• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I am fairly certain that it was our favorite clone character, Dark Pit. However, after Sakurai was flamed for including Palutena; the reasons cited pertaining to his inherent biases, he decided to take quick action and turn one of the alternates into a character! :awesome:

But seriously, it would have been great to see Chrom in Smash. Despite the notion that I was predominantly a Robin supporter, I still thought that Chrom would be a great choice and I always challenged the sentiment that he would be "a generic swordsmen" or that "he would offer nothing to the roster." I was a Chrom fan before I was a Robin fan.
I thought that Chrom was a shoo-in. Being the main character and resident blue-haired swordsman and all. I thought Lucina had 0 chance, because she wasn't the main character, and that even if Awakening had 2 reps it would be Chrom and Robin.

I think this is the first time Sakurai has included characters other than the main character of a certain game, instead of the main character.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think this is the first time Sakurai has included characters other than the main character of a certain game, instead of the main character.
That depends on whether or not you view Robin as a main character.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Even if one thinks they're less than Chrom, you can't deny the fact that Robin is certainly one of the main characters, can you?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well IMO it's kinda like one whole family of the three coming to the game - Robin's main newcomer, Lucy's a clone, and Chrom's the Final Smash. But all three fight and inspire each other to the victory shared together- I wanna think the three as #TeamYlisse.

Sometimes tho I keep wondering if there'll be anything redeemable coming for Chrom after this. It's undeniable that he couldn't bring anything new to the table (heck, Lucina's taking that up to eleven if lookin' canonically at Awakening), but I hope it doesn't mean he'll stay forever a stock Lord with just manservice for those outside of FE-fandom/in Smash-fandom unaware of him: even if it's bit of a stretch to say that Sakurai dictates the future and popularity/reception of a character unless it's from his own input.

Like, I'd wanna say that Chrom has noticeable flaw to overcome for what Sakurai said about him, but I only know that it's up to I.S to see if they make him get developed up more skill-wise or gain more of his own identity instead of being compared to Marth and/or Ike all the time (or being said as their middle.)

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so - I'd be great to tell the lord lying on the arena ground to get up and start overcoming the very flaw that led him to the very position he's at (he had family/friends to give him fleetway to a major role but him not being unique enough still there. Same for Lucina, despite being in the roster.) At least we have now fellas like (Captain) Toad which I hope will challenge Sakurai's orecious impressions and role placements about 'em.

I can only hope for SMT x FE to help Chrom and his daughter develop up, get like that Hyrule Warriors-treatment the playable Zelda-characters featured have gotten as of late- they look so magnificent and fun to play as.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I was just reading the Serenes Forest discussion about Chorm as DLC (obviously). WOW! The amount of negativity is astounding. I mean, Serenes Forest is the site for Fire Emblem, and to see so little support is baffling.

No I would not replace Robin with Chrom. I love Robin, just not as much as I like Chrom.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not surprised that Serenes Forest doesn't really care about Chrom. Most people there would rather see characters from other FE games instead. Not to mention that Awakening is kind of controversial among old-school hardcore fans of the franchise.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
In response to that little Chrom figure thing... oh my gods it's adorable I need a dozen.

As for the question above: No, I wouldn't replace Robin with Chrom. But I would've preferred them to be in together, even if they were duo characters similar to Ice Climbers or Brawl's Pokemon Trainer. If I were Sakurai and I had to make the choice of one OR the other and there was absolutely no chance whatsoever that I could get both in (due to no time or some other restriction), I would've hated myself for it but I would've probably had to choose Robin.

That said, I too dislike the idea that we may have set a precedent for Avatar type characters becoming FE representatives. We have quite a number of avatars in this Smash already, and although Robin is vastly more fleshed out than the others, it still doesn't quite leave me with the greatest feeling in the world. Like, did we REALLY represent Awakening as well as we could have with a character who is absolutely his own person in every single way? Well...

Regardless, I could well end up maining Robin is s/he's any good. Not sure I would vote for him/her to return in a future Smash, though.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Guys, I just thought of something. What if Chrom is DLC but Robin's FS doesn't have to change? How?

Instead we get Chrom as a great lord as playable. Shield and Lance incorporated, he won't be confused with regular Chrom. Plus, he'd already be unique enough to differentiate himself from Marth and Ike.

"But he's still Chrom! He can't be a Final Smash and a character!"
Yeah but we've had Young Link and Link before. Great Lord Chrom is technically older than Lord Chrom.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Guys, I just thought of something. What if Chrom is DLC but Robin's FS doesn't have to change? How?

Instead we get Chrom as a great lord as playable. Shield and Lance incorporated, he won't be confused with regular Chrom. Plus, he'd already be unique enough to differentiate himself from Marth and Ike.

"But he's still Chrom! He can't be a Final Smash and a character!"
Yeah but we've had Young Link and Link before. Great Lord Chrom is technically older than Lord Chrom.
You're really

there.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Chrom in a Great Lord outfit and Chrom in a Lord outfit are both still Chrom. It's not like it's that difficult to change a final smash to remove Chrom.

I mean, I don't think DLC Chrom is happening, but it makes more sense to change the final smash.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
He was merely proposing an idea.
Keep in mind it was once possible to have two variations on the field.

EDIT: Two variations of MARIO specifically.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chrom in a Great Lord outfit and Chrom in a Lord outfit are both still Chrom. It's not like it's that difficult to change a final smash to remove Chrom.

I mean, I don't think DLC Chrom is happening, but it makes more sense to change the final smash.
But as a Great Lord he'll also be different, having a shield and lance.
It's killing two birds with one stone. Though changing the FS is possible, and using that same HD model to save some time. It's still another possibility for those that don't think changing the FS is probable.

He was merely proposing an idea.
Keep in mind it was once possible to have two variations on the field.

EDIT: Two variations of MARIO specifically.
Thanks for the idea. Chrom and Great Lord Chrom as seperate playable characters :awesome:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I would actually really like that. Good Idea!
most people are wanting Javelins for some variety, but i think that is not a good representation of the Cavalier tree Chrom has, (for great lord, we have Aether). Since that class tree has some actually notable skills like Luna and Aegis, it might be better represented by that, while archer (who has crappy skills for smash) could get actual weapon representation.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
What if Chrom had standards like Pit in Brawl did, where his weapons changed slightly with the moves?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The more ideas the better. We need to get things illustrated, though. If DLC really is a thing, we have to make ourselves be heard before development.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
i think one aspect of Fire Emblme that Robin tried to do, weapon changing, could be implemented somehow with Chrom's swordplay.

The Falchion is his signature blade, sure... but it IS pretty weak. Oe of Chrom's specials could allow him to swap around some weapons for some effects, and he can use them til they break, such as...

Silver Sword: + Damage, - Speed
Armorslayer: + Shield damage, + Damage and Knockback, + Reach, - Speed (much - Speed than above), ? More weight (could hinder or help...)
Killing Edge: + Faster start-up for attacks, + Reach, - More ending lag
Brave Sword: + Faster Start-up for attacks, + Less ending lag, - Damage and Knockback - Much more fragile
Levin Sword: + Range (extra range for thunder sparks), - Damage (due to Chrom having low Magic)
Sol: + strong Self Heal on hit (1/2nd of damage?), -Speed, - Much more Fragile
Glass Sword: + Damage, + Speed, + Knockback, - Much more fragile
Rapier: + Shield damage, + Damage, - Knockback, - Reach
Superior Edge: + Shield Damage, + Priority, - Speed
Roy's Blade: +Power at the center of the blade, - Power at the tip of the blade (spikes and meteor smashes Chrom might have are only for the sweetspot), + Fall speed, - weight, + t3h ph1r3z

ok, i'm only mildly kidding bout the last one but i think it's a good idea to bring some of Roy's stuff back if my idea holds water.

Maybe this could be limited to a few specific moves, whereas in others he is always stuck with the Falchion. Some of the blades i listed could be Custom move options... and if they are feeling like it, some axes or Lances could make the jump

By the way, folks, how do you see Chrom's physics working? Most people envision him as a lighter, faster and weaker Ike... i feel like chrom might not be that exactly.

Here's how i'd want Chrom:

*Fast at the ground, with poor aerial mobility
*His attacks have mild power, a bit stronger than Marth's sourspots
*He has a good jump, but poor recovery (anyone remember my Aether idea? that could actually go far, but if he doesn't have super armor...)
* Is a bit heavier than the average, with a decent fall speed.
*obviously good reach due to sword
* A good combo-oriented character
* Has trouble finishing people off due to his lower-than-usual knockback growth
* Prefers horizontal slashes instead of broad swings like we see in Ike's Fsmash
* Has a forward stab for either a tilt or aerial.
* Should be invincible just like in Robin's Final Smash... jk

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
i think one aspect of Fire Emblme that Robin tried to do, weapon changing, could be implemented somehow with Chrom's swordplay.

The Falchion is his signature blade, sure... but it IS pretty weak. Oe of Chrom's specials could allow him to swap around some weapons for some effects, and he can use them til they break, such as...

Silver Sword: + Damage, - Speed
Armorslayer: + Shield damage, + Damage and Knockback, + Reach, - Speed (much - Speed than above), ? More weight (could hinder or help...)
Killing Edge: + Faster start-up for attacks, + Reach, - More ending lag
Brave Sword: + Faster Start-up for attacks, + Less ending lag, - Damage and Knockback - Much more fragile
Levin Sword: + Range (extra range for thunder sparks), - Damage (due to Chrom having low Magic)
Sol: + strong Self Heal on hit (1/2nd of damage?), -Speed, - Much more Fragile
Glass Sword: + Damage, + Speed, + Knockback, - Much more fragile
Rapier: + Shield damage, + Damage, - Knockback, - Reach
Superior Edge: + Shield Damage, + Priority, - Speed
Roy's Blade: +Power at the center of the blade, - Power at the tip of the blade (spikes and meteor smashes Chrom might have are only for the sweetspot), + Fall speed, - weight, + t3h ph1r3z

ok, i'm only mildly kidding bout the last one but i think it's a good idea to bring some of Roy's stuff back if my idea holds water.

Maybe this could be limited to a few specific moves, whereas in others he is always stuck with the Falchion. Some of the blades i listed could be Custom move options... and if they are feeling like it, some axes or Lances could make the jump

By the way, folks, how do you see Chrom's physics working? Most people envision him as a lighter, faster and weaker Ike... i feel like chrom might not be that exactly.

Here's how i'd want Chrom:

*Fast at the ground, with poor aerial mobility
*His attacks have mild power, a bit stronger than Marth's sourspots
*He has a good jump, but poor recovery (anyone remember my Aether idea? that could actually go far, but if he doesn't have super armor...)
* Is a bit heavier than the average, with a decent fall speed.
*obviously good reach due to sword
* A good combo-oriented character
* Has trouble finishing people off due to his lower-than-usual knockback growth
* Prefers horizontal slashes instead of broad swings like we see in Ike's Fsmash
* Has a forward stab for either a tilt or aerial.
* Should be invincible just like in Robin's Final Smash... jk
I like those sword ideas. He should only have Falchion plus one more, and the second should have around 10 uses before breaking per stock.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I like those sword ideas. He should only have Falchion plus one more, and the second should have around 10 uses before breaking per stock.
Falchion + Rapier + Vulnerary (as a taunt with 3 uses, cures 10%). Chargeable Neutral B Javelin projectile, speed, range and knockback depends on how charged is.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
it would be interesting, maybe, if instead of custom moves, Chrom could choose one of 9 extra swords to bring with him, with a 10th being the default one. or maybe say... up and side special could work with normal custom moves, and the custom slots of down and neutral could be used as his swords?

thinking a bit more... i'm not sure if a single one would be enough. 3 is too much, so maybe 2? one sword could be a tilt special and the other a smash special.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Different swords or weapons used in Special moves are fine, but switchable swords that affect all of his standard moves should be limited. They'll have to program and test each one, so 3 would probably be the maximum amount. I'm only betting on one extra sword, though.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Actually, when I think about it, it's kinda odd that only NOW is a character (Robin) representing the limited use weapons that FE is known for. If Chrom IS in as DLC, that would be brilliant, if he was another character to show that limitation of the FE series, I especially like the 3 use vulnerary taunt.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Actually, when I think about it, it's kinda odd that only NOW is a character (Robin) representing the limited use weapons that FE is known for. If Chrom IS in as DLC, that would be brilliant, if he was another character to show that limitation of the FE series, I especially like the 3 use vulnerary taunt.
That is an excellent idea. We need to make these into images as soon as possible.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Couldn't any Fire Emblem character theoretically use the 3 vulnerary taunt idea?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apparently, Alfonzo IS a trained (hehe) swordsman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom