
Yeah sure, except Sakurai has outright stated Villager wouldn't come to Smash, and look where he is now.

people back in the pre-Brawl days before that August update (wow it's been 7 years, lol! I feel old!) that confirmed Ike thought Michiah could get in over him.
Not sure what point this is making really.

Overall what I'm getting at is this movement should be more realistic about things.
Oh boy, here we go.

Asking for Chrom as an alternate character for Marth or Lucina would garner IMO a bigger audience and would be easier to do.
A bigger audience? No. If anything it'd make some people disappointed, Chrom being an alternate costume wouldn't bring about a bigger audience.

Sure it might not be how you originally wanted it, but hey, it's a lot better than the way the Starfy fans keep getting shafted (on Christmas day no less).
I'm pretty sure Chrom's deconfirm was about as brutal as it gets.

We'll take what we can get, but we're still going to push for Chrom as DLC, there's NOTHING unrealistic about that. Asking for an alt is even worse considering he doesn't necessarily fight like Marth or Ike, like people, including YOURSELF, have said countless times:

Lucina fights like Marth, that's what earned her an extra spot on the roster.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Yes, I've stated countless times that I understand why Lucina was put in, clones are easy, she was easy. It has literally nothing against Chrom, I'm simply saying that if Lucina can be put in as a clone, then they can surely think of something for Chrom (who doesn't actually fight like Marth or Lucina mind you.)

Yeah sure, except Sakurai has outright stated Villager wouldn't come to Smash, and look where he is now.

Not sure what point this is making really.

Oh boy, here we go.

A bigger audience? No. If anything it'd make some people disappointed, Chrom being an alternate costume wouldn't bring about a bigger audience.

I'm pretty sure Chrom's deconfirm was about as brutal as it gets.

We'll take what we can get, but we're still going to push for Chrom as DLC, there's NOTHING unrealistic about that. Asking for an alt is even worse considering he doesn't necessarily fight like Marth or Ike, like people, including YOURSELF, have said countless times:

what earned her the spot on the roster, most likely, was that she was the most polished alt they had that wasn't the original character, possibly the only one.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well this may just be nitpicking, but Lucina was never stated to fight like Marth. She just impersonates him. Canonically, she has the same fighting style as Chrom. Technically speaking, that would make an alternate skin/clone idea for Chrom more workable.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Right, I meant specifically in FE13. (But thanks for clearing that up, really.)

But, ingame, Chrom and Lucina don't wield their blades or strike the same way from what I've seen.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Chromsider me a Chrom supporter. I'd honestly be happy for Chrom to be an Ike skin with some more VA work, or an Ike clone, but a fully fleshed out Chrom would be cool too.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Real quick, on the idea the DLC Marth and Lucina don't fight like actual Marth -- I think Marth's fighting style was simply retconned for FE13 into what we see, or Nintendo just decided to make it entirely different for a 3D game.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Right, I meant specifically in FE13. (But thanks for clearing that up, really.)

But, ingame, Chrom and Lucina don't wield their blades or strike the same way from what I've seen.
You might want to watch the Arena Ferox cutscene again.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
As in, ingame battles, not just counting cutscenes.
Yeah "My father" I got that, I'm talking about the actual gameplay fights.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Real quick, on the idea the DLC Marth and Lucina don't fight like actual Marth -- I think Marth's fighting style was simply retconned for FE13 into what we see, or Nintendo just decided to make it entirely different for a 3D game.
Or they were just lazy and didn't want to create new animations for the DLC characters.

Unless you want to say that Micaiah was retconned into being a Dark Mage. Or that Ike used Ragnell by throwing it.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Well, Marth had his own class.
It was just an idea, sorry if it's undeniably wrong.

EDIT: Regardless though, in gameplay, Lucina and Marth fight exactly alike in FE13, while Chrom fights differently.
If I'm wrong, tell me, but it doesn't seem like Lucina and Chrom fight the same way.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Robin doesn't wield swords in any cutscene, only tomes.

Perhaps Sakurai have to make him a full mage only to be "cutscene canon".
I was talking about Chrom and Lucina, not Robin.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
False, do you have nothing to say to my comment about how they fight ingame?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Let's keep this civil, people. Wouldn't want this to devolve into a heated debate.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Good point.
I never meant to seem hostile, apologies if I offended anyone.

I was serious about my question though, False.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Now that I think about it, Chrom is the only character in the game who has unique animations. And two portraits (left and right).

Irrelevant I know, but interesting.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
He's one of the only characters that especially NEEDS it because of that shoulder guard.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Inigo, Gregor, Vaike Severa and Flavia, all of them have shoulder armors, but still they only have mirrored portraits.
Same with Brady and his scarface.

Chrom recieves special treatment (like Nergal, according to the wiki). Mostly because of his brand.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Oh. It's the brand not the armor. Oops.

I promise I've beaten Awakening, it's just been awhile.
(That's why I'm replaying it -- that and to do a "Robin" avatar playthrough for Smash)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know I said news today, but...and bare with me...something came up today IRL (college related thing I had to take care of) so it'll be here tomorrow, or later in the week at worst. :)

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I'm a huge Awakening fan (lunatic mode is currently killing me), but at this point I don't see Chrom being in the game.

Four blue-haired swords-people from the same franchise? Chrom certainly has merit as a unique fighter, but that's too much for me.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Sakurai can make a character play like he wants to. I don't remember Ike making the movements he does in his standard A attack in PoR.
On the topic of Chrom alt costume, I appreciate @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 saying a more realistic goal is more plausible. It's not wrong, it's an opinion/suggestion. I personally wouldn't mind an alt with VA, but if that's the case then why not his own slot? I wouldn't mind Chrom as a Mii Swordfighter clone or Ike clone, but I still think we should ask for more than that since it won't hurt. It's not like we don't know how incredibly low his chances of even being an alt is.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
On the topic of Chrom alt costume, I appreciate @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 saying a more realistic goal is more plausible. It's not wrong, it's an opinion/suggestion. I personally wouldn't mind an alt with VA, but if that's the case then why not his own slot? I wouldn't mind Chrom as a Mii Swordfighter clone or Ike clone, but I still think we should ask for more than that since it won't hurt. It's not like we don't know how incredibly low his chances of even being an alt is.
My opinion on Chrom not getting his own slot is simple: I think that the way things would go that if there could be a character (namely a clone) would be Roy, not Chrom (although Roy could obviously also be an alternate for Marth).

Plus, Chrom uses the same weapon as Marth and Lucina, and roughly has the same build, speed, height, and weight, so he seems to fit being an alternate costume for them pretty well.

I mean, at the very least, if I were you guys, I'd present both options. But realistically, I don't see why you wouldn't push for the alternate costume thing just as much, as it is the more realistic thing (at least as far as I can tell).

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
My opinion on Chrom not getting his own slot is simple: I think that the way things would go that if there could be a character (namely a clone) would be Roy, not Chrom (although Roy could obviously also be an alternate for Marth).

Plus, Chrom uses the same weapon as Marth and Lucina, and roughly has the same build, speed, height, and weight, so he seems to fit being an alternate costume for them pretty well.

I mean, at the very least, if I were you guys, I'd present both options. But realistically, I don't see why you wouldn't push for the alternate costume thing just as much, as it is the more realistic thing (at least as far as I can tell).
Sure, an alt costume and FS is better than just FS, but asking for Chrom as a character could at least give him his own slot, or if the development team really doesn't care about him, an alt.
On the plus side he already has his own HD model and a few voice tracks. It'll be very easy to make him an alt, a little more effort for his own slot, and more effort for an original moveset.
By asking for Chrom with an original moveset, they'll at least consider that option and go with the easier options if they want.
(Personally I won't mind if Chrom is a clone, but I'm not sure about the rest.)

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Anything is fine for me at this point. I prefer him as an alt for Ike, because Marth's idle stance animations are too girly for Chrom.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if anything I feel he'd fit better as an alt for Ike, he may have the same blade as Marth (far into the future but whatever) but he's certainly no fencer like Marth is portrayed in Smash.

Regardless though, we're pushing for DLC, like we always have.

EDIT: Curiously, do my arguments not hold any water?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
False, do you have nothing to say to my comment about how they fight ingame?
Oh, I just now noticed this (you know, it might help if you quote or tag me so I know if you're asking me something).

Well, Marth had his own class.
It was just an idea, sorry if it's undeniably wrong.

EDIT: Regardless though, in gameplay, Lucina and Marth fight exactly alike in FE13, while Chrom fights differently.
If I'm wrong, tell me, but it doesn't seem like Lucina and Chrom fight the same way.
Well, going off of the context of the cutscene where Chrom and Lucina fight, they have near identical moves, and Chrom even notices this and asks who taught "Marth" to fight like that. "Marth," of course, responds with "my father."

So in the context of the story, I believe they are supposed to have similar fighting styles.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
He's one of the only characters that especially NEEDS it because of that shoulder guard.
because the people with eye patches and scars didn't need it more.

also, it would be nice to have a Chrom alt but... it'd be tough to stomach the "look, told ya he would be lame and not unique! trololol" comments that are bound to happen.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
because the people with eye patches and scars didn't need it more.

also, it would be nice to have a Chrom alt but... it'd be tough to stomach the "look, told ya he would be lame and not unique! trololol" comments that are bound to happen.
Don't you guys already get those kinds of comments due to Sakurai saying Chrom wouldn't be that unique?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is how I see their fighting styles:

LUCINA

CHROM

Not even close to accurate with Lucina/Marth. The only sorta stab move they have is one of the attacks in their Side B, lol.
Anything is fine for me at this point.
Then why not give this campaign a disclaimer "hey, we'd be okay with an official alternate outfit as well!"

(regardless, you're gonna get mods with alternate outfits for Chrom thanks to his Smash 4 model, so you could always do it yourself and easily add him over Lucina, Marth, Robin, or even freaking Pikachu)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Or they were just lazy and didn't want to create new animations for the DLC characters.
But they did create two different animations for the Lord class, the only class in the game which gets separate animations depending on the character.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
I actually would not be completely opposed to having Chrom as an alt costume or a clone of Ike (don't think Marth would fit at all, if only because of his stance and the fact that we already have a Marth clone). That is, provided he has his own voice work and name and all. In all likelihood, this is the more probable outcome. And if Nintendo doesn't do it themselves, I have little doubt that someone would eventually attempt it with mods.

But, I'd prefer to push for Chrom being his own unique character. Even if he's not as fantastically unique as some fan movesets have made him, I'd like him to be himself rather than be constrained to Ike or Marth's parameters. I think he'd be faster than Ike but slower than Marth...I have trouble seeing him be as extreme as either of those two.

So, I'd continue to aim for the bigger thing (Chrom as a unique fighter), but I wouldn't be upset if the smaller thing (Chrom as a clone) happened.

(As a partially related side note, I find it funny that people think 3 or 4 blue haired people is too much, but are unopposed to Takamaru, a swordsman with hair that looks bluish in a lot of his art, and have no trouble with a roster that could include Link, Young Link, Isaac, and Shulk, all of whom are blond haired humans who are seen with swords [even if I am to understand that Isaac uses magic...never played so I can't be sure].)

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, the most ideal notion would have been to have Chrom as a Lucina alternate costume (vice-versa) if she/he were not a clone. It would have made sense and both would have had a move-set closer to the original source material; however, given the circumstances. I am content with what we have at the moment. I would like Chrom in the game in a more significant capacity whether it be as a costume or a DLC clone of Ike.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Not even close to accurate with Lucina/Marth. The only sorta stab move they have is one of the attacks in their Side B, lol.
In Awakening I mean, she has some stab moves and a semi-graceful style.

(regardless, you're gonna get mods with alternate outfits for Chrom thanks to his Smash 4 model, so you could always do it yourself and easily add him over Lucina, Marth, Robin, or even freaking Pikachu)
That's gonna take soooome time. But I'm gonna be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom